Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Since this thread has (d)evolved into arguing about minutiae and believability
Boy...I'll say. Talk about nitpicking.

For those questioning the timeline, this is interesting:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6u75t3/lets_do_the_math_on_how_long_it_would_take_a/

And perhaps the night king is smarter than people think?

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/this-theory-about-the-night-king-is-more-terrifying-than-anything-in-game-of-thrones-598962
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
Quote:
Since this thread has (d)evolved into arguing about minutiae and believability

Boy...I'll say. Talk about nitpicking.

For those questioning the timeline, this is interesting:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6u75t3/lets_do_the_math_on_how_long_it_would_take_a/

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/this-theory-about-the-night-king-is-more-terrifying-than-anything-in-game-of-thrones-598962[/quote[/url]]

Talk about minutiae my wife and daughter were watching a live Podcast last night that went about 2.5 hours long. My daughter tells me that the Podcast she watches about Teen Wolf last about 3 hours every week.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/this-theory-about-the-night-king-is-more-terrifying-than-anything-in-game-of-thrones-598962

The only similarity in locations is the presence of a rock grouping. If the producers were trying to feed that storyline, they sure went out of their way to create vastly different landscapes for those two scenes when a copy and paste would have conveyed the message.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

Since this thread has (d)evolved into arguing about minutiae and believability, ...

HA! True! But, allow me to hop on my soapbox one more time on this issue. I am willing to completely suspend my common sense and go entirely into the realm of fantasy on this show and in any movie (like, for example, Fast and Furious 8). So, I will go into your world and I will accept your "rules" in that world. You (the writers) get to create the rules. But, you need to follow them. You need to be consistent in their application. Anything else is purely sloppy writing, which should be called out.

Now, this is the greatest show I have ever seen. BUT, there is some damn sloppy writing at times and gross violations of the rules set by the writers. I know they are rushed for time, but, come on! They are better than this!

Ok, I'm done ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More minutiae look at the eye of the wolf (not eagle)on the pommel . Is this an unintended special effect? the attached article mentions it could be his hand but that looks to be behind the sword. Also says it could be water but then it should run down and looks like it opens up. Unless splashing up off the ice.

https://www.joe.ie/...n-snows-sword-599029

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Aug 22, 17 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy shit! It sure looks like the eye opened! That could an optical illusion, but I hope it was intentional.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, what ever happened to ghost?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not before seen an eagle with a mouth full of canines?

Is this another suspend your beliefs moment everyone is talking about? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
More minutiae look at the eye of the eagle on the pommel . Is this an unintended special effect? the attached article mentions it could be his hand but that looks to be behind the sword. Also says it could be water but then it should run down and looks like it opens up. Unless splashing up off the ice.

Not for nothin', but that's a wolf on the pommel. Jon and Jorah talked about it in the episode when Jon offered to give the sword back to the Mormont family. Mentioned that Jeor had the bear removed and a wolf put on. Not that this has anything to do with that cool special effect.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
I've not before seen an eagle with a mouth full of canines?

Is this another suspend your beliefs moment everyone is talking about? ;)

My mistake, I was too distracted looking at the eye. I took the name longclaw and the head part and just ran with it.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're right, see above. I was too distracted by the eye thing trying to figure out if it was an accident

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
More minutiae look at the eye of the wolf (not eagle)on the pommel . Is this an unintended special effect? the attached article mentions it could be his hand but that looks to be behind the sword. Also says it could be water but then it should run down and looks like it opens up. Unless splashing up off the ice.

Eye seems to move in sync with Jon's hand - maybe the eye part is glass and we're seeing a slightly refracted view of what's going on behind the pommel?
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Eye seems to move in sync with Jon's hand - maybe the eye part is glass and we're seeing a slightly refracted view of what's going on behind the pommel?

Good catch. Maybe reflecting off the camera lens. Way to ruin it !!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is the CGI crew was sneaking in meaningless easter eggs, a la Disney animators.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:

Since this thread has (d)evolved into arguing about minutiae and believability, ...

HA! True! But, allow me to hop on my soapbox one more time on this issue. I am willing to completely suspend my common sense and go entirely into the realm of fantasy on this show and in any movie (like, for example, Fast and Furious 8). So, I will go into your world and I will accept your "rules" in that world. You (the writers) get to create the rules. But, you need to follow them. You need to be consistent in their application. Anything else is purely sloppy writing, which should be called out.

Now, this is the greatest show I have ever seen. BUT, there is some damn sloppy writing at times and gross violations of the rules set by the writers. I know they are rushed for time, but, come on! They are better than this!

Ok, I'm done ...

You said it much better than I could. Thank you, I'm done with the nitpicking too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obsidian is pretty brittle - I would bet that daggers are the longest practical weapons they could make (a sword would just shatter). Then again, you can stab a dragon with ice so what do I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:

Ok, I'm done ...

This is pretty much all I ask of any sic-fi/fantasy/horror story. You have to follow your own rules.

It has become obvious that the money has already been made off of GoT. Number of seasons is more important than number of episodes and coherent stories aren't important at all.

Still love the show but this season is getting frustrating.

Hey look everyone, there is Benjen, wonder what he has been up to ... Welp, there goes Benjen. Never mind.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:

Ok, I'm done ...

This is pretty much all I ask of any sic-fi/fantasy/horror story. You have to follow your own rules.

It has become obvious that the money has already been made off of GoT. Number of seasons is more important than number of episodes and coherent stories aren't important at all.

Still love the show but this season is getting frustrating.

Hey look everyone, there is Benjen, wonder what he has been up to ... Welp, there goes Benjen. Never mind.

Yeah I don't get the Benjen part either. Why couldn't he have just gotten on the horse with John. They weren't going to be able to chase down the horse. It makes no sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benjen and his Thurible, whoda thought it'd be useless against wite walkers.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Aug 22, 17 14:15
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:

Yeah I don't get the Benjen part either. Why couldn't he have just gotten on the horse with John. They weren't going to be able to chase down the horse. It makes no sense.

I agree it is not logical, but it kinda "makes sense" when we consider Benjen "Cold Hands" Stark and his story arc. He was stabbed in the stomach by an ice sword, but revived with a shard of dragon glass to the heart. This left him in a "tweener" state - not dead, but not alive. He wondered aloud why he had been "saved" but not "cured." He knew he had a mission, which is why he stayed north of the wall. He saved Bran and thought his mission was complete. But, it wasn't and he remained in his tweener state. That is until he saved Jon. Once he did so, he realized his mission was over and it was time for him to finally pass. So, he stayed and finally found peace.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
trimick wrote:

I agree it is not logical, but it kinda "makes sense" when we consider Benjen "Cold Hands" Stark and his story arc. He was stabbed in the stomach by an ice sword, but revived with a shard of dragon glass to the heart. This left him in a "tweener" state - not dead, but not alive. He wondered aloud why he had been "saved" but not "cured." He knew he had a mission, which is why he stayed north of the wall. He saved Bran and thought his mission was complete. But, it wasn't and he remained in his tweener state. That is until he saved Jon. Once he did so, he realized his mission was over and it was time for him to finally pass. So, he stayed and finally found peace.

Until raised by the Night King.....

Someone earlier mentioned that the money has already been made of GOT. Not sure about that, the books would sell like crazy if he ever finished them. But I am beginning to doubt he ever will. It has to be deflating for an artist to have their story told by someone else, even if it is only a streamlined version. If you believe that GRRM gave the HBO people an outline for where the story was going. I see this being a Brandon Sanderson WOT situation....
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
JSA wrote:
trimick wrote:

Until raised by the Night King.....

Well, I have a question about that. It appears the wights are a bit like Walkers in TWD. If they "just" kill you, you can be raised. But, sometimes they completely destroy/devour the victim, in which case, there is no coming back. It appeared the guys attacked by the wights were torn to pieces. There's no coming back from that. I think Benjen is the same. Considering he has taken dragon glass to the heart, I don't believe he can be raised by the Night King.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
And where did Jorah get the dragonglass weapons, and only he seems to have them?

A third viewing answered my own question: everyone who needed dragonglass had it. Jon had his Valyrian sword, Beric had his flaming sword, Gendry had his hammer, and everyone else (except the redshirts, perhaps) had dragonglass. Jorah had two daggers, Sandor had at least a hatchet, and even Tormund had an axe with multiple pieces of dragonglass.

Do I recall Jon loading a heavy box onto the rowboat when he departed Dragonstone? That likely was filled with dragonglass weapon bits.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
klehner wrote:
And where did Jorah get the dragonglass weapons, and only he seems to have them?

A third viewing answered my own question: everyone who needed dragonglass had it. Jon had his Valyrian sword, Beric had his flaming sword, Gendry had his hammer, and everyone else (except the redshirts, perhaps) had dragonglass. Jorah had two daggers, Sandor had at least a hatchet, and even Tormund had an axe with multiple pieces of dragonglass.

Do I recall Jon loading a heavy box onto the rowboat when he departed Dragonstone? That likely was filled with dragonglass weapon bits.

You'd have to be pretty dumb to know you needed dragon glass to fight them, mine a bunch of dragon glass, then not make sure everyone had some.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I dont think Benjen is coming back in any form - firstly, he wasn't alive when he was killed; secondly, he'll have been ripped apart, and there's no coming back from that; thirdly, who would know even if he was given the size of the undead horde.

I wonder how many white walkers are left seeing as a few of their number have been 'killed' in the last few series (Sam; Hardhome; wight hunt).

They just need to knock a few more WW off to thin the undead horde a little more prior to final showdown.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply

Prev Next