Prev Next
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
cartsman wrote:
RandMart wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
Another big reveal was Gilly mentioning how Raegars marriage was annulled so that he could marry Leanna in secret, therefore legitimizing Jon. Guess Dany will be the one having to bend the knee.

Good grabs. I figured on the Rhaegar thing as soon as Gilly started talking about his annulment. If it's true that he did it so that he could marry Lyanna Stark -- and he did in fact marry her -- that would make Jon a Targaryen and Rhaegar's legitimate heir as well as the rightful king of the Seven Kingdoms, correct?

I'm wondering how long it's gonna take for Sam to say "Wait? Gilly? What was that you said about Raegar? Raegar Targaryen? Read that again!"
"We left the book at The Citadel"
"Well, fook it, we're goin' back fer it"

I was expecting him to stop halfway through his rant and do exactly that. I guess if he's now headed north then maybe they'll get the story from Bran and then Sam/Gilly will be able to provide the proof (on the basis that Dany isn't really going to go for "my slightly odd adopted brother saw it in a vision")

Meera said she's going to visit her father who was at the tower of Joy. I suspect that the news of john's parentage comes from him.

Maybe, but anything he says is basically only hearsay that he's got third hand (Lyanna whispering to New, who then tells him). A documented account by the maester who carried out the annulment (and the wedding?) would carry a lot more weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
In the books there are a couple of sisters.

Yeah, I'm going mainly on what's in the show. I don't recall there being sisters at dinner when Sam stopped by his house on the way to Old Town.

The same could be said with House Tyrell. The main most powerful branch is gone, but I'm sure there are others out there down the line so while the family tree is hurt, the name could still be there.

Best house being destroyed is the Frey's. Good work there.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I agree, similar to Joffrey and Ramsay, its more "when" than "if at this point. Arya could do it but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be Brienne that does it where she's sworn to protect Sansa.

Speaking of, I loved it last night when Jon was at East Watch going over who they could bring with them north of the wall, and Tormund asking "What about the big woman?" They need to get those two kids together.

And how many of them are going?

SEVEN!!!

It's always SEVEN

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
sslothrop wrote:
cartsman wrote:
RandMart wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
Another big reveal was Gilly mentioning how Raegars marriage was annulled so that he could marry Leanna in secret, therefore legitimizing Jon. Guess Dany will be the one having to bend the knee.

Good grabs. I figured on the Rhaegar thing as soon as Gilly started talking about his annulment. If it's true that he did it so that he could marry Lyanna Stark -- and he did in fact marry her -- that would make Jon a Targaryen and Rhaegar's legitimate heir as well as the rightful king of the Seven Kingdoms, correct?

I'm wondering how long it's gonna take for Sam to say "Wait? Gilly? What was that you said about Raegar? Raegar Targaryen? Read that again!"
"We left the book at The Citadel"
"Well, fook it, we're goin' back fer it"

I was expecting him to stop halfway through his rant and do exactly that. I guess if he's now headed north then maybe they'll get the story from Bran and then Sam/Gilly will be able to provide the proof (on the basis that Dany isn't really going to go for "my slightly odd adopted brother saw it in a vision")

Meera said she's going to visit her father who was at the tower of Joy. I suspect that the news of john's parentage comes from him.

Maybe, but anything he says is basically only hearsay that he's got third hand (Lyanna whispering to New, who then tells him). A documented account by the maester who carried out the annulment (and the wedding?) would carry a lot more weight.

Ned strolls out of Rhaegar's love nest with a newborn and his sister's body, it's pretty convincing evidence of parentage. Gilly's discovery is important to establish John's legitimacy as heir to the Iron Throne.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I've always wondered is, who hired the assassin to kill Bran? The whole Joffrey did it to impress King Robert always struck me as more than a little contrived. Plus, I think he would have bragged to Sansa about when she was his captive. The obvious suspects are Cersei and Jaime. Jaime confessed his crimes to Catelyn so he's in the clear. I would guess Cersei over Joffrey. It's a key plot point, early in the story. I would expect GRRM had something specific in mind.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Dickon

I couldn't figure out where Dickon came from this season since the actor also was in Blacksails. After looking it up this morning I realize that he was a recast and where his character fits in. It was distracting trying to figure out how the pirate went back in time.

https://winteriscoming.net/...me-thrones-season-7/

He's mentioned a bit in the first book, with Samwell's arrival at Castle Black and his father's disowning (as well as threatened murder) of him if he didn't take the black and join the Night's Watch. Dickon, Rickon...that's been a running joke the last couple of episodes. First it was Jaime with Randyll Tarly, when he first meets Dickon and asks "You're Rickon?" Then Bronn has some sport with his name.

Dickon seems a good egg, though. I hope he made it through all that dragonfire. I'd hate to see his calcined bones in the next episode. LOL!

I assume they are setting Dickon up to have some sort of notable role or impact in the story. He's too striking of an actor to just be there as a redshirt. And considering how limited their time is to get the story finished, they spent a lot of valuable screen time with Dickon.

I thought that was a really sharp analysis. Until last night.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
Endo wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Dickon

I couldn't figure out where Dickon came from this season since the actor also was in Blacksails. After looking it up this morning I realize that he was a recast and where his character fits in. It was distracting trying to figure out how the pirate went back in time.

https://winteriscoming.net/...me-thrones-season-7/

He's mentioned a bit in the first book, with Samwell's arrival at Castle Black and his father's disowning (as well as threatened murder) of him if he didn't take the black and join the Night's Watch. Dickon, Rickon...that's been a running joke the last couple of episodes. First it was Jaime with Randyll Tarly, when he first meets Dickon and asks "You're Rickon?" Then Bronn has some sport with his name.

Dickon seems a good egg, though. I hope he made it through all that dragonfire. I'd hate to see his calcined bones in the next episode. LOL!

I assume they are setting Dickon up to have some sort of notable role or impact in the story. He's too striking of an actor to just be there as a redshirt. And considering how limited their time is to get the story finished, they spent a lot of valuable screen time with Dickon.

I thought that was a really sharp analysis. Until last night.

Yeah, clearly Dickon was just introduced so the audience would think it was a bad thing when Dany burned them up. If it was just the old man, nobody would have cared.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
One thing I've always wondered is, who hired the assassin to kill Bran? The whole Joffrey did it to impress King Robert always struck me as more than a little contrived. Plus, I think he would have bragged to Sansa about when she was his captive. The obvious suspects are Cersei and Jaime. Jaime confessed his crimes to Catelyn so he's in the clear. I would guess Cersei over Joffrey. It's a key plot point, early in the story. I would expect GRRM had something specific in mind.

Wasn't there something about Littlefinger re Bran's assasination attempt? Or is it to do with Bran witnessing Cersei and Jamie together? It's too long ago for me to remember....I don't know how some people remember all of these details on some of the forums etc discussing it. Do they dedicate their lives tot his stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Spot on, the whole speculation about who has the right to the throne based on birth is a waste of time - all that matters is power, whether that's based on gold, military might, or support.

Heck, Cersei has absolutely no rightful claim to the throne other than that she's in possession of it.

A long while back Varys (or it might have been Tyrion) asked the riddle: a king, a sept and a rich man were in a room with a sell sword. Each one tells him to kill the other two. Who walks out of the room with the sell sword? Much discussion ensues, with the arguments which trumps which: religion vs money vs royalty. The answer depends on who the sell sword determines has the power.

Yep, after Tommen's death, Cersei had power (the name, the money, an army, and the capital) and no challengers, therefore she is ascended the throne unimpeded.

WTF is happening with Dorne anyways? I know they're a story backwater, but they're the only region not to commit ground troops so far. Similar with Riverlands. I know it's in a mess, and the male Freys have been wiped out, but Edmure is still about surely? Or has nobody thought to check on his cell yet?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:

Speaking of, I loved it last night when Jon was at East Watch going over who they could bring with them north of the wall, and Tormund asking "What about the big woman?" They need to get those two kids together.

Justin Turner is the love child of Brienne and Tormund (for some reason the link for Tinypic is being deleted)

http://www.latimes.com/...51014-htmlstory.html

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Last edited by: Billabong: Aug 15, 17 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:

In last week's episode (the one with the loot train battle), Bran asked Littlefinger who wanted him dead and Baelish replied "Someone very wealthy." That's a teaser right there. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
WTF is happening with Dorne anyways? I know they're a story backwater, but they're the only region not to commit ground troops so far. Similar with Riverlands. I know it's in a mess, and the male Freys have been wiped out, but Edmure is still about surely? Or has nobody thought to check on his cell yet?

Edmure was pretty hapless. Wondering if the Blackfish is still about somewhere, always seemed odd that we didn't see his death scene.

The Dorne royal family has basically been wiped out, guess that would explain why things are a bit quiet down there. Any idea who would be next in line after the Martells? The Daynes? Maybe we'll see a new Sword of the Morning leading the Dornish army and adding another Valerian sword to the tally?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:

I thought it was Jamie ? Isn't the dagger his? Which he gave to the assassins a few seasons ago.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:

For your reading pleasure, for what it's worth: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/...2051-brans-assassin/
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
sslothrop wrote:

I thought it was Jamie ? Isn't the dagger his? Which he gave to the assassins a few seasons ago.

No one really knows where the dagger came from, just that someone tried to use it on Bran, who was in a coma, recovering from being tossed out the window when he saw Jaime pounding Cersei in the tower {"I thought he was pounding her in the ass?"]

http://www.vulture.com/...ttlefinger-bran.html

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
o one really knows where the dagger came from, just that someone tried to use it on Bran, who was in a coma, recovering from being tossed out the window when he saw Jaime pounding Cersei in the tower

When they found out he survived the fall I thought that's when he gave someone the dagger? Or had it in his hand talking to Cersi about fixing the problem.

ETA - I looked it up. Littlefinger made the assertion it was Tyrians dagger back in season one. That must be what I remember

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Aug 15, 17 6:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my speculative take on where this is going:

As a story arc - Daenerys Targaryen wants to break the cyclical wheel of Westerosi conflict between kings and wanna-be-kings that results in suffering by the people. By breaking this wheel, she will re-instate a bigger cyclical wheel of of Targaryen rule, going back to Aegon I, who initially conquered Westros with his 3 dragons and sister-wives all those thousands of years ago.

To make all the pieces fit Daenerys will need to fall in love and get together with John Snow and then find out that he's actually her older-half brother. But that's OK, they are Targaryans. First he'll bend the knee to get her help to save the north, then she'll bend the knee when it becomes clear he's the eldest heir to the Iron Throne. Together they will end up ruling Westros. The song of Ice and Fire is about them - He's Ice and she's Fire.

House Stark will fall to one of the girls - probably Sansa but maybe Arya. One of them likely ends up dead before the end. Sansa at the hands of a mad with jealousy Peter Balish, Arya at the hands of a white walker defending her family?

House Lanister - I can't see how Cercei survives - she's been the baddie all 7 seasons. Maybe Tyrion survives and takes on as lord of Castely Rock? Maybe Jamie survives and is made to take the Black and becomes Lord Commander of the Night's Watch?

House Baratheon - There isn't much here to build on, but I figure Gendry Baratheon (or Waters) was re-introduced as a likable character to re-ignite the house lineage?

The other major and minor Houses won't fare as well - after all, the story is not about them. The Marells, Tyrells, Tullys, Freys, Greyjoys, Arryn, etc. will all end up either completely or effectively wiped.
Some possible exceptions - House Tarly may rise up as a major house under Sam Tarly. House Tormont may rise under Jorah - those would be 'feel-good' moves by GRRM, but by no means likely.

The White Walker threat will be neutralized by the unification of the 7 kingdoms under John Snow & Danny T. I figure the Children of the Forest will come out for one final hurrah to destroy the monsters they originally created, and ultimately this will be the end of the Children of the Forest in Westros. Like Tolkien's elves - they will disappear from the world into legend.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
ETA - I looked it up. Littlefinger made the assertion it was Tyrion's dagger back in season one. That must be what I remember

If Littlefinger said ii is so, clearly it is NOT

I thought Jon Snow's sword, Arya's Needle, and the dagger were all Valerian steel, but I can't see where Needle is confirmed as such, only that it was made by the same swordsmith who made Jon's

ETA: It's fun to go back to Season One for these

"Try not to stab your sister with it"

"There is only one god: Death" Didn't Jaqen say the same? Hmmmm

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
... the short hair makes her look more hard, callous and crazy.

She's kinda got a Joan of Arc thing going on

If I know anything, it's this: when a woman is known for long hair, and she cuts short .... get ready for a battle

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If Littlefinger said ii is so, clearly it is NOT

In was fun reading about stuff from season one. The theory was that little finger said it was tyrian's to stir the pot esssentually. He all but admitted it was his dagger but then said he lost it in a card game or something. He either lost it to Tyrian or it made its was into tyrians possession.

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like a lot of your theory. A lot is pointing to Jon being outted soon as a Targaryen.
Earlier in this thread there was speculation if Sam could return to head his house. I think Jon will either free him of his commitment to the nights watch or simple let him return home to rule his house. Either reminding him of his oath or a promise of someone to take his place.

I think someone important dies next week. Little worried about Ayra. Her character is getting the right amount of likeable and been important to make it a shocking death.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

As a story arc - Daenerys Targaryen wants to break the cyclical wheel of Westerosi conflict between kings and wanna-be-kings that results in suffering by the people. By breaking this wheel, she will re-instate a bigger cyclical wheel of of Targaryen rule, going back to Aegon I, who initially conquered Westros with his 3 dragons and sister-wives all those thousands of years ago.

To make all the pieces fit Daenerys will need to fall in love and get together with John Snow and then find out that he's actually her older-half brother. But that's OK, they are Targaryans. First he'll bend the knee to get her help to save the north, then she'll bend the knee when it becomes clear he's the eldest heir to the Iron Throne. Together they will end up ruling Westros. The song of Ice and Fire is about them - He's Ice and she's Fire.

House Stark will fall to one of the girls - probably Sansa but maybe Arya. One of them likely ends up dead before the end. Sansa at the hands of a mad with jealousy Peter Balish, Arya at the hands of a white walker defending her family?

House Lanister - I can't see how Cercei survives - she's been the baddie all 7 seasons. Maybe Tyrion survives and takes on as lord of Castely Rock? Maybe Jamie survives and is made to take the Black and becomes Lord Commander of the Night's Watch?

House Baratheon - There isn't much here to build on, but I figure Gendry Baratheon (or Waters) was re-introduced as a likable character to re-ignite the house lineage?

The other major and minor Houses won't fare as well - after all, the story is not about them. The Marells, Tyrells, Tullys, Freys, Greyjoys, Arryn, etc. will all end up either completely or effectively wiped.
Some possible exceptions - House Tarly may rise up as a major house under Sam Tarly. House Tormont may rise under Jorah - those would be 'feel-good' moves by GRRM, but by no means likely.

The White Walker threat will be neutralized by the unification of the 7 kingdoms under John Snow & Danny T. I figure the Children of the Forest will come out for one final hurrah to destroy the monsters they originally created, and ultimately this will be the end of the Children of the Forest in Westros. Like Tolkien's elves - they will disappear from the world into legend.

I just want to point out one mistake in your post.

John isn't Dany's brother he would be her nephew. Rhaegar is John's father and Dany's older brother. Since we found out that Rhaegar married John's mother Lyanna last episode it would make him an actual heir.

I really hope they don't kill off Jamie and would like to see him take the black on the Wall.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

I just want to point out one mistake in your post.

John isn't Dany's brother he would be her nephew. Rhaegar is John's father and Dany's older brother. Since we found out that Rhaegar married John's mother Lyanna last episode it would make him an actual heir.

I really hope they don't kill off Jamie and would like to see him take the black on the Wall.
and would like to see him be the one to finally kill Cersei

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
trimick wrote:

and would like to see him be the one to finally kill Cersei

Hey, if Maester Qyburn can reanimate The Mountain as FrankenVader, and could build the Giant Crossbow to shoot the dragons, why can't be build Jamie a decent artificial hand?

He'd just need a donor, and some way to bolt it on?

Quote Reply

Prev Next