Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Devastating losses from the war leaving few left to fight the WWs would,give that suspense too. And Cersei is smarter than that. She will do what she can,to,survive and wait,to,plot another day. Remember what Balon Greyjoy said. No man has ever died from bending the knee and he may rise again w blade in hand. She could cut a,deal,to,stay alive and devote,her forces to,the fight against the WWs. Why anyone would allow her to live tho is another question.

Yeah, I just don't see a series that is entirely based on scheming and plotting to get the throne, taking that off the table for the final season. The series is called "Game of Thrones" not "Can we beat the Zombies." Let's face it, the white walkers are cool and all, but having the throne resolved this season would make the final season anti-climactic. At no time in the series has there been just a single major plot line. It would make no sense to have a final season where the entire plot was just about beating the walkers.

Yes, HBO decided to call the show Game of Thrones, but the creator calls it "A Song Of Ice and Fire". Only the first book is called A Game of Thrones. The books we are supposed in now are The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. The series is about plotting yes, but the underlying theme has been the oncoming Winter and how to survive. "A Song of Ice and Fire" sure sounds like its a battle between the forces of cold (Winter Walkers) and those that control the fire (dragons). Why wouldn't it be mostly focused on scheming to this point, most the world doesn't know of the oncoming threat.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Great episode though. Shame the gold got through to KL though. That would have been an interesting set up for the rest of the war: both sides only having the forces in the field to command with no prospect of mercenaries to bolster them (or better yet, Euron goes and gets the golden company, then they arrive to find that Cersei can't actually pay them).
Yeah, but don't forget Cersei is on the hook until the gold is delivered to the Iron Bank in Braavos. There's still a sea journey to complete, and, well, dragons

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
...don't forget Cersei is on the hook until the gold is delivered to the Iron Bank in Braavos.

Braavos, huh? Arya knows the way; maybe she should come along?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the dragons too much? I mean we have see what they can do. It is obvious she can destroy the army and not the cities. They have been made so powerful that every time they are going to get killed it is going to be in a kinda bullshit way. I don't know. There is too much power in this world. I mean the ice zombie threat is ringing hollow now because they endless supplies of the magic substance that defeats them for whatever reason so we know they aren't going to effect the story. Ugh! Epics!
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
Are the dragons too much? I mean we have see what they can do. It is obvious she can destroy the army and not the cities. They have been made so powerful that every time they are going to get killed it is going to be in a kinda bullshit way. I don't know. There is too much power in this world. I mean the ice zombie threat is ringing hollow now because they endless supplies of the magic substance that defeats them for whatever reason so we know they aren't going to effect the story. Ugh! Epics!

I think the dragons would take away much of the drama of the struggle between the two armies (Dany's and Cersei's) were it not for the uncertainty engendered by the development of the Scorpion bolt, which is meant to give us the impression that a dragon can be killed by humans after all. So far, it's only had a limited success in wounding Drogon, but more of a threat from it was implied by the writers when they had Cersei's Hand, the disgraced maester Qyburn, tell an assemblage of lords (including Randyll Tarly) that they're working on some things to counter the dragons. Probably, they'll ring the wall tops of King's Landing with those Scorpions and maybe even successfully kill at least one of the dragons soon?

As far as the dragonglass (obsidian) goes, we know that it can defeat White Walkers. Spear heads made of it were first discovered by Samwell Tarly and his fellow Rangers Edd and Grenn back in Season 2, when they were at the Fist of the First Men, a fortified fort with a now-fallen-into-ruin chest-high stone wall ringing it. (The Fist was located on a hill overlooking the Haunted Forest in the east and the Skirling Pass and the Giant's Stairs in the west.)

I think the drama from that comes from whether or not Jon and/or Dany will be able to mine enough of it, fashion enough weapons from it (mostly swords and spear heads) and then get enough of it to their armies in time to matter. Perhaps the remainder of the Yara/Theon Greyjoy fleet is used to ferry it around (after that fleet gets the Unsullied back into the fight)?

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But we know we aren't going to see the Ice King standing at the southern most tip of the continent having lade waste to all the kingdoms. They are going to lose. I mean we know they are going to lose so their story line is already over. It will play a role who ends up on the throne but they aren't a real threat to the story are as a whole. Zombies are the worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
But we know we aren't going to see the Ice King standing at the southern most tip of the continent having lade waste to all the kingdoms. They are going to lose. I mean we know they are going to lose so their story line is already over. It will play a role who ends up on the throne but they aren't a real threat to the story are as a whole. Zombies are the worst.

We, of course, would say that we already know the Night King and his army of the dead are going to lose, because that's what you'd see in a classic tale of good versus evil or something similar. GoT is a bit more complicated than that, though, and the book series' writer -- George R.R. Martin -- as well as the TV series' writers (Weiss and Benioff, et al.) -- have proven that on many occasions.

So far, the White Walkers have been a largely unstoppable force (with the exception of Bran's uncle Benjen, the former First Ranger of the Night Watch who's now partially White Walker himself) and the writers just may take it to a final, cataclysmic struggle between all the armies before deciding a final outcome in which the army of the dead might even "win," in one fashion or another -- or at least be beaten back for another 10,000 years or however long ago the Dawn Age was.

Also, I don't know that the Night King and his army can carry out a direct frontal assault against the Wall. Remember what Benjen said last season about there being spells and charms within the Wall that can harm White Walkers who try to go through it or over it? Maybe that's why they're looking for a way around it by heading toward Eastwatch? That site is also a port and it's where the Wall ends at the sea.

I guess we'll have to see what the Night King does at Eastwatch this coming episode to get a better handle on both sides' capabilities. This may be where the writers show the Wildling leader Tormund's ultimate end. Or maybe he and his people will barely survive (though greatly reduced in number) as the army of the dead swarms over the site? You got me. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I guess we'll have to see what the Night King does at Eastwatch this coming episode to get a better handle on both sides' capabilities. This may be where the writers show the Wildling leader Tormund's ultimate end. Or maybe he and his people will barely survive (though greatly reduced in number) as the army of the dead swarms over the site? You got me. ;-)[/quote]
Tormund can't die until he and Brienne fulfill their destiny as Westeros ultimate power couple.

Torenne or Brimund must be allowed to consummate their inevitable love.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:

I guess we'll have to see what the Night King does at Eastwatch this coming episode to get a better handle on both sides' capabilities. This may be where the writers show the Wildling leader Tormund's ultimate end. Or maybe he and his people will barely survive (though greatly reduced in number) as the army of the dead swarms over the site? You got me. ;-)

Tormund can't die until he and Brienne fulfill their destiny as Westeros ultimate power couple.

Torenne or Brimund must be allowed to consummate their inevitable love.[/quote]

Hahahahahahahaha! Yeah, Tormund's definitely got the hots for that big mama, but I think Jaime's got dibs on that action. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
davec wrote:
Torenne or Brimund must be allowed to consummate their inevitable love.

Hahahahahahahaha! Yeah, Tormund's definitely got the hots for that big mama, but I think Jaime's got dibs on that action. ;-)

Like they have any choice in the matter; Brienne gets what Brienne wants

Although, she kinda looks like she'd rather fight than fuck

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

Is the Night King going to lose? Maybe not. Maybe Jon et al go sailing off to the Summer Isles to leave Cersei and Westeros to their fate.

Bran and Daenrys have both seen the iron throne covered in snow, with the roof caved in.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Also, I don't know that the Night King and his army can carry out a direct frontal assault against the Wall. Remember what Benjen said last season about there being spells and charms within the Wall that can harm White Walkers who try to go through it or over it? Maybe that's why they're looking for a way around it by heading toward Eastwatch? That site is also a port and it's where the Wall ends at the sea.

Per the intro, the bay of seals appears to be frozen over.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
That guy, Mark Gattis, that plays the Iron Bank representative also plays Mycroft Holmes in the Benedict Cumberbatch "Sherlock Holmes" series (he's a writer on the series, too). Nice and oily, as always And, as always, just about every actor or actress of note in the UK seems to have found a way to appear in GoT. ;-)

Gatiss also writes for Doctor Who, and has been in a couple episodes. But Sherlock and some of those years of Who had the same showrunner, Steven Moffat.
GoT has nothing on Harry Potter though - it's a shorter list for British actors of note that DIDN'T appear in HP films :D
Mark Gatiss will be back on Dr Who for the 2017 Christmas special. Maisie Williams had a reoccurring role on Dr Who a couple of seasons ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Per the intro, the bay of seals appears to be frozen over.

Well, there you go. ;-)

Smart, though. "Go where they ain't" and follow the path of least resistance.

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Remember what Balon Greyjoy said. No man has ever died from bending the knee and he may rise again w blade in hand.

Recently, though, bending the knee hasn't been working out so well

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take that shit to the Kapernick thread..... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Take that shit to the Kapernick thread..... :)

No, no! That's some funny sh*t! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is hysterical, Leslie Jones watching Sunday's episode with Seth Myers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvcrwTcA5iw

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leslie Jones gives 110% in everything she does*

* I'd mention her cycling commentary from Rio, but y'know "Take that shit to the Tri Forum" and all

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
It's like bringing an F16 to Little Big Horn! She could have wiped them out without losing a man. She lost a number of fighters.

I was expecting a totally different outcome to that battle;

• Dothraki charge and get Lannister army all running to confront them.
• Dothraki pull up suddenly
• Dany flies in from a flanking position and torches the wagons only (minor human casualties of course) then they all disappear

Robs Cersei of the food that was meant for them. In line with Jon's advice not to harm humans with Dragons.

Side note - how does Jaimee sink so deep when tackled a few yards from the waters edge? It was a soft edged lake, not a rocky cliff.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:

Side note - how does Jaimee sink so deep when tackled a few yards from the waters edge? It was a soft edged lake, not a rocky cliff.

I asked the same question. I don't understand that at all.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

I asked the same question. I don't understand that at all.[/quote

Artistic license
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
JSA wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

Artistic license

It is supposed to be a river that is very deep and drops off quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In line with Jon's advice not to harm humans with Dragons

I don't think that was Jon's advice. His advice was not to burn the cities, because that would just make the normal people's lives shitty. I think that's why she, instead, attacked the army while it was still outside the city gates. She made her point, decimated the army, but didn't hurt the civilian population.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
JSA wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

Artistic license

It is supposed to be a river that is very deep and drops off quickly.

May well it supposed to be, but with a flat flood plain (can't really call it a beach regardless of how it looked) and an absence of rocky edges, that grade was falling away ever so slightly and Jaimee was lucky not to scorch the back of his head.

I'm calling out those lazy CGI boys. They were obviously exhausted having done such an awesome job on the dragon; and damn well everything else for the last 6 seasons! This is the one and only time I'll go Star Wars geek picky bastard on GoT.
Quote Reply

Prev Next