Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Leddy wrote:
So what do you suppose transpired before they came out of the cave after that scene ? Part of me thought he did say F it and just bent the knee. Between doing that and facing the white walkers without Dany's help what difference would it make. Plus the whole thing with the hieroglyphs and everyone coming together for one cause.

OTOH I guess she could have given in after seeing the drawings.

I think he bent ...her over the rocks for some hot Auntie/nephew action.

I was waiting for one of us filthy animals to make exactly that comment. Thanks for delivering, sir. ;-)

My pleasure but credit all goes to my wife.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Leddy wrote:
JSA wrote:
It's like bringing an F16 to Little Big Horn! She could have wiped them out without losing a man. She lost a number of fighters.

Yes but based on that she only needed one ? !

Maybe she knew after one got hurt that they are somewhat vulnerable so why not hold the other ones back.

That or it's harder to control them unless she's in direct contack, i.e riding on one ?

I'm going for your first guess. She controlled all three just fine when she destroyed the slaver fleet at the battle for Meereen.

I think it's the matter of control. At Mereen there were no other forces in the water, the dragons had free reign to burn at their will with no risk of friendly fire. The Blackwater was different.

Great episode though. Shame the gold got through to KL though. That would have been an interesting set up for the rest of the war: both sides only having the forces in the field to command with no prospect of mercenaries to bolster them (or better yet, Euron goes and gets the golden company, then they arrive to find that Cersei can't actually pay them).

Yup. Essosi sellswords and that Golden Company could make things a bit sticky for Dany and her Unsullied and Dothraki forces. If there were no money to hire them they wouldn't be a complicating factor.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought she destroyed a lot of the gold with all the dragon fire burny ashes.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
I thought she destroyed a lot of the gold with all the dragon fire burny ashes.

Nope. The gold wagons made it through to King's Landing all in one piece. That battle scene opens with Randyll Tarly telling that to Jaime and Bronn.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I guess the other factor is that burning wagons makes for great TV, and in a show where fleets can go round whole continents in the blink of an eye then magicking up some more grain isn't going to give the writers too many sleepless nights...

I've heard lots of people complaining about how "fast" the traveling is done. It's not that they are traveling fast, the show is skipping long periods of time between the scenes and episodes. Time does indeed go by at it's normal pace, we just don't see it. It's an important difference.

But the accelerated pace is distracting and abrupt.

Last edited by: Endo: Aug 7, 17 16:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Dickon

I couldn't figure out where Dickon came from this season since the actor also was in Blacksails. After looking it up this morning I realize that he was a recast and where his character fits in. It was distracting trying to figure out how the pirate went back in time.

https://winteriscoming.net/...me-thrones-season-7/

He's mentioned a bit in the first book, with Samwell's arrival at Castle Black and his father's disowning (as well as threatened murder) of him if he didn't take the black and join the Night's Watch. Dickon, Rickon...that's been a running joke the last couple of episodes. First it was Jaime with Randyll Tarly, when he first meets Dickon and asks "You're Rickon?" Then Bronn has some sport with his name.

Dickon seems a good egg, though. I hope he made it through all that dragonfire. I'd hate to see his calcined bones in the next episode. LOL!

I assume they are setting Dickon up to have some sort of notable role or impact in the story. He's too striking of an actor to just be there as a redshirt. And considering how limited their time is to get the story finished, they spent a lot of valuable screen time with Dickon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Leddy wrote:
JSA wrote:
It's like bringing an F16 to Little Big Horn! She could have wiped them out without losing a man. She lost a number of fighters.

Yes but based on that she only needed one ? !

Maybe she knew after one got hurt that they are somewhat vulnerable so why not hold the other ones back.

That or it's harder to control them unless she's in direct contack, i.e riding on one ?

I'm going for your first guess. She controlled all three just fine when she destroyed the slaver fleet at the battle for Meereen.

I think it's the matter of control. At Mereen there were no other forces in the water, the dragons had free reign to burn at their will with no risk of friendly fire. The Blackwater was different.

Great episode though. Shame the gold got through to KL though. That would have been an interesting set up for the rest of the war: both sides only having the forces in the field to command with no prospect of mercenaries to bolster them (or better yet, Euron goes and gets the golden company, then they arrive to find that Cersei can't actually pay them).

Yup. Essosi sellswords and that Golden Company could make things a bit sticky for Dany and her Unsullied and Dothraki forces. If there were no money to hire them they wouldn't be a complicating factor.

Isn't that the group that the one leader killed the other two leaders then became Dani's boy toy for a couple seasons? Maybe he goes back to them and he'll emerge and help Dani??
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
With so few episodes left there's one storyline I feel won't be resolved. Given that there are so few true armies left in Westeros, it's fairly easy to see how the iron throne & night king storylines can resolve themselves in so few episodes.

The one I fear won't be resolved in time will be Sam. No way he becomes a maester in 8 (or however many are left) episodes.

I'm guessing that Sam will pack his bags and leave the Citadel soon for some urgent mission or effort needed for the big whitewalker battle or something. He'll bring his family sword with him, which is Vallerian steel and it will come in handy in the battle.

Maybe he joins up with Dickon and gives the sword to him and Dickon is a major force in the whitwalker battle coming up. Maybe that's why we are being introduced to Dickon now.

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Leddy wrote:
So what do you suppose transpired before they came out of the cave after that scene ? Part of me thought he did say F it and just bent the knee. Between doing that and facing the white walkers without Dany's help what difference would it make. Plus the whole thing with the hieroglyphs and everyone coming together for one cause.

OTOH I guess she could have given in after seeing the drawings.

I think he bent ...her over the rocks for some hot Auntie/nephew action.

I was waiting for one of us filthy animals to make exactly that comment. Thanks for delivering, sir. ;-)

My pleasure but credit all goes to my wife.

She sounds hot

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Could even have been Dickon (not Rickon ;-) who knocked Jaime off his horse and into Blackwater Rush.

I saw a close up of the hand and it's wearing Bron's fingerless glove.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was excited about the battle scene...and then I facepalmed ...

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
In addition to the great battle sequence, I thought a key highlight of the show was Littlefinger realizing that he is screwed between Bran knowing everything he has done, and Arya now having the catspaw dagger and also knowing that he plotted against the Starks (remember her as Tywin's cupbearer at Harrenhall way back when?). Good to see him squirm.

Episodes like this also make you appreciate the camerawork, editing and stunt work that go into pulling off a complex battle scene like that. Very cool to see the Dothraki go up on one knee while on horseback to shoot arrows.

On top of everything else, he threw Aunt Lyssa out the moon door in front of Sansa. She could have his head for this alone.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Littlefinger is not doing anything this season and just stands around moping and looking like he's scheming. I have to feel the only reason they're keeping on the screen is so we don't forget who he is when they decide to kill him.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Isn't that the group that the one leader killed the other two leaders then became Dani's boy toy for a couple seasons? Maybe he goes back to them and he'll emerge and help Dani??

No, he was with the Second Sons, who are currently looking after the Mereen etc for Daenrys.

Daario, leader of Second Sons (status): friendzoned

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are 7 episodes this season, 8 next. Some will be almost 120 mins though.

I think to,do the Night King justice, they really need to finish the war,for the iron throne this season and spend all of next on the Night King and White Walkers.

Next week, there is a scene in the preview where Drogon is roaring at Jon. Wonder if his lineage will be revealed.

And we are long past a time for a major death.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
There are 7 episodes this season, 8 next. Some will be almost 120 mins though.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Season_8

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoops. That's right, 7 and then 6.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Could even have been Dickon (not Rickon ;-) who knocked Jaime off his horse and into Blackwater Rush.

I saw a close up of the hand and it's wearing Bron's fingerless glove.
I think it was Bron. The glove, hair and clothing looks like him. I just watched that part again. Can't get the screen shot to load

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
I think to,do the Night King justice, they really need to finish the war,for the iron throne this season and spend all of next on the Night King and White Walkers.

Can't do that. You need to have the threat that plotting and scheming over the Iron Throne will get in the way of beating the army of the dead. Maybe Dany and/or Jon win the Iron Throne, but Cersei slips away, then spends next season plotting her revenge, which she tries to take just at the moment when Dany/Jon are totally focused on the fight against the Night King. She seems like the type to burn the whole thing down if she can't have it to herself.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
cartsman wrote:
I guess the other factor is that burning wagons makes for great TV, and in a show where fleets can go round whole continents in the blink of an eye then magicking up some more grain isn't going to give the writers too many sleepless nights...

I've heard lots of people complaining about how "fast" the traveling is done. It's not that they are traveling fast, the show is skipping long periods of time between the scenes and episodes. Time does indeed go by at it's normal pace, we just don't see it. It's an important difference.

But the accelerated pace is distracting and abrupt.

I think it's more that different parts seem to be moving at different paces so it feels a bit disjointed. E.g. I'm fine with the idea that we've skipped a few weeks while the fleet made it's way round from Dragonstone to Casterly Rock, but other storylines don't seem to have moved on at all in those weeks. And given that the Night King was hot on Bran's heels last series and was seen marching south with an army of wights and a couple of wight-giants at the start of this series, he should have got to the Wall by now.

Guess this was always somewhat inevitable, so many plot lines to pull together that nearly every scene from now on has to move the plot along somehow. Saw a similar thing in the last book or 2 of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Be interesting to see how GRRM handles it in the books (assuming he ever actually finishes them).
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question is...will Arya kill the mountain? He's on her list. She's become a kickass fighter.
And that scene fighting Brienne of Tarth was pretty awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devastating losses from the war leaving few left to fight the WWs would,give that suspense too. And Cersei is smarter than that. She will do what she can,to,survive and wait,to,plot another day. Remember what Balon Greyjoy said. No man has ever died from bending the knee and he may rise again w blade in hand. She could cut a,deal,to,stay alive and devote,her forces to,the fight against the WWs. Why anyone would allow her to live tho is another question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Devastating losses from the war leaving few left to fight the WWs would,give that suspense too. And Cersei is smarter than that. She will do what she can,to,survive and wait,to,plot another day. Remember what Balon Greyjoy said. No man has ever died from bending the knee and he may rise again w blade in hand. She could cut a,deal,to,stay alive and devote,her forces to,the fight against the WWs. Why anyone would allow her to live tho is another question.

Yeah, I just don't see a series that is entirely based on scheming and plotting to get the throne, taking that off the table for the final season. The series is called "Game of Thrones" not "Can we beat the Zombies." Let's face it, the white walkers are cool and all, but having the throne resolved this season would make the final season anti-climactic. At no time in the series has there been just a single major plot line. It would make no sense to have a final season where the entire plot was just about beating the walkers.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
timbasile wrote:
With so few episodes left there's one storyline I feel won't be resolved. Given that there are so few true armies left in Westeros, it's fairly easy to see how the iron throne & night king storylines can resolve themselves in so few episodes.

The one I fear won't be resolved in time will be Sam. No way he becomes a maester in 8 (or however many are left) episodes.

I'm guessing that Sam will pack his bags and leave the Citadel soon for some urgent mission or effort needed for the big whitewalker battle or something. He'll bring his family sword with him, which is Vallerian steel and it will come in handy in the battle.

Maybe he joins up with Dickon and gives the sword to him and Dickon is a major force in the whitwalker battle coming up. Maybe that's why we are being introduced to Dickon now.

One thing I don't remember what happened when Sam went home. Was Dickon a dick like his dad then too?
Then did their dad survive ep 4? If Dickon isn't a dick, is he the Warden of the South now and sympathetic to his brother and thus the North
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dad was mainly a dick to Sam, I think Dickon was a bit more sympathetic during that dinner scene where Sam in trying to make conversation had asked if the meat was from that day's hunt and Dickon politely reminded him that it needed to cure.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply

Prev Next