Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's going to be a massive mountain of anti-dragonglass under Kings Landing; like Kryponite for dragons

"Oh yeah, we never told you that?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Jul 24, 17 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I wonder what the cycle time on that giant crossbow is gonna be?

Because, unless you get the three dragoons lined up just right, and shish-kabob all three at once, the other two are gonna cook your ass after you take the first one down [assuming it a clean kill on the first - and only - shot]

Or you make three of them...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Because, unless you get the three dragoons lined up just right, and shish-kabob all three at once, the other two are gonna cook your ass after you take the first one down [assuming it a clean kill on the first - and only - shot]

I thought he said they were building multiples of them.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Who cares who's boats are bigger, or faster, or whatever ...

I do.......... in a show with giants, dragons, witches, people who come back from the dead, frozen zombies, slave armies and diseases which turn you into some kind of rock lizard, you goddam can't make a fleet of giant ship appear over night on an island that looks like it only had a few trees to begin with. It ain't right.

That and most of the show has a timeline establishing things. This happened in a distorted fashion.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
The dragons are going to be a problem for me. Too big and too powerful. Whatever they do to defeat them will be lame and not believable.

I suspect the dragons won't be used on the human vs human battles, or at least very much. Maybe very limited use strategically.

I think they will come in heavily during the white walker battle(s).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
The dragons are going to be a problem for me. Too big and too powerful. Whatever they do to defeat them will be lame and not believable.

poison meat?
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most probably and that is too easy. You get my point? There is a problem with creating characters with a huge amount of power.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
RandMart wrote:

I thought he said they were building multiples of them.

I think the big crossbows are a head-fake with regards to plot, since I'm a believer in the theory that we'll see the three Targaryens (allegedly) all riding a dragon (Dany, Jon, and Tyrion). So ain't no dragons gonna die.

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

poison meat?

Matthew McConaughey.

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I always thought this ever since the white walkers showed.

Quote:
I think the big crossbows are a head-fake with regards to plot, since I'm a believer in the theory that we'll see the three Targaryens (allegedly) all riding a dragon (Dany, Jon, and Tyrion). So ain't no dragons gonna die.

But then I also think something will happen to prevent the dragons from going north and melting the white walkers. It just seems to easy for them to go up there and wipe them out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Wall spans from sea to sea and winter is coming (or is here) - wouldn't the sea freeze, allowing the White Walkers to simply walk around the Wall?

Why hasn't anyone sent a sparrow to John Snow regarding the arrival of his brother at the Wall?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Why hasn't anyone sent a sparrow to John Snow regarding the arrival of his brother at the Wall?

Maybe because they killed him and don't give two shits about him?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had speculated that they would have some pop star sing a song in each new episode. Damn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

I always thought this ever since the white walkers showed.

Quote:

But then I also think something will happen to prevent the dragons from going north and melting the white walkers. It just seems to easy for them to go up there and wipe them out.

I think large scale destruction by dragons and their fire is overblown. They can roast buildings and such, but how effective are they really in a large scale battle scenario with people all running around and spread over many many square miles. Not to mention, the "enemy" will be mixed up and fighting the good guys, so dragons can't kill without killing their own.

Their dragon breath can only cover a small amount of a cone area in a burst and it is not an unlimited supply. Dragons are I think tactically specific in their use, but they cannot be like an atom bomb and lay waste to an army spread out.

I'm still hoping for the longshot crazy theory that the grandaddy of all dragons is actually lying beneath the ice wall, or actually the wall is formed around it. He's gonna wake up and be pre-bonded to Jon due to his Stark and Targaryen lineage.

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
Very intense episode last night. You knew that Euron and Yara would cross paths at some point, but even still that was a pretty wild battle scene; Theon morphed back into Reek but I can't imagine that's the last we'll see of him treading water among the wreckage (maybe Gendry rows by and picks him up?). I have to think that Varys tipped them off after the opening confrontation with Dany - Euron could very well have been heading towards Dragonstone anyway but it seemed too coincidental to just have them show up and attack, and also take Ellaria as "the gift".

I thought Arya was going to encounter White Walkers when her horse was spooked and you could suddenly see her breath. She had the best line in the episode when she was at the inn talking to Hot Pie: "You've been baking pies?" "One or two".

It was a little strange at first to see many of the characters from the different storylines throughout the series finally come together. I joked to my wife during Dany's strategy meeting that is like a meeting of the Justice League.

I hope that is true. Otherwise we are left with one side having perfect scouting and the other side being fuckall stupid.

Not sure it was Varys that tipped them off, I would like to believe his speech and motives from last night. Could be Lady Olenna, or could simply be a Euron sympathizer on Yara's ships. And I think, if I recall correctly, it was clear last week that Cercei/Euron knew that Dany and that fleet were at Dragonstone, but perhaps Dany didn't know that Euron was at King's Landing. It could just be that Euron sat and waited. Even in the fog, Yara's ships were lit up brightly and could be seen. Does that mean "one side having perfect scouting and the other side being fuckall stupid"? I don't know, but perhaps Yara just isn't the commander we think she is.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:

Who are you talking about, the Night's Watch? After Snow was brought back to life, the mutineers were rounded up and hanged. Snow is King in the North, which includes the Wall and the Night's Watch. Am I missing something?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think large scale destruction by dragons and their fire is overblown. They can roast buildings and such, but how effective are they really in a large scale battle scenario with people all running around and spread over many many square miles.

Was it in last night's episode when they talked about how the dragons are what led the mad king to first conquer the 7 kingdoms? It seems like both sides are pretty worked up about them.

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
j p o wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
Very intense episode last night. You knew that Euron and Yara would cross paths at some point, but even still that was a pretty wild battle scene; Theon morphed back into Reek but I can't imagine that's the last we'll see of him treading water among the wreckage (maybe Gendry rows by and picks him up?). I have to think that Varys tipped them off after the opening confrontation with Dany - Euron could very well have been heading towards Dragonstone anyway but it seemed too coincidental to just have them show up and attack, and also take Ellaria as "the gift".

I thought Arya was going to encounter White Walkers when her horse was spooked and you could suddenly see her breath. She had the best line in the episode when she was at the inn talking to Hot Pie: "You've been baking pies?" "One or two".

It was a little strange at first to see many of the characters from the different storylines throughout the series finally come together. I joked to my wife during Dany's strategy meeting that is like a meeting of the Justice League.

I hope that is true. Otherwise we are left with one side having perfect scouting and the other side being fuckall stupid.

Not sure it was Varys that tipped them off, I would like to believe his speech and motives from last night. Could be Lady Olenna, or could simply be a Euron sympathizer on Yara's ships. And I think, if I recall correctly, it was clear last week that Cercei/Euron knew that Dany and that fleet were at Dragonstone, but perhaps Dany didn't know that Euron was at King's Landing. It could just be that Euron sat and waited. Even in the fog, Yara's ships were lit up brightly and could be seen. Does that mean "one side having perfect scouting and the other side being fuckall stupid"? I don't know, but perhaps Yara just isn't the commander we think she is.

Well, Euron was able to assemble a massive fleet of super ships in a matter of weeks, so I am guessing he was also able to develop radar, which likely aided in his recon efforts...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:

Who are you talking about, the Night's Watch? After Snow was brought back to life, the mutineers were rounded up and hanged. Snow is King in the North, which includes the Wall and the Night's Watch. Am I missing something?

Nah, I am.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
j p o wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

Well, Euron was able to assemble a massive fleet of super ships in a matter of weeks, so I am guessing he was also able to develop radar, which likely aided in his recon efforts...

That would also help explain how accurate they were with whatever fire ballistics they were using. Which brings up another point. Eurons ships seemed to be pretty well lit also. Or at least had to have some kind of fires burning so how did Yaras ships not see them. Add to Yara being the commander and having special guests on her ship should've been in the middle of her armada for protection. So Eurons ship made it's way through all the others before the battle started ? Or the attack started and none of the other ships made a warning noise? Were all the sailors asleep? The entire thing was disjointed.

Last edited by: Leddy: Jul 24, 17 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:

I'm with you on Varys. What does he have to gain by tipping off Euron? He already betrayed Cersei by getting Tyrion out of Kingslanding and joining up with Dany. I tend to take him at his word that he does what he does to protect "the Realm." I don't think Dany has given him a reason to doubt her as the best choice . . . for now.

As for Olenna, what does she get out of betraying Dany? That would only help Cersei, which I can't see her doing. Maybe I missed something, but I don't buy her doing anything that would give Cersei a fighting chance to win.

My bet is that somehow, Littlefinger is involved. Haven't really worked out how in my head yet, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
I think large scale destruction by dragons and their fire is overblown. They can roast buildings and such, but how effective are they really in a large scale battle scenario with people all running around and spread over many many square miles.

Was it in last night's episode when they talked about how the dragons are what led the mad king to first conquer the 7 kingdoms? It seems like both sides are pretty worked up about them.

It was the mad king's ancestor Aegon I who used dragons to conquer the Seven Kingdoms.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:

I'm with you on Varys. What does he have to gain by tipping off Euron? He already betrayed Cersei by getting Tyrion out of Kingslanding and joining up with Dany. I tend to take him at his word that he does what he does to protect "the Realm." I don't think Dany has given him a reason to doubt her as the best choice . . . for now.

As for Olenna, what does she get out of betraying Dany? That would only help Cersei, which I can't see her doing. Maybe I missed something, but I don't buy her doing anything that would give Cersei a fighting chance to win.

My bet is that somehow, Littlefinger is involved. Haven't really worked out how in my head yet, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I'm going for the simpler explanation. Super fleet was in Kings Landing. Kings Landing and Dragonstone are basically neighbors. Everyone knew Dany was there with her fleet. Euron just used his stealth ships and waited.
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It was the mad king's ancestor Aegon I who used dragons to conquer the Seven Kingdoms

that makes more sense. I thought I might have messed that up

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:

I read a theory on this that she is now a bit blinded by rage (even though she doesnt show it) at Cersei for destroying her enter, so this pushes Dany into acting more quickly against Cersei and not laying siege. Now Dany doesn't have the naval force to lay siege. I don't know if that really makes sense, but maybe. She (Lady Olenna) was certainly not happy last night.

Oh, and just because....

Quote Reply

Prev Next