Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:
Anyone else love it when Prince Pirate King kicked all the ass?

Man, did he. He took those two Sand Snakes down without too much trouble and he snatched up Yara Greyjoy SNAP! Just like that. And sent Theon running (or swimming, as the case may be) for his life. He's a fairly dangerous sort, boys. ;-)

I'm having a hard time taking Euron Greyjoy seriously as an asskicker. His smack-talking scene last episode with Cersei was entertaining but I just don't buy him as a badass; maybe it's the eyeliner or something. The Hound though - that's a well-cast hard man. 6'6" Scotsman and according to the internet, "known for living a solitary, transient lifestyle...He often lives on his boat or in places without modern conveniences." He looks like he eats whiney fuckers for breakfast.

The Hound's becoming a bit introspective of late. And it's obvious the Lord of Light is keeping him around for a purpose. My guess is he's the one who eventually kills the Mountain (FrankenVader) in single combat, but suffers a mortal wound himself and dies by his brother's side. ;-)

Euron Greyjoy, supposedly the greatest captain in the 14 seas, was all hot to whack his niece and nephew when he gained the salt throne and he'd already done for his brother, Balon Greyjoy. Sociopathic, at minimum. And likely to off Cersei were he ever to be successful in marrying her. But I think Theon's still got a part to play in Euron's ultimate downfall. The show's two producers implied that they weren't done with repairing Theon's arc, in the after-show piece last night.

As a writer, I can see how they'd work that out. I wasn't surprised at Theon running (or swimming) away, either. Like Benioff and Weiss said: you can't just turn Theon into a courageous man in the blink of an eye. The Reek still runs strong in him, at present.

Next week, we see the Unsullied and the Dothraki invade Casterly Rock. I wonder what that bodes for Grey Worm, now that he's got more than just his orders from Dany to fight for? If George Martin were in charge of the writing, my guess is he'd end up being killed, but who knows how thoroughly Benioff and Weiss want to hew, these days, to Martin's idea of the GoT universe?

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
klehner wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
Great (and gross) transition last night from a closeup of Sam removing the greyscale with all the pus oozing out, to the juice flowing from the pie crust as Arya prepared to take a bite.

That was one of the Lannister soldiers, not Arya. But still awesome.

I like how they reconnect storylines from the past (like with the baker boy).

"The secret is browning the butter before adding it to the dough. Most people don't do that because it takes up too much time"
"Hm, I don't do that"
"You've been making pies?"
"One or two"

Hahahaha! That was classic. My wife and I laughed for a few minutes over that one. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think happens when Jon Snow runs across Melisandre, the red witch, at Dragonstone? Or maybe she gets word that Snow's coming and hightails it? I think Snow and Ser Davos told her they'd kill her if they ever saw her again.

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Very intense episode last night. You knew that Euron and Yara would cross paths at some point, but even still that was a pretty wild battle scene; Theon morphed back into Reek but I can't imagine that's the last we'll see of him treading water among the wreckage (maybe Gendry rows by and picks him up?). I have to think that Varys tipped them off after the opening confrontation with Dany - Euron could very well have been heading towards Dragonstone anyway but it seemed too coincidental to just have them show up and attack, and also take Ellaria as "the gift".

I thought Arya was going to encounter White Walkers when her horse was spooked and you could suddenly see her breath. She had the best line in the episode when she was at the inn talking to Hot Pie: "You've been baking pies?" "One or two".

It was a little strange at first to see many of the characters from the different storylines throughout the series finally come together. I joked to my wife during Dany's strategy meeting that is like a meeting of the Justice League.

I hope that is true. Otherwise we are left with one side having perfect scouting and the other side being fuckall stupid.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Destroying a fleet isn't bad ass enough for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

The loss of that part of the fleet now leaves open the question of just how Dany and her forces can lay siege to King's Landing, without Dorne's military forces. Cersei will have Ellaria and her daughter as captives -- Euron's going to take those two and Yara back to King's Landing -- and I'm not sure troops from Dorne could get there via an overland march.

This changes Tyrion and Dany's strategy and tactics now. They're without a fleet until the other half can return from Casterly Rock, correct? What's that old military adage about not splitting your forces, which they did when they divided their fleet? Certainly, Jon Snow as well as the Tyrells don't have a fleet. I don't think Braavos and the other free cities and their mercenary fleets will come to the aid of Dany, at least not this season. It's a tough nut to crack, in other words.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

Not really - I didn't see anything that made me viscerally believe "he" destroyed the fleet. I saw nothing on the intellectual side that showed him to be some master tactician, the way Tyrion was when he orchestrated the defense of King's Landing. And from the physical standpoint he just doesn't have the je ne sais quoi that projects a sense of "you better back up bitch or I will wreck you". Felt the same way about Orlando Bloom as Legolas in LOTR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
... the Mountain (FrankenVader) ...

Thanks, dude

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
Very intense episode last night. You knew that Euron and Yara would cross paths at some point, but even still that was a pretty wild battle scene; Theon morphed back into Reek but I can't imagine that's the last we'll see of him treading water among the wreckage (maybe Gendry rows by and picks him up?). I have to think that Varys tipped them off after the opening confrontation with Dany - Euron could very well have been heading towards Dragonstone anyway but it seemed too coincidental to just have them show up and attack, and also take Ellaria as "the gift".

I thought Arya was going to encounter White Walkers when her horse was spooked and you could suddenly see her breath. She had the best line in the episode when she was at the inn talking to Hot Pie: "You've been baking pies?" "One or two".

It was a little strange at first to see many of the characters from the different storylines throughout the series finally come together. I joked to my wife during Dany's strategy meeting that is like a meeting of the Justice League.

I hope that is true. Otherwise we are left with one side having perfect scouting and the other side being fuckall stupid.

Yeah, this was the one plot point last night that was just waaay to convenient, to have the two armadas meet up. I hope Varys or the old Tyrell woman had a hand in it.

The storyline is moving so fast in these episodes, I can tell it is losing story quality.

As each season goes on, the more and more I dislike Dany. At the core she is an entitled, megalomaniac, petulant tyrant and conquer. I think she's a bit of a sociopath also. My guess is that at the end of this series, Dany is dead. I don't think we'll see the story end with Jon and Dany living happily ever after, either together or separate.

I also think the White Walkers may not end up being all bad. There is more to their background and motivations. As we've seen time and time again, there are no true bad or good people in GoT. There always seems to be two sides of the coin and I don't think we've seen the other side of the Night King's coin.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
... the Mountain (FrankenVader) ...

Thanks, dude

Heh. I remembered that one from last week's thread. It's very memorable. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely rushed, which is frustrating. I know Euron was on a mission to build up his armada, but how did he get such a destructive fleet so soon? I thought Reek and his sister left with the best ships? They looked wholly overmatched in the battle.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think we'll see the story end with Jon and Dany living happily ever after, either together or separate.

It'll end with Jon and Dany sitting in a NJ diner eating onion rings and flipping through the juke box. ; )

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Certainly, Jon Snow as well as the Tyrells don't have a fleet. I don't think Braavos and the other free cities and their mercenary fleets will come to the aid of Dany, at least not this season. It's a tough nut to crack, in other words.

Well apparently you can build one in a blink of an eye. I would've liked some mention of a timeline on that because it seemed like they built that fleet of giant ships in about a week.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I thought Arya was going to encounter White Walkers when her horse was spooked and you could suddenly see her breath.

Did you notice the very last thing she said when Nymeria left? "No, it's not really you." - could it be that Bran was warging into Nymeria and seeing Arya?

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
Certainly, Jon Snow as well as the Tyrells don't have a fleet. I don't think Braavos and the other free cities and their mercenary fleets will come to the aid of Dany, at least not this season. It's a tough nut to crack, in other words.

Well apparently you can build one in a blink of an eye. I would've liked some mention of a timeline on that because it seemed like they built that fleet of giant ships in about a week.

That's the question I just asked - how did he get an entire armada of massive ships so quickly, especially after his niece and nephew took the best ships?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
I thought Arya was going to encounter White Walkers when her horse was spooked and you could suddenly see her breath.

Did you notice the very last thing she said when Nymeria left? "No, it's not really you." - could it be that Bran was warging into Nymeria and seeing Arya?

Nope. They explained that after the show. It harkens back to season 1 when Ned Stark tells Arya she could be a lady some day and Arya responds, "That's not me." Arya had to be free and wild. Arya recognizes Nymeria is no longer domesticated and needs to be wild like she is.

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That's the question I just asked - how did he get an entire armada of massive ships so quickly, especially after his niece and nephew took the best ships?

The only mentions I can think of is Euron(?) says they are going to build new ships after those two took the best ships. Then the scene where the ships on are there way to kings landing. Then last nights sea battle which looks like theon is floating in the wreckage of most of his fleet. I liked how theon reverted back to reek after looking around and hearing all the cries. I liked how they got ambushed. I hated that this new fleet is suddenly around and so easily decimated the "old" fleet. It just seemed really rushed as I think someone early put it for this episode.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I don't think we'll see the story end with Jon and Dany living happily ever after, either together or separate.

It'll end with Jon and Dany sitting in a NJ diner eating onion rings and flipping through the juke box. ; )

Close?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5940651#p5940651

Quote Reply
Re: Game of Thrones speculation thread [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

The only mentions I can think of is Euron(?) says they are going to build new ships after those two took the best ships. Then the scene where the ships on are there way to kings landing. Then last nights sea battle which looks like theon is floating in the wreckage of most of his fleet. I liked how theon reverted back to reek after looking around and hearing all the cries. I liked how they got ambushed. I hated that this new fleet is suddenly around and so easily decimated the "old" fleet. It just seemed really rushed as I think someone early put it for this episode.

Definitely rushed. This new armada seems vastly larger and superior to the "best ships" taken by Yara and Reek. This of course, begs the question - if you the Iron Islands had the ability and capacity to make these "super ships," why did they not do so in the first place? Yara runs off with the better part of the Iron Fleet. She had at least 100 ships and they were said to be "the best." As she is sailing off, Euron says, "Build me a thousands ships and I will give you this world."

So, how many were built and when? If they were capable of this number and size, why did they not have this fleet before?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Definitely rushed. This new armada seems vastly larger and superior to the "best ships" taken by Yara and Reek. This of course, begs the question - if you the Iron Islands had the ability and capacity to make these "super ships," why did they not do so in the first place? Yara runs off with the better part of the Iron Fleet. She had at least 100 ships and they were said to be "the best." As she is sailing off, Euron says, "Build me a thousands ships and I will give you this world."

So, how many were built and when? If they were capable of this number and size, why did they not have this fleet before?

I think the writers engaged in a bit of compression as regards the new fleet and other aspects of the story. It looks like a couple of years, at minimum, have passed since the ironborn took to building that fleet for their new king. I suppose if every man and boy were put to the task they could have turned out a fleet like that, under the proper guidance, or maybe whip lash, of their new king.

Being an old Navy man, and knowing a little about England and how she built her fleet, I'm wondering just where the ironborn got all their wood and other naval supplies? Because it sure seems like the Iron Islands were barren and windswept l and almost totally devoid of wood. Or at least wood in sufficient quantities to build a thousand-ship fleet. But that's where suspension of disbelief is supposed to come in for all of us, I suppose. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares who's boats are bigger, or faster, or whatever ...

Did these two navies just happen to bump into each other? One on its way from Dragonstone to Kings Landing and the other from Kings Landing to Dragonstone?

"Excuse us! We're on our way to kill your queen"
"Well, we are on our way to kill your queen"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's is not a military genius at all. He is a chaos maker. His whole purpose is to burn and destroy. The show needed it badly. All the fancy maps, old ladies lecturing everyone because she is old, uncomfortable sex, my chubby awesome buddy cleaning out bedpans for 45 minutes and the endless boredom of John Snow talking to a room full of Scotts was just killing me. Now we have someone who is uncontrolled fearless and will come to no good. EXCITEMENT!!!

"We will not use the dragons we will use guile."

"I have my eyes everywhere."

"I didn't want to be your king."

"I am old and you are stupid."

"I really want to fuck my sister."

"Hey! I deep port with a large castle not being guarded."

BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Who cares who's boats are bigger, or faster, or whatever ...

Did these two navies just happen to bump into each other? One on its way from Dragonstone to Kings Landing and the other from Kings Landing to Dragonstone?

"Excuse us! We're on our way to kill your queen"
"Well, we are on our way to kill your queen"

It was clear last week that Euron knew where Yara's and Theon's fleet was and where it would be. Somebody is feeding him information, and he probably has spies out and about, if he knows what's good for him. He's a ruthless sod, and likely to betray all of them and take Westeros for himself as soon as he sees the main chance.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what the cycle time on that giant crossbow is gonna be?

Because, unless you get the three dragoons lined up just right, and shish-kabob all three at once, the other two are gonna cook your ass after you take the first one down [assuming it a clean kill on the first - and only - shot]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dragons are going to be a problem for me. Too big and too powerful. Whatever they do to defeat them will be lame and not believable.
Quote Reply

Prev Next