Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once again Dave you are missing the point. Of course people have an option to not race but when you're already $750 into it with race entry and team fees and then they hit you with another $400+ mandatory uniform order it gets to be a bit much. Also TriCan was not p front with a lot of the costs.

Proud Kiwami Ambassador/Team Member
ask me anything about:
https://kiwamitri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [trijunkie123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trijunkie123 wrote:
Once again Dave you are missing the point. Of course people have an option to not race but when you're already $750 into it with race entry and team fees and then they hit you with another $400+ mandatory uniform order it gets to be a bit much. Also TriCan was not p front with a lot of the costs.

Not missing the point. These costs have been around the same for years. Folks bitch about them EVERY year.
So really no surprises.

Let someone else go that will really enjoy the experience.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [LauraM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So does that mean you were required to purchase all the kits....uniform+parade gear+ (whatever else they require).

I wish there was an option "race kit only" and if you only get the race kit and no parade uniform you dont do the parade...simple. I saw the AG parade in Cozumel, and was actually impressed. Was very fun and engaging and crowd support BUT if you didnt want to fly in til a day later (or that night) and skipped it...i *hope* you have option to not have to pay for that.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, you are required to purchase "compulsory" gear - race kit, parade outfit ($50 white t-shirt with a small TriCan logo and $75 black shorts or skirt with a small TriCan logo), and a winter cycling jacket (for an August event). I don't really have a problem with compulsory items if they are reasonable. In this case, the costs are ridiculous for what the items are, and is a winter jacket really necessary? I know it's Canada, but it's not actually winter all year here! My understanding is that if you don't purchase those items, your name will not be on the list of "athletes in good standing" sent to the ITU for their event start lists. Seems a bit heavy-handed to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I got an email from TriCan, saying that my order was incomplete. The gist of it was that the full 4 piece uniform is compulsory and a requirement of participating as a member of the team, and that athletes not in good standing would not be included on the start list provided by Triathlon Canada to ITU. The language was slightly cloudy, but it implied that if full uniform was not purchased, I wouldn't be considered member in good standing and name would not be included on start list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
trijunkie123 wrote:

Not missing the point. These costs have been around the same for years. Folks bitch about them EVERY year.
So really no surprises.

Yeah, you are missing the point.
You assume everyone does these races every year.
In fact, most people do them once.... because of the cost!

TriCan has done some things wrong here:
1) They made us pay for a Canadian race in USD.
2) They misrepresented the uniform costs.
3) They demand we purchase a winter jacket for a race in a city that regularly gets over 30 degrees (86F) Celcius daily.
4) Last years previous kits are perfectly fine with the ITU, but apparently not good enough for TriCan who demand another be purchased.

When you are treated only as a blatant source of revenue, it sours the experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
trijunkie123 wrote:

So really no surprises.

3) They demand we purchase a winter jacket for a race in a city that regularly gets over 30 degrees (86F) Celcius daily.
4) Last years previous kits are perfectly fine with the ITU, but apparently not good enough for TriCan who demand another be purchased.

When you are treated only as a blatant source of revenue, it sours the experience.

I totally disagree TriCan, or even USAT are doing these things.

Now if one is a snowflake, well, .....

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Your reputation on this forum is well deserved.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Apr 6, 17 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Agreed! USAT leads the way in this and it seems TriCan is following in the footsteps. I have to laugh when they say how the sport is dying and "how can we invigorate it?", when they pull this crap and run those without deep pockets from the race. I turned down the slot I earned with a national champ podium finish as I realized for the money, our federation, who we REPRESENT is robbing us. I represent many companies through the years in tri, and I have never seen such one sided treatment. I feel for you all up north, and every day I'm more glad I stopped the bleeding and turned down the slot. I would have loved to race there, but ITU and the country federations are killing the golden goose with their greed. No more for me until things change and at least athletes have a say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
trijunkie123 wrote:

So really no surprises.

Can you review your comment and write in clear English, please? Are you saying you disagree with both USAT and TriCan for these types of poor communication/planning? Or, are you saying that you don't think either org is doing anything wrong?

Also, you are a complete hypocritic to continue insulting people when you rail on about poor behaviour online. Apparently posting with your name doesn't stop you from adding personal insults to most of your posts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone wrote: Let someone else go that will really enjoy the experience.

I did that (turned down my spot in the 50-54)

And the with the money I saved, I bought a case of Bud Lite Lime.

You are welcome.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Thank you

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is the crux of the issue is it not? Has TriCAN perhaps agreed a certain $$$ revenue stream with the supplier? i.e. we'll guarantee you $400 x # of participants signed up?

While they are perfectly entitled to set their own rules, it seems extremely petty to enforce a minimum spend on gear.

I'm signed up and already too deep to pull out (there's a euphemism in there somewhere), so will see you guys there!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, people did follow up with Tri can, and it looks like the race kit will be good for at least the next two years, so if you're racing worlds in either of those years, you can look froward to only having to buy parade items, and not the race suit...

So at least there's that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the exact same thing..............duhhh. I just don't get all this complaining......I did my first worlds back in 95 and it was the same thing and the uniforms were even uglier and back then I was a student with no money. Positive was not every tom dick and harry could get in ie. it didn't roll down, you typically had to be top 10 in your age group at least to get a spot nationally. I think tri canada fees in 95 were the same or maybe 50 bucks cheaper? I think the complaining should be more about how we have made the world champs a money grab by how anyone can qualify.......why do you think hawaii has such prestige?
Last edited by: canwi: Apr 13, 17 21:43
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't...............maybe it's coming
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [canwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Moving to 18 per age group is such a massive shift to a participation event and away for people really going for excellence. As a participation focused event, people should be understanding of paying full price and a little extra for the prestige.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would disagree in that I bet the sport's participant numbers have increased a ton since '95. So in reality it's still the same % of excellence. I'll look to see if i can find some numbers to distinguish which was more prestigous. Saying you made top 10 with 100 in your AG is the same as saying you made top 18 with 180 people now. But yes you'll hear the stories of them rolling down to anyone, but I bet on average overall, we have more participants racing nationals and going for qualifying spots and thus the same % of top people make it versus 20 years ago when less people were in it.

ETA: Here is a quick trend for USAT atleast published in their 2015 report. Not going back to '95 specifically but atleast shows what the numbers are at:

At the end of 1999, membership (annual and one-day) stood at 127,824. Those numbers had more than doubled to 262,703 by 2005, and USA Triathlon continued to experience double-digit annual growth through 2007 when it reached 336,356 members.

After hitting 441,060 members in 2009, USA Triathlon consistently experienced 4 percent growth in 2010 and 2011 before a 5.64 percent increase in annual and one-day members in 2012, topping out at a record high 510,859. One-day memberships now stand at over 477,000.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 14, 17 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I would disagree in that I bet the sport's participant numbers have increased a ton since '95. So in reality it's still the same % of excellence. I'll look to see if i can find some numbers to distinguish which was more prestigous. Saying you made top 10 with 100 in your AG is the same as saying you made top 18 with 180 people now. But yes you'll hear the stories of them rolling down to anyone, but I bet on average overall, we have more participants racing nationals and going for qualifying spots and thus the same % of top people make it versus 20 years ago when less people were in it.

ETA: Here is a quick trend for USAT atleast published in their 2015 report. Not going back to '95 specifically but atleast shows what the numbers are at:

At the end of 1999, membership (annual and one-day) stood at 127,824. Those numbers had more than doubled to 262,703 by 2005, and USA Triathlon continued to experience double-digit annual growth through 2007 when it reached 336,356 members.

After hitting 441,060 members in 2009, USA Triathlon consistently experienced 4 percent growth in 2010 and 2011 before a 5.64 percent increase in annual and one-day members in 2012, topping out at a record high 510,859. One-day memberships now stand at over 477,000.

I concur with your line of argument although it tends to implode a little in the senior ranks where in some events everyone entered would qualify because there are only 18 or less. As to rolling down to anyone ... USAT limits the roll down to the 25th position. So in reality, and given the costs of travel (especially when the worlds are not in the U.S.) anyone in the top 25 can go if they want, but if you are #26 or higher then you are out; unlike that other event where lightning strikes maybe a couple of times a year and #76 or such gets a slot.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Apr 14, 17 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More doesn't equal better. Marathon times are slower even though more people race now. I think it would be interesting to see the trend of times at worlds events over the years. Some really fast people always show, but a lot are just there for a trip and get roll down spots or buy a spot. Look at the difference in the host country team vs years when they aren't hosting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying it's better. I'm saying using the arguement that 1995 was somehow better quality because top 10 only went...I ain't buying it. 25 years ago you could pretty much go to Kona if you wanted to, it was fairly easy to qualify.

Of course it's becoming "participant"? Why because triathlon has exploded in popularity to what it was in 1995. So it's still likely fairly the same excellency representing w top 18 now. That was my point. Saying 1995 was better quality.....eh ok, so your the best of a small population.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I'm not saying it's better. I'm saying using the arguement that 1995 was somehow better quality because top 10 only went...I ain't buying it. 25 years ago you could pretty much go to Kona if you wanted to, it was fairly easy to qualify.

Of course it's becoming "participant"? Why because triathlon has exploded in popularity to what it was in 1995. So it's still likely fairly the same excellency representing w top 18 now. That was my point. Saying 1995 was better quality.....eh ok, so your the best of a small population.

Lots of assumptions there. And I'm not sure what it means to be a winner in a big population if most of those people are recreational and not elite performers. Do you feel better at Boston because you are top 5% in a massive field or because you finished within 5% of the winner? I guess some like to say they are 50th at itu worlds and 50,000 people complete a triathlon in that age group...good for them??

Itu worlds is a participation/travel event. The top few are trying to be competitive and most others are going to be part of the team. Good for them, but let's not get too bent out of shape when told to pay up.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [canwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Won't likely be racing AG worlds again until 2020... will probably need a new suit by then

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What assumption did I make?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next