Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My tailor friend has already adjusted a few race suits and made non-form-fitting race tops just right for me. From what I have experienced, a good tailor can work on any material. She is actually also an athlete I coach and knows I like my race stuff "just right". I still don't understand the sizing chart but am waiting for a response from the clothing company for some guidance :)

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [zoomrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got this response: hope it helps everybody: apparently the sizing charts next to each garment are when it's lying FLAT???

Hi Mikey,

The body size chart is the best way to find your size for all garments. I have attached this for your reference.

The garment size chart is measurements are for a flat garment lying on the ground, so a stretchy suit like a trisuit is measured without it being stretched on the body. The trisuits have about 10cm of stretch in them and often people choose a size down for a firmer fit and the super-fast suit has about 5cm and we always recommend people select a size or two up. So if you find your size on the main size chart, these extra measurements help if you are extra-long in the body etc.

So in looking at the LD Superfast Suit, those measurements are a garment lying on the ground. Allow about 5cm stretch for these points.

I hope that clarifies the sizing for you.

Kind regards,

Louisa Paul

Project Clothing PTY Ltd
19 Henderson Road,
Knoxfield, VIC 3180
Australia
+61 3 9213 8448

projectteamwear
projectclothingcompany
projectclothing

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Kate S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never heard of legal transfers... and if you didn't qualify, the team fee was $500... My understanding for the spots available, was that they were for people adding events that had already qualified in something else... I got a few e-mails to ask if I wanted to add the standard Du, since I am qualified and registered in the Sprint... I didn't know they were taking applications from new athletes for spots...

In terms of the kit, it's stepper than usual, which is pretty disappointing. The prices aren't that bad, if it was a kit that you could use in the next couple of years... but since the Orca days (I think the last year was 06 that they used the Orca kit), they put a kaibosh on using previous years kits (as long as they were sponsor correct). Realistically, they should lock in the kit design til 2020 (which is the current commitment with Project), every team member would need a Project Kit once, but in subsequent years if you already had one, you could skip it (if you wanted to)... And then add 1-2 parade pieces/year... and keep that around $150... That said, $50 for a running top is ridiculous... $20-$35, OK, but $50, I'm not sure what this top does above what a $30 one would do... The race kit is actually reasonable, at the higher end of the normal range... it's the parade kit that is ridiculous (the cycling jacket is a very reasonable price range, the shorts and shirt (or urban backpack) are not...)... If I recall, for Ottawa 2013, is was $350 uniform fee, we got race kit, jacket, track pants (this was a champ sys year, the fit on the track pants was awful, and they were lined... for an august race), tech top and a cycling cap (cap was hideous, but i traded it to an american for beers at the afterparty...). That was including taxes and shipping.

There was no pre-pay and coupon this year, it was just a warning on the pricing (up to $500) and that we would buy directly from the Project webshop... Not sure about enforcement on Parade Kit, but I personally wouldn't skimp on an item or two, to travel all that way and get told I couldn't race...

I'm assuming the main reason for the mandatory re-buy every year, is to make it profitable for companies to want to bid on the contract, but that policy prices many people out from participating...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Kate S wrote:
JayPeeWhy wrote:
Kate S wrote:
Does anyone know someone who wants to race for Team Canada (a Canadian)? I have registered but now can't go due to an unavoidable conflict. No refunds - but they will let me transfer my registration to any age group (or gender) as long as its before April 9 the uniform order deadline.

Is a spot at worlds is available for transfer to anyone else oir do you have to have done a qualifying spot?

You don't have to qualify at this point if spots are available in your AG. They had a open registration period for anyone - which is now closed. Qualifiers got first dibs on spots last fall...then they gradually broadened the registration options. Triathlon Canada is longer taking new registrations but will allow transfers.

Message me if you are interested.

Wow, this implies the qualiyy of the Canada team is not real high? In the US, you have to qualify and no transfers.

Or maybe having a country with 10X more people means you have a pool that's 10x larger than we do here in Canada. There are more people in California than there is in all of Canada.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [trijunkie123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm supremely pissed as I heard Canada was switching from Project.
Now that I look at the web store, what is stopping me from purchasing JUST a kit?
Is TriCan auditing this?
If I only purchase a kit, what are they going to do, ban me from racing?
I can't even make it to the athlete's parade, so purchasing a team uniform to me is a huge waste of money.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [zoomrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My tailor friend has already adjusted a few race suits and made non-form-fitting race tops just right for me. From what I have experienced, a good tailor can work on any material. She is actually also an athlete I coach and knows I like my race stuff "just right". I still don't understand the sizing chart but am waiting for a response from the clothing company for some guidance

Yes! Getting a bit OT, I find I have to do this with a lot of my cycling specific kit that I buy - off-the-rack, I am hard to fit in the S/M/L paradigm. Not to get too specific, or detailed, but my body is a bit of a strange shape, and manufacturers are all over the map with their size charts. In cycling jerseys alone, in my closet I have XL Castelli jerseys and Smalls in other manufacturers that all fit well! Others as well as bib-shorts, I have had to have modified slightly via a tailor that I know that knows her stuff, these materials and how to make the right mods

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super disappointed to be pulling out because I am angry at how exclusive this supposed WC's is this year.

I wonder if any decision makers poll the comments on forums here and on social media.

If they did, it is obvious there is a significant % of people who want to race but can't now, or aren't willing to because of the high cost.

And, of course, there are others willing to pay.

If it were a business, it would be really worried about the very significant % of my prospective or former customers being pissed.

And, given Triathlon Canada is a non-profit they should be even more responsible to its members.

I hope that anyone has shown displeasure is also writing emails to Triathlon Canada so they know how many people are upset.

Best Regards,
Scott McMillan
(now announcing my return to Slowtwitch after a long hiatus, only because of ridiculous ITU WC and Triathlon Canada fees)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Mckid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"now announcing my return to Slowtwitch after a long hiatus, only because of ridiculous ITU WC and Triathlon Canada fees"

at least one good thing came out of it ;-\

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, maybe 1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And, this is supposed to make it all seem ok...

to help address your concerns, and those of the community, we have created the following FAQ.

Why has the price increased from past years?
In 2016 the cost for the Team Uniform was $300 + provincial taxes + shipping ($30CDN) along with a duty fee for a total of approximately $385-406 dollars (depending on provincial tax and individual order for duty). In 2017, the costs range from $350-385 + taxes and shipping ($39AUS). This cost depends on the model of race uniform selected. It is important to note that Duty charges are included in this price. This is an overall price increase of approximately $40 dollars from previous years.

Triathlon Canada selected Project as its official clothing supplier in January of 2017 so the exact costs were not known upon athlete registration so last years price was provided as a guideline. While we did provide the uniform kit price of the previous year, the slight rate increase is due to the higher cost of manufacturing. Project remains competitive in pricing overall for technical gear in comparison to other suppliers.

Triathlon Canada is providing more detailed information on our new website regarding costs to represent Canada for those interested in participating in the future.

Why is the total cost in Australian currency?
Triathlon Canada had a tight timeline to select an official clothing supplier in order to meet the demands of uniform preparation. As a result, Project Clothing was unable to set-up the Canadian-based office prior to uniform orders being required—thus we are using their existing site, which requires the items be charged in Australian dollars. However, because we have an agreement with Project on pricing in Canadian dollars, this was reflected on the web site. While I appreciate this may be confusing to our community, it is being fixed, and Project Clothing will have an employee and Canadian branch with a Canadian based web store in place later this spring.

Why does Triathlon Canada not have a Canadian Supplier?
In the fall of 2016, Triathlon Canada issued an international request for proposal in an effort to select the best manufacturer of technical training and race gear for all athletes in the Triathlon Canada Nation. Based on a recent survey completed by Age-Group Team Canada athletes, along with input from athletes at all levels in our Olympic and Paralympic pathway, Triathlon Canada prioritized quality, design and cost above what country the clothing partner was located. We simply wanted the best deal possible for all of our athletes. Without question, Project Clothing delivered the largest return for our entire community - ensuring the needs of all of our athletes were met. Also, as part of their agreement with Triathlon Canada Project is hiring a Canadian staff member and will be building the Canadian web store.

What is compulsory and why do I have to order the whole team kit?
There are very strict guidelines in place that are set by the International Triathlon Union for major international competitions. The ITU has uniform requirements, which are stated in the ITU Competition Rules. All athletes must wear the exact same race suit in the discipline, which they are competing in. The rules also state the colour and design of the uniform, along with podium apparel, must be distinct to that country and must be approved by the ITU in advance.

Given this, Triathlon Canada has a mandatory Team Uniform to ensure that athletes meet all of the ITU Requirements. The uniform is non-negotiable. The Team Uniform includes:
  1. Race Suit
  2. T-Shirt
  3. Shorts/Skirt or Backpack
  4. Team Jacket

While Triathlon Canada has submitted the payment of Race Fees to the Local Organizing Committee, we are still responsible for submitting athlete’s names to the ITU Start list. We only submit those athletes in good-standing with Triathlon Canada. Should you not comply to the uniform requirements, you would therefore not be in good-standing and would not be eligible to compete.

Why did you include a jacket as a compulsory item when it will be very warm in Penticton in August?
Based on the feedback we heard from age group Team Canada athletes in our 2016 Triathlon Canada survey, athletes ranked the following in order of importance to them: jacket, tri-shorts and tri-top in the mandatory Team Uniform/Parade kit. They also asked to use the Race Suit for at least two years in a row to save money. We listened to our athletes and this has been negotiated in the new agreement with Project.

How is the Age-Group Team Canada funded?
Athlete participation on Team Canada is completely self-funded. There are significant costs that are involved in selecting and managing a national team to compete at World Championships. As a result, Triathlon Canada takes a $150 Team Management Fee, which pays for the year-round administration and management of Age-Group Team Canada. Specifically, the funds support the identification and selection of Triathlon Canada Qualification Events, athlete registration and acceptance, development and coordination of accommodation, travel, uniform design and administration, health and safety of athletes, insurance and bike support. Triathlon Canada also supplies a management team at each race who is responsible for managing the team, liaising with the ITU, providing daily information updates, athlete briefings, coached familiarization rides, organizing team dinners and “office hours” to help each and every athlete in their race preparation and coordination. It also includes a team “Meet and Greet”-- a special social event organized to provide Canadian athletes with a unique opportunity can get to know their teammates over food and beverages in a fun environment.

As a non-profit organization, all additional funds are re-directed into the Age-Group Team Canada program. Triathlon Canada's Olympic and Paralympic program is funded entirely by all levels of government, along with corporate support. Age-group program fees do not support the Olympic and Paralympic program.

What are Triathlon Canada’s refund policies?
Team Management Fees: All team management fees are non-refundable. Athletes, under no circumstances, will be able to defer their team management fee to a subsequent ITU World Championship event, nor are they able to transfer this fee to another athlete.

Race Fees: It is important to note Triathlon Canada is not responsible for setting race fees. This is done by the ITU and Local Organizing Committees (LOC). Race fees can be refunded by formal written request to Triathlon Canada up until the deadline where funds are transferred to the Local Organizing Committee (LOC). The deadline for the transfer of funds to the LOC is specific to each ITU World Championship Event. Triathlon Canada will identify the deadline for refunds at the same time athletes are notified of the race fee payment. All information will be posted on the Triathlon Canada web site. If a written request is received prior to this deadline, Triathlon Canada will issue a refund less the transaction and administration fee to process the refund. If written request is sent after this deadline, all race fee payments will be non-refundable. Athletes, under no circumstances, will be able to defer their race fee payment to a subsequent year.

Uniforms: It is imperative that athletes use the sizing chart to determine their correct suit measurements and the correct fit for all items. There will be no refunds on clothing orders. The exception is if there is a manufacturers error. Please contact Project should you have any questions.

Project Contact: Project trican@projectclothing.com.au

I hope this helps clarify some of your questions and concerns. Once again, I thank you for expressing your concerns to me directly. You are a valued member of the Triathlon Canada Nation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mckid wrote:
And, this is supposed to make it all seem ok...

to help address your concerns, and those of the community, we have created the following FAQ.

Why has the price increased from past years?
In 2016 the cost for the Team Uniform was $300 + provincial taxes + shipping ($30CDN) along with a duty fee for a total of approximately $385-406 dollars (depending on provincial tax and individual order for duty). In 2017, the costs range from $350-385 + taxes and shipping ($39AUS). This cost depends on the model of race uniform selected. It is important to note that Duty charges are included in this price. This is an overall price increase of approximately $40 dollars from previous years.

Triathlon Canada selected Project as its official clothing supplier in January of 2017 so the exact costs were not known upon athlete registration so last years price was provided as a guideline. While we did provide the uniform kit price of the previous year, the slight rate increase is due to the higher cost of manufacturing. Project remains competitive in pricing overall for technical gear in comparison to other suppliers.

Triathlon Canada is providing more detailed information on our new website regarding costs to represent Canada for those interested in participating in the future.

Why is the total cost in Australian currency?
Triathlon Canada had a tight timeline to select an official clothing supplier in order to meet the demands of uniform preparation. As a result, Project Clothing was unable to set-up the Canadian-based office prior to uniform orders being required—thus we are using their existing site, which requires the items be charged in Australian dollars. However, because we have an agreement with Project on pricing in Canadian dollars, this was reflected on the web site. While I appreciate this may be confusing to our community, it is being fixed, and Project Clothing will have an employee and Canadian branch with a Canadian based web store in place later this spring.

Why does Triathlon Canada not have a Canadian Supplier?
In the fall of 2016, Triathlon Canada issued an international request for proposal in an effort to select the best manufacturer of technical training and race gear for all athletes in the Triathlon Canada Nation. Based on a recent survey completed by Age-Group Team Canada athletes, along with input from athletes at all levels in our Olympic and Paralympic pathway, Triathlon Canada prioritized quality, design and cost above what country the clothing partner was located. We simply wanted the best deal possible for all of our athletes. Without question, Project Clothing delivered the largest return for our entire community - ensuring the needs of all of our athletes were met. Also, as part of their agreement with Triathlon Canada Project is hiring a Canadian staff member and will be building the Canadian web store.

What is compulsory and why do I have to order the whole team kit?
There are very strict guidelines in place that are set by the International Triathlon Union for major international competitions. The ITU has uniform requirements, which are stated in the ITU Competition Rules. All athletes must wear the exact same race suit in the discipline, which they are competing in. The rules also state the colour and design of the uniform, along with podium apparel, must be distinct to that country and must be approved by the ITU in advance.

Given this, Triathlon Canada has a mandatory Team Uniform to ensure that athletes meet all of the ITU Requirements. The uniform is non-negotiable. The Team Uniform includes:
  1. Race Suit
  2. T-Shirt
  3. Shorts/Skirt or Backpack
  4. Team Jacket

While Triathlon Canada has submitted the payment of Race Fees to the Local Organizing Committee, we are still responsible for submitting athlete’s names to the ITU Start list. We only submit those athletes in good-standing with Triathlon Canada. Should you not comply to the uniform requirements, you would therefore not be in good-standing and would not be eligible to compete.

Why did you include a jacket as a compulsory item when it will be very warm in Penticton in August?
Based on the feedback we heard from age group Team Canada athletes in our 2016 Triathlon Canada survey, athletes ranked the following in order of importance to them: jacket, tri-shorts and tri-top in the mandatory Team Uniform/Parade kit. They also asked to use the Race Suit for at least two years in a row to save money. We listened to our athletes and this has been negotiated in the new agreement with Project.

How is the Age-Group Team Canada funded?
Athlete participation on Team Canada is completely self-funded. There are significant costs that are involved in selecting and managing a national team to compete at World Championships. As a result, Triathlon Canada takes a $150 Team Management Fee, which pays for the year-round administration and management of Age-Group Team Canada. Specifically, the funds support the identification and selection of Triathlon Canada Qualification Events, athlete registration and acceptance, development and coordination of accommodation, travel, uniform design and administration, health and safety of athletes, insurance and bike support. Triathlon Canada also supplies a management team at each race who is responsible for managing the team, liaising with the ITU, providing daily information updates, athlete briefings, coached familiarization rides, organizing team dinners and “office hours” to help each and every athlete in their race preparation and coordination. It also includes a team “Meet and Greet”-- a special social event organized to provide Canadian athletes with a unique opportunity can get to know their teammates over food and beverages in a fun environment.

As a non-profit organization, all additional funds are re-directed into the Age-Group Team Canada program. Triathlon Canada's Olympic and Paralympic program is funded entirely by all levels of government, along with corporate support. Age-group program fees do not support the Olympic and Paralympic program.

What are Triathlon Canada’s refund policies?
Team Management Fees: All team management fees are non-refundable. Athletes, under no circumstances, will be able to defer their team management fee to a subsequent ITU World Championship event, nor are they able to transfer this fee to another athlete.

Race Fees: It is important to note Triathlon Canada is not responsible for setting race fees. This is done by the ITU and Local Organizing Committees (LOC). Race fees can be refunded by formal written request to Triathlon Canada up until the deadline where funds are transferred to the Local Organizing Committee (LOC). The deadline for the transfer of funds to the LOC is specific to each ITU World Championship Event. Triathlon Canada will identify the deadline for refunds at the same time athletes are notified of the race fee payment. All information will be posted on the Triathlon Canada web site. If a written request is received prior to this deadline, Triathlon Canada will issue a refund less the transaction and administration fee to process the refund. If written request is sent after this deadline, all race fee payments will be non-refundable. Athletes, under no circumstances, will be able to defer their race fee payment to a subsequent year.

Uniforms: It is imperative that athletes use the sizing chart to determine their correct suit measurements and the correct fit for all items. There will be no refunds on clothing orders. The exception is if there is a manufacturers error. Please contact Project should you have any questions.

Project Contact: Project trican@projectclothing.com.au

I hope this helps clarify some of your questions and concerns. Once again, I thank you for expressing your concerns to me directly. You are a valued member of the Triathlon Canada Nation.

Seems pretty valid to me. If you do not like just do not go. Pretty simple.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also minimum compulsory uniform order is appox. $400.

But, they're representing their country...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is very little that is truly 'valid' or ok with that. That is a weak attempt to answer some questions and not get to the heart of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

And one can fully not do the race. Why is this so hard?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

And? Attending 'world champs' as part of the national team is for people who can afford it and have a desire to go. This isn't the Olympics or the WTS events that select a handful of the best in the world.

They certainly don't need to have a minimum uniform order that includes anything but a race suit, however I'm sure that has more to do with deals struck with suppliers and less with the ITU regulations around podium gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for quoting the entire post...really useful and makes reading the thread much easier...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I purchased ONLY the race suit. I suggest all other Canadian athletes do the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I would have less of a problem with the compulsory uniform if it wasn't priced so ridiculously high. $50 for what is essentially a plain white tech t, and $75 for essentially plain black shorts or skirt? Feels more like a money grab. And while a survey may have shown athletes to be most interested in a "jacket", to interpret that as a winter jacket for a summer event seems a bit off.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing that the Technical Officials care about is your race suit... twice I have been asked to show it at events to make sure it met regulations... my warm up outfit was irrelevant

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mckid wrote:

This doesn't do us any good when we have to place orders by this Sunday...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have. Making slow progress.
And, yes, it is never too late to change the deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So - I figured I'd hedge my bets and see if I could get away w just ordering the Tri suit, as I'm not planning on going to parade, and I won't need podium apparel.

My order went through online ok.

But I just got an email from TriCanada ... I totally got caught!!

Oh well, worth a shot. I'm in this deep already so might as well finish it off.

L
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL....looks like USAT isn't the only "not so subtle" scammer in the business.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [alligatorCAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alligatorCAN wrote:
I guess I would have less of a problem with the compulsory uniform if it wasn't priced so ridiculously high. $50 for what is essentially a plain white tech t, and $75 for essentially plain black shorts or skirt? Feels more like a money grab. And while a survey may have shown athletes to be most interested in a "jacket", to interpret that as a winter jacket for a summer event seems a bit off.

If we join the AFL Umpires, we get that same $50 shirt for $28.60... we triathletes must really be suckers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just placed my order, required 10 minutes on the phone with my credit card company so I could 'splain why I was ordering 500$ worth of clothes from australia. Fun times.

Quote Reply

Prev Next