Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Keg Question
Quote | Reply
For the enlightened:

How long is the beer in a half full keg good for if not kept on ice? if kept on ice? if sitting outside, not on ice, but in 50 degree temps?

Also, is there any good way to store the beer inside the keg, if only for a few days, if said keg must be returned to it's renter before you and your roomate can finish it.

This is totally on topic, as the next two months of my base training is being fueled by the processed beer stored in my gut.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [whokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's leftover beer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly you need to stop typing and start drinking. And keep the damn thing in the coldest place you can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-On ice, a weekish, I believe. Outside, less...maybe 3-4 days.
-To store it, try sealing in mason jars. You want as tight as seal as possible.

Beer "skunks". If it's cooled, then warms up, and then you try and chill it again, it'll taste like crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is another keg question. How much should a keg cost? How many beers can you get out of one? Is a pony keg just half of a keg?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use empty (and clean) milk jugs to store the beer, it should keep the beer fresh for two days in the fridge.

Another option would be to keep the keg in an empty garbage can in a shaded cool spot and just keep throwing bags of ice on top of it. This is probably the best option because it was my understanding that one should not tap a keg then let it get warm then try to cool it down again. Not sure why but that was what we were told in college.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you search my posts you'll see that I work at Miller Brewing Co, Milwaukee WI, USA. I want all of you to imagine me as the High Life man voice when you read my posts.

Give me some time. I'll ask the experts.

Burns
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not exactly true about the cooling and warming. If that were the case, no beers would ever be pastuerized. I could be wrong though. Air and light are extremely bad.

Burns
Last edited by: Burns: Nov 22, 05 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI

The industry measures volume in Barrels (bbls). A keg, in the size you remember from your college days, is a half barrel. A pony keg is a quarter barrel. There is also slim kegs, but they're for retail. A keg has about 160 beers.

How much do they cost? You want Pilsner Urquell, or do you want Keystone Light?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it cold and pressureized and the beer in the keg will keep for weeks. We ran into this problem at my wedding and had two mostly full Kegs leftover (nobody drinks beer when there is free liquer - go figure). Any way my best man kept the kegs in an fridge for the whole honeymoon (14 days) and we drank it when we got home.

oh, also make sure to remove the tap when it is going to sit for more than a few hours unused or the beer will go flat.

i hope it is not too late for your Keg!

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
put a tap on your fridge and you'll be all set.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ithink you are supposed to include your CC for slowman for OT topics.

I was at a wedding where they had the wrong tap, but they had the right powerdrill and bit. The guy's best man was his 18 year old younger brother who was holding the drill saying "I need someone older than me to tell me this is OK to do." A hole in the top and one in the bottom and a couple of empty 5 gallon water bottles later we
had successfully removed the beer from the keg. Not sure how successful they were at refilling it...
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [Burns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]not exactly true about the cooling and warming. If that were the case, no beers would ever be pastuerized. I could be wrong though. Air and light are extremely bad.

Burns[/reply]

They why does your employer (Miller) package their beer in clear bottles? Someone in marketing had to come up with that stupid idea. Your commercials are pretty good though. Of course that is about the only good thing about the major US beer producers. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not 100% on this (beer snob, unless it's free) but Miller comes in dark bottles, not clear.

But if it does come in clear bottles, wtf?

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beer can be kept for along time in the keg as long as you keep it pressurized with CO2. I have been homebrewing for 8 years and keg my beer to carbonate it. You have to keep around 12-15 psi on it to keep it properly carbonated. In a keg......light, nor temp. matter that much....the only thing temp does is allow the CO2 to saturate the beer quicker...ie..the colder the faster it will carbonate. Keeping it pumped up with air will not help, Sorry.
Last edited by: TriDavis: Nov 22, 05 12:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
160 beers between my roomates in college and I was 1 night of drinking, no problem 20-30 each. If you are a lightweight and can't finish it, fill up a bunch of pitchers, put them in the fridge and have them in the morning. Simple, every college student should know this stuff.

Or call up kittycat and AndyPants, they will finish it for you.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keep 'em coming guys, this is good stuff.

Burns, especially you.

As for the clear bottles, i cross checked burns' postings, and apparently the champaign of beers (which comes in clear bottles) uses a light stable hops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about those bottles that hold high pressure that you can get at bigger liquor stores? I forget what they're called, but you fill them up out of the keg and cap them quick. If you put it in the fridge it'll be just like opening a bottle of beer days later. (I only know this cause some friends of mine tend to utilize this technique at closing time when they know the bar tender).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As for the clear bottles, i cross checked burns' postings, and apparently the champaign of beers (which comes in clear bottles) uses a light stable hops.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, thanks.

Oh, and if you want to keep the keg fresh, press on the little ball valve on top of it (to let all the air out, the air that you pumped in to it) and then recarbonate it with CO2.

Anyone else here homebrew? I just moved and didn't have room for my kegerator and don't feel like brewing until I get another one somehow.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My advice is to give that puppy to the homeboys and stay away. No good has ever come from 6 or 10 extra gallons of beer. Believe me it only brings pain and misery. My next door neighbor used to work for the Miller distributor and I was his "go to" guy for finishing up the party kegs post event. His were all in frig containers under C O2. He would tell me Sunday that it needed to be back in his garage by Wed or Thurs.

Being brought up under the code of Waste no Beer I did my best to help out the cause and paid for it hard multiple times as did all my homeys. I can't tell you how many lost Sunday, Monday, Tuesdays I had during those years.

If it is under refrigerated and has a pump you got about two days and it is getting past its prime. Still drinkable, but pushing it a tad. Just remember FOAM IS BEER.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live and what kind of beer is it? I'm sure we could have this "problem" figured out in a very short time if you let us know the details...

-Darrell

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [Darrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanksgiving is coming, just bring it home.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [Darrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree I'd be more than willing to help with the "problem." Never have had a keg make it long enough to go bad, we usually run out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solution to your problem is called everflow.

Invite some friends over, open the tap and pass around until keg is empty.

Used to do this every Wednesday night before going out to drink.

Ahhh, college.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What's leftover beer?

It's what Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Abominable Snowman drink.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply

Prev Next