Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Keg Question [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are lightweights if you don't know what leftover beer is. Leftover beer is when you and a couple buddies buy a 16 gallon keg because it is "cheaper" than your usual weekend beer tab and think that heck we have Friday night, all day Saturday and most of Sunday to finish it off. I don't care who you are drinking more than a couple gallons of beer prior to taking a nap isn't the smartest thing, but has been done plenty of times just ask Kenny S. and Paul T. if you don't believe me. I lost a bet to a buddy that he couldn't drink a Pony keg from Friday 9:00 pm and the end of the Football game Sunday afternoon.

That is what leftover beer is. And remember Foam is Beer. Don't waste that shit either.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They why does your employer (Miller) package their beer in clear bottles? Someone in marketing had to come up with that stupid idea. Your commercials are pretty good though. Of course that is about the only good thing about the major US beer producers. ;-)

Exactly.

You know why people put limes in Corona??? Because, although the silkscreened clear bottles look cool, the quality of that beer goes down quicker than a fat chick on prom night.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [whokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For the enlightened:

How long is the beer in a half full keg good for if not kept on ice? if kept on ice? if sitting outside, not on ice, but in 50 degree temps?

Also, is there any good way to store the beer inside the keg, if only for a few days, if said keg must be returned to it's renter before you and your roomate can finish it.

This is totally on topic, as the next two months of my base training is being fueled by the processed beer stored in my gut.

If you are asking, propably less time than you have had it. Most folks have given you the right answers. Keep it cold if under pressure, cool will be OK. The technical info can be found here:

http://turbotap.com/...eUserTemperature.php

--------------------------------------------------------
Rebuilt with twice as many titanium parts as Portland79.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You guys are lightweights

Hehehehe

That is not something that I'm used to hearing!

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This also is to bryce_d:

yep. clear bottles. High Life and MGD. It's probably a bit marketing, BUT we are the only brewer to use "light-stable" hops. HA! gotcha.

Also, I appreciated the smiley. I hate beer snobs. No better than bike snobs.

Burns- Producer (indirectly) of Miller products, rider of a cheap Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [whokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This reply is going out to everyone.

Sorry boys. Couldn't get a hold of the beer scientists (no shit, Beer Scientists). It's the holiday.

I'll check in on this thread on Monday.

Late.

Burns
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [Burns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The industry measures volume in Barrels (bbls). A keg, in the size you remember from your college days, is a half barrel. A pony keg is a quarter barrel.

I think there is some regional difference on what a pony keg is. It perplexes me that you answered this from the center of the American Beer Brewing Empire(pbui) the way you did. I grew up in the Great White North, in between the Kingdom of Millerdom, and the Leinenkugel Provinces, and we always called a quarter barrel a Quarter Barrel. The thing that we called a pony keg was smaller than that, maybe 3.5 gallons or so, and were most popularly filled with Point. (Geez, central WI used to produce some darn fine beers in some of the smaller breweries...is Regal Brau still made? That was good stuff.)

Quote:
You want Pilsner Urquell, or do you want Keystone Light?

Pilsner Urquell, please! Does anybody really want Keystone Light?

(Was that me being a beer snob? Sorry, but some American beers are just nasty)

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [Burns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Lakefront was the only good brewery in town? What is this Miller brand you keep referencing?

Dan in Wauwatosa
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dc area pricing: Bud, Bud Light, Bud Ice, Miller Lite, High Life, Natty Light, etc - cheap beers - all $39.99 a keg. Good stuff may be $80.

It's roughly 30 gallons of beer. So, quite a few cases worth.
Quote Reply
Re: Keg Question [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a brewer for 12 years and I can definitely answer your question with accuracy.

If you used carbon dioxide to pressurize the keg, you are in good shape and can keep the keg for several days (10 or so) before any degredation in flavor or body. After 10 days it will begin to lose a bit of flavor due to the blow off of the hops but it will still be drikable for a few weeks after that. Try to keep it at 40 degrees or cooler to make it last longer.

If you had a hand pump you're not going to be very happy. Forcing high pressure ambient air into the keg will speed up the oxidation process and your beer quality will degrade rather quickly. You have about 48 hours before it will start going stale and begin to take on the aroma of wet cardboard and may begin to smell a lot like a cat's litter box. Particularly if it's a lower quality beer like just about any mass produced crap out there from the big 3 (Miller, Coors and bud). If it has more hops, like an IPA for instance, that could stave off oxidation for a few days yet, but nce you have pressurized a keg with that much oxegen, it's all over.

If it's quality beer, drink it fast and make lots of new friends. If it's swill beer to begin with, stop by my house so I can slap you up side the head for getting it in the first place.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MICROBREWERY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Karma.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply

Prev Next