Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An ITU race kit is compulsory... like I said above get the nicer suit which is tighter. Then if you are not doing the parade fill the cart until the coupon is used with stuff you will use.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [trijunkie123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya I'm super annoyed too. I understand the team fee - but NOT additional team fees for adding events. I understand event entry fee, no big complaints as it's what I expected for a LC race, understand mandatory race uniform too. But I'm not keen to spend more for t-shirt, shorts, and a jacket.

I emailed TriCanada to ask what is the implication of not ordering the compulsory uniform? Is it DQ?

Does anyone know?

I'm considering calling it a wash and just not going. Wanted to support Penticton, thought it would be cool to be a part of. Kinda over it now tho. Maybe I'll just race the apple.... oh wait...

Ready to say screw it, gone mtn biking.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [LauraM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the scope of costs, this stuff is just not that big of a deal.

I know in the US, there are always folks who would like to represent our country and be in TeamUSA. These races have NEVER been cheap, so why some
each year bitch about the same stuff just makes me smile. Step aside and let others follow their dreams.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [zoomrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious as to if it was just a normal clothing tailor that you went to or one that is used to working on peformance fabric?

I have a race suit that is like to have a few adjustments on and am wondering if I can or should just bring to the regular person I see.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [jax101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious as to how the alterations have gone and what kind of tailor you used and perhaps where you live as I'm looking for someone to do this on one of my suits.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, how often do you go again?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I especially like being forced to buy a winter cycling jacket that we will not be able to wear during race week. Very disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah Apple on Hiatus in 17

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [Kate S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kate S wrote:
Does anyone know someone who wants to race for Team Canada (a Canadian)? I have registered but now can't go due to an unavoidable conflict. No refunds - but they will let me transfer my registration to any age group (or gender) as long as its before April 9 the uniform order deadline.

Is a spot at worlds is available for transfer to anyone else oir do you have to have done a qualifying spot?

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Apr 2, 17 8:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, you are simply wrong. They never were this high, and if you paid attention, I have NEVER seen the team full. They go, what, 16 deep in each AG? Having done a number myself and seeing the kits at other races I do, the quality of the team is not very high as so many good athletes see the cost as ridiculous and the "roll down" goes waaaaayyyyyy down to people that are frankly not very fast or representative of their country, but have money and the ego to wear the kit at every race they do. Many years I was shocked at how slow many were in my own AG. This ain't the Olympics buddy!

h2ofun wrote:

I know in the US, there are always folks who would like to represent our country and be in TeamUSA. These races have NEVER been cheap, so why some
each year bitch about the same stuff just makes me smile. Step aside and let others follow their dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
Kate S wrote:
Does anyone know someone who wants to race for Team Canada (a Canadian)? I have registered but now can't go due to an unavoidable conflict. No refunds - but they will let me transfer my registration to any age group (or gender) as long as its before April 9 the uniform order deadline.

Is a spot at worlds is available for transfer to anyone else oir do you have to have done a qualifying spot?

You don't have to qualify at this point if spots are available in your AG. They had a open registration period for anyone - which is now closed. Qualifiers got first dibs on spots last fall...then they gradually broadened the registration options. Triathlon Canada is longer taking new registrations but will allow transfers.

Message me if you are interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Dave, how often do you go again?

Have not gone for the last few years. Have gone 3 times in my life so far.
But, sure going to cost me a lot this year, which is why I am not going to all of them that I have qualified for.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Dave, you are simply wrong. They never were this high, and if you paid attention, I have NEVER seen the team full. They go, what, 16 deep in each AG? Having done a number myself and seeing the kits at other races I do, the quality of the team is not very high as so many good athletes see the cost as ridiculous and the "roll down" goes waaaaayyyyyy down to people that are frankly not very fast or representative of their country, but have money and the ego to wear the kit at every race they do. Many years I was shocked at how slow many were in my own AG. This ain't the Olympics buddy!

h2ofun wrote:

So what!!!!!! If folks do not go, and pay the bills, there are no races.

So, you can be elitist all you want.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kate S wrote:
JayPeeWhy wrote:
Kate S wrote:

You don't have to qualify at this point if spots are available in your AG. They had a open registration period for anyone - which is now closed. Qualifiers got first dibs on spots last fall...then they gradually broadened the registration options. Triathlon Canada is longer taking new registrations but will allow transfers.

Wow, this implies the qualiyy of the Canada team is not real high? In the US, you have to qualify and no transfers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Kate S wrote:
JayPeeWhy wrote:
Kate S wrote:

Wow, this implies the qualiyy of the Canada team is not real high? In the US, you have to qualify and no transfers.

Canada is the host country so there are 25 spots per age group compared to the usual 10. I think the top spots filled up quickly with qualifiers. But I have never raced ITU World Championships before so that is just my understanding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kate S wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Kate S wrote:
JayPeeWhy wrote:
Kate S wrote:

Canada is the host country so there are 25 spots per age group compared to the usual 10. I think the top spots filled up quickly with qualifiers. But I have never raced ITU World Championships before so that is just my understanding.

My experience is a county gets 18 slots normally? I know the US does. But, if one is the host county, yep, one gets 25.

But, when the US is the host county, even with 25 slots, it does not change you still have to qualify the same way. And the US has never ever had full teams
no matter where the race is.

So to hear over the years Canada seems to have a process that allows anyone who want to go to be able to sign up? Oh well, it helps keeps the costs down
and folks slow or fast do not impact how I race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is a big deal, so I'm happy to disagree there. I'll also come to peace with it if I decide to step aside and let others follow their dreams, it's really not such a big deal for me not to race. I'll be a middle pack, participatory athlete who qualified by showing up and winging it, so no biggie, correct. But, I think it is a big deal that the Apple and potentially other local races and opportunities are falling victim to this extravaganza that is out of reach for many. Without local, introductory level events to bring new participants and youth into the sport, the spiral of participation and cost per athlete rising, continues. That's why I think it's a big deal, it's not about me or my bank account.

Like I said, I anticipated the cost of entry fee, team fee and Tri suit. So not bitching about that. It's the extras. The undisclosed fees that you commit to pay before knowing what they are, and that feels sneaky. It feels icky that Triathlon Canada makes you pay the team fee without disclosing event entry fees first. It feels icky that you pay the event fee, without knowing you'll have to purchase a compulsory $50 t-shirt. I suppose the cost isn't my rant, it's the lack of upfront transparency, and having to pay in foreign dollars to race at home. The uniforms will be charged to credit card in $AUD in May, despite being advertised in CAD on the store. Which is yet another example of having lack of full information before committing to purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

h2ofun wrote:

So what!!!!!! If folks do not go, and pay the bills, there are no races.

So, you can be elitist all you want.

Nothing to do with being elitist. So, you feel fine paying for the team "mascots", etc to go? They take massage people and "support" people, but you still have to pay for their services (except for mechanics, which you shouldn't need). When I go to a WTC race, I usually have far better competition, the choice on how to spend my money, and I don't have to subsidize others going along. Yes, I absolutely loved the experience of meeting athletes from other countries, Tim Y is awesome, and I went to some great places. But it's another money making junket for USAT. Why do they have to rape their own members for costs to pad the coffers for our "pro" Olympic athletes? When I raced Kona the AG competition was so far superior. That said, some like to parade around in a USA team uniform the rest of the year to stroke their egos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Kate S wrote:
JayPeeWhy wrote:
Kate S wrote:

Literally in the previous post you call ggeiger an elitest for suggesting the qualifying standards for Team USA are too low and the team members are too slow. Now here you make exactly the same complaint about Canada. So which is it?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Kate S wrote:
JayPeeWhy wrote:
Kate S wrote:

Literally in the previous post you call ggeiger an elitest for suggesting the qualifying standards for Team USA are too low and the team members are too slow. Now here you make exactly the same complaint about Canada. So which is it?

Just Dave being Dave....... (yawn).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LauraM wrote:

Like I said, I anticipated the cost of entry fee, team fee and Tri suit. So not bitching about that. It's the extras. The undisclosed fees that you commit to pay before knowing what they are, and that feels sneaky. It feels icky that Triathlon Canada makes you pay the team fee without disclosing event entry fees first. It feels icky that you pay the event fee, without knowing you'll have to purchase a compulsory $50 t-shirt. I suppose the cost isn't my rant, it's the lack of upfront transparency, and having to pay in foreign dollars to race at home. The uniforms will be charged to credit card in $AUD in May, despite being advertised in CAD on the store. Which is yet another example of having lack of full information before committing to purchase.

Nailed it!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi RealAB,
so I'm able to just order the compulsory trisuit for race, then choose say the running shorts and run singlet and winter jacket instead of the Tshirt and casual backpack?
Won't be like barred from racing if I did that? Lol!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [soya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Project probably doesnt care and won't say anything since they still get paid. I know a few others who did the same and nothing was said. Just think about if you are going to the parade of nations where everyone wears the same stuff. On race day everyone just wears what ever as a warm up outfit.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
We were told approx $500 for mandatory kit.

The communication I received (for Rotterdam, not Penticton) from Tri Canada in December said about $300 for mandatory kit. So far with the bare minimum (i.e. without upgrading to the fancy tri suit) I'm at $390 plus shipping, duty, and FedEx brokerage (since they don't offer another shipping method). In the HST payable, they'll also tax all the shipping charges. Maybe if we're lucky, their international shipping center is in Canada... they say it's 'central' to international shipping, but don't say where it is. I've emailed them to ask.

Update: The "centrally located" international warehouse is in China.
Last edited by: surroundhound: Apr 4, 17 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Canada WTF???? [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find Project to fit small.

For worlds in Chicago they had project the trisuit fit but I could not fit the jersey.

Also at Challenge Penticton for the qualifying race they had Project gear, I could not fit in any top they had up to XXL sizes I'm usually a Med

My Blog of Me
Quote Reply

Prev Next