Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Anna s wrote:

5x100 on 2mins - 50 fly 50 free
5x100 on 2 mins - alternating 25fly, 25 free

Looks like you are getting ready for Dev's 400 TT fly/free challenge. ;)

It was ugly and I don't want to talk about it! If I swim 1hr at Roth this year it will be due to trying to nail this challenge!

I better post a good time soon while I have world championship status in this challenge since you will obliterate it when you come on deck and enter the virtual starting blocks....YES TO SUB 60 min at Roth

By the way, when my engine was bigger at age 28, and I did not have as many head and neck and shoulder and spineinjuries from accidents, I was 54.30 at Roth....I was only 20 seconds virtually behind Jurgen Zack and Christian Bustos at the Roth 1993 swim. We won't talk about the pathetic 2 flat bike ride and subsequent walk-run....it was the same summer I ran a 2:48 open marathon, so the engine was big back then. I also feel that my old wetsuit was borderline illegal using today's rules, but that's what they were doing with may wetsuits back then...the rubber must have been 5-7mm thick, but that's before they had a hard ruling about rubber thickness....plus the old "short' Roth course. Between the rubber and the course probably being 2 min short, I was probably more like 58-59 minutes which I swam 13 years later at Lake Placid in a thin sleeveless QR wetsuit.

My last three days were 5000m, 4500m, 3400m swims. Each day, my last 400m set was 50/50 fly-free. Yesterday I did 2x400 of 50/50 though. I think I am getting a better feel for pacing these out. It really is a fine line where any quicker and I get bogged down on the fly recovery phase and I am no longer "diving" into the water, but rather "belly flopping". If I start belly flopping, it's literally like losing 3-4 second at the end of the leg. If I keep "diving" in, then when I get to the free leg, I am immediately going faster at less effort. I guesstimate that the free is also 1 or more second faster.

On a positive note, as I have started running faster/harder my cardio from all this swimming is helping and the core work from dolphin kick and fly is also helpful for my running
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Anna s wrote:

It was ugly and I don't want to talk about it! If I swim 1hr at Roth this year it will be due to trying to nail this challenge!

Do you find 25/25 harder than 50/50 or easier. I THINK 25/25 is actually really good training for tri pack swimming in terms of managing yoyo intensity levels surging and sitting in. As a minimum, it would be good for bike crit racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK as part of today's 63 min swim, the main "set" was all 50/50.

400m 50 fly-50 free at "sprint tri intensity"
100m kick
400m 50/50 this time as hard as I felt like I could go and not slow down
100m kick
200m 50/50 "empty the tank"

Well the first one was slow. It was ~7:16
Second one when I went really hard was barely any better 7:13
Then the 200m 50/50 empty the tank was 3:27

Honestly I felt I should have been 20 seconds faster on the 400's and easily 10 seconds faster on the 200, BUT this morning I did a hard snow shoe workout and I think my abs/psoas/hip flexors were cooked as were my triceps since I was running with poles with my snowshoes. I felt all bunched up and uncoordinated for the entire swim today.

In any case, it was 1000m of doing 50/50. If I add all that moving time up it just gets me "sub 18 min" (there was 200m of kicking in there for "rest" but there was no rest at the wall). If I am fresh, can I do sub 18 for 1000m? I THINK so, but I have 2 more weeks to get in "shape" and "taper".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1400 yds on Wed. that I don't think I posted.
unplanned rest day yesterday - woke up with a headache so I took some ibuprofin and went back to bed.

12 mi run and 2700 yds today

5 x 100 on 1:30
10 x [100 fast on 1:30 + 100 easy on 2:00] avg 1:11 high
2 x 100 c/d kick the first one

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8.3 mi run 61:12, 1400 yd swim

1 x 300 on 4:30
2 x 200 on 3:00
3 x 100 on 1:30
1 x 400 with some of it kick

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
8.3 mi run 61:12, 1400 yd swim

1 x 300 on 4:30
2 x 200 on 3:00
3 x 100 on 1:30
1 x 400 with some of it kick

I went to the pool for a 4 pm swim today in the usual 4-7pm slot, but the changed the schedule due to March Break. Ended up lifting weights instead which was probably more needed anyway to mix it up. Back in the pool on Monday for sure. I may do an XC ski after going to the indoor running track tomorrow, or I will swim. Not sure which option at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun ocean swim this AM in calm, clear, but cool (60 deg) water. Swam to Seal Rock where I did a double-double swim through the crack and the elbow - both directions. The elbow can have a serious current in it, so you have to time it right to not get pushed into rocks. The Crack isn't so much current, but turbulence and crashing waves, and rocks in there, too, to avoid. Fairly calm today, but still a rush.

3658 yards in 41 minutes

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
""50m fly-50m free continuous swim (so basically 10x100m no rest, half fly hard half free recovery). ""

"ok that's an interesting idea.. I need to try that."
Second this -- I swam an easy 1000 once like this: 50 or 75 free with 50 or 25 fly/bk/br mixed in continuous.

Andrew Moss

Quote | Reply
I'm still laying off the running to heal the knee thing.

3300 this AM in the pool in 56 minutes
1000 13:00
4x250 kwf all strokes
10x50@1:00 as 25 scull & 25 alt br pull/fr pull
200 br 2:53
200 fr 2:19
4x100 ez as 25k/50s/25k various strokes

Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi run fartlek ... I did 3 x 1 mi @ 7:53, 7:46, 7:13 and some tenths @ 6:27

1800 yd swim

500 on 8:00 (7:10)
50 kick
100 fast 1:10
100 easy
50 kick
200 fast 2:29
200 easy
50 kick
50 c/d

flying home tonight :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4000 SCM this morning.
main set
7 x (
2 x 75 IM (no free)
2 x 50 kick
150 T pace)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2450 scy

A little less than an hour with liberal rest -- you could probably do it in 45 min(?) if you speed through it.

300 w/u swim/kick
4 x (200 and 4X50s) -- 50s sets: on :45, kick/pull alternate, IM order, ascending
450 as 6 x (50fr and 25 IM order) continuous.
100 w/d
Andrew Moss

Last edited by: apmoss: Mar 20, 17 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
8.5 mi run fartlek ... I did 3 x 1 mi @ 7:53, 7:46, 7:13 and some tenths @ 6:27

1800 yd swim

500 on 8:00 (7:10)
50 kick
100 fast 1:10
100 easy
50 kick
200 fast 2:29
200 easy
50 kick
50 c/d

flying home tonight :D

Hey, all those runs should be on the 100/100 thread. What's with all the run talk on this thread? You run the risk of being kicked out of your own thread with your flutterboard, paddles, goggles and flippers and being forced to put them up for sale on eBay!!!!

My last 2 days were big training days with lots of snowshoeing, running and XC skiing and a tough weight workout (I logged 19 hrs of training last week just for the heck of it and I am not even signed up for any events....I must just be addicted to training)....so today back in the pool.

I got a set of Medium size Speedo Power Paddles and only used them with the middle finger strap. Nice thing I can use them for all strokes. In fact fly is awesome with them. It's like getting infinite catch!!!

I got the large ones too, which are great for free. With the large ones it feels like my arms are anchoring into quicksand at the front of the catch vs anchoring in water...very little slip, but it is hard for me to do all strokes with them. Just free and breast. With the medium I can do all strokes and drills. During today's 2x400 50/50 fly free it was great to use the red ones and work on my glide phase and catch in both strokes. No wrist strap just middle finger. It was awesome. IF/WHEN I do a tri, I better be right at the front of my age group among the adult onset crew....ie right behind the ex college and high school swimmers. I am actually getting excited to do an Olympic tri because I think I can be reasonably competitive on the swim, which makes you competitive for the entire race (since I can already bike fast for my age group). So that leaves figuring out the run/shuffle. We'll see. Canadian Nationals are right here at home this summer, in 3 months so let's see if I can sort my body out for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mini's squad did 200m kick timed tonight. 4:13 in a negative split l... 209, 204

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Anna s wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Anna s wrote:

Do you find 25/25 harder than 50/50 or easier. I THINK 25/25 is actually really good training for tri pack swimming in terms of managing yoyo intensity levels surging and sitting in. As a minimum, it would be good for bike crit racing.

I find 25/25 easier, but Dev to be honest, it's just not easy either way!! I love/hate the challenge, but it has made me start swimming Butterfly again, which is what I wanted to do this year. By the end of the year I'd like to be able to swim a decent 100m fly.

After you have spent some time focused on fly, can you please do some bike TT's in the aero and comment to me the perceived exertion in terms of staying aero, when you would normally want to 'sit up'. I am curious to see if the additional aerobic conditioning of the hip flexors, core and lower back make aero riding feel easier. For me this appears to be the case, but there are other variables in play. I am not really doing much riding at all now so I can't explain "why" staying aero seems easier lately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you chaps seen theswimforum.palstani.com?

Useful advice for swimming development.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 SCM this morning with 8 x 250 main set. I've been wearing a swim cap this week as I have a masters meet this weekend and I figured I had better get used to it a bit. I still hate wearing them.
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only wear a cap in the pool if it's really windy cold, cold rain or hailing, and in competition. I always wear a cap in the ocean, often two - at 60 degrees or less, it helps keep the ice cream headaches away. Plus, the outer cap is a bright color for visibility.

This AM was in the pool:
500s
4x250 kwf all strokes
6x200 alt br/fr
3x100 s/k cool
2 minutes of water running

3000 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
day off yesterday; landed in Boston at 9 am and drove back to Maine

today
AM: 6 mi easy run
PM: 1500 yd swim

6 x 100 on 1:25
3 x [200 fast on 3:00 + 100 easy on 2:00] 2:24, 2:24, 2:23
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Hi Dev, just got home from my 4000scm today. I tried to focus on your challenge, needless to say I'm not there yet, but I made progress today. My biggest problem, as an asthmatic, is my weak cardiovascular system, which is one of the reasons I'm trying this.

500 crawl
500 pulling with paddles/buoy
500 crawl
Then I got a lane and didn't have to worry about hitting an old lady over the head doing fly!!
4x100 50/50 on 2min coming in around 1.40 - 1.43 (tried to work on pacing doing crawl really easy)
50 dolphin kick, 50 easy
4x100 50/50 on 2 min coming in around 1.40 - 1.43 - pleased with the pacing being the same as the first set, but have to admit I liked the rest.
500 pulling with paddles and buoy
100 easy

Breathing every stroke on the fly helped and taking the 50 freestyle really easy was good too. It's definately all about pacing, I find freestyle easier to swim slow. Diving more in the fly helped keep the pace down and thus easier to sustain. Fly is a real power stroke and swimming it fast is easier than slow - you have a better momentum, but it's harder to sustain this pace. Tomorrow, if the swimming conditions permit, I'll try sets of 200s. My initial goal (after of course just to survive this challenge!!) is 7mins, that gives me 1.45 for each 100. But I'm telling you now dev, I will never ever do this challenge with paddles.

Wow, well done. Sounds like you are on track for the sub 60 min in Roth (or if you don't you'll have so much leftover cardio on the bike that you'll have a pb bike split)

As part of a 4000m swim today, my main 2 sets were the following

5x200m "modified IM" 50 fly-25 back-25 breast-100 free leaving on 4 minutes

100m kick recovery

1x400m 50/50. TT mode

Time was 7:10.. I did not do this all out other than the final 100m but barely held 1:45 on that one. The rest were 1:45-1:50-1:50. I found on the fly if i drive my head "down" just before i dive in and keep the cadence as high as possible with the legs, I do better...and then when I transfer to free, I am also entering the water with more of a "one armed dive" if you know what I mean. I suppose if I do this in the first 1000m of my workout rather than right at the end of a 4K swim, I'd have more gas to break 7 minutes!

I should probably do some sets like you are doing on 2 minutes and focus on getting the times down for each 100m as I have the endurance to get through the 400m, I just don't have the speed...I can probably get some more time/distance out of my turns too. I find that if I focus on the legs and pull less with the arms, I have better endurance, or if I pull more and use the legs less I am OK too....but when I try to go hard with both, that's a problem. I think my cardio just can't supply enough oxygen if I go hard with both part of my body at the same time.

By the way, interesting thing....with all the dolphin kicking I have been doing underwater off every wall push off (I try to spend 1/3 of the pool underwater, so 8 m) on non "main set" lengths, I am finding my backstroke is going faster. Maybe "better kick" since the underwater dolphin kick used both sides of my body actively vs above water kick with a flutterboard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing better with the challenge this month. Swam four times last week and might hit five this week (3500-4500 yards with each swim). Today was distance day (all SCY):

500 - 6:55
20 x 25 on 0:25
500 - 6:50
10 x 50 on :45
500 - 6:45
5 x 100 on 1:25

Last night the main set was 8 rounds of
100 on 1:25 (came in at 1:16 or 1:17 for all)
75 kick/swim/kick
50 pull
...followed by
10 x 50 on :50
200 choice
10 x 50 on :45
200 IM
4 x 50 sprint on 1:00

At 22 weeks pregnant I'm about 5-10 seconds off my 100 base pace most days, so not terrible, but I can't keep up with my old lane mates. I also try to swim at the back of the lane so I don't feel pressured to lead or never take a break. Still, it's frustrating to be so slow - also frustrating to have to miss most of open water season (although I do plan to do a 1 mile race at 30 weeks). For the most part, though, I'm happy with my yardage right now.

I had to stop running because I had so much abdominal pain. Hopefully my swimming will benefit as a result. Goal for next year is a sub-20 minute 1500 SCM.
Quote Reply

Prev Next