Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kells wrote:
I've been doing better with the challenge this month. Swam four times last week and might hit five this week (3500-4500 yards with each swim). Today was distance day (all SCY):

500 - 6:55
20 x 25 on 0:25
500 - 6:50
10 x 50 on :45
500 - 6:45
5 x 100 on 1:25

Last night the main set was 8 rounds of
100 on 1:25 (came in at 1:16 or 1:17 for all)
75 kick/swim/kick
50 pull
...followed by
10 x 50 on :50
200 choice
10 x 50 on :45
200 IM
4 x 50 sprint on 1:00

At 22 weeks pregnant I'm about 5-10 seconds off my 100 base pace most days, so not terrible, but I can't keep up with my old lane mates. I also try to swim at the back of the lane so I don't feel pressured to lead or never take a break. Still, it's frustrating to be so slow - also frustrating to have to miss most of open water season (although I do plan to do a 1 mile race at 30 weeks). For the most part, though, I'm happy with my yardage right now.

I had to stop running because I had so much abdominal pain. Hopefully my swimming will benefit as a result. Goal for next year is a sub-20 minute 1500 SCM.

Wow, those are very impressive times swimming for "2" (I assume more drag) and delivering oxygen to "2"
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for saying that, Dev. I do have a tendency to get down on myself at practice. I'm such a quiet person that I haven't even told my swimming buddies I'm pregnant...they just think I'm slow and fat (which was confirmed the other day when someone asked me what was wrong with me!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kells wrote:
Thanks for saying that, Dev. I do have a tendency to get down on myself at practice. I'm such a quiet person that I haven't even told my swimming buddies I'm pregnant...they just think I'm slow and fat (which was confirmed the other day when someone asked me what was wrong with me!).

Tell your swim buddies (like you told us)....your slow is the "fantasy fast" for the rest of us. If we were delivering oxygen to two bodies, we'd be even slower than our already slow. I'd go swimming with my wife 21 years ago when she was 5 months pregnant. Good times! Our son will be 21 in August
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kells, you're doing great! don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi run w/ 4.2 mi @ 8:00, 2 x 1 mi @ 7:53, 7:47
2800 yd swim

500 (7:11)
100 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30
100 kick
6 x [100 fast on 1:30 + 100 easy on 2:00] held 1:12s
100 kick + 200 swim + 100 kick c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dusk Patrol swim #2 last night. I went because the weather peeps said we might have thunderstorms. I wanted to see that, even if it would keep me out of the water. The clouds were breaking up, but the wind was fierce and the swells were getting around 6 feet. Two of us braved that and it took us like 10 minutes to find each other once outside due to the swells and wind chop. Ray went for a short ways before turning back on what seemed to be a no progress attempt swimming against the wind, chop and swells. I forged on to Seal Rock (about 15 minutes of hard swimming) to witness the crashing swell completely obliterating it - awesome to see from close up and at water level. The return trip was amazing as it felt I was sliding down the face of the swells. The water temperature has been trending upwards and was 62-63ish. Got in 2500 difficult yards.

Dawn Patrol this AM had only Howard and I venturing out. Little wind, but bigger swells and high tide made just getting to our usual beach readying spot difficult. The current has shifted from southbound to northbound and it brought colder waters, maybe 58 to 60. Getting out was precarious as the swells were breaking on parts of the reef normally exposed with normal tide, but the combo high tide and big surf meant swim far away from the rocks and reef. We once again ventured down to Seal Rock and witnessed even more amazing swell crashes against the rock. On the return trip, during a breath, I spotted a huge wall of water with white froth along the top. Howard spotted it, too, and we both stopped with a moment of fear, but it passed us without incident. We made it back in one piece (two, actually, Howard and myself). 2365 yards.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I REALLY need to get back in the water.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean.. ocean?
This is where we swim out of - Shaw's Cove, Laguna Beach, Ca. I took this pic this morning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I mean water.

I've barely been swimming the last few months. I need to swim...

if spring ever comes, I'll get out running too. my waist is expanding too much.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Mar 23, 17 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't posted a workout here in forever but thought this was a good one today

500 wu

1 x 200
2 x 175
3 x 150
4 x 125
5 x 100
6 x 75
7 x 50
8 x 25 all free

This set was much easier on my mind than 15 x 200 but is still 3000

6 x 50 k br
100 cooldown

4100 m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I REALLY need to get back in the water.

I second that! Get on that plan!
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Wow, well done. Sounds like you are on track for the sub 60 min in Roth (or if you don't you'll have so much leftover cardio on the bike that you'll have a pb bike split)

I find that if I focus on the legs and pull less with the arms, I have better endurance, or if I pull more and use the legs less I am OK too....but when I try to go hard with both, that's a problem. I think my cardio just can't supply enough oxygen if I go hard with both part of my body at the same time.

By the way, interesting thing....with all the dolphin kicking I have been doing underwater off every wall push off (I try to spend 1/3 of the pool underwater, so 8 m) on non "main set" lengths, I am finding my backstroke is going faster. Maybe "better kick" since the underwater dolphin kick used both sides of my body actively vs above water kick with a flutterboard?

A bike pb would be good and that's my plan too. This year I want to get stronger on the bike and start the bike course feeling fresher - instead of feeling "I'm so glad the swim is finally over"!

Somehow Dev I'm glad you are noticing the oxygen deficit too, I just thought it was my lungs!!

Maybe your backstroke is faster because you have a stronger core and better position in the water making your kick more efficient.

I am thinking the backstroke improvement combines both of what you said. During the part of my swim where I do fins only, there are some days when I spend 10 minutes, where half the length is underwater dolphin and other half is kicking on my back with arms streamlined over my head. I actually have not been doing that much backstroke, but maybe this is carrying over. Interesting thing was when I ran intervals on the track last weekend, I did notice that my core was better at "staying together" rather than flopping around and swaying when I got tired at the end of some harder running intervals.

In any case I really can't tell what is faster for fly whether I pull harder or kick harder. They both feel equally fast or equally slow depending on how you want to view my slowness. For free, it's not even a toss up...pull harder with arms and swim faster. No amount of hard kicking can make up for soft stroking with the arms (at least for me). In fly I seem to be limited by cardio and if I go hard with upper and lower body at the same time, the cardio goes through the roof. I am hoping that when I get back to tri, all of this swim intensity will help the other sport. I just can't go this hard this often on the bike or run. I can on XC skis though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a modified version of your work out today....

16x25 @ 25
400 @ 5:25 or so on 6:00
8 x 50 @ 45
400 @ 5:25 or so on 6:00
4 x 100 @ 85

for 2000 scy

I liked the workout. Efficient, good and strength oriented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 mi run 60:49
1100 yd swim

would have liked to swim more but I slept half an hour later than intended.

500 swim 6:58
50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:25
50 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a short ocean swim this AM, in the dark. Short because the water has returned to RFC status - about 57 degrees. Just Howard and I went and Howard doesn't wear a wetsuit, so I suggested cutting it short to about a mile. I just wear a DeSoto T1 top. I came out with white feet and fingertips.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2000 SCM this morning, nothing too intense a few fast 25s. Masters meet tomorrow - 50 fly, 100 free, 50 and 100 breast.
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the heat sheet for 50 fly. You and Josh!

My NS record is 29.59. Josh will take that down, I'm sure. You gonna get it too? (even though you aren't NS)....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really know, my seed time was a bit of a guess. I've done 31-32 from a push (short course) at the end of a workout so rested from a dive I might be able to go 29.

I'd love to beat Josh but that seems highly unlikely unless I sabotage him somehow. :) I tried to make him nervous on FB but I don't think it worked!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

When I went the 29.5 LC, I think I was doing 30's and 31's at the end of practice (with recovery time built in). So you're right about there....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll see what happens, I was probably a bit optimistic with all my seed times. I probably wasn't thinking the SC -> LC thing through very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get a relatively big bump going from LC to SC, my underwater is usually pretty good. I even led against Josh at the 50 mark in the 100IM back in November all thanks to the turn, but then we switched to breast and it was all over for me.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His turns should be awesome since we spent so much time as kids training in a 20 yard pool! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 a few main sets lately (almost always do the same warmup of 300 easy and 8x50 drill anyway). covers most key swim workouts from Feb and March.

all SCY

1 (moderate):
800 smooth (9:36)
4x100 IM on 1:35
5x200 pull w/paddles and buoy on 2:35 (2:11-11-10-09-09)

2 (speed work):
4x [100 fast, 50 easy] - 1:00, 59.0, 59.1, 58.3
2x [50 fast, 50 easy) - 28.2, 27.7

3 (threshold work):
5x100 pull w/band only - hold 1:14 on 1:25
4x500 descend on 6:45 - 6:04, 5:59, 5:49, 5:43

4 (faster, super threshold work):
5x100 pull w/band only
5x200 descend on 2:50 - 2:18-16-14-11-08

5 (toys):
4x [400 hard pull w/paddles and buoy, 100 kick no board]
400's were 4:21-20-19-16