Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spirit of the Radio
Red Barchetta

Mo bedda.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wont get fooled again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater.

Carter Beauford from Matthews.

People already said Neil.

JB has first-in vigorish, but he's not in the top 5 for me (a technically-trained jazz and rock teacher and performer).

Names that should never be mentioned in this list but frequently are: Lars and Ringo. They both blow chunks, and chunks isn't even that cute.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
wont get fooled again

The Who sucks.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater.

Meh. No soul. Even less soul than Peart.

Quote:
Carter Beauford from Matthews.
Blow me.

Quote:
And we've all agreed that he has no soul.

Quote:
Names that should never be mentioned in this list but frequently are: Lars and Ringo. They both blow chunks, and chunks isn't even that cute.
Agree.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ticks and Leeches by Tool..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RelR85j09XY

Lots of great drumming across various albums....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Quote:

And we've all agreed that he has no soul.

The thing I like about him is the technical aspect and he is a total percussionist. He can play anything in the family and often incorporates them all in his solos. While Bonham probably was as well it just wasn't part of their music as it is part of Rush's.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have nothing against Peart and recognize that he's an extremely good drummer. I just think Bonham works better in a band situation than Peart.

It's like Rush, because they only have 3 members, has little dick complex so they felt they had make a huge sound. Whereas another 3 piece band (with huge cocks), The Police, embraced their numbers and made minimalist music (with another great drummer, Stewart Copeland).

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I have nothing against Peart and recognize that he's an extremely good drummer. I just think Bonham works better in a band situation than Peart.

It's like Rush, because they only have 3 members, has little dick complex so they felt they had make a huge sound. Whereas another 3 piece band (with huge cocks), The Police, embraced their numbers and made minimalist music (with another great drummer, Stewart Copeland).

I didn't take it as a criticism of Peart's work and understand your liking of Bonham and don't disagree. I do believe there is a lot of soul in Bonham's work and lack of it in Peart's. You have more than effectively stated your position of Peart's ability, I was only stating I really enjoy the technical aspects of his work, similar to watching a drumline stick work.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was only stating I really enjoy the technical aspects of his work

I do to, and air drum every time I listen to Rush.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
I was only stating I really enjoy the technical aspects of his work

I do to, and air drum every time I listen to Rush.

I'm one hell of a steering wheel drummer.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Duffy wrote:
...was done in 1969, gong and all.

The Lemon Song...

Put your headphones on, crank it up loud and listen to the drums....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyhu2ysqKGk

Tools Danny Carey has been mentioned but specifically "Ticks and Leaches"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RelR85j09XY

If you search for any of the covers you'll actually see just how technical and challenging the drumming is.

Tool has so many complex layers to their songs but yeah, their drummer is soooooo good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are times where I can't listen to the originals on Led Zeppelin. Like the album version of Kashmir for instance. How they recorded it annoys me, I think they used spacial expansion on the drum track, and it sounds bad to me. Just my opinion.

With that, I love Jason Bonham's version of Kashmir on Celebration Day. He plays this quite well, there is a lot of expression, and synergy as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD-MdiUm1_Y

Even on YouTube the recording quality and the feel comes through. He plays it differently, and uses two different splash cymbals which gives a nice feel. If I remember correctly, his father only used one splash in this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm resurrecting this thread to recommend a documentary I just watched on Netflix: Beware Mr. Baker.

I haven't reviewed this thread to see if Ginger Baker was mentioned. I wasn't a fan of the artwork/animation in the beginning of the show but stuck with it and ended up giving it five stars. Just a fascinating story about a man. Compelling story on its own, but a must watch for any fan of drummers. (Calling BarryP)

Listening to some The Cream right now. I'm not someone who normally notices the drumming (I'm a guitar guy), but I paying attention now, I have new found appreciation for Ginger Baker.

On a technical note, for the two cream songs I listened to Sunshine of your Love and Tales of Great Ulysses, I was not pleased with the recordings (Clapton CD compilation). Drum track is only in left channel and guitar in right. That diminishes drums, at least in with my set-up. Put in CD of Lemon Song and it was better as drums were in both tracks (more left I think).

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like "Blackened" . Even though its mainly bass and snare , Lars kills it. Imo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Peart also wrote the vast majority of the lyrics to Rush songs, including all of the mythological stuff from the 70s, so the guy is definitely creative.

Love both Peart and Copeland - for the reasons mentioned above. Peart - supreme technician, plays frickin' ever percussion instrument ever invented, foundation of the "wall" of sound that Rush creates (some like that, some don't). Copeland - much more jazzy, funky, cool, whatever...but also a good technician. And he writes some decent lyrics, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [MikeH in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both Peart and Copeland (and others) make brief appearances commenting on Ginger Baker in the documentary I referenced a couple of posts above. Peart refers to Baker as his inspiration when he was 14.

Fans of Bonham and Moon, probably wouldn't appreciate Baker's view of them, nor Clapton's.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Don't forget to strap on the headphones and listen to some Tool drumming sometime.

Comparing the greatest drummers is like comparing the top craft beers from multiple styles and trying to name a winner. I don't know how I'd describe Carey's style, beyond the overall music genre, but I'd put him in the top tier with Bonzo, Moon, Ringo, et. al. The guy is just a flat out percussion genius.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Agree classic.

Out of the comfort zone, do not remember Boulder Theater next to Pearl St. Mall - Billy Cobham 20 minute Solo mind blowing, or my mind was already blown.

Muse, saw them last year in Germany, the Drummer crushed it.

Seeing Muse in Mountain View in September. Can't wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
Damn strait. And x2 on the LOUD. All LZ should be cranked. I have been a headphones guy since the bean bag era. I will also vote for zep's Rock and Roll. That song is just tight, every instrument, every riff, right where it's supposed to be.

I agree, and yet I don't think I've ever heard live Zeppelin where they didn't sound like absolute shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an outstanding documentary. I found it amusing how ginger had contempt for bozo when people mentioned him as a quality drummer.

Tales of brave Ulysses is great. I once dropped acid along the mighty Columbia. I spent a good portion of the evening wading in the river eating sea grass with tales of brave Ulysses playing in my head. Great song.

H- wrote:
I'm resurrecting this thread to recommend a documentary I just watched on Netflix: Beware Mr. Baker.

I haven't reviewed this thread to see if Ginger Baker was mentioned. I wasn't a fan of the artwork/animation in the beginning of the show but stuck with it and ended up giving it five stars. Just a fascinating story about a man. Compelling story on its own, but a must watch for any fan of drummers. (Calling BarryP)

Listening to some The Cream right now. I'm not someone who normally notices the drumming (I'm a guitar guy), but I paying attention now, I have new found appreciation for Ginger Baker.

On a technical note, for the two cream songs I listened to Sunshine of your Love and Tales of Great Ulysses, I was not pleased with the recordings (Clapton CD compilation). Drum track is only in left channel and guitar in right. That diminishes drums, at least in with my set-up. Put in CD of Lemon Song and it was better as drums were in both tracks (more left I think).
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [kevinbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A drummer that doesn't get the respect he should is Bill Ward of Black Sabbath. Look up Gypsy on the Youtubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only made it 20 posts in, then found this. Totally distracting.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Best Rock and Roll Drum Track Ever Laid Down... [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny, I just made a mental note of that guy's skills. I've been listening to Ozzie's Boneyard a lot lately.

Quote | Reply
Still love to listen and watch Joe Morello

Quote Reply

Prev Next