Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 106 West Tri [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome pics and info, Steve. This race looks absolutely epic. I almost wish I didn't even know about it because the timing this year is just not right for me. But this is the kind of course that I can only hope is a game changer in the CO triathlon scene. There are only so many times we can lap the Res in Boulder....
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [GLindy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GLindy wrote:
Awesome pics and info, Steve. This race looks absolutely epic. I almost wish I didn't even know about it because the timing this year is just not right for me. But this is the kind of course that I can only hope is a game changer in the CO triathlon scene. There are only so many times we can lap the Res in Boulder....

Amen to that. The 106 West course could use a little more imagination with the double out-and-back as the current setup, but I imagine the permits would be hard to come by to do something else like loop around Lake Dillon via Swan Mountain Rd.

But this will certainly do...I'm not complaining!

Quote | Reply
I was cruising the interwebs last night and found a 20% off code for this race. Code: 106TRI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
I rode most of the bike course this morning and this race certainly won't lack scenery nor challenge. The road up to Montezuma is no joke. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. Should be a really fun - and hard - event!

This one isn't from the race course, but still!

When you rode the course did you ride out of Dillon on Hwy 6 or the bike path? I'm planning to ride it tomorrow and trying the ascertain the safety of 6...
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [sbrrepeat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode the path. Wanted a little more peace and quiet than dealing with the traffic, etc.

Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
I rode the path. Wanted a little more peace and quiet than dealing with the traffic, etc.

Great, thanks! Does the path take you right to Motezuma Road?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It takes you up through the Keystone parking lot and I stopped at a stop sign just passed that and took out my phone to see exactly where I was...had to take a right and go maybe a 1/4 mile to Montezuma Rd.

Quote | Reply
There's a handful of nice nice paths that take you around the rez. Some of them go near montezuma.

I rode a bit of the course and indecently during Triple Bypass last weekend, some really pretty scenery in general although the course itself isn't exactly the best riding in that area.

The water in Dillion reservoir looked cold and judging by the cold breeze coming off I'm pretty sure it more than looks it.
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran the approximate course today. The portion on the bike path was meh but the dirt reservoir road was fantastic. I didn't start where T2 will be but I think the 700' per 6.5 mile loop is pretty accurate.There was quite a chop in the lake today and a wind that would make the entire day rather challenging. I took some photos but can't seem to post them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode parts of the course today. A few additions to DarkHorse's course report: in his second photo, there now is a giant illuminated sign just past the "Share the Road" sign flashing "DANGER: Aggressive bears next 6 miles".

The road condition going up Montezuma is pretty good but you'll want to be careful on the descent. The first mile or so has some substantial holes, some of which were in shadows, as well as some swells that could launch you if you're not paying attention. Then the road turns smooth for a while before there are horizontal cracks in the road which mostly just provide for an annoying clunk-clunk clunk-clunk for a mile or so.

I can't comment on the Hwy. 6 portion as I road the bike path from Dillon.

Again today there was a strong wind and white caps in the lake. I'm not sure if that is typical or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the 2Ă— long ascent and first portion of the descent that have me contemplating road bike with clip ons.

Quote | Reply
Just a bit over 3 weeks out now, took another look at the bike video to mull over bike selection again. I'm somewhat torn. I'm sure TT will be faster despite the fact that I've ridden my TT bike once this entire year so far, but the road surface on the first part of that descent does look pretty craptastic. Guess will have to take it easy no matter what bike you're on but my P4 is a deathtrap on most everything but flats so that is giving me some pause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just made the decision to go with my road bike. Two big factors ... I don't have a compact crank on my Slice (living at 1000' translates to need lots of gears) and 40/56 miles are either straight up the hill or straight down the hill ... the TT bike gives me no advantage on either.

So for the few miles that are flat I will give up 2 mph to hopefully make some of that up on either the climb or being fresher (whatever that means in this race) for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [Igoslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just called the Dillon Marina. The water temperature is currently 44 degrees. That is not a typo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really hope that is deep water and not surface temp ... if so me thinks this race is going to have a shortened or non-swim (St. George 3 years ago ....)

Yikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Igoslow wrote:
I really hope that is deep water and not surface temp ... if so me thinks this race is going to have a shortened or non-swim (St. George 3 years ago ....)

Yikes

She told me it was surface, accurate within 4 degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna be FUN ... or something .... methinks my booties and hat are not going to be sufficient!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Igoslow wrote:
Gonna be FUN ... or something .... methinks my booties and hat are not going to be sufficient!

From the 106W website: "The average water temperatures will range from 61 to 64 degrees Fahrenheit". 61F is cold but do-able. 44F is not, especially for thin athletes.

The lady at the marina's response to the claim of 61-64F was "no way".

Alcatraz is what, mid 50s? With how many cases of hypothermia (or worse)?

Edited to answer my own question:
In all, rescuers pulled about 150 swimmers from the swim portion of the race, more than three times the normal number, Burke said. Water temperatures were about 51 degrees, air temperatures hovered in the mid-50s and 11-mph winds made the air feel closer to the mid-40s.
Normally, when the race is held in June, the bay is anywhere from 54 to 60 degrees, and air temperatures can be in the 70s or higher.
Last edited by: sbrrepeat: Aug 26, 16 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I have done Silverman at 63F and it was COLD... and I am not thin. Straight up .... I won't be going in the water if it is that cold ... I suspect this will be a du before all is said and done.
On the other hand, it is going to be a fun day regardless. Seriously looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someone please tell me the swim will be cancelled if it's 44 degrees. that sounds like an absolute nightmare
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for being combatitive. But come on guys. Any excuse to cancel the swim eh.....

Firstly, the water is not 44. 50 or warmer is more likely. (Ok- maybe in shallow water, in a sheltered spot, on the coldest recent morning. But the whole race is not going to be in that one spot).

Secondly, 50 degree water is not cold IF: 1) you are swimming hard
And
2) you are wearing a wetsuit.

I am the least cold tolerant person I know. But I could do the race in 50 degree water without a wetsuit. I would be cold. But I wouldn't be in the water that long. And my exertion would keep me warm enough.
And with a wetsuit I could probably float around for an hour or more with getting hypothermia.

Thirdly, it's a mountain RACE. You shouldn't enter such a thing if you want a warm water float.

Fourthly, being cold on the bike is a much more legitimate concern. Being wet and traveling 50 mph downhill, in 38 degree weather, does concern me.
But they won't cancel the bike....
They probably expect me to be prepared.
Why treat the swim differently?
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankly...I'm just nervous for my diet half distance. I'm coming in in slightly less shape than I had intended. Anything to make it more difficult isn't welcomed at this point. I guess I'd actually be more concerned with it being choppy than cold
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
Sorry for being combatitive. But come on guys. Any excuse to cancel the swim eh.....

Firstly, the water is not 44. 50 or warmer is more likely. (Ok- maybe in shallow water, in a sheltered spot, on the coldest recent morning. But the whole race is not going to be in that one spot).

Secondly, 50 degree water is not cold IF: 1) you are swimming hard
And
2) you are wearing a wetsuit.

I am the least cold tolerant person I know. But I could do the race in 50 degree water without a wetsuit. I would be cold. But I wouldn't be in the water that long. And my exertion would keep me warm enough.
And with a wetsuit I could probably float around for an hour or more with getting hypothermia.

Thirdly, it's a mountain RACE. You shouldn't enter such a thing if you want a warm water float.

Fourthly, being cold on the bike is a much more legitimate concern. Being wet and traveling 50 mph downhill, in 38 degree weather, does concern me.
But they won't cancel the bike....
They probably expect me to be prepared.
Why treat the swim differently?

dirtymangos,

Firstly, I personally do not wish for excuses to cancel the swim. It is my best -- and favorite -- discipline.

I do not know your link to the actual water temperature. The person I spoke to was on site at the Dillon Marina where the race will start. If you have a more accurate, legit source of information that contradicts the marina, please share.

I am glad you are confident in your ability to swim in 50 degree water. Do you have actual experience swimming in those water temperatures or is your scenario based on hypotheticals?

Not everyone who signed up for the event based on the information provided by the race director (61-64 degree water temps which hardly qualifies as a "warm water float") has such experience or desire to test the limits of their body in 44 degree waters. There is no way for everyone to "prepare" for such a swim as you suggest. And yes, getting out of the cold water into cold air and getting on the bike with wet clothes and hair is problematic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are any of you guys in Colorado or actually ask someone who is about the weather? We've had 2 cold fronts that have come through in the last week or so, a pretty substantial one just in the past few days. The weather has been abnormally cold for this time of year the last 2 weeks and water temperatures have plunged. The race still being a few weeks away no guarantees can be made about the weather but it looks to be returning to a more seasonal (warmer) pattern during which time I would expect water temps to increase at least some.

Since one of you guys was talking about the year Alcatraz was in the beginning of March and not the middle of the summer, I did that race. The water was damn cold and I didn't fully regain feeling in my feet until a half mile or so into the run. But it was doable. That was 50-51 though, I can't see anyone holding a non-shortened swim in temps lower than 50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this past week we have had a lot of moisture here. The days have been around 60 degrees and the nights in the low to mid 30's. It looks the temperatures are going to stay in the 60's for the daytime and low 40's for at least the next week. These are typical temps for this time of the year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next