Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 106 West Tri [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hee hee ... you won't be the only Okie there ...
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [Igoslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Looking forward to it. Should be quite an adventure.
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woohoo!!! officially signed up for my first 70.3 :)
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [lilteichmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me Too!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [jpicune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
should be fun. definitely putting Tri the Boat olympic on the calendar to get a taste of racing at altitude
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [lilteichmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in...looking forward to a new and fun race experience!

Quote | Reply
I'm in - looks like an awesome event

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in along with a bunch of the CU team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We recently posted a virtual ride of the bike course... https://www.youtube.com/...QVM53BM#action=share or http://106westtri.com/course-maps/

Thanks for sharing the excitement for this event. It took us just shy of nine years to get this permit approved, but it will be worth the wait.

Re: water temps...I grew up on Lake Michigan so to me Lake Dillon feels like a pool swim. The water is super fresh, clean and the views are tough to beat. I'm (a lot) biased because I think the race really adds a lot of character to triathlon and racing. I get that it's not for everyone, but it wasn't designed that way.

Jeff Suffolk
humanmovement.com
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [jeffsuffolk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeff, looks cool but no usat sanction or mention. why not, some of us do want to qualify for nats, get ranked and support you. thanks. alex
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [Afleet Alex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Alex, it is definitely going to be sanctioned with USAT. I'm not sure why their logo's aren't posted yet, but I'm sure they will be soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff Suffolk
humanmovement.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing the excitement for this event. It took us just shy of nine years to get this permit approved, but it will be worth the wait.

Jeff,

This hints a bit at what goes on behind the scenes with organizing endurance sports events. It's NEVER as easy or quick as people(participants) think it is from their side of things.

Kudos to you and your team for your hard work and persistence in making this happen.

Best wishes with this bold new event.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 1, 15 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very excited for this event. Enjoyed the virtual bike.
Thanks for putting all the effort into making this happening.
Hope it's a successful first year event for y'all.
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [armadilloCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode most of the bike course this morning and this race certainly won't lack scenery nor challenge. The road up to Montezuma is no joke. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. Should be a really fun - and hard - event!

This one isn't from the race course, but still!

Last edited by: darkhorsetri: Jun 20, 16 16:22
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of my favorite parts of CO. I really want to do the half but IM Chatt is only a couple weeks later. The quarter distance could be an option though. Convince the wife to head out a week early for vacation aka acclimatization.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
I rode most of the bike course this morning and this race certainly won't lack scenery nor challenge. The road up to Montezuma is no joke. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. Should be a really fun - and hard - event!

Thanks for the report. What were the grades like? What front range ride would you compare it to?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 106 West Tri [sbrrepeat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sbrrepeat wrote:
darkhorsetri wrote:

Thanks for the report. What were the grades like? What front range ride would you compare it to?

Thanks!

I'd say it most closely resembles the climb from 36 to Jamestown...but a couple thousand feet higher! The stretch from Keystone to Montezuma was the hardest part of the climb IMO.

Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
sbrrepeat wrote:
darkhorsetri wrote:

Thanks!

I'd say it most closely resembles the climb from 36 to Jamestown...but a couple thousand feet higher! The stretch from Keystone to Montezuma was the hardest part of the climb IMO.

Thanks. Lefthand Canyon to the P2P is one of my favorite rides.

One more question: is the 2,219' elevation gain per 28 mile loop or is it 2,219' total for the 56 miles? Their website is confusing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total for the 56. It's about 1000 feet from Dillon up to Montezuma.

Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
Total for the 56. It's about 1000 feet from Dillon up to Montezuma.

That is what I thought and what their profile seemed to indicate, but I asked the same question of them and received this response:

"it is a 2 loop course, 28 miles each loop, so the elevation gain of 2219 is for one loop. 4438 in total.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the training - See you in September "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I created a route on Strava as best I could with the description of the course from their website and got ~3,800' for the 70.3. So I'm thinking their 4438' is probably right after all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up over the weekend with the Father's Day discount code. Why do I keep picking races with cold swims? Should be a fun race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea how anyone can get anything over say, 2600 feet of elevation gain for the 70.3. Dillon sits at about 9100 feet and Montezuma is at about 10200 feet, depending on where you're measuring from. The ~12-mile climb from Dillon to Montezuma is almost all straight up, without any descending...and the part along the dam in Dillon is completely flat. I don't know how these elevation gain profiles are computed, but it seems to me that you'd be hard pressed to get anything over 1300 feet of gain per lap of the 70.3. Maybe someone can fill me in b/c the elevation gains that some of these software programs are generating seem awfully generous, IMO.

Regardless of the net elevation gain, it'll be a slog to the top of the course, especially the last mile - which kicks up pretty good.

It's gonna be awesome!

Quote | Reply
When I look at a map I come to the same conclusion as you which is why I can't figure out the discrepancy. Do you have a GPS file from your ride?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the far end of the dam up to Montezuma, my file from the other day has ~1200 feet of elevation gain.

Prev Next