Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Scott - I look forward to meeting you in Huntsville.

For the swim start - if you want to warm up you can - you will have to go to the back of the line. If you want to make your way through the line to your goal time staging area you can. We plan to have the swim corral marked with swim times so you should be swimming with similar speed athletes.

As for the special needs bags - the pick up area for the special needs on the run is very near the finish line. You will be able to get that bag back with your number bib/bracelet. As for Red Bull - I suggest that if you have special needs then you place it in the special needs bags:)

Lastly - you are correct - shoes can be clipped on your bike race morning. All athletes are required to pass through the change area inside Deerhurst Resort after the swim and the bike.

The athlete meeting Friday night will go through all of this - hope to see you attend.

Greg Nicol
Race Announcer

World Endurance Canada Inc.
Vineland Station, ON
info@trisportcanada.com
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [SubaruTriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SubaruTriathlon wrote:
Hi Unkinny - the Gatorade that will be available on the course is just the normal Gatorade that is available in Canada. On the bike the Gatorade will be orange flavour in sport bottles. On the run course it will be lemon lime in cups at aid stations.

Enjoy your day - you will be an Ironman!

Greg Nicol
Race Announcer

Greg, one thing that was really nice at Wildflower was they had a few run aid station with full bottles of Gatorade just like the bike bottles. You grabbed a bottle at the aid station and spent the next mile or two running with it and you actually got a full bottle into your system and dumped the empty bottle (or half empty) at the . This is a suggestion that I have been meaning to ask the folks at WTC to implement. I think it would be very well received by athletes. We don't need every run aid station to be that way, but a few spaced apart would be very nice and we'd actually top up properly vs the < 1 ounce that actually gets into your body from the cups.

What is the chance of that?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [SubaruTriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg, looking forward to the race. I've done the Muskoka 70.3 a few times and it remains my favorite half iron distance race despite it kicking my a$& every time.

Definitely glad to hear about the bike shoes, swim warm up and run special needs bags. I'll put an energy drink in my run transition bag as well as my run special needs bag so the lack of Red Bull on the run is no biggie. I do my long runs hand carrying a bottle so I'm used to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [trimuskoka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I did a loop of the bike course yesterday and took the Brunel Road detour. There is a sharp right curve on what I think it is the Bonnie Lake Rd. which is marked with a 20 km maximum speed warning.
OBEY IT!!!
Despite how great you may be taking mountain style hair pin turns it will be the sand dune that is right on the inside of that corner on the pavement that will get you. Darn near took me out. My wife too. Great road though with some epic climbs. Bring extra fluids from Baysville as we filled up three bottles there and were short to make it to the next water source.

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming" Finding Nemo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Greg, looking forward to the race. I've done the Muskoka 70.3 a few times and it remains my favorite half iron distance race despite it kicking my a$& every time.

Definitely glad to hear about the bike shoes, swim warm up and run special needs bags. I'll put an energy drink in my run transition bag as well as my run special needs bag so the lack of Red Bull on the run is no biggie. I do my long runs hand carrying a bottle so I'm used to it.

And here we thought you were doing all your long runs on a Elliptical and were planning to do the IM Muskoka run on an elliptical at the Deerhurst resort complete with a Red Bull IV drip and now you public admit to doing real running in training with plans to do that on race day?

Did you not check the elliptical+redbull option box on active.com that IM Cowboy checked off to get the AWA Elliptical option? or do you have to be super duper AWA Iridium level to get that option? I figure with all my racing, I could check that box off, but they did not even offer it to me with my zillion WTC events per year when I signed up for Whistler. Maybe I need to get on the full IM Cowboy program to get the Elliptical with Redbull IV check box.

Oh well!
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim goggles - does any one know if tinted goggles are required or will plain be fine?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the details on how the rolling start will be separated? Will it be by age group (similar to the 70.3?)
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [m2447] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m2447 wrote:
Does anyone know the details on how the rolling start will be separated? Will it be by age group (similar to the 70.3?)

No will not be by age group. You end up seeding yourself based on your estimated time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
m2447 wrote:

No will not be by age group. You end up seeding yourself based on your estimated time.

Crap, I was thinking it was a mass start. That's a bummer. I have an athlete looking to KQ, and another local female that's on he bubble. I'll make sure both of their spouses know how to access irontracker and give them updates.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [trimuskoka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a follow up. I rode the course yesterday and the construction is still underway for a couple km past Baysville but progress looks good. They are packing sub base and it was no issue to ride those few km through to stay on the route. The bridge they were repairing was getting paved on my second loop. All should be good soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [jhsandchs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you find Seabreeze?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
How did you find Seabreeze?

Seabreeze is actually a welcome break. It's flat, I know it's hard to believe in muskoka but it's nice to just cruise for a few minutes without having another hill in your face. Road condition is a secondary /cottage road but good overall. Sheltered from the wind too which was nice. The second loop yesterday produced some pretty large headwinds on 117.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your total distance?

jhsandchs wrote:
Just a follow up. I rode the course yesterday and the construction is still underway for a couple km past Baysville but progress looks good. They are packing sub base and it was no issue to ride those few km through to stay on the route. The bridge they were repairing was getting paved on my second loop. All should be good soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:

jhsandchs wrote:

180.5k. I didn't see any turn around marked on Seabreeze so I went to a bridge over a nice Creek right where the road changed from good to not so good. Obviously I went slightly too far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the expected water temp? I'm assuming definitely wetsuit, but wondering how cold..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jhsandchs wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

jhsandchs wrote:

180.5k. I didn't see any turn around marked on Seabreeze so I went to a bridge over a nice Creek right where the road changed from good to not so good. Obviously I went slightly too far.

Just curious, what intensity did you do this ride?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by davetallo [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev

did you ride a disk ?

i have a disk cover for my flo 90 so not the lightest and wondering on wheel selection

thank you !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the Gatorade thing, anyone know the bottle volumes handed out on the bike course and the carb/ sodium content? The local grocery store has a couple of different volumes and nutrition contents. I know its not the high test GEF. I didn't see in the Athletes Guide or the Q&A any details as to the nutritional content of whats handed out. I'm trying to work out a plan for the bike and run. Thanks!

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming" Finding Nemo
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [1460] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1460 wrote:
On the Gatorade thing, anyone know the bottle volumes handed out on the bike course and the carb/ sodium content? The local grocery store has a couple of different volumes and nutrition contents. I know its not the high test GEF. I didn't see in the Athletes Guide or the Q&A any details as to the nutritional content of whats handed out. I'm trying to work out a plan for the bike and run. Thanks!

Bottle size 710 mL
Sodium 330mg
Potassium 90 mg
Calories 170

If you add one 200 mg salt tab, you end up back to where Gatorade EF is (more or less).
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Dev

did you ride a disk ?

i have a disk cover for my flo 90 so not the lightest and wondering on wheel selection

thank you !

You should be fine with a disk. If I had one, I would ride it. I have dual front and back Bonetrager Aeolus 70's.Unless the yaw angle gets large it's pretty close to a disk and on the Muskoka course there generally should not be a ton of cross winds since you are looping around a lake and often between trees etc. But yes, disk would be fastest. I am actually thinking about getting a Flo disk wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disk cover? It's a pretty cheap option :) That said, can't for wrong with the price of FLO wheels. All that said, FLO quotes the difference between a disc and say flow 60 as about 3 minutes, if you half that because it's shielded by the bike we're talking about 1.5 minutes? http://www.flocycling.com/aero.php

devashish_paul wrote:
UKINNY wrote:
Dev

did you ride a disk ?

thank you !

You should be fine with a disk. If I had one, I would ride it. I have dual front and back Bonetrager Aeolus 70's.Unless the yaw angle gets large it's pretty close to a disk and on the Muskoka course there generally should not be a ton of cross winds since you are looping around a lake and often between trees etc. But yes, disk would be fastest. I am actually thinking about getting a Flo disk wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am leaning towards the Flo Disc since the Bonetrager I have is 10 speed and it is a PITA to upgrade to 11 speed without major surgery. I am just running it with 10 cogs and 10 spacers and adjusting the derailleur to take away the 11th click. At $599 for the 11 speed Flo Disk seems like an easy option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could probably sell the old wheel for close to a new disc :)

devashish_paul wrote:
I am leaning towards the Flo Disc since the Bonetrager I have is 10 speed and it is a PITA to upgrade to 11 speed without major surgery. I am just running it with 10 cogs and 10 spacers and adjusting the derailleur to take away the 11th click. At $599 for the 11 speed Flo Disk seems like an easy option.
Quote Reply

Prev Next