Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eeek, my bad, I had no idea. I was looking forward to seeing some local Pros on the course. Oh well, just us amateur's then...

cl60guy wrote:
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what the Pro's put down in terms of bike split. That said, we all have to ride the same course :)

My guess is no pros make the cutoff...but that's because its an amateur-only race, no professional field ;)

My guess is only 1 or 2 crack 5 hrs.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I may , what do you weigh ?

Many thx
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
160-162lbs.

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A buddy and I rode the course yesterday... Some roads were in bad shape... Once you turn right at the LCBO in Baysville, the road is under some serious construction... They are packing down sandy material and your bike just wants to sink into it... Seeing that this is the beginning of the hardest part of the bike course... It sucked big time. Apart from that I spoke with the construction crew, they said they'll be paved in a week or 2.
The course is definitely harder than Ironman Tremblant. I have done the Muskoka 70.3 twice and I have done the 140.6 Tremblant Once. Muskoka is way harder, and doing it yesterday in the heat was killer!
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [trimuskoka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, was wondering... For the bike course, we do the lollipop 2 times (seabreeze the first loop only)... Do we do the stick 2 times as well (heading back to the start/finish line)? If not, will our bags be at the bottom of the hill at South Portage Road and North Portage Road? Thanks :)
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [marciomrqz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like you do the stick 1x but is it certain we skip Seabreeze on the 2nd loop? The course map shows an aid station at the turnaround of Seabreeze Rd. so it would be strange to skip an aid station 2nd lap.

Also, is the water expected to wetsuit legal?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [swbkrnchiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skip Seabreeze on second loop, and only do the lolly pop stick once. In terms of an aid station, they will probably move out of seabreeze to the side of the road, this will also ensure no one accidently does Seabreeze twice.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev or others,

Quick question, is it easier to get a car at Toronto international or just take a bus?

We will be looking at a quick and dirty trip, if we take the bus then I don't mind paying a bit more for some accom close to race site (if we can find a cancelation)

The issue with the car is that I don't really feel like an 8 hour flight and then having to deal with Toronto rush hour for 4 plus hours, maybe just preferring to sleep on the bus/shuttle.

Looks like if we avoid rush hour we could get from the airport to Huntsville in about 2.5 hours?

Just looking for input,

Thanks,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Hey Dev or others,

Quick question, is it easier to get a car at Toronto international or just take a bus?

We will be looking at a quick and dirty trip, if we take the bus then I don't mind paying a bit more for some accom close to race site (if we can find a cancelation)

The issue with the car is that I don't really feel like an 8 hour flight and then having to deal with Toronto rush hour for 4 plus hours, maybe just preferring to sleep on the bus/shuttle.

Looks like if we avoid rush hour we could get from the airport to Huntsville in about 2.5 hours?

Just looking for input,

Thanks,
Maurice

I think your best option is avoid Toronto rush hour. Alternatively, fly to Ottawa and it is 3.5 hours to race site, but I don't think there are direct flights from your town to Ottawa but there likely are to Toronto. If you have to connect, then Ottawa is fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [marciomrqz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea on percentage grade/slope for the bike; on average and/or the steepest sections?

Thanks!
Last edited by: patriksartz: Jul 30, 15 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [patriksartz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patriksartz wrote:
Any idea on percentage grade/slope for the bike; on average and/or the steepest sections?

Thanks!

Here is my Garmin Connect File from the Muskoka 70.3:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/824862864

You can go into the file and pull out the relevant data you want. There are a lot of grades between 6-12% but they are all short. It's just that they are endless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul, if you don't mind me asking how much do you weigh? If the IM corrects the distance and the course truly is 112 then your 225np would have resulted in a 5:10-ish split. Not too shabby for an 8k elevation gain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swbkrnchiro wrote:
Paul, if you don't mind me asking how much do you weigh? If the IM corrects the distance and the course truly is 112 then your 225np would have resulted in a 5:10-ish split. Not too shabby for an 8k elevation gain.

You averaged 34.8km/hr on the course? How is that even humanly possible? LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swbkrnchiro wrote:

I weighed 138 lbs for the 70.3 so rode at 3.6W per kilo NP....certainly could not sustain that for an IM. I would go at around 3W per kilo or so for the full IM it would be much slower. I think this would translate into more like 5:30 to 5:40 for the full IM depending on wind? I don't recall a lot of wind for the 70.3 (then again, i never race with kph, so I never see my speed), and loop 2 always has more wind than loop 1 on every course. For example at Tremblant IM, my time tends to be 2x + 20-25 min of my half IM time based on scaling down my power by around 0.85 for double the duration. Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to let all of you know that there is now a "T" on Seabreeze where turn around is. Approximate, but pretty darn close. Race Directors will adjust as required on race week. Now people won't overshoot or turn too early. Only on the first lap remember...

R

Jon Morton
President, Triathlon Muskoka (TriMuskoka)
http://www.trimuskoka.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suckered in by the 100 spot left Facebook post...I guess I'm heading north! Looking forward to it, heard great reviews for the 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on! See you in a month!

Jon Morton
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok everyone. I stand here before you apologetic for being incorrect. I was informed back in February, and had my facts incorrect lately, but the Seabreeze is ON BOTH LOOPS. Yes, you heard it here, both loops.
I apologize to all of you specifically for sounding like I knew what the answer was, when in fact I didn't. Now I have proof from an email back in February that states that the out and back is on both loops.

Jon Morton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had an email on that one from the IM people confirming its up Sea Breeze for two laps too. I tried my hand at guesstimating where the turn around is and posted an image on the facebook page. I'm told 2.5 k up Sea Breeze with the turn around just past a construction yard entrance. I saw a BOR Aggregate sign on Hwy 35 with an entrance to a huge quarry using Google Earth and the back lane to the same quarry must run off Sea Breeze but I'm not sure if there's a sign. There is a "T" now though so good enough for me!
Garry

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming" Finding Nemo
Last edited by: 1460: Aug 2, 15 0:28
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [1460] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in too.
I'll be using my only bike ( regular road bike) but I still have to decide whether or not put on the aerobars, apparently there are not too many sections where you can keep the TT position. Am I wrong?
What will be your bike option?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [paolo.s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paolo.s wrote:
I'm in too.
I'll be using my only bike ( regular road bike) but I still have to decide whether or not put on the aerobars, apparently there are not too many sections where you can keep the TT position. Am I wrong?
What will be your bike option?

Put the aerobars on. In the 70.3, I would say I was in the aerobars 95% of the time. A lot of the rollers you want to stay aero and carry as much speed as possible into the next hill. The further up you get, the less time you have to spend out of the aero and the less time climbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure aerobars. I agree with Dev. You can spend a lot of time in aero. In the afternoon, the headwinds along 117 might be there to greet you....think of like the Beast breathing down your neck....haha. But, there have been times when that stretch has a sweet tailwind. The lake effect provides some neat challenges. Sure it isn't predictable like Kona's winds are, but can add some extra challenge.

Here is what the T at the Seabreeze turn around looks like:
https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11800258_838947069527815_9134507568753843585_n.jpg?oh=7278b185b70c1064e5cef0d9d6bc0702&oe=564ABF44

Jon Morton
Last edited by: trimuskoka: Aug 2, 15 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

On an unrelated note, I don't know if everyone knows about the ancillary events that have been organized by our local Ironman Muskoka Experience Committee. This committee of dedicated and passionate volunteers are hell bent on making sure that the athletes, spectators, volunteers, and local community residents have an Ironman experience that is truly one that is Muskokan. Even though they are our closest IM neighbour, we are not IMMT. We are Muskoka, and we want you to have a Muskoka experience.

On our website, we have a pages dediated to
  • Ironman Muskoka (www.trimuskoka.com/ironman-muskoka) with all kinds of information about the course
  • Ironman Muskoka Volunteers (www.tinyurl.com/imm-volunteers) with info about volunteers (we still need about 650 volunteers, so anyone who can lend a hand would be great. Most are just 4 hour shifts)
  • Our very own IronWeek events schedule including:

• Tons of activities in and around town for the whole family
    • An IronKids race for kids 3-14yo with two distances depending on their age (500m for 3-6yo, 1km for 7-14yo) right downtown
    • A Sunrise Swim for Hospice swim where all the proceeds go to Hospice Huntsville, and you get a fully supported early morning swim with breakfast afterwards
    • Camp Tawingo Muskoka Day Camp which is a local camp that is willing to provide a Muskoka camp experience for kids during the days of August 27th to August 31st (single day and 5 day rates available)
    • A super awesome coffee boat by NyDock serving up Muskoka Roastery Coffee and Totem Juice
    • Visit our IronWeek events page for more details and to keep up to date with all the info

Plus, if you haven't signed up for a great social media group where you can learn more about the event, the people coming, and help chime in in a non-ST page:

Jon Morton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all of you who are up here training this coming week...there is some emergency surgery required on Brunel Road just south of South Portage Rd. This means that part of Brunel is closed from August 4th to 10th.

Here are two links:

[1] Bike Detour: This road is in great shape and rode it myself last weekend to avoid Brunel construction ... http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/803152595

[2] Car Detour and notice: click here for the car detour route http://www.lakeofbays.on.ca/content/road-closure-0

Jon Morton
Quote Reply

Prev Next