Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Alvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had 179.2 on my gps, but I didn't start from deerhurst, I was riding from town so I hit the lap button passing Cookson bay drive which is roughly the same distance from the first turn onto canal road and then lapped again on the way out. I turned around on seabreeze just after the first sharp uphill, there was a fork in the road there and it was very wide, seemed like a natural place for a turnaround and the distance was about right. The math seems to work out... The half is 94k, with 18 of that being the out and back from deerhurst, so the lake of bay's loop is 76 giving 170 km without seabreeze. 5km down seabreeze should be roughly where the t/a is, so I might have cut it a bit short, but I'd like to think 179 is close enough that they don't need to add another 500m of crappy roads?
Do you happen to use bestbikesplit and compare times with what was predicted? I feel bbb times for me were optimistic given the difficulty of the course, but I ended up only about 5min slower after riding at race power which might actually work out to be close with the extra stopping for water, pee breaks, stops signs, construction etc. I was kitted right out with the only difference from race setup being an extra bottle and cage on the downtube.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I rode the course last week I started out at 745 and it was 13c or 55f - no wind with the sun out and I was fine with just my lg m-2 suit (shoulders covered helps). I have raced the half a few times and the full should have similar weather - usually cool to start, could be as low as 8-10c, if it's sunny it's ok but there is a lot of shade for the first 15k of the bike - fortunately there is also a lot of climbing which helps warm things up. If it's raining it is cold. Typical weather for that time of year (I lived there for almost 20 years) would be 10-14c for race start warming up to 20-24c by mid-afternoon with partly cloudy skies and light winds - which means for race day it will probably be 5c in light drizzle all day long ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thx

Always struggled with what to wear in the cold and rain

My next attempt will be sleeveless rain jacket and castelli Gabbo on top to make it more aero

I think I may go for it , looks like a great venue

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just make sure to pack arm warmers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Many thx

Always struggled with what to wear in the cold and rain

My next attempt will be sleeveless rain jacket and castelli Gabbo on top to make it more aero

I think I may go for it , looks like a great venue

Cheers

Sorry for not checking in on this thread. For rain in not too cold conditions, I use arm warmers and wear a plastic bag inside my singlet (like an Ironman transition bag). When it gets into cold rain, I am totally useless. I have worn a full rain coat in some races and paid the aero penalty in favour of not getting a DNF. Yes, it is a parachute, but when you pay as much as we do for these events with entry fee, travel and days off work, better to finish than DNF.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you , DNF placid last year and zofingen the year before

If cold rain is a possibility I have to think about whether to sign up at all though think my rain jacket and Gabbo idea would work

Thx again
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bib numbers are up
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the 70.3, Were the Gatorade bottles being handed out the taller ones (24oz) or small chubby (20oz) ones?
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Jul 21, 15 19:57
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have helpfully post the IM AWA list and my AG 45-49 is stacked with 5 or 6 who have gone sun 9-30 or 4-20 ish for a half
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
They have helpfully post the IM AWA list and my AG 45-49 is stacked with 5 or 6 who have gone sun 9-30 or 4-20 ish for a half

AWA Gold just means they will have tired legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed , discounted those guys though
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
At the 70.3, Were the Gatorade bottles being handed out the taller ones (24oz) or small chubby (20oz) ones?

Taller ones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Agreed , discounted those guys though

There are always studs who don't show up, registered, but got a KQ slot elsewhere, get injured, or blow themselves apart on race day. Never let the presence of studs affect your decision making. They could be a total non factor in the end, or they could have an awesome day. You don't know. All you know is your own body and controlling what you can get out of yourself. Having said that, I guess it is time to check on the IM Canada Whistler list to see which studs are in my age group (LOL)!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone tell me if there are stops on the course to get hydration at? I'll be riding the course and wanted to get an idea of the best places to get food and drink. I don't need every stop, but was curious about what mileage they are located at. Hopefully there is one close to mile 40/50. sorry if this has been brought up before.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [seadocha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When will you be riding it? There are plenty of places as soon as you get off of Dwight Beach road and onto Hwy 35.

seadocha wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there are stops on the course to get hydration at? I'll be riding the course and wanted to get an idea of the best places to get food and drink. I don't need every stop, but was curious about what mileage they are located at. Hopefully there is one close to mile 40/50. sorry if this has been brought up before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of the AWA, are you referring to bib #'s? Are the lowest #'s in each AG the top AWA athletes? I'm racing IMMT and was looking at this and comparing on Athlinks - some of the top bib #'s in my AG don't seem to have very fast times.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
When will you be riding it? There are plenty of places as soon as you get off of Dwight Beach road and onto Hwy 35.

seadocha wrote:

yes, I will be riding the course. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm bib #24 and I suck so there definitely cannot be any correlation between finishing times and low bib #s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have "athlete welcome centres" around the bike course now, one in Dwight and Dorset, two in Baysville. Says you can get food/drink and they have washrooms and tools.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [McNabb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gosh my there are no places to stay. Anyone else staying in Barrie? It's says its about an 1 hr away. I'm traveling alone so I don't mind traveling far.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bracebridge maybe? Gravenhurst? If nothing there, Orillia is probably a bit better than Barrie.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
Gosh my there are no places to stay. Anyone else staying in Barrie? It's says its about an 1 hr away. I'm traveling alone so I don't mind traveling far.

I'd recommend trying to find a hotel room in Bracebridge. I've stayed there for the half and it was fine. A bunch of chain hotels in the city which typically makes it easy to find a decent room. Expedia shows some rooms available. Gravenhurst is another option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a convenience/grocery store just before the bridge on your left in Dorset, and a gas station about 200m past the turn onto Brunel road in baysville, but it's on 117 so you have to go past the turn and then backtrack. There's also a microbrew and a liquor store right at the Brunel road turn in case your day isn't going well. From Baysville to Dwight there is nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only problem with staying offsite is you need to be there for Athlete Check-in on Friday, and then Bike check-in on Saturday...plus a mandatory athlete briefing on Friday from 8-9pm? This seems ridiculous...or can you go to the Saturday one at 11am? The athlete guide is really crappy...can anyone confirm which athlete briefing we need to go to?

IanH wrote:
trimac2 wrote:

I'd recommend trying to find a hotel room in Bracebridge. I've stayed there for the half and it was fine. A bunch of chain hotels in the city which typically makes it easy to find a decent room. Expedia shows some rooms available. Gravenhurst is another option.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Jul 22, 15 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one of those gold guys, and I promise to suck. Cross me off your list.
Quote Reply

Prev Next