Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [CPA_PFS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPA_PFS wrote:
There is also the 'resistance to change' at play here. Prior to MP3s, there were no effective ways of carrying music with you when running.

Sony Walkman was available in the 80s, I ran with one a couple of times.. worked fine but found I don't like music while running (except on treadmills).

The reason not to wear headphones running/riding is the same as for not texting while driving.. in a crowded race or MUT, need to have your situational awareness up and working, not zoned out wandering vaguely across the road grooving on your tunes..
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
... You don't hear bike racers shouting "on your left" when they make passes, wonder why that is? ...

Uh, sorry chief, that's not really correct. Maybe you are right in that I'm not "shouting" anything but I sure as hell am communicating if I'm coming inside/outside/right/left...
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
The reason not to wear headphones running/riding is the same as for not texting while driving.. in a crowded race or MUT, need to have your situational awareness up and working, not zoned out wandering vaguely across the road grooving on your tunes..

That is an old and weak argument. It is more akin to listening to the radio while driving than it is to texting while driving. Do you find that if you listen to the radio while driving that you "zone out and wander vaguely across the road while grooving to your tunes"?

Go to almost any large marathon and a significant percentage will be using headphones. I have run many marathons with 20,000 to 45,000 runners and worn headphones with no issue. I have run marathons in foreign countries that I couldn't understand their language yet there was no issue.
Last edited by: CPA_PFS: May 20, 14 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you *have* to communicate, but it is certainly smart to communicate your intentions when you are an AGer, racing among 2k other AGers. If your at the very pointy front end of the field, it's not as important, but general awareness and communication among 95% of the AGers is certainly a good thing and something that should be taught/expected/encouraged.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPA_PFS wrote:

That is an old and weak argument. It is more akin to listening to the radio while driving than it is to texting while driving. Do you find that if you listen to the radio while driving that you "zone out and wander vaguely across the road while grooving to your tunes"?

Go to almost any large marathon and a significant percentage will be using headphones. I have run many marathons with 20,000 to 45,000 runners and worn headphones with no issue. I have run marathons in foreign countries that I couldn't understand their language yet there was no issue.

That you don't have problems with wearing headphones doesn't mean all can. I was on a triathlon run where an official rode up next to a runner with headphones on. She was riding 3 feet to the left of the runner, and was yelling her number as loud as possible, with no response. She finally pulled in front and waved her hand in front of the runner's face. The runner pulled out her earphones and said "are you talking to me? did you say something?" Completely oblivious to her surroundings.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stindiana wrote:
Amazing...the lack of common courtesy in the whole county just boggles the mind. That and a serious lack of common sense. Hey DA...it is also best to announce your passing so the bike in front of you doesn't take a sudden left itself and drop you on the pavement....but maybe that would be an improvement in this case...Wow.

And I will bet your one of the new crop of DA's that runs WITH traffic and has head-phone on...another case of natural selection! Please do not have children until mother nature in the form of Darwin can catch-up..

Another wow.

How ironic to complain about "the lack of common courtesy in the whole country" and immediately follow up with a post that primarily consists of a personal attack. (Additional irony points for someone that has a business advertising its Christian values.)

That said, I'm not sure how "on your left" is an example of being courteous. It doesn't make passing more safe. And in a race, unless someone is blocking or otherwise riding dangerously, it's completely unnecessary. It's also unnecessary in a non-race setting. Being courteous in a non-race setting is, when making pass, is saying "hello" or "good morning" or a simple wave.

Besides, this thread is about the run.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: May 21, 14 14:05
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Numerous studies, most notably by Dr Costas Karageorghis and colleagues at Brunel University, London, have shown that running with music helps improve endurance – by 15%, according to research they published in 2008."

What does "Improve endurance" mean? Do you really think that if elite runners popped on headphones they'd be 15% faster? Sounds like the people who benefit the most are the people who lack the ability to dig deep. Go to any running race...in the top 50 you will see very few headphones. The top 50 is embracing the sensation of the race, the bottom 50 is trying to make it go away.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful, Auditory experts believe imbalances like this are a very quick way to go deaf. It effects the way the nervous system processes sound.

CPA_PFS wrote:
The argument is typically that you need to be able to hear instructions and such. I think it is an inaccurate premise. I run thousands of miles with music in one ear while carrying on conversations. No problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what it means is that it's reducing the gap between their limits and perceived exertion if that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [tryguy67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tryguy67 wrote:
Be careful, Auditory experts believe imbalances like this are a very quick way to go deaf. It effects the way the nervous system processes sound.

In that case, I will consider going back to two earphones. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
What's the deal with ovaltine?

They should call it roundtine
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to wear headphones while running and stopped because I didn't like the lack of situational awareness running in NYC, way too many people, cars, bikes etc. not to be aware of what is around
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if 25,000 are blasting music with noise cancelling earphones? Is that a good thing? If you allow them, you have to assume the worst case scenario. You can't assume that everyone would use them responsibly like you claim to.
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
jsoderman wrote:
I was always under the impression that the no headphones thing was an extension of the 'no outside help' principal in tri. Someone please correct me if this is wrong

Sort of. The idea is to avoid people using music to keep a certain beat/pace.

John

Similar to the rules preventing bike computers, gps and other pacing devices??
Quote Reply
Re: Why no headphones/music allowed in the run? [elag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT, ITU and pretty much every federation. Not really up for debate.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next