Prev Next
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [TropicPlace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is possible my wife would agree. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
I don't see the perspective of having to have the spouse follow along to races or participate in other hobbies. A married person is allowed to have their own life and in a secure marriage the spouse shouldn't be so needy as to have to have the other participate in all their activities. It's nice once in a while yes. Necessary? No.

OTOH, bitching about the spouses hobbies and inhibiting participation is a big No No. Been going strong 22 years of marriage this way.

Very nicely stated.
I think as some others has said it very much depends upon circumstances and there are obviously limitless ones.
if it is genuinely causing disruptions in the relationship due to missed events or lack of attention to the fundamental structure of the relationship then it should be discussed and compromise attempted.
The thought that a spouse does not support the other because they are excelling,have increased self-esteem,image,etc. or feel that the athletic spouse should spend all of their time with the other as "quality" time,shouts of an underlying issue with insecurity,low self-esteem.
We marry the person in front of us,NOT the person we want them to be or that they can be molded into.

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Post deleted by threefire [ In reply to ]
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Velo E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post.

Todd

Seen on ST: NOTSOSWUYD: None of the secrets of success work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [bluesugar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesugar wrote:
I didn't read what AndyPants said in that other thread, but my Ironman journey definitely changed me too, and I was the spouse that asked for the divorce.

I decided to do a sprint tri after watching the Sydney olympics - I was just over 30, with a new baby, and fat. The gold medal winner had just had a baby 10 months ago, so I identified with her to some degree, and thought if she could win a gold medal, I could at least get off my fat ass. Prior to that, there had been nearly no regular physical activity since college. Looking back, I think I was going through a depressed period in my 20's and early 30's. Whether I can thank the exercised induced endorphins, the structure of training, the time allowed to take for myself, I was able to slowly climb out. As the fog lifted and I became more involved and more fit and moving up to longer distances, my husband stayed stagnant. He was supportive at first but then got sick of it, whether because of the time spent or because he could tell I was changing inside as well as outside, I don't know. Or maybe I wasn't changing, maybe I was just growing up, becoming more clear on who I was, who he was, and what was good for me.

6 years later and my 1st Ironman finish complete, the turning point for me was an anniversary party for my best friend and her Ironman husband (who was one of my training partners). The host asked us to go around the room and say what we loved best about our spouse. Every wife in that room seemed to have something special to say about her husband - he is passionate, he is loyal, he is goal-oriented, he is warm and caring, he is a good provider, he is a good father, etc. I excused myself to go to the rest room before the question came around to me, and I hid in there for a while, because all I could think to say was that my husband was funny. He wasn't any of those things, but he sure was funny! It was like a cold glass of water dumped on my head. From that day on I couldn't look at him the same way without finding something inadequate. 2 years later, by then a 2 time IM, I told him "I can't do this anymore."

He blames Ironman for the divorce, but I can't imagine what my life would be like if I had stayed on that unhealthy, depressed path.

Good for you. And you're certainly not alone in how you felt, that's for sure. :/ Many people take for granted that everyone around them is happy and being in that sort of situation really sucks. I've been there.

I've run into the problem where my wife used to be a big-time athlete all the way through college. Now, she has no hobbies or anything notable to speak of. I started training a few years ago and she's never been very supportive. Eventually, she admitted she was jealous because SHE used to be the athlete. There's a lot more to it, but that was a telling moment for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [devrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jealously is a real challenge. I'm still trying to find a way to get my wife motivated to do something active or find some hobby. Some women really are content on being great moms/parents as the focus of their life... but most are not. I'm not saying that they don't love to be moms or love their children, but it they don't want that to define them. My wife's job took a turn where she no longer enjoys it, and it's really created a large gap in her life.

My compromise is that in 2 years, I hang it up.. or at least bakc it down ot rational traiing volumes where he schedule and commitments are priority... and it's "her turn" to be committed to a goal or hobby.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
canuck8 wrote:
knewbike wrote:
I don't see the perspective of having to have the spouse follow along to races or participate in other hobbies. A married person is allowed to have their own life and in a secure marriage the spouse shouldn't be so needy as to have to have the other participate in all their activities. It's nice once in a while yes. Necessary? No.

OTOH, bitching about the spouses hobbies and inhibiting participation is a big No No. Been going strong 22 years of marriage this way.

Very nicely stated.
I think as some others has said it very much depends upon circumstances and there are obviously limitless ones.
if it is genuinely causing disruptions in the relationship due to missed events or lack of attention to the fundamental structure of the relationship then it should be discussed and compromise attempted.
The thought that a spouse does not support the other because they are excelling,have increased self-esteem,image,etc. or feel that the athletic spouse should spend all of their time with the other as "quality" time,shouts of an underlying issue with insecurity,low self-esteem.
We marry the person in front of us,NOT the person we want them to be or that they can be molded into.

Terry

THIS.

I created an account just to post to this thread. My marriage is on its last legs. It started last year when I trained for an ironman. I did my absolute best to balance time for training and my husband (no kids). I skipped workouts to spend time with him, I made sure there was a home-cooked meal for him on the table 95% of the time. He was unhappy but he never told me in a productive way; all I would hear were things like "You bike too much", "You're working out AGAIN?" etc. (He told me he supported me doing an IM but I'm not sure he knew what he was in for.) I would try to spend more time with him but he wouldn't want to do anything but sit around and watch tv. All the time he could have spent developing his own interests and he just sat around and got depressed.

Thought it would be better after the race. It didn't. When I said I would cut down on the training, I think he thought I'd work out a few times a week, like normal people. I still ran marathons and a 50k and shorter tris. To me, that WAS a huge cutback compared to IM training. I tried to make him happy and tried to spend time with him but he was angry and pushed me away. Our communication was shot. I got very depressed and started focusing more on myself to feel better. We put a huge wedge between ourselves that we've been trying to repair but nothing is working. Weekly counseling is not working. I cut way back on training and try to train more while he's at work (we work slightly different schedules). It's not helping. It's still not good enough. He wants me home more just to be there sitting around. He still has no passions or interests of his own to speak of and his self-esteem is incredibly low. I've always known that but completing an IM, and spending time with more go-getters like me, has shone a HUGE light on the difference between us. He does not inspire me or make me a better person and obviously I can't do the same for him. I'm about to cut and run because we don't have kids and I can't see us being happy without one or the other sacrificing who we are.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [runk8run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without wanting to sound harsh, if this man wants somebody to sit next to him while he watches TV you should get him a dog.

I'm in a similar situation, but perhaps with a few key differences. It's true that I have found my passion and my partner hasn't found hers yet. But we also have a little girl together, and whilst I love my hobby I love my daughter much much more, so trying to train without interrupting that is a difficulty. Lots of what I do is at night time, and if I want to ride 2+ hrs at the weekend I'm getting up very early. But my girlfriend IS proud of me, and she DOES want me to live my dreams. And we do love each other very much. She just doesn't want it screw up our family, and doesn't want to be left doing all the housework and staying at home so that I can ride my bike. Fair enough. But it is really, really difficult. To the point that I am not going to race full distance in the immediate future, which is my own choice.

But if she simply wanted me to sit around and do nothing whilst she sat around and did nothing, I'd wonder where on her scale of priorities my happiness was. What you describe doesn't sound like somebody wanting you to spend time with them, it sounds like somebody wanting you to be as unhappy as they are.

No kids? Get out of there and meet someone from your club!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just harder than all that. I still love him, and the fact that I'm on my way out the door (I moved out and everything) is breaking his heart. At the same time, he needs to help himself. He wants me to reach my goals but he doesn't have anything that he does where I can return the favor and be supportive. Truthfully, I'm not sure that he even knows what he wants, except that he's unhappy (you're right), but I can't fix that for him.

I told my therapist this story: a while back, we were running together - he does run a little although he doesn't have the love for it that I do - and we were running up a hill. He was struggling; meanwhile, a good song came on my ipod so I was smiling and dancing up the hill. He snapped at me, "Just go!!!" because I'm faster than him and he was angry that I was happy while he was struggling. The solution to him isn't for him to find a way to be happier, it's for me to find a way to be unhappier. He'll say it's not so but deep down, that's been our whole marriage. I was unhappy and unhealthy when we met 6 years ago; as I grew, I've always been the one to concede and when I started doing things for me, it drove us apart.

As for my club....all married, gay, or crazier than I am. I'm a 16:28 Ironman. I would be faster if I threw my life more out of balance but for an endurance athlete, I have to say that I train more on the hobby level and am content to be in the back of the pack. The fun people are all back there anyway. So I know myself well enough to know that I'm not going to click with a sub-3 marathoner who follows a strict diet plan. But I'm not doing well with Mr. Passionless, either. Someone in between like me, perhaps???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your husband does not appear to respect you or your passions. That is a shame. You seem to be very motivated and have found something you love to do. You are doing the right thing by moving out (if I read your post correctly). He needs to reevaluate the priorities in his life. If he cannot come to terms with who you are and who you want to be, then you are better off finding someone new. Both of you will be happier in the end.

This has nothing to do with your time commitment for IM training/racing. I believe your husband is trying to hold you back so he doesn't feel the need to motivate himself. As others have posted, IM training, while very time consuming and intensive, will probably not lead to divorce unless there are other underlying factors brewing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [TropicPlace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you are training together, talk to each other and do not listen to your own music on you iPod. You might as well just go out and run by yourself. I would consider it offensive if my partner who is running with me whislt she would be fitter is listening to her music.

/counseling-mode on
By the sound of it, there are deeper issue's between you and him then just the training/time-spent and unless you speak directly to and with each other in private with no referee or guidance around, no amount of counceling will help you guys out. Get the frustration out of each other.

I'm happy that my current partner is very supportive and also very athletic. She understands and knows first-hand what it takes to achieve something in sports. IT does not mean we don't have arguments about it, but I am sure I discuss upfront and before making my race-calendar what it all means and it's implications. That way, it becomes unfair behaviour blaming afterwards when the training-days are getting reaaly long.

As athletes, we are perfectly able to take the training-load, but we are also people who need a stable emotional environment. It takes support and understanding to reach your emotional balance so you an get the best out of your body. That is exactly why top-athletes are supported by strong spouses/friends and even an mental coach.

I can't tell you what to do, I think you know what to do, but you are holding on a bit. You need to make a clear-cut choice and be straight and open about it. To everyone. I have not been in the beginning at the end of my marriage. FWIW: She was very supportive, but very un-sporty. It caused additional emotional harm and made it dag on longer then it needed to be. Not because I wanted to hurt her, but only because I wanted to soften the "blow". It had exactly the opposite effect of what I wanted to achieve.

/counseling-mode off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runk8run wrote:
I'm a 16:28 Ironman. I would be faster if I threw my life more out of balance but for an endurance athlete, I have to say that I train more on the hobby level and am content to be in the back of the pack. The fun people are all back there anyway. So I know myself well enough to know that I'm not going to click with a sub-3 marathoner who follows a strict diet plan. But I'm not doing well with Mr. Passionless, either. Someone in between like me, perhaps???

I'm not trying to bash you, but your posts come across something like "I'm an Ironman now, I deserve better." Maybe this is completely not the case. You obviously were crazy about this guy when you married him, doing some bike riding shouldn't have changed that.

Let me give you my example...I went from sedentary to a cat 2 bike racer (FOP in tri terms) in about 3 years with the same girlfriend the whole time. She didn't suddenly take up bike racing (and I never asked her to) and our relationship was still great. I don't want to have a girlfriend to train with. I want a girlfriend who I like to spend time with when I'm not training.

I eventually broke up with that girlfriend for reasons that had nothing to do with my training. I am in a relationship now with an awesome girl- she runs and works out and it really doesn't matter to me what she does. I obsess over riding 4 hours vs 5 and if my FTP is 300 or 320, she is none of that and it works out perfectly.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a mutually destructive marriage. The tough part is you say that you still love him but from what I've read, he doesn't really care all that much for himself. And, you may be enabling that to some extent.

Something I have more experience with is people and jobs. I've hired a number of folks and "helped" others to move on. When there isn't a fit between a person and their job, whether that be because the job has evolved and they haven't (similar I think to your case) or the person doesn't have the skills (not usually the case) or the person doesn't get along with others (more often the case) a number of things happen. First, everyone is somewhat miserable, employees ask why that person is still there and the person dislikes coming into the office. Although they will fight to keep their job, when they do move on and look back at the situation a year or so later, they are much happier, in fact everyone is. It's like "staying together for the kids", everyone sees the problem and are miserable and it doesn't work.

Added to that, you've been to councillors. If you've been to councilling and can't work it out, time to split and move on.

FYI, I've been married over 40 years. My wife has absolutely nothing to do with anything athletic. I, on the other hand, well, do Triathlons. But, she is fine with me training and not sitting in front of the boob tube for hours at a time (although there are a couple of shows we watch). We take vacations where I hit the gym or swim or run while she reads a book or listens to a podcast. We'll go for walks to see sites but that's the extent of her exercise.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in her position 4-5mo ago. It's not because of the triathlon, not because of the Ironman. It's because she's found a passion, rediscovered something about herself, lit a new flame.....he's worried about being left behind. He apparently leans on you for a big piece of his identity - if he's not with you (& you're not with him) then who is he? You've found an answer to that & that's a scary thing for the person that feels left out. That starts the depression/insecurity....& it only grows as the distance between you gets wider. You've found something that does make you a better person, something that helps round out who you think you are. He feels like he's losing you in that process & that leaves him lost.

People were meant to grow, evolve, learn.....when we have someone else in our lives we make the decision to either do that together or apart. Both partners need their own interests, their own passions....sometimes those are the same, sometimes they aren't. But everyone needs their own identity. If you've found part of yours & he can't support, appreciate or enjoy that....much less if he makes you feel guilty for having found a passion & enjoying it...then it's sad.

It's not easy but you can't make someone appreciate a passion unless they want to - unless they try to understand it & are secure enough to understand that it doesn't have to weaken your bond & that it would be him that you come home to if it didn't make you feel bad for being who you are.

Good luck....I can say this part is the pits....but the other side of it is wide open. Find what makes you smile & run after that with your whole heart. Those that are worthy will be there.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runk8run wrote:
It's just harder than all that. I still love him, and the fact that I'm on my way out the door (I moved out and everything) is breaking his heart. At the same time, he needs to help himself. He wants me to reach my goals but he doesn't have anything that he does where I can return the favor and be supportive. Truthfully, I'm not sure that he even knows what he wants, except that he's unhappy (you're right), but I can't fix that for him.

I told my therapist this story: a while back, we were running together - he does run a little although he doesn't have the love for it that I do - and we were running up a hill. He was struggling; meanwhile, a good song came on my ipod so I was smiling and dancing up the hill. He snapped at me, "Just go!!!" because I'm faster than him and he was angry that I was happy while he was struggling. The solution to him isn't for him to find a way to be happier, it's for me to find a way to be unhappier. He'll say it's not so but deep down, that's been our whole marriage. I was unhappy and unhealthy when we met 6 years ago; as I grew, I've always been the one to concede and when I started doing things for me, it drove us apart.

As for my club....all married, gay, or crazier than I am. I'm a 16:28 Ironman. I would be faster if I threw my life more out of balance but for an endurance athlete, I have to say that I train more on the hobby level and am content to be in the back of the pack. The fun people are all back there anyway. So I know myself well enough to know that I'm not going to click with a sub-3 marathoner who follows a strict diet plan. But I'm not doing well with Mr. Passionless, either. Someone in between like me, perhaps???

Wait, dude can't keep up with a 16-1/2 hour IM chick? What, is he an AARP candidate, or carrying a heavy backpack? I kid, I kid ~ sort of.

Just drop the fat turd already. Sounds harsh, but you know that's what you're saying already anyway, only beating around the bush about it looking for validation here... Well you have it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Jealously is a real challenge. I'm still trying to find a way to get my wife motivated to do something active or find some hobby. Some women really are content on being great moms/parents as the focus of their life... but most are not. I'm not saying that they don't love to be moms or love their children, but it they don't want that to define them. My wife's job took a turn where she no longer enjoys it, and it's really created a large gap in her life.

My compromise is that in 2 years, I hang it up.. or at least bakc it down ot rational traiing volumes where he schedule and commitments are priority... and it's "her turn" to be committed to a goal or hobby.

and just because they might want to be moms and focus on kids it doesn't mean forever. I totally focused on the kids until the youngest was 6 and then started exercising. When she was 9 I did my first triathlon and first IM. Now it is ME time. :) I have been doing an IM every year since 2010 but I work from home so I'm around the kids, but they know that dad really is the go-to person. people can change but I'll never consider myself a triathlete (and especially not an ironman). I'm a MOM and most proud of that.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
He apparently leans on you for a big piece of his identity - if he's not with you (& you're not with him) then who is he?

+1000
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been there, done that, and am so happy after moving on. After 14 years, I realized that he's never once met me at the finish line of a race and missed a dozen other milestones in my life that were important to me (grad school graduations, big promotions, etc). He promised to come to my IM this year (#3) and backed out again (also backed out on the others). That was the breaking point for me. We tried counseling, I took a year off from it, I've supported his hobbies for years (and they are time sucks, too), and been 100% behind him in raising his son from a previous relationship. When people asked me about races or anything positive in my life, he flat out walked away like he couldn't even listen to it. The resentment was pallable. IM didn't cause it but it sure made me more aware of his BS attitude about supporting your significant other. Some people aren't happy unless everyone else around then is as unhappy as them - and he seems pretty miserable with his life but won't do any work to make it better. I woke up about 2 months ago, completely done with it and broke it off (no kids btw us either). After 14 years, you'd think it would be hard to do but I can honestly say I've been happier in these last 2 months then I've been in 14 years. I'm only bummed that I put up with it as long as I did.

I read somewhere a quote that said, "some of the loneliest times in my life have been while I'll was in a relationship". So very true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your story is mine and I am having a very hard time coping with the distance. We have only been married a year and it's falling apart all around me.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Ironwomanstrong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm never getting married then. I prefer training over dealing with angry women

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give you marriage a chance.

I've been married 34 years and my first year of marriage was the hardest. It was an adjustment period. I can't imagine training for an ironman and being a newlywed.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never say never!! There are a lot of great ladies (and guys) out there....I'm super lucky and happy to have a partner that supports me, work, hobby's etc!

Life is so much better have some one at home......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd forgotten about this thread, but it was a good time to revisit it. An update on me: my divorce should be final on 5/5. It'll be the day after my 5th marathon this year. (7th since I left.) Obviously I've picked the running up about 10 notches since I left. :) It's been incredibly hard - I tell people I'd rather do five Ironmans in a row with no seat on my bike than go through that ever again. Still is hard. I'm not convinced that I need to find another runner/triathlete but I am convinced that I need to find someone with some kind of passion for life. In the meantime, I've met some wonderful people at races - male and female - and surrounding myself with some positivity reminds me that there's more in the world than the narrow world I was stuck in. I joined the Marathon Maniacs and that's like a big ol' family. I've also PR'd at the 13.1, 26.2 and 50k distance. I would like to get back into tris; running has just been easier and involved less thought and has been my best stress relief now. It's been a hard road, but I also feel a lot more like me than I have in years.

Looking at another Ironman down the road. Also looking at revisiting the world travel dreams I had put on hold. Signed up for the Paris Marathon lottery and got in for next year, so I'll see where life takes me. I'm 32; plenty of time to chase my dreams. All of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably look through entirely too oversimplified lenses but after reading this entire thread it seems to come down to independent people and dependent people. You can't combine the two and expect lasting results without major changes to someone's nature, which isn't likely either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
" not convinced that I need to find another runner/triathlete but I am convinced that I need to find someone with some kind of passion for life. In the meantime, I've met some wonderful people at races - male and female - and surrounding myself with some positivity reminds me that there's more in the world than the narrow world I was stuck in."

Kudos to that, man, I'm raising a glass of nuun for every word of it :) going through the same these days, so this thread helps ALOT ,thanks for sharing it. Passion for life and all those awesome crazy ppl around, right.
Quote Reply

Prev Next