Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: POWER CRANKS [whitetrashkid1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whitetrashkid1 wrote:
This is my experience with using powercranks for more than 4 years. I am a medical doctor. I am 53 years old; 5'8"; lifted heavy weights for 20 years and my weight often was around 220. I stopped lifting heavy about 5 years ago. I still weight train a little and run and swim. My goal is to do a 1/2 ironman this summer and possibly a full ironman in the fall. I intend to get my weight down to 175 or less but I am getting fairly lean at 193.

I am usually riding 6 hours a week or less but for several months I might put in more time and mileage. I am usually "hammering" when I get on the road. A lot of my rides are 15-30 miles and I may put in several 50+ mile rides in a month. Some winters, I stop cycling for 1-3 months.

I went to power cranks in about May, five years ago. I did most of my training on them until about three months ago. Before using powercranks, I did one leg drills and thought I was "spinning" for 25 years. However, read a lot of reviews and was ready for some torture. My first day on powercranks, I almost didn't venture outside of the parking lot but road about 6 miles in 30+ minutes. After the first minute or two, I was limited to coasting between several strokes or alternating 5-10 slow strokes, one leg at a time. I felt muscles in the legs and pelvis and back that I never used before. I had muscles pain that I never had before. I was hooked!!! I committed to doing all of my training on power cranks. Unfortunately, training on these cranks were so difficult that I lost my cardio fitness that year. I could not physically or mentally train at the previous volume. I could not stand up on the pedals well. I lost strength in my quads. I could not maintain a decent cadence for more than a few seconds. I did a lot of riding alternating legs But, I'm stubborn.

I stopped cycling for most of the winter and in the spring I needed to relearn using the cranks. I built up my mileage pretty well the second year but still had extra muscles pain after a ride and became almost as fast as I was on regular cranks. The third spring after "resting" through the winter, the cranks felt natural after about the first day or two. I concentrated on standing on the pedals. I became strong again but did not make any breakthroughs in my speed. That Labor Day weekend, I had a heart attack -- while on the bike; lost a chunk of my heart and damaged a third of the heart muscle. I continued to ride powercranks and the fourth summer I was as strong as ever on a bike, but I as loosing my coordination on regular cranks. The same was true of the fifth summer and I started going back to regular cranks intermittently. I could finally ride at a cadence of 80-90 for an extended period.

The last few months, I am going back to regular cranks about 3/4 of my training (mostly inside through the winter). I believe that I will be faster this year.

Other issues: 1) The end caps can get stuck and I have one stuck and will send it back to powercranks to see if they can get it off. 2) The caps can loosen and fall off during a ride and leave the crank hanging from your foot (I carry a large hex wrench and an extra cap with me most of the time but you can ride carefully without the cap and get home). 3) The crank arms seem a little more likely to loosen from the bottome bracket than regular cranks. 4) The washers and mechanism that attach the pedals to the arms bend and get loose and I have had two sets chip where the pedals attach.

These aggravations can ruin days of training or potential training.

My opinion, as one who has read extensively about powercranks for 5 years and road them regularly: Don't expect a miracle. I think that working the extra muscles will help balance your pushing muscles and help with core strength. I expect they are especially beneficial for improving running and grinding out the hills in a higher gear. I had calf strains while running the year before I started using power cranks and have not had any since. I broke my back in 1993 and although I had some back pain with power cranks, I thought they helped with it.

Advice: Give them a try but keep a regular bike ready to ride if there is a mechanical issue or you do not have the will to ride them that day. Use them for maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of your training time until your body is adapting to them and you understand how they work with your body and style. Otherwise, you will likely loose strength in your quads and your training time will decrease and cardio will worsen. You might loose your coordination with regular cranks.

Disclaimer: This is the experience of an under-trained, over-muscled, overweight, old guy who is trying to go from a power athlete to an endurance athlete.

I think my heavy legs and thighs made powercranks particularly difficult, especially in regard to keeping a high cadence. This year, I plan to do most of my training on conventional cranks. However, I am buying a new set of entry level powercranks with several pedal positions and intend to experiment with shorter crank lengths to get in a better time trial position. The entry level cranks do not have the problematic adjustment system of most of the powercranks.

Just wanted to capture this entire post which does such an excellent job highlighting so many aspects of the product by a long time user.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Mar 2, 14 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: POWER CRANKS [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was your post supposed to be pink? Or simply not positve. I see nothing in there that would show they would help but plenty that would hurt or least be a pain in the ass.
Quote Reply
Re: POWER CRANKS [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Was your post supposed to be pink? Or simply not positve. I see nothing in there that would show they would help but plenty that would hurt or least be a pain in the ass.

I read no implication of positive or negative slant, but I agree, what I see is a constant stream of missed opportunities to improve performance, when time and effort and money would be far better used in other ways (if performance improvement is/was the primary goal).

Of course if one's goal was simply to see what they could achieve when using an artificial mechanical equipment impediment, then all strength to them. The bloody mindedness to persist is impressive, including after suffering serious health issue.
Quote Reply
Re: POWER CRANKS [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
whitetrashkid1 wrote:
This is my experience with using powercranks for more than 4 years. I am a medical doctor. I am 53 years old; 5'8"; lifted heavy weights for 20 years and my weight often was around 220. I stopped lifting heavy about 5 years ago. I still weight train a little and run and swim. My goal is to do a 1/2 ironman this summer and possibly a full ironman in the fall. I intend to get my weight down to 175 or less but I am getting fairly lean at 193.

I am usually riding 6 hours a week or less but for several months I might put in more time and mileage. I am usually "hammering" when I get on the road. A lot of my rides are 15-30 miles and I may put in several 50+ mile rides in a month. Some winters, I stop cycling for 1-3 months.

I went to power cranks in about May, five years ago. I did most of my training on them until about three months ago. Before using powercranks, I did one leg drills and thought I was "spinning" for 25 years. However, read a lot of reviews and was ready for some torture. My first day on powercranks, I almost didn't venture outside of the parking lot but road about 6 miles in 30+ minutes. After the first minute or two, I was limited to coasting between several strokes or alternating 5-10 slow strokes, one leg at a time. I felt muscles in the legs and pelvis and back that I never used before. I had muscles pain that I never had before. I was hooked!!! I committed to doing all of my training on power cranks. Unfortunately, training on these cranks were so difficult that I lost my cardio fitness that year. I could not physically or mentally train at the previous volume. I could not stand up on the pedals well. I lost strength in my quads. I could not maintain a decent cadence for more than a few seconds. I did a lot of riding alternating legs But, I'm stubborn.

I stopped cycling for most of the winter and in the spring I needed to relearn using the cranks. I built up my mileage pretty well the second year but still had extra muscles pain after a ride and became almost as fast as I was on regular cranks. The third spring after "resting" through the winter, the cranks felt natural after about the first day or two. I concentrated on standing on the pedals. I became strong again but did not make any breakthroughs in my speed. That Labor Day weekend, I had a heart attack -- while on the bike; lost a chunk of my heart and damaged a third of the heart muscle. I continued to ride powercranks and the fourth summer I was as strong as ever on a bike, but I as loosing my coordination on regular cranks. The same was true of the fifth summer and I started going back to regular cranks intermittently. I could finally ride at a cadence of 80-90 for an extended period.

The last few months, I am going back to regular cranks about 3/4 of my training (mostly inside through the winter). I believe that I will be faster this year.

Other issues: 1) The end caps can get stuck and I have one stuck and will send it back to powercranks to see if they can get it off. 2) The caps can loosen and fall off during a ride and leave the crank hanging from your foot (I carry a large hex wrench and an extra cap with me most of the time but you can ride carefully without the cap and get home). 3) The crank arms seem a little more likely to loosen from the bottome bracket than regular cranks. 4) The washers and mechanism that attach the pedals to the arms bend and get loose and I have had two sets chip where the pedals attach.

These aggravations can ruin days of training or potential training.

My opinion, as one who has read extensively about powercranks for 5 years and road them regularly: Don't expect a miracle. I think that working the extra muscles will help balance your pushing muscles and help with core strength. I expect they are especially beneficial for improving running and grinding out the hills in a higher gear. I had calf strains while running the year before I started using power cranks and have not had any since. I broke my back in 1993 and although I had some back pain with power cranks, I thought they helped with it.

Advice: Give them a try but keep a regular bike ready to ride if there is a mechanical issue or you do not have the will to ride them that day. Use them for maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of your training time until your body is adapting to them and you understand how they work with your body and style. Otherwise, you will likely loose strength in your quads and your training time will decrease and cardio will worsen. You might loose your coordination with regular cranks.

Disclaimer: This is the experience of an under-trained, over-muscled, overweight, old guy who is trying to go from a power athlete to an endurance athlete.

I think my heavy legs and thighs made powercranks particularly difficult, especially in regard to keeping a high cadence. This year, I plan to do most of my training on conventional cranks. However, I am buying a new set of entry level powercranks with several pedal positions and intend to experiment with shorter crank lengths to get in a better time trial position. The entry level cranks do not have the problematic adjustment system of most of the powercranks.

Just wanted to capture this entire post which does such an excellent job highlighting so many aspects of the product by a long time user.

Hugh, one thing that people need to keep in mind during all this discussion. I believe the size of the engine is important in how useful these cranks may or may not be.

Take 3 guys, with the exact same height and mass of legs except one guy is 5W per kilo, the second 4W per kilo, the 3rd 3W per kilo.

No ask them to just stand on one leg and pump their other leg up and down 90 times in a minute (or 80 times in a minute). All three guys will be expending the exact same amount of total energy moving their bodies through this exercise, yet for the 3rd guy this represents a larger percent of the joules per second that his body is able to generate.

So putting aside all the discussion the tool itself is not "equal for all". Some guys may be "penalized" more by the overhead the tool inserts and their quads might get "detrained" more because they simply cannot deliver enough blood flow and oxygen to both the pushing and the pulling side of the chain.

Meanwhile if you are Steve Larsen or Sam Gyde, you don't have the exact same overhead but there is just more remaining horsepower to do the rest of the work. If you talk to powercrank users, they'll tell you that riding along at 100-130W can feel stupidly hard and that's true because a larger portion of your effort is going to lift your legs over the top dead center and that is hardly providing any mechanical work to the road. Basically you're doing the same amount of work lifting your legs at 80 RPM when putting 130W, 260W, 390W to the road. So you can see the smaller engine rider is basically doing more input work to get a lower output.

So I'm just addressing the difference on how the tool affects riders of different "classes" of engine. Of course the same kind of applies to riders of all engine sizes on conventional cranks....it takes the same amount of energy for those very same riders to move their legs in circles at 80 RPMs on coupled cranks with a broken chain (spinning your legs in circles generating zero watts to the road). Except the mechanical advantage of conventional coupled cranks is less of an overhead penalty.

....and if the powercrank users get benefits, it is from the very overhead penalty that we say is inefficient way to cycle. As a bare minimum, it will positively help running/speed skating/XC skiing/snow shoeing etc etc...and let's say for a moment that it has zero benefit towards cycling (especially for the smaller engine guys), it should also benefit the smaller engine guys the most for the other sports, but you'd have to devise a study to analyse that hypothesis and that would be hard to control for some sports (probably easiest to control a running study).
Quote Reply

Prev Next