Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about divorce rates for triathletes but I do know that if I do end up divorced, I want to be in good enough shape to pick up a younger hottie and do stuff with her - triathlon is a way of hedging my bets.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The posts are numbered. I never noticed before........... :-)

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Til death do us part.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Velo E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velo E wrote:
If you're such a fighter, why don't you fight for your marriage, like you fight for a Kona Spot? Why don't you expend that same energy to make your marriage awesome, not just okay, but awesome?

Bingo!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Velo E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velo E wrote:
This isn't an indictment against anyone in particular, but rather against every one, myself included, in a nation where only half of us will stay married:

I know there are a lot of accomplished triathletes here on slowtwitch. A whole lot of real hard asses who would not quit an ironman if you chopped one of their legs off half-way through the run. They will train for a year to target one 8 to15 hour event (depending on how good you really are). It means you are tough, and driven, generally speaking.

As I read this thread this is the part I can't understand. If you're such a fighter, why don't you fight for your marriage, like you fight for a Kona Spot? Why don't you expend that same energy to make your marriage awesome, not just okay, but awesome? Do you value your half-assed age group 3rd place more than you value the person that promised, swore an oath, before God and your best friends, to love and cherish until death do you part? Did you not take that commitment any more seriously than your 6 am group ride? After all aren't you the person that told yourself you can do anything, and then proved it. Here is the real truth about Ironman and Divorce. You're not divorced because you're enlightened, or fit, or a new person, or you spend too much time on a treadmill. You are divorced because when the going got tough you and your spouse didn't HTFU and stick to your commitment and decide to make it better. You were satisfied to say, "oh, we went our separate ways" and that to me is not very tough or driven at all, that is a quitter.

Love is not a happy feeling, or great sex, or mutual adoration (although it can encompass all those things), first and foremost it's a commitment. The commitment you made when you got married, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. If you think you're so f***ing tough how about proving it by working to make your marriage better every day, just like you do your power numbers and your swim stroke. That's a memory you can cherish in 20 years, and its a lot warmer at night than a $5 plaque and a worn out race number.

Take a bow Velo E, that was very well said.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubletime wrote:
I don't know about divorce rates for triathletes but I do know that if I do end up divorced, I want to be in good enough shape to pick up a younger hottie and do stuff with her - triathlon is a way of hedging my bets.

Just aged up to the 50+ AG this year. My wife is 32. We have a 2-month-old daughter. The problem isn't keeping up with the younger hottie and doing stuff with her, it's staying in god enough shape to keep up with the RESULTS of doing stuff with her...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [PurdueMatt05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PurdueMatt05 wrote:
Velo E wrote:
If you're such a fighter, why don't you fight for your marriage, like you fight for a Kona Spot? Why don't you expend that same energy to make your marriage awesome, not just okay, but awesome?

Bingo!

I fought for my marriage in counseling for 3 years and worked on it for another year. I gave up. I have to live with that decision, but I felt like I would give up another decade and only teach my kids that relationships are about counseling. I told my wife when I proposed, I was proposing an idea of a life together. Through counseling, she determined my idea was a fairy tale and not reality. I am not giving up on the fairy tale.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [PurdueMatt05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PurdueMatt05 wrote:
Velo E wrote:
This isn't an indictment against anyone in particular, but rather against every one, myself included, in a nation where only half of us will stay married:

I know there are a lot of accomplished triathletes here on slowtwitch. A whole lot of real hard asses who would not quit an ironman if you chopped one of their legs off half-way through the run. They will train for a year to target one 8 to15 hour event (depending on how good you really are). It means you are tough, and driven, generally speaking.

As I read this thread this is the part I can't understand. If you're such a fighter, why don't you fight for your marriage, like you fight for a Kona Spot? Why don't you expend that same energy to make your marriage awesome, not just okay, but awesome? Do you value your half-assed age group 3rd place more than you value the person that promised, swore an oath, before God and your best friends, to love and cherish until death do you part? Did you not take that commitment any more seriously than your 6 am group ride? After all aren't you the person that told yourself you can do anything, and then proved it. Here is the real truth about Ironman and Divorce. You're not divorced because you're enlightened, or fit, or a new person, or you spend too much time on a treadmill. You are divorced because when the going got tough you and your spouse didn't HTFU and stick to your commitment and decide to make it better. You were satisfied to say, "oh, we went our separate ways" and that to me is not very tough or driven at all, that is a quitter.

Love is not a happy feeling, or great sex, or mutual adoration (although it can encompass all those things), first and foremost it's a commitment. The commitment you made when you got married, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. If you think you're so f***ing tough how about proving it by working to make your marriage better every day, just like you do your power numbers and your swim stroke. That's a memory you can cherish in 20 years, and its a lot warmer at night than a $5 plaque and a worn out race number.

Take a bow Velo E, that was very well said.

Realize, as in my case, the difference from triathlon as marriage is that triathlon is not a team event. One person can try as hard as they want..... Limp along in pain. Puke and keep moving. Wake up everyday with high hopes of a great workout. What about the other person? Their actions change the dynamics of everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
Doubletime wrote:

Just aged up to the 50+ AG this year. My wife is 32. We have a 2-month-old daughter. The problem isn't keeping up with the younger hottie and doing stuff with her, it's staying in god enough shape to keep up with the RESULTS of doing stuff with her...

This is just a joke..... But, you could have voted and then drove to the hospital the day your wife was born. Weird huh. Totally not meaning anything by this comment.... Just weird when you put it in perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the best advice I ever got: You should associate the happiest activities in your life with your spouse. If you have a hobby that your wife simply cannot stand (after giving it a legitimate chance), then find a different hobby. Mine used to be golf; I was a single digit handicap. I gave it up because it drove my wife insane. Now, I spend nearly the same amount of time (and money) running, but because she grew up in a running family, she completely supports it. I don't miss golf one bit.

You should associate the happiest activities in your life with your spouse:
Maybe that means training together, if you are in somewhat equal physical condition.
Maybe that means one spouse supports the other by going to races, etc.

I love running, but I wouldn't go to races if my wife (and kids) didn't genuinely enjoy coming to them and often participating. Of course, physical fitness is one of the things that drew us together in the first place. These posts about folks not realizing that their spouse was a couch potato until after they were already married are making me cringe. I'm no Dr. Phil, but that seems like the kind of thing that might come up while they are dating...

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting thread. I have been divorced for 13yrs, and it was a nasty one with 2 young children. I was at the time a professional athlete but not with Tri, another sport. I think that all professional athletes and or very committed amatures have something in common. The desire, the passion to win or to do your personal best.

I went to a shrink to talk things over when going through my hard times and she said something interesting to me. She said this "on the track you would run a competitor over to win, crush him if you had to, to win.......its in your blood, your dna to compete. When you come home you have to sometimes cross the finnish line together with your spouse. Don't take the race home" What she meant was that I was taking the race home to my wife...now ex-wife. That was my problem.

She said to me most marrages fail with athletes in general, not just triathletes, all athletes. What ever sport we do, we are hardcore and being a hardcore competitor at home will have difficulties.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by JThresh [ In reply to ]
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [KCTriGurl1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 years old with a 32 year old...Man you got skills brother. pics pls. If your piece is big enough and you know how to use it properly your marriage will work. I said what all the women were thinking so boys...get your pieces together if you need a male enhancement do your research.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Seahawkpride12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you out of high school yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Paulo Sousa wrote:
jharris wrote:

. I was told ironman had a 50% divorce rate.

Marriage has a 50% divorce rate.

Take the 50% divorce rate for marriage, then apply the 50% divorce rate or Ironman to those that stay married.

In other words, people doing ironman are splitting in half the success they began with only 50% possibility.

But, I am more interested in WHO asked for divorce. The spouse, or the ironman.

So 75% of Ironman finishers are divorced?

Maybe I should stay on my current team. 75% of us are still with our first spouse. I will remain so as long as I don't offer unsolicited advice to my IMAZ training wife.

~~~~~~~~~
Yours in golf,
PGA_MIKE
Couch Potato to IM SPUD in 4 years
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lschmidt wrote:
After reading this thread, I was surprised that nobody mentioned how a divorce affects your kids (for couples that do have kids), and how that should factor into your decision. It's not just about ironman and exercising. Your decision to get divorced has the greatest affect on the kids (although I've never been divorced so I can't say that with 100% certainty). I'm 25 and my parents got divorced several years ago while I was in college. I'm used to it at this point, but it still sucks and I wish it never happened. It totally screws up family relationships, not just between you and your spouse. Think about that before you get divorced.

Excellent point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your piece is big enough and you know how to use it properly your marriage will work. I said what all the women were thinking so boys…

Wow, thanks for the insight.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seahawkpride12 wrote:
If your piece is big enough and you know how to use it properly your marriage will work.

What about those of us who didn't marry a brainless rhino? Should we consider a more cerebral approach or just follow your lead and keep them tied round the back of the trailer?

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by bloodyNipples [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been happily married for 21+ years, and couldn't disagree more. My wife loves tennis, and I suck at it. She likes to walk, and recreational swim, but has no interest in endurance sports. We each need our own space, interest, and relationships (friend stuff, not the other). Interesting how different folks get the same desired results with opposite approach.

On a somewhat separate note, we've enjoyed 14+ years of the "tri life". But, I was on my "A" game for only a few years. It would not have worked if I was full speed all those years. Even when I KQ'd, I averaged only 12-13 hours/week. For me personally, and I know others that make it work, my marriage, work, family, and sanity would not survive year-after-year of 15-18 hours/week training.

I accept a challenge of "how loud I can whisper" - meaning I have a box of 6-10 hours/ week with some occasional mega blocks. But that's all I can do in my balanced life. I like to see how fast I can go within that box. Edit: I also like my sleep and relaxed downtime. I know I could squeeze out another 5 hours/week to train, but just not me anymore.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Last edited by: Freelancer: Oct 19, 13 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Freelancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Freelancer wrote:
Been happily married for 21+ years, and couldn't disagree more. My wife loves tennis, and I suck at it. She likes to walk, and recreational swim, but has no interest in endurance sports. We each need our own space, interest, and relationships (friend stuff, not the other). Interesting how different folks get the same desired results with opposite approach.

On a somewhat separate note, we've enjoyed 14+ years of the "tri life". But, I was on my "A" game for only a few years. It would not have worked if I was full speed all those years. Even when I KQ'd, I averaged only 12-13 hours/week. For me personally, and I know others that make it work, my marriage, work, family, and sanity would not survive year-after-year of 15-18 hours/week training.

I accept a challenge of "how loud I can whisper" - meaning I have a box of 6-10 hours/ week with some occasional mega blocks. But that's all I can do in my balanced life. I like to see how fast I can go within that box. Edit: I also like my sleep and relaxed downtime. I know I could squeeze out another 5 hours/week to train, but just not me anymore.

"Tennis lessons", huh? Is that what she calls it?

(Sorry, on my iPad, not sure how to make my letters pink. Totally joking.)

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daremo wrote:
If a marriage fails because of one of the people's exercise habits then there is an underlying problem that would have ended in a failed marriage regardless.

This! I was in a short lived marriage when I became a runner a few years ago. We grew apart and I saw that my husband didn't support me "paying" to run races when I could just run for myself. Our different mentality on challenging ourselves came out and we soon fell apart. I'm now in a relationship with a triathlete and its the reason I got into triathlon training in the first place! I really believe that being on a similar training schedule is the best scenario but if both people don't have the same interests, both people have to be support of the others. That is why I believe marriages do fail relating to athletic training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago, we got someone to cut our grass. I asked if we could outsource the rest of my spousal duties so I could train more...

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [wasasherpafirst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been married 24 years and completed 2 iron distance race, 5 or so marathons and tons of shorter races. My wife does not run, bike or swim. Things are very good, especially now that we have an empty nest. If you love each other and respect each other it is certainly possible. I will say I was pretty tired today, ran 12.5 then went shopping.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [TriHanrahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriHanrahan wrote:
I have been married 24 years and completed 2 iron distance race, 5 or so marathons and tons of shorter races. My wife does not run, bike or swim. Things are very good, especially now that we have an empty nest. If you love each other and respect each other it is certainly possible. I will say I was pretty tired today, ran 12.5 then went shopping.

Shopping after running for 12.5 miles??? You sir, are a machine!
Quote Reply

Prev Next