Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [SatMark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SatMark wrote:
How about if they put your "wave" number on your leg. Competitor is wave 18 and you're wave 24, then you're actually ahead by 1.5 minutes when you pass him. I'm pretty sure that I can still subtract and divide by 4, even 10 hours into an Ironman ;-)

Except that he could be behind me yet still beating me. In which case I would never see him to know that I was being passed.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:
the only way the TT system would work is the marathon corral system, sorted by swim time and not overall triathlon time. Same as a marathon, show some results and get in the corral or congo line or whatever.

I agree with this. Show some results of prior swim times, and get seeded in a corral with others of your ability.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So in a large age group where you have 300 to 400 sprinkled like pepper within 2700 people, then coming out of the water after an hour plus, You know where your compitition is? Really? If you mean to qualify then you have to know where 7-10 people are after the swim in all that. You really think you know where they are on the course most of the time?
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
300-400 is reasonable for a wave start.

If they do waves, and I think they should, they should start each AG together. It's not hard, other races do it just fine. This preserves the integrity of competing head to head in your Ag for KQ spots.

Start everyone M&F 60-65 2 min after the pro's, start everyone 66+ 2min after that then 2min 50-59 M 2min 50-59F, then 10-15 min before starting the young guns.

You get 15 or 16 hours from the last wave start to complete.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Feb 20, 13 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney, it's all totally foolish. The best way? Start everybody at once and fastest wins. But (as it would seem) I guess WTC doesn't like that way, so hence the outlandish suggestions. No need to understand them. All we really need to do is design the system we want, not put band aids on the one we don't want.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
So in a large age group where you have 300 to 400 sprinkled like pepper within 2700 people, then coming out of the water after an hour plus, You know where your compitition is? Really? If you mean to qualify then you have to know where 7-10 people are after the swim in all that. You really think you know where they are on the course most of the time?

I think we over-estimate any advantage of knowing where your AG competition is in an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is also a good way. I'd put more time between waves to prevent screw ups, at least in North America. This is not a Swiss watch. Allow for swim warm-ups and you're set. 15 hours is plenty to finish an IM. Or, start pros at 6am. Also, add a just happy to be here participant wave at the end.

6:00 male pro
6:05 lady pro
6:10 really old folks, physically challenged
6:15 big chunk of not quite so old, but still
6:30 young guns in 5min intervals of 4-500 per wave
7:00 done

desert dude wrote:

If they do waves, and I think they should, they should start each AG together. It's not hard, other races do it just fine. This preserves the integrity of competing head to head in your Ag for KQ spots.

Start everyone M&F 60-65 2 min after the pro's, start everyone 66+ 2min after that then 2min 50-59 M 2min 50-59F, then 10-15 min before starting the young guns.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the problem all goes down to people not being properly prepared for an ow swim. Examples like last year at St. George are a prime example. If they have have bad weather, chop and in water over their head it becomes a mess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and now we're talking culture and $$, which is really the root of the issue. Most people absolutely have no business in a triathlon, let alone an IM, but that's not going to change.

Brett Sutton had a good tweet about how triathlon should be for the healthy and fit but instead it's been for the hyper-intense, Type A obsessive look at me types. He might be right, but I know which one of those groups I'd generalize to have more money to spend on the sport and I bet WTC does too.

bottom line, if you want good competition, start cycling. Races every weekend, strategy and tactics at all levels, local, cheap, cash prizes for almost all the podium guys, and above all the Category system.

Kenney wrote:
Well the problem all goes down to people not being properly prepared for an ow swim. Examples like last year at St. George are a prime example. If they have have bad weather, chop and in water over their head it becomes a mess

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't even have to go to the Half or IM distance.
A few years ago at a race in tempe they said no wet suits. people were crying b/c they weren't sure they could do the sprint with out a wet suit. Before the first buoy 200m into the 600m swim people were breast stroking, back stroking hanging on canoes.

I've seen this same problem at other races in the 400-800m range. it's not IM specific.

but when you add waves, wind, chop a race that is right at head level easily becomes over their heads.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you know, you might be on to something. IM is no wetsuit, no breast stroking, no canoe. Instead of lifeguards, you have guys that hit you with oars if you slow down or stop. IOT get on the bike, where the race "really" starts, you have to do the swim course, kind of like gates at a ski area which put the super-huge hits behind some palmares proving prerequisite hits.

desert dude wrote:
A few years ago at a race in tempe they said no wet suits. people were crying b/c they weren't sure they could do the sprint with out a wet suit. Before the first buoy 200m into the 600m swim people were breast stroking, back stroking hanging on canoes.

I've seen this same problem at other races in the 400-800m range. it's not IM specific.

but when you add waves, wind, chop a race that is right at head level easily becomes over their heads.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets just put the swim last with no boaters to help ;-) but no $ that way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Isn't this actually a BIGGER problem at the shorter distances.

You get a lot more first timers, and a lot more middle aged, middle managers, with a big middle.... oh wait that is me.... at sprints than at an IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are so right.......forgot last year at our local 800yrd sprint tri, the water was to warm for wetsuits. When announced no suits poeple had such a fit and everyone kept complaining until suits were allowed. ..........................Last year I said in a thread that to be safe in an over your head water where weather conditions could be bad that someone should be at least able to swim a stand alone 100yrd 2:00 minute in perfect conditions (pool) and was crucified.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
I think this is actually a good thing for the sport. I know not everyone will like this...If I were racing, I'd want to know where my competition is throughout the race...if that's even possible - maybe, age-group wave starts would be better? But, from a safety perspective, I think this is a good thing. Many will have different opinions...reduced participants, unqualified entrants, etc.

I'd say one of the major concerns that keep new triathletes from sticking with the sport is the swim.

I don't know about this race, but if you have to choose between time trial starts and deep water mass starts I'm going to argue deep water is safer.

You have mandatory warmup vs having everyone running into the water in large groups 15 seconds apart? Yea that is going to keep the heart rate from spiking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:
this is also a good way. I'd put more time between waves to prevent screw ups, at least in North America. This is not a Swiss watch. Allow for swim warm-ups and you're set. 15 hours is plenty to finish an IM. Or, start pros at 6am. Also, add a just happy to be here participant wave at the end.

6:00 male pro
6:05 lady pro
6:10 really old folks, physically challenged
6:15 big chunk of not quite so old, but still
6:30 young guns in 5min intervals of 4-500 per wave
7:00 done

desert dude wrote:

I like your idea of reversed wave start but It would be very prudent to do a timing analysis to see where the wave conflicts/passing occurs. I'm not entirely sure where you would want to have the majority of the passing happen... lap two of the swim, T1, first 20k of the bike?

I prefer your semi-elitist idea with the following modification:
Pro Start (separate M&F)
KQ start (maybe this costs extra to prevent people from self seeding up (if you qualify the cost goes to Kona entry, else the funds go to charity or pro purse or something) and requires proof of prior near-qualifiable time)
Competitor start (this group wants to race but not vie for a KQ slot, no rolldowns)
Participator start (this group just wants to complete the event with time be damned)
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
IM KFC has been doing a TT start since day one and there has never been an issue. As long as they put the entry point a good 100-200 feet from the turn around re-entry for the second loop you will have a pretty smooth merging of traffic. The only downside is your finishers photo has a clock time that does not match your actual finish (chip) time.

If you buy a finishers photo...for 5 bucks the company will fix your finish time. $5/($650 entry fee + $30 race photo) = approximately zero. The 5 dollars was worth it to me.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [LostNTransition] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LostNTransition wrote:
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
I think this is actually a good thing for the sport. I know not everyone will like this...If I were racing, I'd want to know where my competition is throughout the race...if that's even possible - maybe, age-group wave starts would be better? But, from a safety perspective, I think this is a good thing. Many will have different opinions...reduced participants, unqualified entrants, etc.

I'd say one of the major concerns that keep new triathletes from sticking with the sport is the swim.

I don't know about this race, but if you have to choose between time trial starts and deep water mass starts I'm going to argue deep water is safer.

You have mandatory warmup vs having everyone running into the water in large groups 15 seconds apart? Yea that is going to keep the heart rate from spiking.

It's more from a lifeguarding standpoint.....someone who needs help can *potentially receive it faster.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team