Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kman74 wrote:

good point. one of the biggest things I here is people worried about getting wrestled under the water like the loch ness monster is under there. We all talk about the brutality of the swims and it makes people nervous. I am not saying we need to make every race a big safety fest but i do think that we need to evaluate certain races and pick which ones would enhance the overall experience and safety aspect of the race.

I would be more concerned about people sand bagging and saying they swim slower to make sure they have "open water" ahead of them. so lets say I avg a 1:05 swim....If I drop to the 1:20 swim (assuming there is nothing in between) and they wave start every 5 min. I could guarantee open water ahead of me and drop all the slow swimmers. worst case scenario is that I "swim up" to the group I belong to.
My understanding is that the waves will consist of about 100 people entering the water every 15 seconds. A large part of the reasoning is safety, it will make a thinner stream of swimmers so rescue can more easily spot people in trouble and to get to them.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcsxtri10 wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like this is exactly what they are going to do, the entry point will be at the far west end of the beach. From what I hear, from someone who was at the IMCDA meeting last night where this was decided, all IM events are going to this "flow" start - I would think Kona would be an exception.

Well, looks like I'm racing Challenge from now on.
_____

I think this is a real mistake for IM races to go to a TT format .... no, there is no reason to expect that to be any safer ... just conjecture. Really does kill a lot of the intrigue of the ironman events.
I won't say I'll go to Challenge .... ultratriguy would choke on his brew if I said that !!! Challenge does have a TT start format .... at least for Penticton. Does start taking away the "special" event staus of IM events though.
I will drop out of IMCDA if its a TT start ..... just sucks too much! Still time to get into the Markleeville death ride event that same week :-)

Dave

Deathride is actually July 13, 2013, but I do feel your pain :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Is there even any data that TT starts improve survival outcomes? To me, a mass start is an integral part of the race and to move away from that would be very unfortunate.

Louisville had a fatality in 2011 with a TT start. I agree that a mass start is important to the race. Everyone should get their 17 hours and the clock should read my actual time when I finish.

Quote | Reply
Why do you need a prior ironman for that process, a first timer with a swim background would be able to produce results indicative of a faster swim. I can show proof of a recent 1500 in 17:06 so that shoukd put me in the front corral.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RealAlbertan, I was going to elaborate more on the corral requests I've seen. I've never had to report a marathon time to make corral 1, just a recent race in the 10k to half marathon range.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
kman74 wrote:
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
I think this is actually a good thing for the sport. I know not everyone will like this...If I were racing, I'd want to know where my competition is throughout the race...if that's even possible - maybe, age-group wave starts would be better? But, from a safety perspective, I think this is a good thing. Many will have different opinions...reduced participants, unqualified entrants, etc.

I'd say one of the major concerns that keep new triathletes from sticking with the sport is the swim.[/quote]

good point. one of the biggest things I here is people worried about getting wrestled under the water like the loch ness monster is under there. We all talk about the brutality of the swims and it makes people nervous. I am not saying we need to make every race a big safety fest but i do think that we need to evaluate certain races and pick which ones would enhance the overall experience and safety aspect of the race.

I would be more concerned about people sand bagging and saying they swim slower to make sure they have "open water" ahead of them.
so lets say I avg a 1:05 swim....If I drop to the 1:20 swim (assuming there is nothing in between) and they wave start every 5 min. I could guarantee open water ahead of me and drop all the slow swimmers. worst case scenario is that I "swim up" to the group I belong to.

Any good swimmer knows that open water in front of them will cause them to expend a whole lot more energy "swimming up" to the next group that it's worth, they should really draft off someone for as much of the swim as possible and save that energy for later in the race. For the perfect strategy, I say go into the group that's just a little faster than you and hook up on the heels of one of those guys/gals and ride them all the way home!

I'm racing with a friend who is a better swimmer than I am. We already have plans for me to be on his feet the entire swim. :-)

Sponsored By Jack and Adams Bicycles
Austin, TX
http://www.jackandadams.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
I've done a lot of IMs, at different venues, and for whatever reason, CDA remains the most brutal swim for me. I've done the race several times and feel like I wrestle more than swim, and never get clear water. I'd welcome any attempt to spread us out.

I've done dozens of short course races, at least a dozen HIMs, and 5 IMs (all different) and IMCDA is the only race where I've had a panic attack in the swim. Although I made it out of the water and came back to a top ten AG finish, it was scary enough that I never had any intention of repeating that course. Notwithstanding the folks who think it's degrading the event, I would reconsider going back if they went to a TT wave start. As for tradition, Ironman did not traditionally have the mega starting fields they do today.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [Blazier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found the main issue last year was that they wouldn't let the AG wave onto the beach until the last pro finished their first swim loop.

I remember looking at my watch at 6:51 and still standing in line in the transition, I think 2800 athletes had about 7-8 minutes to line them selves up for race start. This was an absolute cluster f**k!!!

Having not done an IM in 4 years I went the furthest you could go to the right (almost the last swimmer) and swam line of sight to the first buoy. I am not a fast swimmer, but OK for my AG (swam 1:02) starting at the right I didn't touch one person for 800m (first buoy) and got there in OK time, around 12 min and change.

The issues started after the first buoy but if I had of swam 5 meters wide instead of going in tight I would have been fine. The crowding issues weren't that much worse than other IM's I've raced.

The main issue I think for a lot of people was that due to the pro time start the AGers didn't have enough time to properly self seed themselves, they could solve this by bumping the pro start time back to 6 am,

My 2C
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so no swim cutoff then?

i'd wait to be last and have a day full of drafting! JK

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Houston verifies the data too for the corals.

My Blog | Twitter | Big Pistachio Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it the mass start , lack of proper warmup, cold water that caused that?

I'm planning on swiming ~48 at Whistler so I know I'll be out ahead, if we have a TT start I'll have to get in early to avoid the crowd on lap 1 and lap 2 will be interesting.

Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcsxtri10 wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like this is exactly what they are going to do, the entry point will be at the far west end of the beach. From what I hear, from someone who was at the IMCDA meeting last night where this was decided, all IM events are going to this "flow" start - I would think Kona would be an exception.

Well, looks like I'm racing Challenge from now on.

_____

I think this is a real mistake for IM races to go to a TT format .... no, there is no reason to expect that to be any safer ... just conjecture. Really does kill a lot of the intrigue of the ironman events.
I won't say I'll go to Challenge .... ultratriguy would choke on his brew if I said that !!! Challenge does have a TT start format .... at least for Penticton. Does start taking away the "special" event staus of IM events though.
I will drop out of IMCDA if its a TT start ..... just sucks too much! Still time to get into the Markleeville death ride event that same week :-)

Dave

-----

I'd also buy you a beer or three if you showed up in Penticton..

This year will be an interesting one for Challenge Penticton and I don't think it would be out of order to see two waves this year if the numbers are low enough..One wave for solos and one for teams....As for Ironman and these supposed swim changes,I can't say that I am surprised as they have had lots of bad press when it comes to thier swims in the last couple of years.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why aren't all Ironman distance events "in water" floating starts? eg: IMAZ, '10-'12 St. George
Doesn't this type of start help self-seed? Easiest and most non-combative swim of my life was 2010 IMSG. No contact whatsoever during the swim. (ended up 53:xx) However - when looking towards the beach after the start, it looked like half the participants were still on land freaking out about the cold temps.
I think this has me the most nervous about Tahoe. Not the elevation or temps, but the run-in swim start. Ankle spraining, cutting your foot on something from the bottom, being trampled...nightmares. Not a way to start a long day of racing. If I walk in, then I have to swim around/over all the runners and tall dudes. Seems like all the horror stories from IMCDA will be replayed at Tahoe.
However, the time trial start seems like the worst idea. The mass start is an awesome experience - if done while floating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I said that it's difficult to predict your time especially if you are not a swimmer doing your first IM. If you are a swimmer then it's easy-er :)

realAlbertan wrote:
Why do you need a prior ironman for that process, a first timer with a swim background would be able to produce results indicative of a faster swim. I can show proof of a recent 1500 in 17:06 so that shoukd put me in the front corral.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
This would actually be very good if they also made it a single loop swim.

Agreed. The lake is huge. No reason it is not a single loop swim. I live in Spokane and part of the reason I don't compete in this event is due to the horror stories I've heard about this swim (among other reasons). I am signed up for Whistler, however, so I'm sure I'll experience something like CDA during the swim up in BC.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you could figure out a formula. My 5k PR is under an hour so I'm good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blazier wrote:
Please tell me this isn't true, have people heard about IMCDA going to a "time trial" type of start?

There has been some rumbling that IMCDA will go to a flow based start where you pick a start flow time based on what time you think you will finish the swim. Faster swimmers go out in the first "flow" and then next fastest, etc. Based on your projected swim time you cross the mat and get in the water. Clock starts when you cross the mat. Great for fast swimmers but that 2nd loop could be really ugly when you try to swim over the slower swimmers that are just getting into the water for their first loop.

What is your source for this?

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a MOP IM swimmer from a total field perspective -- better than MOP for my AG. I did get a decent warm-up at IMCDA but attribute my panic to a combination of the crowded beach start and placing myself too aggressively on the line-up. I was gunning for Kona and went out too hard. Subsequently, I have looked for IMs with in-water starts or smaller fields.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch the only place where people bitch about drafting and ask for wave starts then bitch about possible wave starts.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
I think this is actually a good thing for the sport. I know not everyone will like this...If I were racing, I'd want to know where my competition is throughout the race...if that's even possible - maybe, age-group wave starts would be better? But, from a safety perspective, I think this is a good thing. Many will have different opinions...reduced participants, unqualified entrants, etc.

I'd say one of the major concerns that keep new triathletes from sticking with the sport is the swim.

I 100% agree. I will even go one step further and say they should have a competitive wave. Pro men, pro women, AG competitive wave, then AG waves.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA "Time Trial" Start [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well everyone here is a good swimmer with impeccable judgement when on the bike. It's just all the other swimmers that get in the way, get into trouble or otherwise cause problems. Duh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of an old saying (which I've modified): The only thing ST'ers hate worse than change, is when things stay the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Slowtwitch the only place where people bitch about drafting and ask for wave starts then bitch about possible wave starts.

^^^ THIS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Perhaps you have not considered that not every STer has the same opinion.

What is the validity behind this rumor? Did someone associated with the event comment or is this just some 'friend of a friend who heard it from a guy' type of thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extend the beach start width and we might not have a huge problem. I have done CDA in 2011/2012 and last year was far worse. Canada swim is nothing like CDA as the beach is very wide, replicate that. The beach in CDA is huge, take advantage of it. I understand there is the "pole", put orange padding around it and we are good to go. WTC is getting bad press so I would think all Ironman races will follow suit. We shall see
Quote Reply

Prev Next