Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
So, currently we have the Open Letter to unsupportive spouses with a lot of response.

I was most curious when I read AndyPants's response and basically that ironman changed her. She became more aware of what she wanted and needed and decided her relationship was not going to cut it anymore.

So, I then wondered... Is this the common scenerio? I always thought it was the unsupportive spouse that couldn't put up the the racrs training and lack of time at home. I never thought it was the racer who found they grew apart from their spouse.

So, give me the 411. I was told ironman had a 50% divorce rate, on top of marriage already having only 50% success rate. Let's inspect a little into this matter.

As Ben Franklin once said, "Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, and half-shut afterwards."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Velo E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if you were directing this at me, or not.

I agree with you in principal - marriage takes work and we should be doing everything we can to make it work over the long term. After all, that's what we said in the vows, right!

However, in practice and in real life, it obviously does not work out that way. I agree with you that many couples throw in the towel way too soon and we seem to be in a time and age when everything is disposable - marriages to. If you don't like what you have, just chuck it and get something shiny and new! But sometimes after all is said and done, and you have tried and done everything you can, things still get off the rails . . . what then?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
My experience, after 30 years of marriage, is if folks do not find things they share, then when the kids leave for college, a much larger percentage of folks are getting divorced now.

True.

There is a large wave of tale-end of the baby-boom people who have been married, have "stayed together for the kids" then ounce they are empty-nesters they get divorced very soon after the last kid goes off to college or leaves the family home. In fact, on college campuses there is a cottage industry of counselors having to deal with, the kids of these parents, who are now terribly guilt ridden, now realizing there parents, lived perhaps many many years through a loveless marriage, just for them. Also, because role-modelling in the home is so potent and powerful, these kids also may have odd or different ideas of what is a great, close and intimate relationship, depending on how good or bad their parents acting abilities are.

Few married couples getting divorced consider the impacts on their children. Depending on what happens, they can be either heavily or subtly impacted, with some pretty serious long term ramifications.

Here's four scenarios:

1. Happily married couple, everything 100% good staying together forever. Typically and as one would suspect, this gives kids the best opportunity.

2. The amicable divorce, where lines of communication are always good, kids needs in the divorce are always put first - kids fair almost as good in this situation as in #1

3. The bad divorce - where the bitterness, and bad communication just go on and on and on, even years after the divorce - there has been noted and significant issues with many kids from this scenario.

4. The Stick-It-Out-For-The-Kids option: Sounds good on paper, but as noted above, role-modeling is a powerful influencer and learning situation for kids. They pick up on everything and see everything going on in the home. Unless you both are Academy Award winning actors, some not-so-good messaging and role-modelling will be picked up on. The kids will think that your contrived idea of a marriage is normal. If they have been fooled, then you get the trauma-delayed impact noted above in college or shortly after they leave home!

I have been working on #2 for many years. It has not been easy. It's had it's challenges. I've had to relearn a lot of things and lean a lot about myself. Set many things aside, delay and put-off many others. And first and foremost, keep the needs of my son, always in the forefront of what I do. Over the long term it's been worth it for him, and for me.

How's it working for her over the long term?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [kabacrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In what way?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck,

No, I wasn't replying to you specifically. You were just the last person on the thread to post when I started writing my reply so I hit the reply button on your post. Like I said in wasn't an indictment against anyone in particular but rather us, the 50%culture, as a whole. I know that marriages, like all relationships can deteriorate to being seemingly impossible (kind of like an Ironman, also seemingly impossible). I was just disgusted that the general tone in two pages of the thread was one of passive neglect towards marriage and like you pointed out, an attitude that it can just be thrown out when it no longer suits them.

Sorry for any confusion, Velo E
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Freelancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your story was great and all, but what I'm dying to know is whether you've ever qualified for Kona.

Mediocre Athlete: Stumbling across the finish line since 2008.
http://www.mediocreathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck

As far as what then? Well, I am happily married, not divorced so I do not have a plan for and have not been faced with "what then"? Planning for it seems to me to be counter productive. I'll keep trying to plan against it instead if I can.

But still, what then? I say that you keep plugging away, loving your spouse the best you can, every day that you can. Am I man enough to do that in the face of brutal adversity? Well, I hope so. I hope I am that tough. I plan to be that tough. We won't know for sure if I am that tough until either she or I die proving it.

I will say this though, I work out about 10 hours a week, which I know is a low number for all the "animals" here on slowtwitch. Now if my marriage started to come apart and I spent those 10 hours just thinking about how I can make my marriage better, and acting on those thoughts, with just those ten hours I am sure I could turn it around. If I used those ten hours per week to show my wife why she was so special to me that I decided to commit the rest of my life to her, I'm sure I could convince her. I am sure that if we would put that same "never say die attitude" towards our marriages that we do to going 112 miles in a circle (which sounds kind of ridiculous when you put it that way), the divorce rate would drop dramatically. Especially in a crowd as tough as this one thinks it is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

In what way?

"Over the long term it's been worth it for him, and for me."

In 'that' way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velo E wrote:
Fleck

As far as what then? Well, I am happily married, not divorced so I do not have a plan for and have not been faced with "what then"? Planning for it seems to me to be counter productive. I'll keep trying to plan against it instead if I can.

But still, what then? I say that you keep plugging away, loving your spouse the best you can, every day that you can. Am I man enough to do that in the face of brutal adversity? Well, I hope so. I hope I am that tough. I plan to be that tough. We won't know for sure if I am that tough until either she or I die proving it.

I will say this though, I work out about 10 hours a week, which I know is a low number for all the "animals" here on slowtwitch. Now if my marriage started to come apart and I spent those 10 hours just thinking about how I can make my marriage better, and acting on those thoughts, with just those ten hours I am sure I could turn it around. If I used those ten hours per week to show my wife why she was so special to me that I decided to commit the rest of my life to her, I'm sure I could convince her. I am sure that if we would put that same "never say die attitude" towards our marriages that we do to going 112 miles in a circle (which sounds kind of ridiculous when you put it that way), the divorce rate would drop dramatically. Especially in a crowd as tough as this one thinks it is!

Epic and awesome! Thank you.! I think Ill go do something special for my Wife and Kids tonight!
FTW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velo E wrote:

Preach it!!

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What folks need to do is put Ironman in perspective for their spouses. I think the only time my wife's been systemically pissed at me is when I STOPPED IMs and IM training (or, really, any kind of training) for six months and played World of Warcraft non-stop instead... When I quit WoW cold turkey on Valentine's Day and asked her if she wanted to join my fat ass for a run (to start training for an IM 5 months hence), she couldn't have been happier...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points about "when the kids go off to college". I think a lot about that as my son is 2 years away. We were just meeting with old friends who had their youngest go off and we both asked, "are you missing the action around the house", and they replied along the lines of "yes, but now it is about us again. There are a lot of things that we wanted to do for us that we put on hold for many years, that we can go do together. We built something good with the kids, and now we can celebrate some that, just the 2 of us". Well, I hope that it us, when the time comes. My friends seemed and felt very fulfilled with that stage in life and raising a family had brought them closer together as they worked on many life goals together. Like a team it was like they won the Stanley cup and now they are doing the victory parade. I thought that was cool. We both admire that couple and their approach to life. Nothing in life is certain, but I guess it requires work every day in some way or another.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I thought that was cool. We both admire that couple and their approach to life. Nothing in life is certain, but I guess it requires work every day in some way or another.

^^^^^^^^^
This - nothing comes for free, "work" for a marriage isn't always hard to do. :)

30 years in October, some bumpy spots, but the IM training hasn't been a negative at all, we (both) like to travel, and IM certainly creates a focal point to start a trip - then you make sure the rest of the trip is about the two of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velo E wrote:
This isn't an indictment against anyone in particular, but rather against every one, myself included, in a nation where only half of us will stay married:

I know there are a lot of accomplished triathletes here on slowtwitch. A whole lot of real hard asses who would not quit an ironman if you chopped one of their legs off half-way through the run. They will train for a year to target one 8 to15 hour event (depending on how good you really are). It means you are tough, and driven, generally speaking.

As I read this thread this is the part I can't understand. If you're such a fighter, why don't you fight for your marriage, like you fight for a Kona Spot? Why don't you expend that same energy to make your marriage awesome, not just okay, but awesome? Do you value your half-assed age group 3rd place more than you value the person that promised, swore an oath, before God and your best friends, to love and cherish until death do you part? Did you not take that commitment any more seriously than your 6 am group ride? After all aren't you the person that told yourself you can do anything, and then proved it. Here is the real truth about Ironman and Divorce. You're not divorced because you're enlightened, or fit, or a new person, or you spend too much time on a treadmill. You are divorced because when the going got tough you and your spouse didn't HTFU and stick to your commitment and decide to make it better. You were satisfied to say, "oh, we went our separate ways" and that to me is not very tough or driven at all, that is a quitter.

Love is not a happy feeling, or great sex, or mutual adoration (although it can encompass all those things), first and foremost it's a commitment. The commitment you made when you got married, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. If you think you're so f***ing tough how about proving it by working to make your marriage better every day, just like you do your power numbers and your swim stroke. That's a memory you can cherish in 20 years, and its a lot warmer at night than a $5 plaque and a worn out race number.

You said it better than I could.

20 years together, married 16. We were out of shape when we got married, had kids, got in shape and have trained for our respective events alongside one another. As our children get older and break into their own sports, we share a love of watching them go and chase their dreams.

Love, respect and mutual admiration for what we hold dearest (our marriage and our children) will ALWAYS win out over a workout. Always.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Now if my marriage started to come apart and I spent those 10 hours just thinking about how I can make my marriage better, and acting on those thoughts, with just those ten hours I am sure I could turn it around. If I used those ten hours per week to show my wife why she was so special to me that I decided to commit the rest of my life to her, I'm sure I could convince her.

I admire your attitude and conviction. Just don't be so certain that things would work out the way you think. You'd be doing this as your marriage started to come apart, and that's the onset of crazy time. There are lots of ways marriages can come apart, and in some of them even the most well-intentioned spouse(s) will not be able to stop the collapse, even if they want to.

Anyway, keep on enjoying your marriage and family!

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Like a team it was like they won the Stanley cup and now they are doing the victory parade.

for us (starting next fall), it will be more a case of "the swim is over, now we can get on with the easy, fun parts" :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAHAHAHAHA! Right on.

Maui5150 wrote:
I got into triathlon to keep me busy enough so I did not do something stupid like getting married again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A strong relationship is built on trust, respect, support, love and of course fun. If a triathlete's relationship breaks down, it's not because of triathlons, it's because there was a loss of respect, support, trust, love or fun. Blaming anything other than that is just a smoke screen denying reality.

Quote | Reply
Thank you, I need this reminder every once in awhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velo E wrote:
You're not divorced because you're enlightened, or fit, or a new person, or you spend too much time on a treadmill. You are divorced because when the going got tough you and your spouse didn't HTFU and stick to your commitment and decide to make it better. You were satisfied to say, "oh, we went our separate ways" and that to me is not very tough or driven at all, that is a quitter.

Love is not a happy feeling, or great sex, or mutual adoration (although it can encompass all those things), first and foremost it's a commitment. The commitment you made when you got married, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. If you think you're so f***ing tough how about proving it by working to make your marriage better every day, just like you do your power numbers and your swim stroke. That's a memory you can cherish in 20 years, and its a lot warmer at night than a $5 plaque and a worn out race number.

I think your post was well said. I will add, that many of the 50% of failed marriages fail because of nothing more complicated than run of the mill selfishness. Marriage is a partnership. The marriage partnership has interests of its own, separate from the individual interests of the partners. Thankfully, what is in the best interest of a partner is frequently in the best interest of the partnership, but not always. When one or both partners regularly put their own interests ahead of the interests of the partnership, the relationship breaks down. Both partners need to be willing to HTFU and sacrifice some of their own selfish ambition and pursuits at the alter.

4 kids and going on 18 years. My wife and I are total opposites. Marriage is hard to do. Suck it up buttercup.

Panabax

We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.—Robert Wilensky
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally disagree. I do not train together--wifey & I go two totally different paces. This is an unrealistic & unscientifically proven statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Panabax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Panabax wrote:

I think your post was well said. I will add, that many of the 50% of failed marriages fail because of nothing more complicated than run of the mill selfishness. Marriage is a partnership. The marriage partnership has interests of its own, separate from the individual interests of the partners. Thankfully, what is in the best interest of a partner is frequently in the best interest of the partnership, but not always. When one or both partners regularly put their own interests ahead of the interests of the partnership, the relationship breaks down. Both partners need to be willing to HTFU and sacrifice some of their own selfish ambition and pursuits at the alter.

4 kids and going on 18 years. My wife and I are total opposites. Marriage is hard to do. Suck it up buttercup.

Thank you for this post.
And not to nitpick on OP, but everyone seems to cite this 50% divorce rate. It's really closer to 40%.
Last edited by: captcandybars: Sep 17, 12 20:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daremo wrote:
If a marriage fails because of one of the people's exercise habits then there is an underlying problem that would have ended in a failed marriage regardless.
I think your very right ,I have seen 2 friends marriages end because of so called ironman but all us friends were well aware of the underlying issues.

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My post in the other thread (so you don't have to try and find it):
-------
I, as a womens who has been in this sport for 12+ yrs and who ended a marriage (his reason: Ironman; my reason: we grew apart and you didn't like who I became, fair nuff) pretty much here on ST, I am really torn by all the posts, especially the last one from the OP re: kids. I was going to ignore the whole thread but now I can't.

Triathlon is by its very nature a solo sport. We may train with others, but come race day, on the field of battle, it is every person for themselves. And while we are a welcoming bunch, we are also a very driven and competitive bunch, even if we only compete with ourselves. But when we are an A-type and our spouse is not, as soon as we discover this sport FULL of A-types like us, and we devote all our attention and efforts to this new thing, why are we surprised when they don't like it? or act supportive? It changes the entire dynamic of the relationship. Of course they aren't going to be supportive. Why on earth would you think they would be? Asking them to try and be supportive isn't going to work unless they are similarly minded, likewise constructed, and understand their partner for who they really are , well it just ain't gonna work.

Sometimes we enter relationships when we have a firm grasp of who we are, what makes us tick, what we love and what we hate. Many times we don't - we are naive, we think a chid or 3 will make it all work out, we hope that counselling or restricting activities we find truly satisfying will help carry the relationship.

It never does.

I honestly have come to believe that we end relationships often because we realize that we have been less than truthful about WHO WE REALLY ARE, instead being WHO WE THINK WE SHOULD BE. And triathlon, as such an individual sport, we find a space to find out WHO WE REALLY ARE. And if WHO WE REALLY ARE != WHO WE THINK WE SHOULD BE then whomever is our partner is bound to suffer. IN Japanese, we call it hansei, it is a time and space for reflection. This solo sport we all love affords us the time and space for such reflection. It also affords us the individual challenges against which we pit ourselves. Against which we test ourselves. Against which we find out just how strong, how powerful, how determined we are.

And this is how we find out WHO WE REALLY ARE.

Here endeth the lesson.

AP
--------

I stand by this.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
I don't see the perspective of having to have the spouse follow along to races or participate in other hobbies. A married person is allowed to have their own life and in a secure marriage the spouse shouldn't be so needy as to have to have the other participate in all their activities. It's nice once in a while yes. Necessary? No.

OTOH, bitching about the spouses hobbies and inhibiting participation is a big No No. Been going strong 22 years of marriage this way.

So well put! Totally agree.
Quote Reply

Prev Next