Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Slowman = Censorship [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]

Look at the posts where people are legitimately asking questions about fit, products, aero, etc., and I think you get a very informed answer. The problem is that for the most part people get stuck on the posts about Lance, Finman, etc. and it turns into an internet flame war.

If you ask the right questions, then the answers are here. If you want to argue about Lance, it is just like any other internet forum.

Re: Slowman = Censorship [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]

refer to the link I provided. Like I said, companies are going after defamatory posters fairly regularly.

Re: Slowman = Censorship [peterot] [ In reply to ]

Reminds me of this:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0moderators;#3290203

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .

peterot wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
87 posts, wonder how many more you will be able to make.

Wouldnt that prove my point.

The point is unless you own this site, you have no legal right to do anything about what the owners want to do. Pretty much everything in live is the owner does not want to serve you, they do not have to.
So, what is your point again?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep

peterot wrote:
You wanna bet. And the posts being deleted are hardly trashy or douchbaggy. Please, this forum is full of tight asses and couldnt even get out of control if it wanted to.

Why do we want to be at the point that legal systems have to be the make or break for the forum? Shouldnt decency (spelling) and common sense be what dictates a forum. Why are you wanting to push the buttons so to speak. It's as if you want to be free simply to see how far that freedom is. Which I guess is part of the issues I see with most internet forums. Respect at times seems to be lost.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com

Well there it is Dan. Someone who posts on Stockhouse says that you have no legal exposure over your content. What is finman's real name again?
Last edited by: ajthomas: Aug 27, 12 14:41

what ever happened to the other blog? Will I be banned for mentioning it? Yeah totally agree but still, though on my third screen name keep coming back, unfortunately this is the best tri forum though rules are screwy and arbitrary, like, dont post about womens health issues or try to have political discussions in the womens forum. Swear wont look again but keep coming back much as there is to not like.

Adios

Re: Slowman = Censorship [type-B] [ In reply to ]

That is a perfect example of a post that should have been left alone. The more recent example of Slowman censorship was when a discussion developed about Callenge Penticton and Slowman set parameters about how and what people could discuss and they just agreed with him like he was Father and they were two year old children. It was sad. And the entire motivation was to protect his own story on the topic, which was very disappointing.

Re: Slowman = Censorship [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]

I don't mind Slowman deleting actual posts if they're innapropriate, but I'm not a fan of deleting/locking of threads. Being a Chicago guy, I was curious to see how this whole thing played out. Now, we'll probably never know.

But I guess Slowtwitch does bank some good money, so has to keep it clean: http://www.worthofweb.com/...value/slowtwitch.com

peterot wrote:
I just took a peak at the Chicago cheating thread and the first message I see is another message by judge, jury and executioner (aka Slowman). Holy Faq I am not sure why you feel the need. If people are out of line let the legal system deal with them. The forum I view most often is Stockhouse and it is actually quit common that companies to take legal action against posters. You dont see power hunger moderators taking over and getting involved. The only threads/posts deleted are spam and all else goes. It is very refreshing compared to Slowtwitch in that regard. Given the forum is about the stock market and people losing and making money you can just imagine how negative things can get on there.

Please, if a post is out of line or illegal than let the legal system deal with it and stay the faq out of it. This goes to your staffers as well. You have no legal obligation to censor the forum like you do. If you feel you have some sort of moral or ethical obligation, get over it. The most evil things put on this forum would be consider light-hearted on Stockhouse and many other forums.

It seems almost every thread i read now there is something censored.

STOP THE CENSORSHIP

http://www.stockwatch.com/...bol=WND&region=C

to which I say If you really have a problem with how the forum is run you are welcome to GTFO....Get The F*** Out. Its Dan's sand box and I'm sure he would be happy to return your forum fee and cancel your account.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

Another complaint by another anonymous poster. If you don't have the decency to at least post your name, then maybe you should form your own tri forum where anonymous witch hunts are allowed/encouraged. Good luck with that...

Mike

Bottom line, slowtwitch is privately owned. Dan's site, Dan's rules. If you don't like it, you are certainly free to not frequent the boards.

Oh, and if you are going to get anywhere in your argument, I suggest you:

a) post your real name.
b) learn to spell and/or use the correct homonym.
c) get the balls to fucking swear rather than use some cutesy acronym like you're 12.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

Dan is kind of like Will Munny. He is cool and all until you kill his friend and put him in a box on Main Street. Then, he goes ape shit and starts killing people all over the place.

Re: Slowman = Censorship [type-B] [ In reply to ]

type-B wrote:
o'rly?

Re: Slowman = Censorship [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]

lol. . .on my old car forum that would have been the second post.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .

Re: Slowman = Censorship [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]

Maui5150 wrote:
You don't like it... then there's the door. Bye Bye

+1

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca

peterot wrote:
Please, if a post is out of line or illegal than let the legal system deal with it and stay the faq out of it. This goes to your staffers as well. You have no legal obligation to censor the forum like you do.

I am unsure of the law in the USA but in Australia the Forum owner is the person that is legally responsible for posts on their forum.

I personally think Dan can be a dickhead some of the time but it's his forum and he can do what he wants. So more power to him. As others have said if you don't like it, start your own.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.

peterot wrote:
Stockhouse is full of people doing illegal things. It is a dirty dirty forum but really useful if you are into trading stocks, particularly day trading. Even biggest scum bags provide valuable information. That is my point. All info provided is useful in some way to someone. If it is illegal it can be dealt with by the proper authorities.

I disagree with your analogy, and I hope my explanation might provide some insight about why we choose to moderate the way we do.

Generally, if you want to make use of the information on a forum like Stockhouse, it's your own money that you're risking. A forum like Stockhouse is sort of the ultimate expression of "publicly available information being taken into consideration in the price of a security." Personally, I think it's also part of the reason why volatility indices have gotten so f'ed up in recent years, and why valuation of a lot of things - especially commodities, which really ought to have a more "rational" value - is so insane. But that's more Lavender Room territory.

But, generally, there's a pretty objective to evaluate past predictive performance. And, further, the risk is shouldered by you as the investor that chooses to make use - or not - of the information you find on stockhouse. YOUR money is on the line.

In the case of trial by internet here, it's rarely - if ever - your money (or even your reputation) that's on the line. It's that of a race, or a race director, or an athlete, or bike company, etc. There's no real skin in the game. Your race experience is not substantially affected by whether another participant cheated. So even if the information is accurate, it's still not necessarily "useful" to most people other than in a strictly voyeuristic way. Yes, you want to know if someone cheated. But you don't really derive any actual value from knowing it.

Moderating a forum like Stockhouse is necessarily impossible, because in order for it to function in a reasonably fair way, you basically have to allow everything. It's not fair to delete a post that says, "I'm short on XYZ you ignorant motherfucker," while leaving a post that says, "I'm long on XYZ. Have a nice day." But that same logic doesn't apply here. Decorum does matter here. Truth does matter here. We're not going to allow trial by internet because there's not necessarily a corresponding "free market" to actually sort things out in "the real world."

Stockhouse doesn't censor stuff because you are most likely to screw yourself based on bad information there. We do censor stuff because you are most likely to screw someone else based on bad information here. That's why, for example, this post is not being censored (yet; if it is, it will ONLY be because it becomes a re-hash of the Chicago threads, as often happens). Though I think you might have been better off posting it here - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=1566945#1566945

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp

Re: Slowman = Censorship [PJC] [ In reply to ]

PJC wrote:
peterot wrote:

Please, if a post is out of line or illegal than let the legal system deal with it and stay the faq out of it. This goes to your staffers as well. You have no legal obligation to censor the forum like you do.

I am unsure of the law in the USA but in Australia the Forum owner is the person that is legally responsible for posts on their forum.

I personally think Dan can be a dickhead some of the time but it's his forum and he can do what he wants. So more power to him. As others have said if you don't like it, start your own.

Read the petswarehouse.com lawsuit sometime for what can happen to people that disparage on the intertubes.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

i don't know if you expected to be banned or not for this thread, but, no, you're not banned, because you said nothing that warrants a ban. furthermore, there's nothing about this thread that requires any censorship.

but when i and my moderators, in our sole judgment, think a thread or a post or a user is out of line or inappropriate, we'll do what we feel is best. your protestations are not going to change that. period.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

His site, his rules.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)

Re: Slowman = Censorship [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]

Rappstar wrote:
Though I think you might have been better off posting it here - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=1566945#1566945

FTW!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?

Re: Slowman = Censorship [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]

word ;-)

you guys behave yourselves or i'm going to get all will munny on you. and your families. and all your friends.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Prev Next