Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [KoNP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought some football jerseys off this site. There is no difference between the "authentic" Nike jerseys and the ones sold on this site, however I don't know if the same would go for the zipps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, in all likelihood they're not 808s......they're FAKE-08's. I've never ordered via DHGate so I can't be sure - but it seems quite obvious you're paying for what looks like an 808.

Just like a woman buying a fake Gucci purse - it may well LOOK like the real thing at first glance. But dig deeper and you may find some discrepancy - in form and function.

KoNP wrote:

how can that be right?

a pair of 808s for 600 bucks?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [AndrewG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most likely, but there is only one way we can find out. I think you should buy a set and let us all know... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KoNP wrote:

how can that be right?

a pair of 808s for 600 bucks?

They're just the same open mold carbon clinchers being sold super cheap on the internet with zipp stickers slapped on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [bbrisket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has the potential to be 100% legit. I purchase and trade with many over seas clients. Sometimes the products are 100% OEM products. For example with certain electronics I can purchase 30-40% of what i can purchase in the USA from my vendors. Exact same products shipped from the exact same address. The only difference is the box and branding. I am not saying these are legit and likely do not have the Zipp Manufacturer's warranty. Best thing to do is email/call the vendor and get a model number and serial number. Then call Zipp with that info and say you just purchased them.

For example I know of a "fairy" that can purchase genuine Shimano Di2 from about $1,120.00 USD with a genuine Shimano serial number and warranty :)
Fuji and Trek frames the same way :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can tell from the closeup photos that they aren't OEM Zipps. No dimples.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [godseyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes those are not! But yes you can find Zipp Firecrest 808 on the grey market! If you know where to look you can find them for about 20-25% cheaper than dealer costs
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [ClarkieCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got these from Farsports about two weeks ago and rode them a couple times without the cover. I got the wheel cover yesterday, just finished putting it on and I'm going to ride as soon as things dry up outside;

Here's my ten year old bike with my cheap wheels

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Kestrel's :)

how much did you pay and please let us know how you like them.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [So-Awesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't get in the ride today. Just as I was going out the door another storm was rolling in. So I ran for 42 minutes and finished just as the rain came down. I'll do a ride in the morning and report back. I chose Farsports; http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=731 because their rims have a basalt breaking surface and the advertised weight is better than the other 88mm wheels. Mine came in at 1790g and the cut down wheel cover is 270g. My center pull front/ side pull rear Campy brakes work better with the supplied brake pads on the basalt surface than they did with the standard pads on alu. The brake track is 21mm wide so I guess you could call these semi-wide. With the 88mm rims front and rear the front end got light when I was passed by a truck going 40 mph downhill but no worse than the old Spinergy RevX wheels used to be. I expect the wheel cover to add stability in the wind. I'll let you know tomorrow. The wheels surprised me by being good climbers; with reasonably light wieght and deep wheel aerodynamics I went up one of my regular hills faster than ever.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the RevX - I still like the old school look. Some of the people that see them when I need an occassional old school moment and decide to rock them would actually pay me more than I paid almost 10 years ago....... They look cool but I don't trust them over 35 mph....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hubs are novatec on those fake zipp from taiwan so far from being real zipp.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took them out today. It was nice. It was fast. It was a perfect disc day; I rode east and west on the Long Island Expressway service road and the wind was from the north west, strong at times, variable and blustery. The bike was fine, it would lean sometimes and drift sometimes but it was a controllable fast (for me right now) ride. I did this same ride twice last week, first time with regular road wheels and tires and regular road helmet at 17.5 average speed, the next day I did it with the new wheels, Mich Pro3 tires and latex tubes and a LG aero helmet at 17.8. Today I added the disc cover and again with the aero helmet and the wind at 18.2. The wind always makes a disc wheel ride faster but if the bike was unstable I would have been slower.

My old race wheels were an 808 front and a Renn Medeara disc, both tubular. I didn't feel any appreciable difference in the handling or ride between my new budget set-up and my old one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
I didn't get in the ride today. Just as I was going out the door another storm was rolling in. So I ran for 42 minutes and finished just as the rain came down. I'll do a ride in the morning and report back. I chose Farsports; http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=731 because their rims have a basalt breaking surface and the advertised weight is better than the other 88mm wheels. Mine came in at 1790g and the cut down wheel cover is 270g. My center pull front/ side pull rear Campy brakes work better with the supplied brake pads on the basalt surface than they did with the standard pads on alu. The brake track is 21mm wide so I guess you could call these semi-wide.

What's the story on the basalt braking surface? Do you use pads for aluminum brake track or carbon brake track?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What's the story on the basalt braking surface?"

I don't know. I read in the huge thread on RoadBikeReview.com that it worked, and it does. As I wrote above, the Campy brakes work better on the carbon wheels than the aluminum.

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [bbrisket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yeah I had never seen them either. I did some searching through the threads and haven't seen any comments on the aluminum clinchers with carbon fairings. I'd like to lace a PT into one, but I'd like to see if anyone has bought a pair of these before I give them a shot.

I'm quite interested in this as well. I'd really like a pair of C2 Jet 6's with PowerTap, but can't justify the $. I would have purchased a set of the Flo's, but they don't have a rim compatible with a PowerTap, and since they use a fairing (as does HED), the spoke hole location in the fairing is slightly different for the taller PowerTap hub flange. I just had a chat session with Yoeleo, and these are not fairings, the carbon is structural and supports the spoke nipple as on older Zipps. So no issue to lace in a PowerTap. However, these are only 20mm wide, and if I'm gonna buy new wheels, I'd really like to try the wider rims.

Has anybody seen any wider Chinese aluminum/carbon rims?

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like Farsport has some on their website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
"What's the story on the basalt braking surface?"

I don't know. I read in the huge thread on RoadBikeReview.com that it worked, and it does. As I wrote above, the Campy brakes work better on the carbon wheels than the aluminum.

Do the brake pads line up with the brake track? I found one of those RBR threads and the guy's pads won't go low enough on the caliper to actually hit the designated brake track.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the brake pads line up and they are about in the center of the adjustment. I wouldn't be saying how great they worked if they didn't.

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flo looks a great deal! Are these Chinese? Would you recommend them? Thank.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know anything about Yishun Bike? http://www.yishunbike.com/

They have some good prices, not listed on their site, but i emailed them and got prices.

They appear to be a manufacturer for other companies as well, they offered to have my company logo put on the wheel, and while they do sell individual sets, they seemed more accustomed to larger orders.

I'm wondering if they aren't making some carbon wheels for a big company and then selling some on their own as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well known good company. Check velobuild.com for more info.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
i bought some tubulars and they seem to be a nice enough wheel. I had to drill the valve holes a little bigger and the first time I used the rear it pinged a lot and needed some truing when I was done. They seem to be entirely machine built. The spokes are bladed and they use a lot of spoke prep so they tend to wind up when tightened, so I had to hold them with a crescent wrench and take my time. After that the wheel is straight and works fine. It only has 24 spokes so I notice when I use it in road races it tends to flex a lot against the brakes when I go hard. I opened the brakes up a lot and it solved that. I mostly use them for duathlons and intend to use them for cross. the hubs are crap I'm sure but overall they seems like nice enough wheels. I would not use them much for road racing, at least not the rear it's kind of flimsy for my 175#.

I'm not sure if I'd buy anyone's carbon clincher wheels, there seems to be issues with failures from extended braking, but maybe that's another topic.

I wanted to follow up. I used these wheels a few times and after a race noticed the rim had cracked at the braking surface and the other wheel had developed a bulge in the sidewall. I contacted the seller and began this tedious process of sending pictures, waiting for days, sending more pictures, etc. etc. I finally sent them back to China and they sent me a warranty pair that I sold immediately.

I think for a TT / Tri rider these would be a decent bargain. For training day to day or road / crit racing, I don't think they are a great option. I'm back to plain old metal wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [enrique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
enrique wrote:
Insane to consider purchasing a component that if it fails, can cause you extensive harm or death.

yes, 90% might be OK, but what if you get one of the 10% that might break down while taking a corner at 30 miles an hour...........and if it breaks.....are you going to call the chinese manufacturer to get a new set?

screw that!!! my life is worth more than a set of cheapie wheels
Spinergy 4-bladed wheels anyone? Even the bigger names have issues.

I've been doing a bit of reading on chinese wheels and frames 'cause as much as I'd love a pair of Zipps, I'm broker'n all get out. I've heard of zero issues with the wheels, 1 with the hubs, and none with the frames. YMMV of course.

http://www.velobuild.com or the chinese threads on http://www.roadbikereview.com are your best sources of info on this subject.

Note of caution about alibaba: there's lots of scammers that post there. If you stick with one of the bigger names (Farsports, Hongfu, Dengfu, et al) you *should* be fine.

HTH

M
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks for the reminder. I had an e-mail exchange with Yishun at the end of March, and they indicated they had 44mm deep carbon/aluminum rims with wide brake tracks, but when I asked for pricing I never got a response. I just re-replied, we'll see. This seems the only possibility out there, everything else is either a fairing or full carbon or sold as complete wheels only.

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply

Prev Next