Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It only has 24 spokes so I notice when I use it in road races it tends to flex a lot against the brakes when I go hard. I opened the brakes up a lot and it solved that."

Same thing happens with my Reynolds 32s.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [enrique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
enrique wrote:
Insane to consider purchasing a component that if it fails, can cause you extensive harm or death.

You realize that there are at least 10 such components on every bike, all made in china, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLACKSHEEP wrote:
"It only has 24 spokes so I notice when I use it in road races it tends to flex a lot against the brakes when I go hard. I opened the brakes up a lot and it solved that."

Same thing happens with my Reynolds 32s.

I agree. I hear brakes rubbing in nearly every race I do (my focus is crits and RR). I've seen plenty of big name wheels rub. Most of the reasons are summarized here: http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Stiffness_3449.html

My Light-Bicycle 50mm chinese carbon wheels have ~8000 miles on them. I've been pleased every one of those miles and I've never heard them rub. Part of this might be due to the fact that I've laced it to a 32 hole hub (powertap) though.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [miwoodar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you recall what "brand" or site they were from? I have been looking for the exact same thing but feel almost lost with all the different options out there that all look to be about the same. Are the hubs and spokes about the only things that vary from one Chinese carbon wheel to the next? Or are there totally different sizes? Im getting tired of my Mavics that came on my Cannondale, I've had to true them way too much already, but dont want to spend that crazy amount of money for some Zipps or Enves and be afraid to ride them everyday. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a pair of these yet?

http://www.yoeleobike.com/...wheels-clincher.html

I saw these and they reminded me of the Corima Tri Spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't go the carbon clincher route, unless you absolutely want/need them. What kind of Mavics were you riding? There are so many factors that can influence wheel quality/durability that I usually recommend talking to a shop/wheelbuilder. If you're a lanky 165 lbs and ride smooth roads, you can probably get away with 18/20 radial spoked front and 24 in the rear. If you are 225 lbs and ride pot-hole ridden streets, you can't beat a good set of 28/32 spoke wheels with 2x/3x cross. I've seen folks complaining about name brand wheels always going out of true, breaking spokes, etc. and it doesn't take me long to figure out why.

Ironically, I have one set of wheels that have the brake track wearing out. I can reuse the hubs and likely the spokes, but don't want to disassemble the wheels. They've been perfect. Never needed truing and have performed flawlessly.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nancy Yu at sales@light-bicycle.com

My rear hub is a 32 hole 2010 Powertap Elite. They sent me 251mm spokes and I had to have them cut and rolled at a local shop so they would fit ($10). Nancy credited the full value of the spokes for the error. I would confirm with her that they can supply the lengths you need if you don't go with a pre-built wheel. Here are the specs from my order.

Front Wheel:
- 50mm, 20 spokes, clincher, external nipples, 3k, matte finish, with basalt braking surface
- 20 spokes,black
- 20 nipples,red
- Novatec hub, black
Rear Wheel (built by customer):
- 50mm, 32 holes, clincher, for external nipples, 544 ERD, 3k, matte finish, with basalt braking surface
- 18 spokes 250mm, black
- 18 spokes 248mm, black
- 36 nipples, red
- Novatec hub, black
- 1 pair of brake pads (2pcs)
- 1 pair of skewers
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [JTK28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi JTK, i have tried their normal weight 3 spoke wheels, they performs amazingly! Although the weight is heavier than this one, but i was told that heavier 3 spoke wheel is their most popular 3 spoke wheel, and some guy from leader bike also source the that 3 spoke from them. I got my 3 spoke wheels clincher painted in white, very beautiful.
http://www.yoeleobike.com/...carbon-clincher.html i dont know how to post my bike picture here?
Contact person:Jasmine( jasmine@yoeleo.com)
Last edited by: truecycle: Aug 7, 13 0:56
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [truecycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just remember one thing, you get what you pay for.

Actually, maybe not even.

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [truecycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I paid $200 for a pair of those trispokes, used them for IMNZ. I don't think they are fast and they don't like cross winds much. The spokes have a diamond shaped profile and the hub area where the spokes join maintain that profile, meaning that area is not a smooth disc, like a hed3, but is kinda faceted. They are also noisy, chop chop chop chop, definitely more noticeable than hed3 or spinergy revX. None of this makes me think they are at all aero. They look cool though.

bikemessengersrepresent
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [ClarkieCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK- I just installed some Chinese full carbon wheels (from Yoeleo) 25mm wide with 38mm rim profile and Novatec hubs (291/482) on Focus Mares CX and so far = AWESOME!
The bike has Avid Shorty 4s so it took some maneuvering to get the brake pads and pad holders sorted as the original pads were the long (70mm) threaded post-style for alum brake surface. I called everywhere and no one could help me with a carbon pad to fit the original set-up. My solution; I bought some Avid Shorty 6 threaded pads/holders (same system threaded pad as the Shorty 4, just a shorter pad then the 70mm originals) and replaced the pads of the Shorty 6 with SwissStop Yellow and all set! They work great and look amazing! I put over 100km on them over the weekend on some punishing gravel roads/trails and PERFECT!

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [miwoodar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another plug for light-bicycle. I bought their 45 and 90mm rims and. Built them up myself. So good I sold my firecrest 404s and 808s.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These posts are super old. Looking for some racing wheels for this season on the cheap and considering the Chinese stuff. Anyone have recent opinions to offer up?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [npompei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any other shops people have liked or disliked?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 4 sets of wheels from him. He is the best!!!

http://www.dzmlykwheelworx.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [johnbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had two sets from http://www.wheelsfar.com/ no complaints after 9 months of use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just pulled the trigger(yesterday) on a set from carbonspeedcycle off of ebay. 25mm width U-shape 60mm fairing Carbon Clincher light SAT 11-speed. The SAT stands for Special Assembly Technology which essentially means they have covered up the spoke holes in the wheel with carbon so that you do not have to use rim tape. The 'light' is the lighter version of the wheel and adds about 40$ more to save about 200-250grams on the set. The SAT adds a little to the price to ...I paid 520$ and that includes shipping. You have color options to choose from that you must include in the notes to seller. The emails to confirm my order have been pleasant so far. last year I ordered a 29er frame from China and am loving it. I had 2 issues with it...the Bottom Bracket was about .007mm too small for my bearings...problem solved pretty easily by a paid professional. The second problem I had was going back through the same seller to get a Thru Axle hanger....I ordered 2 times and both times I got a hanger that was not compatible with my frame. That was frustrating....but its all forgotten now that I get to go tear up some trails on my super light carbon 29er.

Now back to the wheels...if you can wait...Ill give you a little review of my wheels when they come in. Shipping is usually under 2 weeks but Ive heard up to a month on occasion. I plan on running these Tubeless for training and some racing.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An engineer with probably correct me here but the SAT design you described sounds like a bad idea to me for three reasons.

1. Isn't access to the spoke nipples going to be a real pain in the backside. If it is spoke replacement is going to be tough as will truing the wheel as during tightening there is a potential the spoke will hit the carbon and stop any further tighening.
2. Won't it be heavier rather than lighter? It depends a lot here on the quality of the CF but the weight removed by the spoke wholes will offsets the weight of rim tape.
3. Isn't there a real risk of catastrophic outer rim failure if on hitting a bump/hole in the road the spoke nipple impacts the rim. As far as I can tell SAT means the outer rim (Non fairing portion) is structurally all connected so a crack in the anywhere on the rim compromised the whole wheel. CF has very little impact resistance and won't survive potentially repeated high energy impacts from metal spoke nipples which can occur from wheel deformation following rough impacts on the road. Slack can be built into the whole system if like HED Stingers or Zipps the deep carbon portion of the rim is structural but not if this portion is a fairing like the HED Jet. The fact that Zipp and Hed still use rim tape further suggests there may be problems with SAT type design even on full strutural carbon deep rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [ClarkieCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jumping the gun by posting here, but I recently ordered a 60mm carbon rim from light-bicycle to lace to my 32h Powertap. I haven't received it yet, so no review. It'll be paired with a front Flo 60.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell this is both why Enves are rad and suck at the same time. The spoke holes are molded into the rim, so it's super strong and doesn't have any holes drilled into it. But they are also hidden, so the tire needs to be removed for any minor truing job. Not terrible for a clincher, fairly terrible for a tubular/tubeless. Not that I'm in the market for any $2800 wheels, but if I were that would be a deal breaker.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"An engineer with probably correct me here but the SAT design you described sounds like a bad idea to me for three reasons.

1. Isn't access to the spoke nipples going to be a real pain in the backside. If it is spoke replacement is going to be tough as will truing the wheel as during tightening there is a potential the spoke will hit the carbon and stop any further tighening.
2. Won't it be heavier rather than lighter? It depends a lot here on the quality of the CF but the weight removed by the spoke wholes will offsets the weight of rim tape.
3. Isn't there a real risk of catastrophic outer rim failure if on hitting a bump/hole in the road the spoke nipple impacts the rim. As far as I can tell SAT means the outer rim (Non fairing portion) is structurally all connected so a crack in the anywhere on the rim compromised the whole wheel. CF has very little impact resistance and won't survive potentially repeated high energy impacts from metal spoke nipples which can occur from wheel deformation following rough impacts on the road. Slack can be built into the whole system if like HED Stingers or Zipps the deep carbon portion of the rim is structural but not if this portion is a fairing like the HED Jet. The fact that Zipp and Hed still use rim tape further suggests there may be problems with SAT type design even on full strutural carbon deep rims."

I actually had the same considerations while making the decision however, the wheels are too intriguing to ignore at that price point. Plus they are a birthday present from my wife:) So I consider it a perfect chance to try something that I normally would be skeptical to blow my own money on. I have ordered a MTB frame from them and it has been kickass! Maybe my wife just wants to collect some life insurance with some poorly engineered wheels but hey, Ill stick my neck out there for the ST community in the name of Progress. If I crash n burn then may my name be carried on as an ST legend:) I plan on breaking them in modestly though.

But honestly...I am interested to see how they engineered these wheels for the same reasons you mentioned.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [gavdxb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gavdxb wrote:
I've had two sets from http://www.wheelsfar.com/ no complaints after 9 months of use.

I've been looking at these as well, also light-bicycle.com Which ones do you have? I'm looking for a new set of CX race wheels, also considering a st for my 27.5 hardtail. Any reservations?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got two pairs of the 88 clinchers.

The second were bought as rims only to build up on a 32h powertap hub I have.

Absolutely no complaints with them at all - they look, sound and ride great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
These posts are super old. Looking for some racing wheels for this season on the cheap and considering the Chinese stuff. Anyone have recent opinions to offer up?
Yeah I went with some 88mm clinchers from Light-bicycle. Had them 12 months, very happy and LB were great to deal with. They have a live chat tool on their website so you can get answers to questions straight away.
Quote Reply

Prev Next