Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [drohc] [ In reply to ]

My name is Zach Winchester, and I have formerly competed as an elite. I qualified for my elite license in 2009 and subsequently had a few decent races. I was excited about my elite career. After two years of racing I was battling some medical issues , so I hung up my cap. I had an intense knee surgery, two colonoscopies (with not-so-fun results), got married and started working full time. I would love to attempt a triathlon in my future, but given certain circumstances there is no way I could box like I used to. Are you telling me that I must race as an elite even though my old, crippled and out of shape ass might barely be able to cross the finish line? What else am I supposed to do? Never show up to the sport that meant so much to me for so many years?
Last edited by: Chattaboogie: Aug 9, 12 14:59

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [drohc] [ In reply to ]

drohc wrote:
@Printer 86? Did you even read the post LMAO! How often does an Triathlon Bronze Medal Olympian race in your AG? LMAO!

In bike racing I've raced against a former world champion and Olympian. She beat me. I rode a personal best.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com

B-/C+

Post deleted by drohc [ In reply to ]

I think you're really failing to realize that Susan Williams is an EX-pro. She hasn't raced professionally in SEVEN years!!!!!
After that kind of break it's up to her whether she wants to try to get back to the pro level or just have some fun racing age group cats.

If you want a skill based categorization system (like cycling) then maybe you would have a debate. But I think you are failing to see how self-centered your argument really is looking to most of us. There is not some huge amount of ex-pros who are just running the tables at USAT nats. You're singling out one. Frankly, it's stupid issues like this that are one of the major reasons that most of us former pros stop doing triathlon all together!

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [TravisT] [ In reply to ]

TravisT wrote:
drohc wrote:
Dude, I'm a triathlete. Give up? What races are you doing this year? I bet being an Elite athlete you may not like the idea surrounding my original question?

#1: drohc please explain this group of statements. Once again I have no idea what you are trying to say here.
#2: Given that drohc may not be able to explain them himself can anyone else explain them to me.
#3: Your reading comprehension sucks, as you've proven repeatedly, given that you could apparently not read my previous response regarding my racing status and wrote the above last sentance.

I enjoy a challenge. Let me try to interpret this post by drohc.

drohc wrote:
Dude, I'm a triathlete.

Apparently drohc feels that his level of participation (or ability?) in events consisting of swimming, biking, and running, qualifies him to call himself a triathlete. Also, he likes to preface this statement by calling you a "Dude."

drohc wrote:
Give up?

I think drohc is saying that, because he thinks he is a triathlete, that your arguments regarding an unrelated issue (e.g., whether it is fair that SW competed at nationals in the AG category) are invalid. Thus, he wonders if you will concede that he is right on all points regarding this unrelated issue.

drohc wrote:
What races are you doing this year?

Drohc would like to know which races you will be competing in this year. Apparently, drohc feels that the races you plan to compete in have some bearing on the validity of any arguments you might raise regarding the unrelated issue mentioned above.

drohc wrote:
I bet being an Elite athlete you may not like the idea surrounding my original question?

Drohc feels that he has not only raised an issue of profound significance to AG athletes, but to "Elite" athletes as well. The "idea surrounding [his] original question" appears to be that certain particularly fast individuals should not be able to compete in the AG category. This, of course, means that these particularly fast individuals would have to compete in the Elite category (if they competed at all). It follows that the Elite category would become more competitive and Elites would now have to not only defeat other Elites, but also these particularly fast individuals who would rather be competing in the AG category. Drohc feels that Elites would fear this new "policy" because they would have to contend with these particularly fast individuals who have been prevented from participating as AG athletes.

Note: In the above interpretation, I'm assuming drohc is a man. I could be wrong though.

I hope this clears up some of what Drohc is trying to say. Please let me know if you need further assistance with interpretations.
Last edited by: K_Man: Aug 9, 12 12:39

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [trimess] [ In reply to ]

What's even more interesting is that a friend of drohc raced AG Nationals last year in the same AG as Susan Williams and was obviously beaten by her. Makes you wonder what this is really about.

Post deleted by drohc [ In reply to ]

But by excluding SW, you're making it an UNFAIR playing field. Don't you see that?
You're also forcing out a great ambassador for the sport.

drohc wrote:
When he kicked your butt did you get faster or stop racing? Do you still race today?

Actually, I did not get my butt kicked, but who cares.

I do not understand your questions. Do I still race today? Why not, I am racing against myself and my abilities. I cannot control others and who cares, this is a hobby for fun.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [TravisT] [ In reply to ]

I have about 14 friends beaten by her last year. Like I mentioned earlier, there was alot of comments made after the awards ceremony last year that rasied the question. Should an Elite/Pro/Olympian race against AG'ers?

drohc wrote:
Remember who drives this business. The vast majority are AG'ers, then you have all levels of talent. Does it make sense to penalize the general population for wanting a fair playing field? Even at Nationals? Remember the day when only amateur athletes could be an Olympian? What happened? It's a free for all in the spirit of competition.

There are so many things wrong with this statement that I need to memorialize it.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]

If i am ever going to draft it will be behnd the Mighty Maggs ;0)

Over the past couple of decades, Lance Armstrong has had a much better support and development network than any professional triathlete I can think (something he earned BTW, good for him). When he started racing triathlon again, most pros were excited at the opportunity to test themselves against him. Racing is a competition, imposing rules limiting competition runs counter to the spirit of racing.

Jordan Jones | Former Pro | Founder/Owner Powder7.com Ski Shop | AthleteBloodTest.com

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [trimess] [ In reply to ]

Forcing out? Stop drinking the cool-aid, just re-arranging.

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]

mr. mike wrote:
In case Dan doesn't get around to putting up a poll for this topic, I have decided to summarize the results, and I will update from time to time:

Those who don't think Susan Williams should be allowed to race AG: 1 (the OP)

Those who 't think Susan Williams should be allowed to race AG: Everyone else

Even h20fun disagrees with the guy! I think this thread needs to be locked :)

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [jordanjones] [ In reply to ]

Again, not limiting just re-arranging. Lance was a Pro in Cycling and, races Pro!

drohc wrote:
I could be a jerk and say yes, but, I'm human. I guess it goes deeper than that, if your injured and show USAT your disability or inability to run a 5:40 mile and bike 23mph and swim a 18 mile, then I'd say have at it. But, would you agree, if you were beating your AG by 3+ minutes at Nationals you might think about returning to the Elite ranks?

That's your threshold for calling someone (assuming they are male) elite?

Weak.

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]

Would this change in policy affect your training business?

drohc wrote:
Hey Mike, it's a question of fairness. I think the USAT policy is flawed and can be improved. Do you race against SW or other ex-olympians/pros and/or elites? I'd like to hear from the people she raced at Nationals, ya their fast! Do you think they were stoked to get waxed by SW? Say ya, and I'll chuckle!

Remember who drives this business. The vast majority are AG'ers, then you have all levels of talent. Does it make sense to penalize the general population for wanting a fair playing field? Even at Nationals? Remember the day when only amateur athletes could be an Olympian? What happened? It's a free for all in the spirit of competition.

Ok, I've got enough info~ btw, stop shooting the guy that ask's the hard questions. Look deep inside and reflect what others, maybe slower than you may want to go to Worlds?

And here is the crux of the whole issue. drohc has his panties in a bunch because he, or more likely his friend that was in SW's AG, didn't get to go to worlds. Too bad. You want to go to worlds then expect to beat the best in the country. Not get a handout or have it made easier for you. Wanting something like that is such the antithesis of competition its beyond me how anybody who would want to earn a spot to compete at a world championship could feel like they deserved to compete there after having excluded anybody they felt was "too fast" for them to beat.