Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [drohc] [ In reply to ]

drohc wrote:
I think someone of that talent level should race against people of the same talent level!

This doesn't make any sense. How do you determine "talent"? How do you then break out the groups by talent level? By your logic, anyone who finished in front of you shouldn't be allowed to race in the same category as you because they obviously have more talent. Is it fair for the people that finish last that all those people finishing in front of them are 'more talented'?

I'm not being sarcastic with this post. Some folks are faster than others. If they choose not to race professional, then it's perfectly fair for them to race AG. Trying to match people up with similar 'talent levels' is an impossible task and solves a problem that doesn't exist...

-Andrew

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [drohc] [ In reply to ]

"BTW, I don't see Tony Stewart getting into Local stockcar racing after NASCAR!"

Well then you don't read much news. He's often known to go toss his hat in local races. Not so much these days now that he's a team owner as well, but it still happens.

I'll race anyone who shows up. I love a challenge, even after 27 years around the sport. If Spencer Smith, who is roughly my age, shows up and races AG against me, I'm not gonna cry when he blows my doors off.

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [exstyle] [ In reply to ]

It's funny because the only people I really hear complain about this are so removed from the podium removing one athlete isn't going to change anything...

Re: USAT Nationals and the USAT position on EX Pros/Olympians racing AG [trimess] [ In reply to ]

trimess wrote:
But she was an ITU athlete, so she isn't very good cyclist right?

Yeah they ride 30kph and I have to explain to my mother why our sport is so embarrassed having a race in the Olympics.

Post deleted by drohc [ In reply to ]

I have raced nationals a few times. I have raced TeamUSA 3 times. And you want to talk about fast folks, race at the world level! And how many of them COULD have been a pro if they wanted, plenty I would assume.
I race against a number of folks on the west coast who clearly could have been a pro if they wanted to with killer times.

So, the issue you do not understand is a person getting a pro license as some point in their life really does not mean much. Many other super fast folks never went pro.

The rules are the rules. Seem very fair to me. I want as many fast folks racing against me as possible. It lets me race the best I can be, and if that means I am dead last, who cares. I did the best I could on that day
with my skills.

So, I would not support any change by USAT. The system they have today works find and IMO, is totally fair!!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep

drohc wrote:
Have any of you qualified for the this years USAT Olympic Nationals? Did any of you race it last years USAT Nationals? A 2:06 on that course was blistering fast.
I'm not sure if anyone has ever competed in any other type of racing, let's say motorcycle racing or bicycle for example. You win a few races as a beginner and you get bumped to the next level, say beginner to intermediate, then to expert, then to pro.
Putting all of the GIANT Ego's aside. And thinking of a FAIR situation. Is it fair to say if I as a PRO, I want to give up my PRO license, return to the general racing population, that's OK to do? And I do acknowledge we must qualify to get to this event, by doing very well at a race. This should give us the best of the best. But, as a competitor for many, many years, the USAT policy on this is flawed. I agree with a Elite AG category for ex-pros/elites and olympians, like the Canadians have.
The original post was the response from the USAT, I intend on drafting a letter proposing a change. But, I wanted to see the general blogger response, wether it be name calling, pro or con. Looks like a few people would appreciate a more level playing field and others and hell bent on racing the pros! Rock on!
Good luck to you all and be safe on the roads, I have a motto, those of you that know me know it, those who don't here it is! I train my ass off today to drop your ass tomorrow!
Hopefully we are making a better race environment for ALL!

Who the hell thinks its unfair for a mid 40's ex pro to be racing AG at an elite level national event? If you've qualified to race nationals, which is embarrassingly easy to do, you should expect to be racing the best in the country. When you are mid 40's you aren't racing competitively at the pro level anymore. If you have to whine, bitch and complain that you feel your competition is too tough at nationals because some of them once held a pro card then you are the problem with the sport. Are you going to bitch when Drew Scott wins Hyvee as an amateur and say he's too fast and should have taken his pro card? When Michael Lovato retires and continues racing AG you're probably going to be whining the he has to go off in his own separate wave since he once raced pro? There are a lot of bitchy posts on ST but this has to be one of the most pathetic.

Because going pro means you are making a career of it! I can't even begin to count the nunmer of people who race AG who are far beyond the ability of most pro's. Being "pro" doesn't mean you are somehow faster then the rest of the world. It simply means you are doing it for your job. Just because you are fast doesn't mean you go pro. Tough concept to understand obviously.

Last edited by: TravisT: Aug 9, 12 14:52

drohc wrote:
Why do you suppose they never went Pro? Should they have been? Did they beat Pro's?

No idea, but what is such a big deal to say you are a Pro? Does not make the person any faster. If one is really out there to race for themselves, does one have to have a special title on them?
Does one really need to be special so they can start at the beginning? Do AGer's beat Pro's at times? Just look at the Kona results? There are plenty of Pros that are not that fast.

Again, not sure what your point is. In any sport some are faster than others. In a lot of ways this Pro vs elite vs AG stuff is just about letting folks have an Ego. Did the 80 year old person "win" when they
were dead last?

I exercise and race to try and help me not get cancer. I love being around the folks in this sport who care about their bodies and health. There are lots of folks faster than me who kick my butt. I would much
rather race all of them and be dead last than win a race by 15 minutes which happens a lot in my older AG.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

drohc wrote:
This isn't hard to understand, just that the policy is flawed.

And again, exactly how is the policy flawed?

You're a lost cause. Obviously set on trying to legislate yourself to a higher finishing spot in some arbitrary catagory. Good luck with that. Meanwhile those of us actually interested in racing will continue to enjoy competeting against the best the race can throw at us. And when I get beat I won't be looking for a loophole to make myself feel better.