Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
A few questions

• You mentioned starting in 89.....so how many more years do you WANT to race at this level?
  • Houston humidity....is this your preferred type of racing environment, or do you prefer drier conditions?
  • What is your childhood athletic background?

I knew you were going to ask the first one, and I knew it would be you who would ask. I think that those of us who are in our late 30s right now are the fist generation who are trying to consistently race this long. I loosely plan on through 2013. That's 1/4 century. Maybe 2014 if I have some 'bucket list' races, we'll see.

I like racing in Texas. I have done slightly better in drier conditions, but that might be the case for most folks. I just really need to focus on the salt and hydration aspect of it. For as much as you read about limiting the water intake, I think that it does become more important on very warm and humid races.

I was the weird kid in small town Texas who didn't play football. Ready JimmyR's blog for some insight on football in Texas. 18,000 people and I managed to start swimming as an 8 or 9 year old. I was 'ok' in high school, but not 'fast'. 4:50 mile on the track in my 1 track meet. 4:56 in the 500. Again, per a comment earlier, I didn't set out to be a professional athlete. I was a nerd, 2nd in the class kind of nerd.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM swims, especially with only 40 pros are pretty mellow. We started out pretty quick and rolled pretty good for only about 2-300 it seemed like, and about 800 or so into it, Rasmus had opened a small gap. It really didn't seem like anyone was keen to lead, so I punched it a bit and went for the lead. I was in the lead from that point on during the swim. When you've got a good rhythm in open water as you know, fast doesn't feel that hard, and that's how it was. Fast, but not hard.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three tips for the AGer who wants to go fast or get faster...
- Find a schedule that you can hit week in and week out, lather rinse repeat ad naseum. If it's 8 hours it's 8, if it's 12 its' 12, etc. A LOT of work can be done in 12 hours a week.
- If you have the above base of fitness, it should 'only' take 6 weeks to get ready for just about any race, then the family can have mom/dad/etc back.
- Do NOT neglect or assume that your life stresses have no bearing in your training or racing stresses, they do and they need to be accounted for.
- Work on your weakness, but DO NOT think that you are going to eliminate it, especially at the expense of losing your strength.

Great tips Brandon - it all rings true to me, especially the one about "life stresses". They do have a bearing on your training and I constantly feel like I'm battling with this as the focus tends to be one dimensional when it comes to stress. In addition, it's difficult to cut a workout short sometimes or even maybe sleep in later AND cut a workout short due to having obligations the night before.

Thanks for the responses and great race. Those are some serious fast times.
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
What kind of bike and run build did you do for the month leading up to IMTX? Avg. weekly hours and miles?

As with Jordan's reply to these questions, it's a bit between Paulo and me. Paulo started coaching me at the very beginning of the year. It has been good, very focused training. And that is something that cannot be underestimated. So, when I put general averages down, they don't show the entire picture, and they may not be that impressive. But, it's "only" now about 5 months working with a new coach, so I don't know how the next 5 months will change.

With the exception of race and post-race weeks, I probably biked 13-15 hours and ran 7-8 hours. Miles varied depending on the routes we chose, so looking at miles might not be metric.

Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Dave had a last name I'd probably surprise you.

Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no questions, but just wanted to say that I enjoyed the race report; congrats on your race

Quote | Reply
dude, this is very cool. thanks a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does this mean?

" I hope that, and maybe will have more commentary to this point, that the “Lance factor” as people are calling it doesn't negatively affect the race. By that, I simply mean that steps will need to be taken to ensure that external dynamics are kept to a minimum and everyone is able to race their race. At 70.3 TX, this was not quite the case, and the results were likely skewed a bit because of it."

As someone very much on the outside looking in, when it comes to big races and being fast, the dynamics are very interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
No family outside of Amy, oddly enough. I actually told my parents not to come since my mom's travel schedule has been so crazy! And, in reality, an IM is something that is miserable to spectate though The Woodlands is a pretty good place for it as far as the swim and run go! .

As someone who was herding elderly in-laws around The Woodlands, I have to disagree about the swim spectating. Walking 2 miles round-trip between transition & the swim start isn't a good option for 60+ year old parents unless they're as committed to fitness as we are(they aren't) & parking at the swim start was more readily available(it wasn't). If you're willing to miss seeing your SO off at the swim start & catch them at T1 - or you're in good enough shape to make the trek - then sure, it's a reasonable location. If it was just my SO & myself, it would've been fine. Having her parents spectate is what made it more difficult than, say, IMKY or IMCOZ.

(I realize the race director is working with the geographic limitations of the site, but they're the ones that picked the place)

The run was fine, we were able to setup shop at a shady place near one of the bridges & see racers 3x/lap. The parking garages & restaurants were convenient for the run course as well.

Thanks for your Q&A, I'm learning some good stuff.

---

Iron Distance Race Selector
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing some fairly personal information.

One thing I can point out to you. There are 1000's of people around the world who earn a living as an engineer. The number who can making a living as a pro triathlete is very small, so worldwide you are in a very select group.

After you are done, you can join back with the engineering masses as your brain power will still be there, but your physical capabilities will not be there for long time. You have the opportunity to do something outside the ordinary, and I am glad for you and Mrs. Tex that you are able to do it.

I just recently had a debate with a family member who said that kids should go to university to study a profession where they can make a good living without being elite it. Subjects like business, law, engineering, medicine were tabled. (by the way, I have grad degrees in business and engineering)...but I digress.

I said, I grew up under parents of immigrants who wanted their kids to have a comfortable living and directed us down the safe path where a decent amount of intellect and a good work ethic could combine to deliver a comfortable life.

I replied back saying, "that's just a path of mediocrity". I understand why immigrant parents point their kids that way, because they don't want them to face the same struggles they did. But without high risk there is no high reward.

There is nothing wrong with our kids following their passions, even if they are low paying professions. If they are truly GOOD at their passion, they will make ends meet and have immensely rewarding and fulfilling lives, rather than just following the safe path of mediocrity in fairly "high paying" professions.

Good on both of you for taking that path. No doubt it is rewarding, albeit trying financially at times. Well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
IM swims, especially with only 40 pros are pretty mellow. We started out pretty quick and rolled pretty good for only about 2-300 it seemed like, and about 800 or so into it, Rasmus had opened a small gap. It really didn't seem like anyone was keen to lead, so I punched it a bit and went for the lead. I was in the lead from that point on during the swim. When you've got a good rhythm in open water as you know, fast doesn't feel that hard, and that's how it was. Fast, but not hard.

Seriously, how in the world can you identify the other dudes in the race? I have a hard time picking out the color of the swim cap or the location of the next buoy. Do you study tape of their swim technique? Do you practice enough with these guys to know their style? How?!

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't it true the ONLY reason pro's showed up to Ironman Texas was because Rappstar told you all that American Zofingen was too hard...that it would steal a piece of your soul and leave you weeping like a baby in the fetal position?

(just kidding...see Rappstar's thread)

BrandonMarshTX wrote:
I just really need to focus on the salt and hydration aspect of it.

I'm assuming from this comment that you supplement with extra salt? If not, ignore my follow ups:

What indicators do you get that let you know you need more salt? Do you cramp without extra salt? If so, can you feel them coming on before cramping sets in? what muscles tend to cramp IF it comes to that? Do you find that you cramp in both racing and training without extra salt?

The reason I ask is probably pretty obvious.

Awesome race...very cool to have pro's have an open discussion like this.

Thanks,
Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Power Numbers?
2. Is Team Marsh planning on having little triathletes in the future?
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:

Seriously, how in the world can you identify the other dudes in the race? I have a hard time picking out the color of the swim cap or the location of the next buoy. Do you study tape of their swim technique? Do you practice enough with these guys to know their style? How?!

I second this question. See pro's discussing who did what in the swim all the time and it confuses me. I'm a swimmer and every now and then when swimming open water with friends can identify them but once we get more than 4 or 5 in a pack there is no way. How do you guys do it!?
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a no wetsuit swim it is a lot easier to identify each other. I think this is also why people generally behave better in a no wetsuit swim, as the cloak of anonymity is lifted. Once on the bike, very easy to identify the dude in the red tri suit who was beating the crap out of you for the entire swim :-). Plus in ITU they have their names right on the tri suit.
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a smaller swim it is easier. It is easier because you have a pretty good idea of who is going to make that selection. It is also a lot easier if you look to see where around you where your fellow pros are at the start. It always amazes me that 'if' we have a 50m starting line, we all end up lining up within about 10 meters...kind of annoying actually. In mucky water it is more difficult, but you look to see what kind of goggles they are wearing as well as the speedsuit. Goggles are a dead giveaway. So, when I breathed to my left, I was 90% sure it was Mathias. When I looked up front, there was red sticking out of the speedsuit and that was what Rasmus was wearing. And, I knew that Joe started next to me on the right. If the water is clear, you can just tell by faces, etc. Some pros have a very distinct stroke, so 'if' you have trained with them, you'll know that.

And, we aren't dealing with 2000 of our closest friends.

Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [GregRF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. 246 average. 248 xPower. Golden Cheetah. I backpedaled about 40 miles in. I have a quarq. The numbers seemed too high for my effort and the tailwind, and I seemingly lost about 15 watts there. But, I was also looking a bit at my speed and laps as well as how I felt. So, I wasn't a total slave to the PM. I had an auto lap set and knew how fast I needed to be for each lap. In looking at the splits, I had a slight negative split ride. I don't want to over analyze too much, but that seems to show that clearly the numbers were off early on in the ride.

2. Likely.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like some excellent pacing. Can I ask what variables you look at during the ride and how long your laps are set for? Do you base nutrition intake off of your laps?
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
I have become more 'fit' than when you were here. If I were swimming 20x100x1:15 yards, I could hold 1:05s or better kind of as an effort above a 'cruise' which would probably be 1:08s or so on that set. I've done a few main sets that were on the 1:10 base for yards with Longhorn Masters like 3x150 1:45, 3x100 1:10, 3x50 0:35 for the first set and then 3x150 1:40, 3x100 1:05, 3x50 0:35 that were good indicator sets that I was pretty fit.

Generally though I have only been swimming Masters 1-2x a week. I could probably make 20x100x1:15 short course meters rolling in on the 1;12 or so, but I do not think that I could comfortably make that set Long Course.

I think that I tend to underestimate my 500 TT off the blocks time as i would say I'm in 5:05-5:10 shape. That's because it takes a LOT to get under 5 minutes when tri training. If I focused on swimming more and rested, etc, then I think that I could sneak under 5 minutes.

JoeU has admitted that he is a better open water than pool swimmer and that Hunter, etc. routinely smack him in the pool. Mathias is definitely a better open water swimmer. I don't know about Rasmus and Balaz other than they are typical front pack, but not off the front swimmers.

Pursuant to this, do you think YOU are a better pool swimmer or OW swimmer?

If so, what do you think makes you better in OW?

If not, what you do you think makes you better in the pool? And what - if anything - do you focus on in training in an effort to become a better ow swimmer?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that I know why you are asking! :)

A lot of it comes down to comfort I think, and she ran enough with a hand-held in training that she was ok doing it in the race. It was an 8oz or 10oz bottle in a Nathan (no sponsorship) hand held. She used it to carry her own nutrition as opposed to relying on the on-course nutrition until she was ready. So, it's really an individual decision. I also think that you (in general) might be willing to carry something less than ideal early in the run if it means you are going to get the calories/nutrition in early since that is when it really matters. And, then when you are in the later stages of the run where it might feel better to run more natural.

Personally I will carry a flask and switch from hand to hand. Is there a better way, maybe. I've worn a belt, but sometimes I don't want anything on my stomach. Amy the same way.

Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
What does this mean?

" I hope that, and maybe will have more commentary to this point, that the “Lance factor” as people are calling it doesn't negatively affect the race. By that, I simply mean that steps will need to be taken to ensure that external dynamics are kept to a minimum and everyone is able to race their race. At 70.3 TX, this was not quite the case, and the results were likely skewed a bit because of it."

As someone very much on the outside looking in, when it comes to big races and being fast, the dynamics are very interesting.

So, this one took some writing, re-writing, etc. I added this to my race report as a 'reason' for going to Kona this year, the fact that Lance is racing in all honesty. But that isn't my 'only' reason for wanting to qualify and go this or next year, I kind of would like to race it as a professional even if it is an expensive 'experience', but I am not 100% sold on it which is enough to say I should probably pick a different race. I am likely not going to receive any more attention in the race than I would have if Lance wasn't in the race, unless it is warranted by my finishing results. Kona is a different race simply because the 50 best are there and you might get 10 of 50 at most other races. Clearly with Lance in the race there will be a lot of media hype, etc. And, it's well deserved 'hype' if you ask me. He is as has been pointed out in other threads, a celebrity and is a celebrity right now who is doing well at triathlons. And look, I don't want this thread to spiral downwards like most threads when the name Lance is mentioned, so I'll ask you to keep those out of it. And, the exposure that he brings to triathlon, even if it is only for a couple of years, has the potential to at least catapult it a little bit more into the mainstream.

To the dynamics of the race, I briefly touched on them in my race report from 70.3 Texas. With more exposure comes more media. In the 'old' days people surmised that some of the reason Mark/Dave/etc. when so 'fast' on the bike was because then they had media VAN convoys driving around them. Now we have motos and photographers, which is worlds better than Vans and autos. At 70.3 Texas the roads were NOT closed for the first 20 miles of the bike course, and the course going out was the right hand lane of two lanes going the same direction. We had the right most lane, cars has the left lane in the same direction. So, when I say that I hope that race dynamics play out so that everyone in the race can race THEIR race I'm speaking in terms of the media not having an effect. At 70.3 Texas, a lot of people on the internet commented that Lance sat up for some reason during the bike leg. He sat up because the guys behind him were getting a massive draft, not from being legal distance behind, but from the dozen cars that were lined up behind a moto in the passenger lane causing a huge break in the quartering head wind that we fought for 20 miles. So, essentially while the front cyclist of the pack may have been riding his race, if you were 3rd wheel or further, you were getting an artificial advantage. After mile 20 as soon as the course was closed the pack essentially broke up.

I can't tell you how the results would have changed if things were different. I came off the bike far enough down to pass some of the guys ahead of me. Would Jordan Jones not have pipped Lance at the line...I don't know. Would Sebastian instead of Tim won...I don't know. But, I do think that the first 20 miles of the race did change the finishing in some manner.

That is what I mean by race dynamics being affected by external factors...not the wind or terrain or weather. I do not care what other athletes chose to do in Kona. If I'm racing, I'm going to be making my decisions based on what I think that I can do. Last year the top-10 was likely not picked in its entirety by anyone. And the reason is the same reason that I ended up passing 2 guys at the end of the ride at IMTX. Guys decided to ride harder than they knew they could for the first 1-2 hours of the race and blew up. The race just needs to be a fair race for the men....and women. If there is a media convoy of 5 motos surrounding Lance as soon as he gets on the road then 1 of a few things are going to happen...he's going to ride artificially fast, he and those in close proximity are going to ride artificially fast, and/or someone who might come out in the 2nd pack might not ride through the field and have the race that they are capable of having because of the first two scenarios above...someone like Sebastian Kienle at 70.3 TX. If 10 guys want to ride with Lance, then let them make that choice and do it. Don't let it happen because of the external factors. If Lance blows through the field by mile 10 and is on his own, then just keep things clean enough so that he's not 15 minutes ahead instead of 10 or 12. And for the women, it might mean either a pretty good head start or at least a separate male/female start so that the faster female swimmers do not end up riding with the slower male pros.

That is what I mean by the "Lance factor", external race dynamics, and possibility of the race outcome being changed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice thread btw.

height/weight on race day?

Saw some pics you look like a body builder vs some of the other guys, although pics can be deceiving.

Also about a year, year and a half ago I thought I heard some rumors that you were going to scale back racing or stop.

What changed your mind, since it seems you're focused, if the rumors were true.

My only other comment is smart move hiring Paulo.

EDIT: since you're in Flag, if you desire to head down to Tucson for some training I've got a spare room.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 24, 12 19:47
Quote Reply
Re: The 5th isn't 1st, but 'Ask me about my Ironman Texas' Race [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
I'm assuming from this comment that you supplement with extra salt? If not, ignore my follow ups:

What indicators do you get that let you know you need more salt? Do you cramp without extra salt? If so, can you feel them coming on before cramping sets in? what muscles tend to cramp IF it comes to that? Do you find that you cramp in both racing and training without extra salt?

It has been trial and error. I raced Olympic distance for the longest time. And, you can fake a lot of a 70.3 nutritionally and training-wise. IMTX was what I feel my best IM to date, though I had decent races before at IMAZ and IMFl, both of those were cooler and drier days. I've started 13 IMs, finished 12, and the DNF was due to pretty extreme GI/Flue issues before the race...I shouldn't have started. When I sweat a lot, I'm white with salt. I've cramped up, but I have also found that I just am able to focus more and seem to maintain my effort better when I take extra salt. I probably should have taken more on the run at IMTX along with more diligent hydration early in the run.

In training, it seldom happens, but I think that is the case for most people. It has happened though. In racing it has happened. To say it must be electrolytes is a cover all statement. I use primarily first endurance EFS when I race, and I took 1 salt stick tablet every 50 minutes. The cramps usually hit me in a couple of places...adductors and hands/fingers. The hands/fingers are kind of weird, like my fingers don't want to bend. And if I've been worked pretty solid and maybe not as diligent in training, it'll be the hands/fingers...or if it's a particularly hard/hot day sometimes my hamstrings will twinge when I'm sitting. And, if it's bad leg cramps, for whatever reason DURING a race, Coke seems to help.

So, it's individual trial and error.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What RPE would you give the bike ride at that power level?
Quote Reply

Prev Next