Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
50 yards in 35 seconds. [Good, OK, Bad]?
Quote | Reply
Hey gang,

Today, for fun, after my workout (1150yards - moderate pace), I decided I would see how fast I could do a lap at our pool. The fastest I could get was 35seconds over 50yards. Is that pretty good, average, sucky?

I did my most recent 2.4 mile swim (in the pool) at around 1:20.

I guess this post is more of a:

How fast have you done 50 yards before?

...type of question. :)

Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [Good, OK, Bad]? [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a real swimmer, 35 seconds would be good for a 12 year old kid. I think the record was just broken a few weeks ago around sub 19 seconds. For a triathlete it is ok. Doesn't really matter anyway since I know of no races with a 50 yard swim.

The fastest I ever went was high 23 seconds but I wasn't a sprinter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess that is average for triathlon? My best in college was off a relay start, 21.03.

And let's finally settle this for all you non-swimmers. A lap is from one end to the other. In a 25 yard pool, a '50' is two laps.

Now you know, and as G.I Joe used to say, 'knowing is half the battle.'
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]And let's finally settle this for all you non-swimmers. A lap is from one end to the other. In a 25 yard pool, a '50' is two laps. [/quote]

No. A LENGTH is from one end to the other. A LAP is back to your starting point. In a 25 yd pool, one lap is 50 yards, one length is 25 yards.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How fast have you done 50 yards before?"

23.1 seconds

Quote | Reply
So when you run laps, that is half way around the track?

"Sports. To get ahead of (an opponent) in a race by one or more complete circuits of the course, as in running, or by two or more lengths of pool in swimming."

OTOH, the same dictionary says:

"One complete length of a straight course, as of a swimming pool."

Here, a dog takes a few laps in a pool:

Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry. Eganski's correct. Ask anyone with a swimming background. One lap = one length.

btw 30.2 as a 10 yr old (in 1962)
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for a 12yo that would be a good time for a 50 yds kick.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying what makes sense (i.e a lap SHOULD be 2 'lengths')
I'm just saying what it is. And when you say a 'lap' is down and back, you look silly. Now you can at least 'talk the talk.' I'm just trying to help.

2 laps? a 50
4 laps? 100
8 laps? 200

Apology's are accepted, and don't wait for other swimmers to tell you you're wrong. If you try to tell a swimmer that 2 laps isn't a 50, you'll get laughed at.

Knowledge is power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I swam a high 26 as a very medicre prep swimmer. Remember, off the blocks will get anyone out 1-2 sec. faster. A 100 is a better benchmark. I think I could go 57.5 or so. A 47 might get you a college scholarship.

Honestly, 35 sec. off the wall after a workout is decent and indicates you might be able to improve quite a bit: I swim under 22 minutes in Olympic distance races (which is close to a 60 min. pace in an IM I guess) and I can't go faster than 31 or 32 off the wall for a 50.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 yard kick!?!?!? Damn.

At my best, in high school, I think I hit 30 seconds for a 50 yard "sprint". I guess that's why I'm drawn to the idea of "slowtwitch"!!

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No. A LENGTH is from one end to the other. A LAP is back to your starting point. In a 25 yd pool, one lap is 50 yards, one length is 25 yards.

That's what I thought until I saw the dictionary. Swimmers, being lazy, wanted to complete their workouts in half the time, and came up with this.
Last edited by: Monk: Apr 4, 05 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, interesting. I swam growing up, age-group to high school, and 50 yards was always 1 lap (in a 25 yard pool). Admittedly, I never had the smartest coaches!

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All those counters for the 500,1000, and mile can't be wrong. 1 lap = 1 length of the pool, so like eganski said, 2 laps in a scy pool is a 50.

The 50 world record was just set at NCAA men's met. The big frenchmen destored it at 18.74, first time under 19 (from a non-relay start). Then, just to prove it wasn't a fluke, went 18.90 in finals. WHOAZZER!

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [Hoagy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was swimming competitively 1 lap always meant 2 lengths of a 25 m pool.

Quote | Reply
And people wonder why many swim coaches are still stuck in the Stone Age in the acquisition of new knowledge. Perpetuating myths seems to be more important than knowing that we don't know everything there is about aquatic movements.

A length of pool was a lap...that was what your coach called it. So that's what you call it. Nevermind it's wrong.

I am a full-time swim coach, I come from a swimming background...and one lap in a 25yd pool is a 50. Now, if we're talking about a 50m pool...then a lap is 100m. My coaches called a 25yd a lap...I know better now.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious...did you swim age group in Arizona? If so, was it with Charlie C?

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the US swimming website:

Lap : One length of the course. Sometimes may also mean down and back (2 lengths) of the course.

Length : The extent of the competitive course from end to end. See lap.

Maybe it's an east coast/west coast thing like calling soda, pop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trimike said for a real swimmer.

I can do 8x50yds on 1' in 45'' kicking and I CAN'T kick
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So since you are spear-heading this change, i'm sure you've invented new lap-counters for people to use in high school and college for the 500, 1000, and mile?

Also, call Webster, cause he too is perpetuating a myth:

lap:

n.
A part that overlaps.
The amount by which one part overlaps another.

B One complete round or circuit, especially of a racetrack.

C One complete length of a straight course, as of a swimming pool.

A lap is from one end to another in swimming. That's just the way it is. Some things will never change. That's just the way it is.(insert piano here)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the lap/length debate has been a zombie equine since before Doc Councilman invented the pace clock. No one's ever going to agree on it, so if I'm talking about swimming, I always describe in terms of lengths or distance.

As for 50 yard free time, my best was a 26.9 relay split. For the women's teams I swam on, I wasn't considered to have much in the way of speed, but that was adequate for relay purposes if they needed someone for a 4x50 FR.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 yards in 35 seconds. [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure did....how'd you guess???? He's still there at the Gauchos, that's where I did all my age group swimming from age 8 until college....its was like a second family

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused. Doesn't your 50-yard time (be it lap or length) suggest a faster IM than 1:20? I sure hope so! I can't swim that fast for 50 but I'm expecting to swim a consistent pace and hopefully hit between 1:00 and 1:10...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell no...I know better. :-)

The lap counters are just fine...the numbers go up by 2 every time you turn it...so it's counting laps (2 lengths).

And it's not the "mile"...it's the 1650. 1650yds is not a mile. That bugs me too. I'm easily annoyed apparently. Must be the thin-skin. Dammit...need to apply more Armor-All.

Just doing my part to perpetuate confusion for non-swimmers. I don't have a Webster's handy, but the online (collegiate) edition has different definitions (and does not include C).

Come to think of it...why do we call it "lapping" someone...shouldn't it be "double-lapping"?

Dave "insert piano here too"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was consistently mid 22's in 50 free in high school, and there was at least one faster sprinter on the team.
Quote Reply

Prev Next