Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall hearing about some draft-legal triathlon in Colorado "back in the day"; the 7-11 cycling team entered. Despite being crappy swimmers, they put together a TTT on the bike that gave someone on their team an insurmountable lead going into the run.

A solid team could get a protected rider home in under 3:45 and still be able to drop any attempted hangers-on, like Bjorn. :-)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [trinow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I wonder if a race would be able to get insurance at a reasonable cost. Let's be honest, if there was drafting and if one rider goes down, a whole bunch goes down. Just look at the tours where you have 180 pro's who basically live on their bikes and their pile ups get nasty. Would there be some sort of negligence issue for a race knowing that they have a large percentage of wankers out there w/o the proper bike skills? If it would be negligence, it doesn't matter what kind of waiver you sign, you can't sign off negligence on a waiver which would open the race up to lawsuit. I don't know if this would be the case, but it would have to be a consideration to address.
It's remarkable how USA Cycling manages to get many thousands of draft-legal bike races on the schedule each year, and on courses that'd kill most triathletes (think 4-corner crits).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't recall any such race, and if it did happen it was not against the pros of the day. They would have just beaten a bunch of people like you Ken, you know MOP AG'ers...(-;

I can think of about 20 top pro triathletes, that in groups of at least 3 could ride 3:45 for a fast Ironman course. Unless those bike racers can swim better than the ones that are doing tris now, there best hope is to break even on the bike, and likely would be hard pressed to podium in their AG's.....As well as the latest world TT champion did in Hawaii, I don't thin he even got top 10 in the AG, and certainbly his bike was just above the good AG splits.....
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It is called triathlon, and winners are usually pretty good at all 3 sports. Take a look at ITU, they are probably the most balanced athletes in our sport.

Mark,

I agree. It will sound blasphemous with this crowd, but the ITU athletes are the true triathletes in my eyes. Why? they have mastered outstanding fitness, skill and tactics in all three sports. The more common form of triathlon that most everyone else practices has as the bike leg this hybrid form of ITT'ing unique to triathlon that when you think about it, is very one demensional. In ITU triathlon the cycling fitness needs to be there but that is rounded out with the fitness and skills needed for road racing as well, making for a better all-around and true triathlete in my mind.

I agree, but I think you also see very well-rounded triathletes in a time-trial format. I know it's not sexy and I guess that's what really matters in today's market, but I'm an old school guy who loves the idea of pushing myself without getting drafting help from others (either in the swim or the bike). To me, that's what triathlon is all about. I also think the time-trial format, with chip timing, is easy to implement in large AG fields and would be much safer than draft-legal AG events.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, but I think you also see very well-rounded triathletes in a time-trial format.\\

No one is argueing that the non drafting guys and gals are not great athletes. My point was that the ITU people are just more well rounded in all 3 sports. Thats why people like Norman, Natasha, Torjbjorn, Bently, ect.,ect, could never do well in ITU. On the ohter hand, many ITU athletes do very well when they cross over, Macca, ALexander, McGlone, and on and on...Great ITU athletes have all the skills needed, they just need to adjust to the longer distance. Many of the top distance people do not have the swim, or the speed needed to do ITU format. It's a lot easier to build endurance than speed, and if you can't swim fast, then that is a huge hole for ITU.....
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A worthy bump... ! Only 31 riders in this particular peloton.
Last edited by: mlinenb: Nov 16, 09 15:31
Quote Reply

Prev Next