Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [eDeRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]To anyone who complains about the drafting at IMFL I say this... GET FASTER so you can avoid it!

Man, after reading and posting on Slowtwitch for awhile I too am turning into an a-hole.[/reply]

I guess even Joe B was too slow? I guess those of us over 30 need to get out of the sport then.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This board can't praise this enough - God Bless Joe B.

Watching him leading the pack made my day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going to link to a video to complain about drafting perhaps it should be to one that is longer than 15 secs considering you have 20 secs to complete a pass. I'm not saying that drafting doesn't happen, but a lot of the video and photo "proof" is not really proof at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [t daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This board can't praise this enough - God Bless Joe B.

Watching him leading the pack made my day.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=1557634#1557634

From the previous thread. Another poster was also up front trying to break free off the front.

Support Crew

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
when I throw a GU wrapper in the park on my long runs i get warned by fellow runners and I pick it up.
this statement pretty much says it all on where your ethics are at. So you just throw your trash anywhere and if noone says anything you just leave it. Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [tjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't remember Florida being this bad in 2001 and 2002 when I did it, but I can't argue with the current situation. I wont make the mistake of signing up for it again.[/quote] Same here tjs. I did IMF in 2000/2001 and drafting wasn't a problem. Did it last year and drafting on the bike was rampant. Won't be going back again.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Breaking the rules is breaking the rules not cheating. Cheating is done something sneaky behind everyones back.

I am going to call you on that one. Cheating is breaking rules to gain advantage, i.e. Drafting. Sneaky has nothing to do with it. Getting caught has nothing to do with it.

Besides, hiding out in a pack, trying to avoid drafting violations from marshals qualifies as "sneaking" in my dictionary.

Yes, its only a hobby for most, but intentional drafting, IMHO, is a sad indicator of an athletes moral standards. as Bart says - "I didn't do it, it was like that when I got there, you can't prove it, no body saw me do it."

Support Crew
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [tri-3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A TT start does make the race easier from the standpoint of that lack of jostling for position, and the large draft you mention very seldom actually happens as those early fast starters burn out, and one is forced to find clean water. There is much more contact, and even though I don't like getting smashed like I did saturday, it is part of the sorting out proess that separates the sport from a swim meet.
As and stated on one of the other threads, how was a TT swim start going to affect the drafting that was goin on after 70 miles, where it was the worst? The IMKY TT start logic is flawed in that the cyclists were drafting the worst after 70 miles.

How many competitors at IMF this year would have gone as fast or faster if there was a time trial start? Maybe those who were knocked silly in the swim, but that's about it. The ability to throw elbows in the swim to maintain your position is far, far down on my list of skills that should be required to be a fast IM triathlete.

Have you ever done a time-trial start triathlon? I've done several, including Memphis in May and races within the TTT, and there was a sorting out process in those races that was more advantageous to the fast swimmer than the mass start IM events I have done.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [dp73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]If you're going to link to a video to complain about drafting perhaps it should be to one that is longer than 15 secs considering you have 20 secs to complete a pass. I'm not saying that drafting doesn't happen, but a lot of the video and photo "proof" is not really proof at all.[/reply]

like what? something 5hr long? you guys are funny...pictures, reports, videos...nah...you need more evidence. really funny.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point of the post is the drafting. The drafting occurred throughout the race, but especially after 70 miles. How does a TT swim start even remotely affect this? That logic defies me. How many TT swim starts I've done is not at issue. Swim times are not the issue. The issue is moral character and punishment for cheating.

Gary Geiger

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [WVTRIMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why not move towards making every IM a time trial start like they did at IM Louisville?

Speaking from strictly a personal perspective - I always liked the head-to-head racing and the strategy and dyanmics involved with it. I like ITT's to, but you often never know where your competition is at, relative to where you are time-wise or place wise. In a mass start head-to-head race, you more or less know exactly where you stand.

Part of the problem is the philosophy and description of each leg of a triathlon. In the swim it's pretty straight forward - you race head to head, and you can draft if you want. On the bike, you are racing head-to-head, albeit seeded by your swim fitness/ability, but you are racing under modified ITT rules that are propreitary to the sport of triathlon. Then on the run we are back to head to head racing and do anything you want. I think that some strongly believe the bike leg of a triathlon is a pure ITT, but it's clearly not - you are racing head to head with the other people on the course and they have an impact on what you can and can't do or want to do - there is a strategy and a dynamic, a bit like bike road racing, but without the drafting(hopefully!!) In a pure ITT it's pretty straight forwad - you put your head down and you go absolutly as hard and as fast as you can!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The point of the post is the drafting. The drafting occurred throughout the race, but especially after 70 miles. How does a TT swim start even remotely affect this? That logic defies me. How many TT swim starts I've done is not at issue. Swim times are not the issue. The issue is moral character and punishment for cheating.
It's easy to figure out if you've done both types of events. The mass-start swim does affect drafting on the bike, even later in the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry. You are wrong. From within the race, I saw many willingly make the decision to break the rules, pure and simple. They didn't say, "oh I wish it was a TT swim start so I couldn't do this". They cheated, pure and simple. Front of the race, middle, back. I saw large packs like the video shown, and many guys in 3's and 4's, sucking wheel after 70. Cheaters, no matter how you want to interpret it.

Gary Geiger

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry. You are wrong. From within the race, I saw many willingly make the decision to break the rules, pure and simple. They didn't say, "oh I wish it was a TT swim start so I couldn't do this". They cheated, pure and simple. Front of the race, middle, back. I saw large packs like the video shown, and many guys in 3's and 4's, sucking wheel after 70. Cheaters, no matter how you want to interpret it.

I agree with you 100% that a TT start won't completely stop cheaters from choosing to suck wheel at any point in the race. It will however lessen the numbers who do it by...
1. Spacing out the riders more from the start and eliminating the huge packs of 1:15 swimmers who are all starting the bike at the same time.
2. Lessening the thought that you have to stay with someone in order to beat them, due to the fact that you don't know where they started relative to you.

Why do you think the pack riders chose to draft? Where they trying to achieve a "personal best", crowding due to the mass start, or was it the desperation to stay with their competion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, give credit where credit is due: no centerline violations! You'll never see that while exiting a corner in a road race...
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's pathetic seeing that. And for the people saying it's becasue of the corner, the reason they're all bunched up is becasue they came into the corner as a group. Yet here's the funny part: everyone will bitch and complain, and then go ahead and sign up for another race to have the same experience (I'm guilty). Join the herd, but get your head out of your arse in thinking that it will be 'different' next year.

(Not responding directly to you Roady).
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the 'corner' excuse is pretty comical, isn't it? Let me get this right--a fast corner, and a bunch of triathletes on tri bikes are going to be CLOSER together? hmmm......
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, like the corner, which takes maybe 20 seconds to navigate out of ~5 hours, is going to cause 30 guys to bunch up to being one wheel length (or less) apart. To whoever thinks that's the cause: please try harder and come up with something more amusing. The board is short on entertainment so far this am...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is like any other sport, such as basketball or football, soccer etc.. Certain behaviors on the field are called penalties or fouls. For example a team may be offsides, there maybe pass interference, there may be a blocking foul, goal tending, 3 second violation. Now sometimes these actions are seen by the referees and get called and the appropriate team gets penalized, other times the ref misses the call, and things happen. I don't consider this cheating.

People really just need to STFU and do their own race, and stop whining about especially when they weren't even there.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [iron3fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beleive it or not, many of us have done more than enough races to know what happened on the course that day, even if we weren't there. It's those past expereinces that make seeing this continue frustrating as hell, particulary when there's little effort to solve the problem. I spent 5 minutes considering trying to sign up for IM FL next year until reading a few threads about the drafting, and then chastising myself for being out of my mind to even consider it.

BTW, it's not a team sport, and drafting for 112 miles (or close to it) is far different than a one-off missed penalty since the bike is the longest leg of an IM and the easist to gain an unfair advantage on. But to use your football example, it's more like one team getting away with pass interference calls for the entire game while the other team gets penalized instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It just amazes me the justifications cheaters will come up with for their total lack of a moral compass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok... you got me there! haha. However, he was not the one complaining....

"Spectacular achievements are always preceded by spectacular preparation."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't consider this cheating.
Unbelieveable. And sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now sometimes these actions are seen by the referees and get called and the appropriate team gets penalized, other times the ref misses the call, and things happen. I don't consider this cheating.
v. intr.
  1. To act dishonestly; practice fraud.
  2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.

The absurd attitudes on display here are the reason this happens. Newsflash folks: the fact that you don't get caught or don't care if you do doesn't mean you're not cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Ironman Florida in video [IronRod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I don't remember Florida being this bad in 2001 and 2002 when I did it, but I can't argue with the current situation. I wont make the mistake of signing up for it again.[/quote] Same here tjs. I did IMF in 2000/2001 and drafting wasn't a problem. Did it last year and drafting on the bike was rampant. Won't be going back again.
Depends on where you are on the course at what time.. Drafting has always been a problem at imf I've done every one except last year.
now 2001 I was bit slower than 2000 but both 2000 and 2001 where I was on highway 20 there were packs(5:18 and 5:36 bike) but I'm a slow swimmer as well.
2002 I caught up with a bunch of packs(5:12 bike) I was yelling at them jacked my heart rate up tried to run from them no luck.
Then I just gave up slowed down while they went on and I got my heart rate back down and here came the motorcylce.. I watched them go up and bam pulled two over.
then a little later here they came again pulled one over this went on for a few miles finally broke them up..(I was about 50 to 100 meters back watching the whole thing loved it...I was cheering yelling at the guys pulled over "BUSTED" and thanked the marshal..
Saturday I was bit further back than usual and I didn't see the draft marshal maybe twice back there and even in the slower bikers along 388 there were bunch of guys drafting off of faster girls into the head wind.

BUT that was in the charlie crawford days... Now they do this wimpie no time penalty except for drafting and they don't stand them down.
I'd be willing to be some of these guys got dinged for drafting but kept on until they got to a penalty tent then picked up another group maybe some got dq'd does anybody have the numbers...

But used to they had to pull over and stand down which forced you to get out.

Also conditions were more adapt at causing drafting this year with the smooth swim and the tail winds or little wind everyone was fast even with out drafting..

Bet they had more starters as well than back in 2000 and 2001...
Quote Reply

Prev Next