Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What do you do with your medals?
Quote | Reply
I have raced in my first two triathlons in ten years and am admittedly hooked. I have received a couple of medals as I have crossed the finish line, one of which was given to my 4 year old and the other to my 5 year old. Don't worry, my 9 year old is next is line. Just curious if anyone does anything creative (or not creative) with the hardware you get when you finish.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your medals? [switchtotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine are in a box in my storeage closet with my trophies and track ribbons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang them around the neck of a coconut Monkey named, shockingly, "Trophy Monkey."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Get a couple of wooden pegged tie racks and hang em in a discreet place in your home. I love looking back at my old medals, it always sparks a memory or two (good and bad!) that helps keep me motivated.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a curtain rod that I hang all of mine on.

Are we there yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of mine are hanging in our kitchen - one of the walls has a board with a bunch of hooks, and there's quite an assortment of stuff there. Christmas ornaments, dried flowers, race medals... all that good stuff. My dorm room gets decorated with race numbers/medals/pictures/posters during the school year.

I ran a 15k a couple weeks ago and they gave out medals for that, except all the medals said "Sugarloaf marathon," not sugarloaf 15k (there was a marathon too). My brother took the medal from me after the race and wore it around... and he wore it to school the next day, to see if anyone would notice. He said that all the teachers asked, "how did your sister do in her race?" :)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your medals? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Geeves to look after my medals for me:

Though from the looks of it, the poor old chap needs a cane or something. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually I give them away. I consider them bad luck, same with race finisher T-shirts. It's like, if you flaunt that stuff, you are asking for disaster. It's hubris. I have kept some, and I have a little display at home of my medals from the 2000 Raid Gauloises Vietnam, the 96 Eco-Challenge, the 1999 Marathon Des Sables, the 2001 Jordan Telecom Desert Cup and the Antarctic Marathon. I think this is the only place in the world where you can see all these medals in one place (speaking of flaunting...).

Other than that though, I give them to the people who help me get to and participate in the races I do.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take them off the lanyard, put them on hooks and use them to decorate my Christmas tree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just about all of my place medals and plaques are sitting in a box in the basement.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put them in a shoe box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people here know Russ Jones - a SoCal 50+ YO local who wins just about every race he enters and a former 2:17 marathoner (was supposed to go to Moscow Olympics). I went to his house, dropping him off after a race. Showed off his huge trophy case full of huge trophies (OK, not Stanley Cup size). He opened a drawer, which was nearly full of medals and tossed his 1st place medal he earned that day into it and slammed it shut while stating, "They don't give out hardware like they used to in the old days."

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
display medals? - nope. But I printed out my e-receipt from Active.com for $470 for CdA 2007 taped to my bathroom mirror.

Bike Sherpa
Fully Assembled Bike Transporters
http://www.bikesherpa.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The medals are generally strewn throughout dresser drawers, garage, toolboxes, closets, etc... Finishers T-shirts I always get the smallest size I can and give them to my kids.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your medals? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a lot of them hanging around my cube at work. Keeps me reminded why I put up with all
the politics here.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine are on curtain rods covering the windows in my basement workout room and bike room. I also cover the doors in the same rooms with all mine and my wifes race numbers. Finsher certificates and posters and race pictures are framed on the walls. Awards are on the shelves in the workout room. It makes for a great atmosphere to get you in the mood to work out or do a little maintance on the bike. Looks pretty cool too!
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your medals? [GoFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great way to stay motivated. I'll have to put up my bank account statement showing my payment for IMAZ next year.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a titanflex replica out of my medals. I then used the ribbons to make a switch so that I could flog myself every time I though about taking it out in public :)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your medals? [GoFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I printed out my e-receipt from Active.com for $470 for CdA 2007 taped to my bathroom mirror.

Now THAT's a classic idea...I love it!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your medals? [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, the Titanflex is already no more. I raced on it twice and decided that it was not really for me...Smart ass!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw you'd sold it so therefore I couldn't be mocking you :)

New bike time for you! Jealous :(

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do with your medals? [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New frame time anyway. As you obviously saw, I stripped off the parts since I got them at a really good price. I'll post pics of the new bike when it becomes reality. Hopefully, I can even call it pjorn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heh heh, you might not even have to put your helmet on before reading the replies this time :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made the mistake of giving a finisher's medal to my 3 year old. Now every time she knows I'm going to a race she gives me the shy, tuck her chin, and cock her head look and asks me if I'm going to win her a medal. Just adds a wee bit of pressure thinking that I may disappoint her, she'll lose all respect for me when she's young, resent me as she grows older, rebel against me as a teenager, and cause her a life of psychological problems. I tend to be an optimist.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My swimming and T&F ones from high school and college are still somewhere in my parents' house. The triathlon and running medals are currently flipped over a hook in my master bedroom closet.

Someday when I feel like I've got enough of them, I'm going to follow up on my long-term threat that I'll get crafty and turn them into a set of decorative wind chimes, since they already tinkle nicely when I slam that closet door.
Quote Reply

Prev Next