Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Registration: WTC Can Now be Selective & Impose Requirements On Participants [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't help you there. :-) Why does any of it matter? Because I have a broken shoulder and choose to discuss the things I find interesting? I find human behavior interesting, and have always been sort of puzzled, not by the 95 people why say, "I did Californiaman last weekend", but by the 5 people who say, "I did the Ironman in Davis last weekend." That seems worth discussing, I think. Why? Can't really say.

But why do you insist these 5 are lying? Your posts on this subject connote some need to believe that these people are intentionally lying in order to boost their self esteem by claming to have done an Ironman race, when in fact, they "only" did an indie 140.6 race. That suggests to me that you have some kind of feeling that completing a non-Ironman branded 140.6 race is somehow an inferior accomplishment, and that these 5 people know this and have some deep-seated need to cast their accomplishment as the equal to finishing an Ironman-branded race. I think you're reading too much into that.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Registration: WTC Can Now be Selective & Impose Requirements On Participants [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do say that. And I just received a cease-and-desist order from the Kimberly-Clark Corporation for my unauthorized use of the term. Guess, like that NYC underground race, I should have not posted on ST about it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, people really say that. To ensure that my houseguests and I never lie, not even inadvertently, I always buy Kleenex brand facial tissue. I get upset if the office manager purchases generic yellow stickies, because then I cannot use "Post-It Notes" in any phrase. We use a Xerox copiers / printer in our office, so I'm OK there. It really bugged me when we had the Konica.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That has definitely not been my observation. In fact, I have found the opposite to be true. It seems rare indeed for someone to call Vineman, "Ironman". I just never hear that, ever."

----------

Maybe that's because the people you are hearing are knowledgeable about the sport of triathlon and live in that region and know that both apply traits apply to you. Therefore, they are communicating very specifically with you. Rather than communicating that last week they did a race consisting of a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 bike ride and a 26.2 mile run, they are describing to you a specific event, on a specific course at a specific date. If they were communicating with the guy in the office next door who just moved to California and plays alot of golf, they might describe the activity in far more generic terms.

On the other hand, maybe those 5% just think the "Ironman" TM holder is evil because they have not instituted a 15 hour cutoff and are doing everything within their power to dilute the TM.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Registration: WTC Can Now be Selective & Impose Requirements On Participants [runner man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am probley coming in way beyond what I should be on this topic and if this was said, please forgive me. What makes you think that this person who has only run a 5k cannot get into race shape by next year? Don't you think your a bit elitest? No doubt that it is the wild wild west when it comes to m-dot events but I also don't think that people should be punished for not doing a half before an IM either. there are going to be some people who don't complete the event but there are aslo some pro's who don't finish. who are we to say who is and who is not in shape?

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Ironman Registration: WTC Can Now be Selective & Impose Requirements On Participants [jtntexas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities; you have offended mine. Profanity aside, it irritates me this continual push to limit sports to those who are "good", however you define that. You are assuming that the 10 min. miler does not work as hard as you do and your assumption is dead wrong. Plus, there is a big difference between a 5K and an Ironman. One is more about stand-alone speed and the other about endurance. I agree that a 10 min. miler won't win an Ironman, but a 10 min. miler can post a more than respectable time. Triathlon is more than just run speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Registration: WTC Can Now be Selective & Impose Requirements On Participants [jtntexas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]

And sorry to be so un-pc, but if you can't run faster than 31 min, you suck. [/reply]

Well FUCK all! I guess I suck. Thanks for the clarification. I'll just look at my IM Hawaii medal tonight (which I did qualify for), just to confirm.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The accomplishments have NOTHING to do with it. 140.6 is hard no matter how you slice it. I just find it sort of strange that people feel the need to transplant the name of one race to another, rather than call their race by name.

It's ok for me to find it strange, it's ok for (you) to find it not strange. It's ok to discuss.

I think.

I would agree with you, if you hadn't used such vitriolic language in your original posts, accusing people of "lying" about finishing an Ironman. Why the hate?

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Last edited by: Martin C: Oct 31, 06 14:52
Quote | Reply
Even when I go to a non-DQ ice-cream store, I still order a 'blizzard'.

I don't have the desire to memorize which ice cream store calls them a flurry or a mixy-freeze or storm or an avalanche or whatever ... everyone knows what a "blizzard" is no matter what it's actually called.

When I tell people I'm eating a blizzard, I'm not trying to deceive them into thinking I went to DQ rather than mom & pops ice-cream store down the street. Furhtermore, no matter where I went when I say I am eating a "reese's cup blizzard" they know exactly what I'm getting at.

I don't see anyone ridiculing IMNA for using a football term, or by saying that IMNA is intentionally lying by trying to say that triathletes that finish their race are as tough as the "old school" football players that use to play "both ways" (offense and defense). maybe you should bring that issue up. =)

So if we just established that one group is knowledgeable, are you saying there is another group who is "not" knowledgeable?

Isn't that obvoius? How many people out of 100 could accurately label the distances of an IM race?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Oct 31, 06 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Registration: WTC Can Now be Selective & Impose Requirements On Participants [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I confess. I am a habitual liar, now that I think about it. I have gone to the non-Starbucks coffee shop and ordered a "tall" coffee.

I am an evil, evil person.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I really don't know what a "Blizzard" is....

....but I want to.

I'll buy.

Later ... Trick or Treat time.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Registration: WTC Can Now be Selective & Impose Requirements On Participants [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well FUCK all! I guess I suck. Thanks for the clarification. I'll just look at my IM Hawaii medal tonight (which I did qualify for), just to confirm.

I think that jtntexas has no clue that you are both Irish and a redhead. Someone ought to set him straight before he gets hurt.

;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Registration: WTC Can Now be Selective & Impose Requirements On Participants [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities; you have offended mine. Profanity aside, it irritates me this continual push to limit sports to those who are "good", however you define that. You are assuming that the 10 min. miler does not work as hard as you do and your assumption is dead wrong. Plus, there is a big difference between a 5K and an Ironman. One is more about stand-alone speed and the other about endurance. I agree that a 10 min. miler won't win an Ironman, but a 10 min. miler can post a more than respectable time. Triathlon is more than just run speed. "

_____-

No worries, you haven't offended me in the slightest. I GUARANTEE that a person that can't run a 31 min 5k does not work as hard as I do unless there is 1)age (like late 60's/early 70's) 2) weight morbidity or 3) complete inactivity. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if you can't run a 5k in 31 minutes, I submit that you don't run enough or as frequently as I do. Period. You might have your excuses, but you don't. 31 minutes is not "stand alone speed". The average human can walk briskly at 4 mph, or a 15 minute mile. A 10 minute mile is subgait, meaning you are "jogging" not running. Certainly not anything near "speed".
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Registration: WTC Can Now be Selective & Impose Requirements On Participants [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

And sorry to be so un-pc, but if you can't run faster than 31 min, you suck.

clm

______

If you need to look at your medal for validation, all power to you. But it proves the seminal point, you need validation. At the same time, make no mistake about it: if someone has toed the line at a dozen IM's, and is currently training, and still can't break 31 min for a 5k, you need all the validation that you can get. So give that medal a kiss from me :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if we just established that one group is knowledgeable, are you saying there is another group who is "not" knowledgeable?
----------------

yes, not knowledgeable regarding the sport of triathlon, populated by, among others, the golfer who recently moved to California in my example.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Today my coworker sneezed. I said, "Here is a Kleenex."
Do people really say that? I've always heard, "Here is a tissue." Always. Every, single, time. ;-)
Well I guess if you haven't heard it it must not be true. Many people say 'Kleenex' when referring to a tissue. Although I personally don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]

And sorry to be so un-pc, but if you can't run faster than 31 min, you suck. [/reply]

clm
I'm torn between agreeing with you that he is a douchebag and being amazed that you managed to work into another post that you've done Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you do. It has cow puss in it! ;)

--------
Canadian resident again 10/31/2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have I stumbled onto some kind of contest for Son of Swimfan Pr*ck of the Day?

You ROCK, ironclm!

kate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call B.S. on that last post.... Sorry, but you simply don't know what you are talking about.

10min/mile for 3 miles is tough for anyone who has not run any sort of distance before. That was me 2 years ago. I could easily complete a century bike ride in 6 hours, and could swim broken 1000's at 1:40 pace, all well within the realm of IM. I had simply never ran any distance.

Flash forward to today, and I can easily complete the 5k in under 30 min, do the century in around 5 hrs, and regularly swim the 2.4 mile in under 1 hr.

Just because you can't do something at the time you sign up for the IM race, doesn't mean that you won't be able to perform come race day. There are thousands of examples of this each year in the IM races, and they include some of the most inspiring stories.

Also, the analogy on mini-golf vs US open doesn't work. you have to meet a specific handicap, and qualify in one of the opening events. Very similar to how one gets to Kona.

gbassett.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Registration: WTC Can Now be Selective & Impose Requirements On Participants [WineTrader67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are so right. take a look at this:

17th Annual Great Floridian Triathlon
Individual Entry (Early Entry Savings Special through Nov. 30) $350.00

Are you kidding me? the EARLY entry fee for that race is almost what an IM costs. After Nov. 30th it will be $400.

When you compare that race , to what ANY IRONMAN provides, regarding services , meals, ETC. Ironman is killing their competition on Service. Pick your country, and pick your Ironman, they are selling out races on quality and service, because 2nd place in the Race business is a HUGE gap. Not to mention the have one other thing, called a Brand.

JB.
Quote Reply

Prev Next