Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are constantly being passed on the right, then you are constantly blocking.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

I do not believe having officials at a race has nothing to do about insurance or issues.

I agree.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 21, 17 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
If you are constantly being passed on the right, then you are constantly blocking.

Again, you jump to conclusions, but I will let you believe what you want.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then explain it. YOU said you have seen a lot of illegal passing on the right. The only time I've ever had to pass on the right is when someone is blocking. All I know is that on most courses, if you are in the proper position then you can't be passed on the right. Why is it happening to you so often if not blocking?

Edit: to quote you verbatim: "I have loved it this year how many times I was passed on the right by folks illegally. "
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Jul 21, 17 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Well then explain it. YOU said you have seen a lot of illegal passing on the right. The only time I've ever had to pass on the right is when someone is blocking. All I know is that on most courses, if you are in the proper position then you can't be passed on the right. Why is it happening to you so often if not blocking?

Edit: to quote you verbatim: "I have loved it this year how many times I was passed on the right by folks illegally. "

Agree. If it's a non-Draft legal race and you're passed on the right then you're to far left. This is blocking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Nah, would rather just let you assume the negative.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave - this is how you typically try to get out of a discussion...throw dirt on the other person for being negative, making assumptions, or whatever. Anything but providing an explanation. So, if it's not blocking, please enlighten us, otherwise you are just pleading the 5th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Dave - this is how you typically try to get out of a discussion...throw dirt on the other person for being negative, making assumptions, or whatever. Anything but providing an explanation. So, if it's not blocking, please enlighten us, otherwise you are just pleading the 5th.

Nope, that is how you want to look at it.

No different than lots of time folks accuse me of things on ST. I have no desire to play these games with folks that already think they know what happened.
I will not play the snowflake game.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly, you are being the snowflake here. I'm ready to eat humble pie if you can just explain why you are constantly being passed on the right. I thought you had tougher skin. If you were inadvertently blocking, just say it. Instead, you cast aspersions.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Jul 21, 17 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Clearly, you are being the snowflake here. I'm ready to eat humble pie if you can just explain why you are constantly being passed on the right. I thought you had tougher skin. If you were inadvertently blocking, just say it. Instead, you cast aspersions.

Nope, I am not going to take the bait. You jumped to the conclusion I cheated, Great, be my guest and think you know. I see this on ST all the time.
Yep, I am a total rule breaker. I have no idea what I am ever talking about. I am a BOP racer. And if it makes you happy, I am the best snowflake on ST.
New want to be anything but the best, right. :)

Who said constantly on the right? You cannot even quote correctly, which is again why you win, you have seen all this happen first hand, and already know the answers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

LOL, I love it. Yeah, Dave I can't think of a single scenario where it wouldn't be blocking. You ride on the right unless passing. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with being a hater or whatever other kind of silliness you want to dream up. I could possibly see you biking a little more left if the shoulder isn't deemed safe enough to bike on and in that scenario, if someone is passing you on the right they are an idiot, but other than that, you are blocking.
There should be officials at all races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Nope, I am not going to take the bait. You jumped to the conclusion I cheated, Great, be my guest and think you know. I see this on ST all the time.
Yep, I am a total rule breaker. I have no idea what I am ever talking about. I am a BOP racer. And if it makes you happy, I am the best snowflake on ST.
New want to be anything but the best, right. :)

Who said constantly on the right? You cannot even quote correctly, which is again why you win, you have seen all this happen first hand, and already know the answers.

How quickly we forget what we said. That would be you again. To quote Dave: "I have loved it this year how many times I was passed on the right by folks illegally. "
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big difference between I did not see a race official (easily could happen) and there was no race official (dubious).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Agreed. He's pulling a Donald Trump. Opps. Maybe this should go to the LR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

It is up to the RD if they want to pay to have USAT officials at their race.

But since MOST athletes never help, just take, well, ....

Our paying $$$ for events is not helping? I (we) shouldn't be expected to volunteer our time nor should would be expected to become race officials. Isn't that why we pay $$$?

Wow, you really must not know how our sport works. I guess all the volunteers should stop helping at races since none of us ever get paid directly.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I know how the sport works. I know that volunteers are integral to making races work. We can debate the substance of that all day long. What I typed was that we shouldn't be expected to volunteer or help. Least of which should any of us be expected to become race officials. Most of these races aren't run by 501c3 non-profits so it irks me a fair bit that race companies are making money largely off the backs of free labor. I get the argument that races "might" not be around if all the labor was paid because registration fees would increase but there needs to be a solution to that, especially with whatever precedent is set with the current lawsuits. That all stated, I (we) shouldn't be expected to volunteer. I really dislike how the race companies hold that over the athlete's heads that there will be no race unless we get your free labor.

Your quote that most athletes never help is just a shit comment because I shouldn't be expected to help with something that I paid for. If I order a coffee from Starbucks, and they're taking too long to make it because they're busy, should I be expected to jump over the counter and help them sling drinks? Nope! I will either choose to wait or take my business elsewhere.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Our paying $$$ for events is not helping? I (we) shouldn't be expected to volunteer our time nor should would be expected to become race officials. Isn't that why we pay $$$?

Wow, you really must not know how our sport works. I guess all the volunteers should stop helping at races since none of us ever get paid directly.

I know how the sport works. I know that volunteers are integral to making races work. We can debate the substance of that all day long. What I typed was that we shouldn't be expected to volunteer or help. Least of which should any of us be expected to become race officials. Most of these races aren't run by 501c3 non-profits so it irks me a fair bit that race companies are making money largely off the backs of free labor. I get the argument that races "might" not be around if all the labor was paid because registration fees would increase but there needs to be a solution to that, especially with whatever precedent is set with the current lawsuits. That all stated, I (we) shouldn't be expected to volunteer. I really dislike how the race companies hold that over the athlete's heads that there will be no race unless we get your free labor.

Your quote that most athletes never help is just a shit comment because I shouldn't be expected to help with something that I paid for. If I order a coffee from Starbucks, and they're taking too long to make it because they're busy, should I be expected to jump over the counter and help them sling drinks? Nope! I will either choose to wait or take my business elsewhere.

I do agree totally with you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Most of the USAT races I do have zero officials, and I am totally fine with that. :)

Not even a USAT Race Referee based around transition? Seems unlikely.

Every race I have done this season locally, minus Auburn, had zero and I mean zero officials. And that is fine with me.

I've also been at multiple USAT sanctioned events that didn't appear to have any USAT officials present in transition or on the course. I'm not fine with that, but I tolerate it at events which I know to be generally safe and where the majority of my peers attempt to follow the rules even though there are likely no officials to bust them.

I don't have a problem paying the USAT annual membership. It's insignificant in my total yearly budget for endurance sports. I do have an issue if I believe that USAT isn't paying attention to members like me.

Can I ask you to explain how the second statement you made here (which I do not agree with btw) is the cause of the first statement you made?
I ask because it appears to me that you are saying that the RDs choose not to pay to have officials at the race because MOST athletes are lazy and/or greedy. Did I read that correctly?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Exactly what I was going to say.

-Tony Zamora
http://www.endorphinhub.com
USA Triathlon Level 2
Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Most of the USAT races I do have zero officials, and I am totally fine with that. :)

Not even a USAT Race Referee based around transition? Seems unlikely.

Every race I have done this season locally, minus Auburn, had zero and I mean zero officials. And that is fine with me.

I've also been at multiple USAT sanctioned events that didn't appear to have any USAT officials present in transition or on the course. I'm not fine with that, but I tolerate it at events which I know to be generally safe and where the majority of my peers attempt to follow the rules even though there are likely no officials to bust them.

I don't have a problem paying the USAT annual membership. It's insignificant in my total yearly budget for endurance sports. I do have an issue if I believe that USAT isn't paying attention to members like me.

Can I ask you to explain how the second statement you made here (which I do not agree with btw) is the cause of the first statement you made?
I ask because it appears to me that you are saying that the RDs choose not to pay to have officials at the race because MOST athletes are lazy and/or greedy. Did I read that correctly?

I did not say that.

I said that the RD does choose if they want officials, and the RD has to pay for them.

I did not say MOST athletes are lazy and/or greedy. I say that most athletes, as has been written over the years on ST, do just take from the sport. I see very few who
volunteer. Very very few up step up and become an official. So from giving back to the sport, yep must just take. Overall lazy, not Type A's. But a lot of type A's do not seem to want to give back.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [smoothoperator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I applaud LTF for their decision. USAT has lost their way on many fronts and from the event side pretty much have become an (expensive) insurance provider and not much more. LTF will be able to use a tremendous amount of money (15 per person) and invest it as they feel will best serve their audience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I did not say MOST athletes are lazy and/or greedy..

At least not until your next sentence...

Quote:
I say that most athletes, as has been written over the years on ST, do just take from the sport. I see very few who volunteer. Very very few up step up and become an official. So from giving back to the sport, yep must just take. Overall lazy, not Type A's..

Yep, after we eliminate the "very few who volunteer" and "Very very few [who] up step up and become an official", we're pretty much left with "most"...

So all those who just show up and pay the entry fees aren't contributing at all to the continued survival of the individual race, and the sport in general?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
I did not say MOST athletes are lazy and/or greedy..

At least not until your next sentence...

Quote:
I say that most athletes, as has been written over the years on ST, do just take from the sport. I see very few who volunteer. Very very few up step up and become an official. So from giving back to the sport, yep must just take. Overall lazy, not Type A's..

Yep, after we eliminate the "very few who volunteer" and "Very very few [who] up step up and become an official", we're pretty much left with "most"...

So all those who just show up and pay the entry fees aren't contributing at all to the continued survival of the individual race, and the sport in general?

Total bigly snowflake alert...how dare you bring facts and quotes to Dave. He is always right and when he's wrong, cries like a baby in the corner and calls you a bully.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Hgwy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hgwy1 wrote:
I applaud LTF for their decision. USAT has lost their way on many fronts and from the event side pretty much have become an (expensive) insurance provider and not much more. LTF will be able to use a tremendous amount of money (15 per person) and invest it as they feel will best serve their audience.

Was on a training ride yesterday with buddies and this whole USAt/Lifetime situation came up. And I have to admit, our one guy who slows us down the most- yet was a race director a few years back- put this in a view that I frankly would like to hear what others think about. I’ve been a big USAT fan and was surprised by the Lifetime move, but now I am thinking harder about this split.

1) 1) USAT states they have “sanctioned more than 40,000 races over the past 35 years”. Big numbers! But let’s forget about events that date back to a time before computers and when only water was passed out at aid stations. How many events did USAT sanctioned in 2015? 2016? The race director said it was about 1500-1600 a year. Still big numbers, and lots of money pulled in for each of these sanctioning application fees (which runs the RD about $200-$400) and all the one day memberships that are pulled in. On top of, each USAT sanctioned race MUST have a USAT certified race director, which costs a crazy amount of money (paid to USAT) to take the course and be certified.
2)
2) 2) Many people in triathlon think of the USAT SANCTION as a gold standard, the big seal of approval for a proper and safe race with officials to enforce the rules. Yet it is really only a RD filling out an on-line sanction form consisting of about 20 questions, many of which are the RD’s name/address/phone/date of event and then paying their sanctioning fee. A better question may be HOW MANY USAT RACES ARE DECLINED SANCTIONING? Again, the RD in our group says he can’t think of one event that was actually even declined. and he was witness to many poor events, yet USAT would sanction again the next year. So the magical USAT Sanction stamp doesn’t seem so magical anymore for me.
3)
3) USAT states there are no “surprises” using USAT rules and USAT Officials. Our RD used officials, paid dearly for them only to have athletes not know they were penalized and if they did actually know there was a penalty unsure exactly what they did. The cost of having officials is all on the RD and some officials live far away incurring an even higher travel fee. There was no shortage of officials, just the cost of getting them to his event became outlandish and USAT would not assist with the fee to keep the integrity of the event. He learned that there was NO USAT requirement to have officials at his events in order to be USAT sanctioned. It was easy math. He stopped using officials. The best estimate was that only about 30% of races use USAT Officials, and that is how USAT keeps the integrity of the sport.
4)
4) I am unsure why USAT states that having officials on motorized vehicles directing athletes in real time threatens on-course safety? Ironman does this! And USAT has no problem putting their sanctioning stamp on them and accepting all their sanctioning fees and one day memberships. USAT adds that short-courses races differ considerably from long-course races. What? So the short course races only have a 12 or 24 mile bike leg. Do the short-course athletes go that much faster than the long-course athletes? I don’t think so. Does IM not give penalties for the first 24 miles of their USAT sanctioned event that makes their system so much more solid. I think USAT is grabbing at straws here.

I’ll be watching this lifetime split. I’m definitely going to get to a few of their races next year to see how this goes first hand and think they are possibly on to something here.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [albertok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
albertok wrote:
Hgwy1 wrote:

Was on a training ride yesterday with buddies and this whole USAt/Lifetime situation came up. And I have to admit, our one guy who slows us down the most- yet was a race director a few years back- put this in a view that I frankly would like to hear what others think about. I’ve been a big USAT fan and was surprised by the Lifetime move, but now I am thinking harder about this split.

1) 1) USAT states they have “sanctioned more than 40,000 races over the past 35 years”. Big numbers! But let’s forget about events that date back to a time before computers and when only water was passed out at aid stations. How many events did USAT sanctioned in 2015? 2016? The race director said it was about 1500-1600 a year. Still big numbers, and lots of money pulled in for each of these sanctioning application fees (which runs the RD about $200-$400) and all the one day memberships that are pulled in. On top of, each USAT sanctioned race MUST have a USAT certified race director, which costs a crazy amount of money (paid to USAT) to take the course and be certified.
2)
2) 2) Many people in triathlon think of the USAT SANCTION as a gold standard, the big seal of approval for a proper and safe race with officials to enforce the rules. Yet it is really only a RD filling out an on-line sanction form consisting of about 20 questions, many of which are the RD’s name/address/phone/date of event and then paying their sanctioning fee. A better question may be HOW MANY USAT RACES ARE DECLINED SANCTIONING? Again, the RD in our group says he can’t think of one event that was actually even declined. and he was witness to many poor events, yet USAT would sanction again the next year. So the magical USAT Sanction stamp doesn’t seem so magical anymore for me.
3)
3) USAT states there are no “surprises” using USAT rules and USAT Officials. Our RD used officials, paid dearly for them only to have athletes not know they were penalized and if they did actually know there was a penalty unsure exactly what they did. The cost of having officials is all on the RD and some officials live far away incurring an even higher travel fee. There was no shortage of officials, just the cost of getting them to his event became outlandish and USAT would not assist with the fee to keep the integrity of the event. He learned that there was NO USAT requirement to have officials at his events in order to be USAT sanctioned. It was easy math. He stopped using officials. The best estimate was that only about 30% of races use USAT Officials, and that is how USAT keeps the integrity of the sport.
4)
4) I am unsure why USAT states that having officials on motorized vehicles directing athletes in real time threatens on-course safety? Ironman does this! And USAT has no problem putting their sanctioning stamp on them and accepting all their sanctioning fees and one day memberships. USAT adds that short-courses races differ considerably from long-course races. What? So the short course races only have a 12 or 24 mile bike leg. Do the short-course athletes go that much faster than the long-course athletes? I don’t think so. Does IM not give penalties for the first 24 miles of their USAT sanctioned event that makes their system so much more solid. I think USAT is grabbing at straws here.

I’ll be watching this lifetime split. I’m definitely going to get to a few of their races next year to see how this goes first hand and think they are possibly on to something here.

You are wrong on #1. The only races that must have a certified RD, which I and my wife have paid for and been to class, is for a Nationals event. Other than that, nope.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
albertok wrote:
Hgwy1 wrote:

2)
3)
4)

You are wrong on #1. The only races that must have a certified RD, which I and my wife have paid for and been to class, is for a Nationals event. Other than that, nope.

OK. USAT Certified just for National Events.
Yet this makes it even worse!
USAT will take money from anyone, no training or certification, any Joe that wants to put on a triathlon and slaps "USAT Sanctioned" on their event.
Thanks for that clarification Dave that makes me cringe even more.
Quote Reply

Prev Next