Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
RallySavage wrote:

I came in second in my age group at NYC Triathlon this weekend. I went to the Awards Ceremony where they made a big deal about being able to sign up on the spot for the “Championship” next year. I talked to a few other people and it didn’t seem to me like they were going to have a single taker across any of the age groups. Do they really think they are going to turn the NYC Triathlon into the Kona of Olympic distance? That people are going to fork over $300+ on the spot for a race 12 months away. It’s ridiculous. I think this is going to be an abysmal failure. I won’t even take my chances and sign up through the lottery for next year, and I’ve done it 3 years in a row. Like USAT said, if I can’t get a USAT score that will help me make All American, then I just as soon find a different local Olympic distance race where I can.

Since you have done it 3 years in a row, you know its an "event" and not a race.

NYC is a terrible place for a triathlon Championship. Now if they put on a duathlon Championship there, that would be awesome.

Well, it certainly felt like a race to me when I was pushing myself to the limit! But I get you main point, it's not a good venue for a championship race. Particularly with the changing currents in the Hudson across the start, and the different transition areas which change the amount of time you run to transition. Also, there is a least 2 hours separating the first wave form the last, which will make for much different air temperatures. I don't see how they can change any of that for next year. So at the very best, it's only a championship within your age group. Your not competing with other age group for overall placement.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're saying, but it sounds like the athlete still pays the fee, it's just rolled into the registration cost. I run registration for a swim program and we use Active. Active gives us a choice. We can "absorb" Actives fee so that the registrant just pays for one line item, the swim-team registration. Or we have two line items at check-out: the swim-team registration and the Active fee. But in the former all we do is is raise our price to account for Active's cut, so in reality the consumer is paying for Active, it's just not as obvious in the former case.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course does the athlete pay for it, that is what the entry fee is for. To pay for various fees and costs. But we do not "double dip."

In fact no one involved in the race takes money. No salary and no gas money. The only money I received from the race was for stuff I paid for with my personal money. IE, all the Boco Gear technical trucker hats for the athletes. Basically all goes back to the race and to the athletes. And what is left over goes to the NC park system.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Most of the USAT races I do have zero officials, and I am totally fine with that. :)

Not even a USAT Race Referee based around transition? Seems unlikely.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
in the former all we do is is raise our price to account for Active's cut, so in reality the consumer is paying for Active, it's just not as obvious in the former case.

the issue you guys are debating is drip pricing. it might not be a problem for you, but for some folks (me, for example) drip pricing is offensive. it's even illegal in some countries (australia).

now, you take that australia example, it's been a huge ironman success over the last half-dozen years, and drip pricing isn't allowed. you have to disclose the entire price in the beginning of a transaction, and even in your advertising. so, that hasn't seemed to keep ironman from flourishing. what it may do is keep companies from loading up the "fees" at the end.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
in the former all we do is is raise our price to account for Active's cut, so in reality the consumer is paying for Active, it's just not as obvious in the former case.

the issue you guys are debating is drip pricing. it might not be a problem for you, but for some folks (me, for example) drip pricing is offensive. it's even illegal in some countries (australia).

now, you take that australia example, it's been a huge ironman success over the last half-dozen years, and drip pricing isn't allowed. you have to disclose the entire price in the beginning of a transaction, and even in your advertising. so, that hasn't seemed to keep ironman from flourishing. what it may do is keep companies from loading up the "fees" at the end.

are you implying that the lack of drip pricing is (even somewhat) responsible for IM's success in Australia?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BlackStumpGumby wrote:

It probably should be illegal. There's a fair amount of evidence in behavioral economics that suggest that hidden fees increase consumer demand because of the initial perception of a lower price. Of course here in the US we routinely use the ultimate in drip pricing: the sales tax.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
are you implying that the lack of drip pricing is (even somewhat) responsible for IM's success in Australia?

i'm saying the lack of drip pricing doesn't seem to be hurting in australia. some of the folks here seem worried that if they absorb the fees into their price it will appear as if they're higher priced. i wrote about my local tire shop a few months ago, that sweeps almost all competition in our half-million population area away, and throws all convention aside while doing so (including drip pricing).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what's the benefit of RDs going with Active? Do they do it purely so they can take a cut of the Registration fee? I'm particularly interested in why independent races would use Active, when as consumers, we will enter a particular race regardless of who runs the online registration. Is it simply that quid pro quo?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm saying the lack of drip pricing doesn't seem to be hurting in australia. some of the folks here seem worried that if they absorb the fees into their price it will appear as if they're higher priced.

thanks for the clarification - that is compelling reasoning for letting go of anxiety for the mere appearance of a price increase.

reminds me of a friend's father who owned a grocery store in WY. The father never offered sales, because he found it insulting to pretend to offer a lower price up front, but then for that discounted price to get absorbed by other products in the store, so the customer was paying more at the counter - not perfect logic, but I can respect his bucking of preying on consumer psychology/behavior - this was a guy who in 2002 was using the reasoning that if a volcano went off tomorrow that released more CO2 than all fuel burning in history, that this somehow proves that climate change is not man made. I think owning property in WY and scientific reasoning are correlated (in one direction or another; moderated by ego).

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 20, 17 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So what's the benefit of RDs going with Active?

While I can't list every advantage some I noticed a few things from my friends' race production company last summer.

Ease of payment - whatever online company he used cut him a check - their fee. It was auto deposited weekly iirc

Database management - with a ton of races who ever enetered which race was auto populated to that race. He just woke up, logged on and had a list of everyone entered, which age group, name, email, address, USAT # & exp date, emergency contact etc. He could easily send event specific info out to all the racers. They also didn't have to hand enter any data except for onsite registration (mainly 5k-half marathons)

He could merge all his entrants into a common data base and slice it many different ways. Made analytics & marketing stuff way easier.

Save (his) time so he can focus on permitting, new venues, etc

There were other things but I don't remember all the benefits

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're saying, but it sounds like the athlete still pays the fee, it's just rolled into the registration cost. I run registration for a swim program and we use Active. Active gives us a choice. We can "absorb" Actives fee so that the registrant just pays for one line item, the swim-team registration. Or we have two line items at check-out: the swim-team registration and the Active fee. But in the former all we do is is raise our price to account for Active's cut, so in reality the consumer is paying for Active, it's just not as obvious in the former case.

Yep, I love when some try to say they do not charge fees, or do not hide them or or or. What you do is what I also did was I was an RD for a race. Since we allowed mail registration, we did not stick everyone with the hidden registration fee.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Most of the USAT races I do have zero officials, and I am totally fine with that. :)

Every race I have done this season locally, minus Auburn, had zero and I mean zero officials. And that is fine with me.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Every race I have done this season locally, minus Auburn, had zero and I mean zero officials. And that is fine with me.

So the races you do have no way to enforce the USAT rules? Seems like those races should not be USAT sanctioned then.

Also - Given the lack of officials, I wonder what happens when there is an insurance claim? If I were the insurance carrier, I'll decline on the stop if no one was enforcing the rules.

As an example - Lets say a bike doesn't have the bar plugs in and that rider crashes and punctures their body on that bar. USAT official should have caught that. If they are not there, who could. Why would the insurance carrier pay out if the race didn't enforce the rules....
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [smoothoperator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see them as overhead. I'm not sure what they do other than collect fees. If I am wrong they have a perception issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Slowman wrote:
in my opinion, we have 2 problems, and i've expressed this many times. people don't always make decisions based on "fair percentages" based on the calculation. i put on a race in 1997 bringing back the US Triathlon Series after a 5 year hiatus. we tried to bring in a whole new crop of first timers. worked our asses off to do that. the USAT head ref penalized 25 percent of my athletes. "they'll know better next time."

okay. but being told you're a cheater is offensive. having that kiss at the end of registration, when you THINK you know the cost, but it turns out that's NOT the cost, that's offensive. thankfully USAT has moved past that kind of thinking, but they haven't entirely moved past it.

what LTF has decided to do may work out well. it may work out badly. barry makes valid points. but USAT has a responsibility. it is failing (in my opinion) to address the problems LTF is addressing.

one real way, one good way, to keep the LTFs of the future from making the decision LTF made is to address the issues.

Dan, that was your choice to have USAT officials!! Most of the USAT races I do have zero officials, and I am totally fine with that. :)

Dave:
This was 20 years ago,1997, and Dan was bringing back the USTS series by putting on one race in Oceanside CA, using our Quintana Roo staff to get it going. In those days, there really wasn't much in the way of self-insurance, and the City of Oceanside required a big insurance policy. Quite frankly, all of us at QR and everybody we got to help, were pushed to limit and didn't have time to deal with re-inventing the insurance wheel. USAT sanctioning (insurance) came along with their refs. We had pros, we had a prize purse, and at that point, the officials were a pretty good idea. We didn't need them DQ'ing all the rookies, but that's a lesson we learned along the way.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I've also been at multiple USAT sanctioned events that didn't appear to have any USAT officials present in transition or on the course. I'm not fine with that, but I tolerate it at events which I know to be generally safe and where the majority of my peers attempt to follow the rules even though there are likely no officials to bust them.

I don't have a problem paying the USAT annual membership. It's insignificant in my total yearly budget for endurance sports. I do have an issue if I believe that USAT isn't paying attention to members like me.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 20, 17 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So a couple of thoughts/issues. A) I dont think there are enough usat officials to actually officiate *every* usat event. B) Now should that be a requirement to get race sanctioning....i would say yes. C) So then it becomes a game of race/sanctioning body juggling how to handle that situation.

Now I think the problem with forcing a race to have officials is actually the officials themselves. Or more directly, the community of triathletes that simply doesn't step up and fill that officials void. And I get why many don't officiate. If I was not an coach, I would actually officiate, as I've sat through the class. I've just not wanted to go through the conflict of interest. Maybe we could get more bike mechanics/runners to do it, etc. But officiating is freaking hard, and then of course you as the athletes *NEVER* break a rule. You were never in their draft zone, etc., so you get to argue/discuss the issue, and so officials have to have a thick skin to do the job effectively (which I think is likely the biggest reason why people dont do it).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get USAT ranking points from the event
---
Citation? Because-

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I've also been at multiple USAT sanctioned events that didn't appear to have any USAT officials present in transition or on the course. I'm not fine with that, but I tolerate it at events which I know to be generally safe and where the majority of my peers attempt to follow the rules even though there are likely no officials to bust them.

I don't have a problem paying the USAT annual membership. It's insignificant in my total yearly budget for endurance sports. I do have an issue if I believe that USAT isn't paying attention to members like me.

It is up to the RD if they want to pay to have USAT officials at their race.

But since MOST athletes never help, just take, well, ....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Athletes do give... the $15 each to be in a sanction USAT race. USAT should ensure a race official is there if it's going to be a sanctioned race.

-Tony Zamora
http://www.endorphinhub.com
USA Triathlon Level 2
Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Our paying $$$ for events is not helping? I (we) shouldn't be expected to volunteer our time nor should would be expected to become race officials. Isn't that why we pay $$$?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Our paying $$$ for events is not helping? I (we) shouldn't be expected to volunteer our time nor should would be expected to become race officials. Isn't that why we pay $$$?

Wow, you really must not know how our sport works. I guess all the volunteers should stop helping at races since none of us ever get paid directly.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume there is likely a shortage of USAT officials but I also assume that some USAT sanctioned RDs don't want USAT officials at their events because they don't want their participants, particularly newbies, being penalized for unfamiliar rules or rules they don't think they are important. They are worried that a penalized participant may decide not to sign up for another one of their races.

I'd be interested in what USAT's stance is on this and, as mentioned by B. McMaster, what happens if there is an injury claim at a sanctioned race where there weren't any USAT officials present? Do USAT's insurance lawyers represent the RD if a lawsuit if filed regarding the injury or do they tell the RD that the insurance coverage is void because there wasn't an official on site?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 21, 17 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I assume there is likely a shortage of USAT officials but I also assume that some USAT sanctioned RDs don't want USAT officials at their events because they don't want their participants, particularly newbies, being penalized for unfamiliar rules or rules they don't think they are important. They are worried that a penalized participant may decide not to sign up for another one of their races.

I'd be interested in what USAT's stance is on this and, as mentioned by B. McMaster, what happens if there is an injury claim at a sanctioned race where there weren't any USAT officials present? Do USAT's insurance lawyers represent the RD if a lawsuit if filed regarding the injury or do they tell the RD that the insurance coverage is void because there wasn't an official on site?

I do not believe having officials at a race has nothing to do about insurance or issues.

Officials cost the RD more money, and folks are complaining about the 15 buck one day license. Would folks like to pay another 15 bucks for the officials?

The officials get a few bucks to be at a race but it is NOT something anyone would do if it were a job putting food on their tables. AND, for the abuse an official gets
from an athlete that gets a penalty, well, until you have been in an officials shoes, .. As was stated, no athlete thinks they ever break the rules. I have loved it this
year how many times I was passed on the right by folks illegally.

Quote Reply

Prev Next