Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps participation in the sport hasn't dropped, but rather from races you pay for, which used to be half the cost. I am seeing many groups here in SD setting up their own races. Cost is free, just bring something for potluck BBQ after. People 'white elephant' prizes they got from other fitness events to award the winner. Timing is ghetto... Cellphone timer and a clipboard to write times down. Many of these people hate triathletes due to elitist nature, but do want to participate
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
not surprisingly, that response isn't really saying anything. unfortunately, USAT just isn't a ''value add'' for some athletes and/or races.

Agreed. For some of us (h20fun, myself), USAT provided a lot. But, we're participating in Nationals and Worlds and "enjoy" (for lack of a better word) the rankings. Nothing wrong there.

But for a majority of participants, especially the weekend warriors, they may not even know what USAT is or what it does. Two recent examples.

Two weekends ago, I did a small USAT sanctioned sprint triathlon in semi-rural Maine. 68 individuals and six relay teams participated. The LAST finisher was a 25 year old guy who rode a knobby wheeled mountain bike. I chatted with his mother while waiting for him to finish. This was his first triathlon and he was out to have fun. Given the size of the race, he actually placed first in his AG. When he received his award, he had the biggest smile on his face and received the loudest applause. I doubt he knew what USAT was even though he paid them $15 when he entered.

I raced the Draft Legal Duathlon in Bend. Coming up to the finish area, I passed a young guy who was definitely in pain. I met him hiding in the shade after the race and chatted. He was 19 years old and a Harvard undergrad. He specialized in track cycling and was not a runner but decided to race for the experience. This was his first duathlon and he said he had a blast. Again, other than being the host, I doubt he knew what USAT was.

Wow, there are two of us. Will I see you in Penticton?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Perhaps participation in the sport hasn't dropped, but rather from races you pay for, which used to be half the cost. I am seeing many groups here in SD setting up their own races. Cost is free, just bring something for potluck BBQ after. People 'white elephant' prizes they got from other fitness events to award the winner. Timing is ghetto... Cellphone timer and a clipboard to write times down. Many of these people hate triathletes due to elitist nature, but do want to participate

If folks I saw at races were like the few vocals on ST, I would find another sport also. Luckily, I have yet, in all my years of racing, found any of the negative energy against USAT at a race.

It is great people have options. Do a color run. etc. There are reasons in the USAT rankings the majority do not race the minimum number to be ranked. Just not their interest.

Not in all areas is the sport down. The last two USAP races sold out. That as not happened for years.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JustinPB wrote:
If USAT can come in and provide services to race directors at lower prices, they can drive up participation, which would be to the benefit of their overall mission.

are you also okay with somebody else coming in and providing sanctioning/membership/insurance services to RDs at lower prices?

As a race director, my answer is YES! I also would favor paying a higher price to sanction if it resulted in a lower one day fee for participants. I would like to see the fee get down to $10 or less. Perhaps a little bit of belt tightening and staff reduction at the corporate level could help lower the one-day fees?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan (& others who may know)-
What are the differences between USAT and other sanctioning bodies?
What is TriCanada doing, offering and charging?

I gladly admit I am a mushroom on this one (in the dark and shit on...)
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
RallySavage wrote:
That people are going to fork over $300+ on the spot for a race 12 months away. It’s ridiculous.

Well, people do it for Kona (but triple the money) and 70.3 WC (but another 50% more money)...

So yea, it's a solid model.

I just paid for WC 70.3 on the spot and was thrilled to be able to.

But you cannot replicate one part of the strategy and call it a solid model. Without me pointing them out, I'm sure you can identify all the ways in which the LT championship is different than IM championship and these differences are what makes it a solid model and make it so one enters an IM race with a goal of qualifying for the WC. LT has to get the hard parts of the model correct before they can do the easy part, which is charging people money on the spot for a championship race.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
xeon wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

i would love to see USAT and races end their relationship with them and have USAT add their own registration process that is included in their membership or one day fee.

Love this idea! If USAT came up with a race registration vehicle to offer their RDs and subsequent athletes, that could be a real game changer!

the quickest way for USAT to lose support of every strategic partner they have is to get into the various businesses of the rest of the industry. USAT started down this path about 7 years ago and it got an earful (i was in the room) from every major stakeholder.

everybody - registration companies, race directors, media, and others - honors USAT's place as the once national governing body deserving of shelter from competition. but that's only as good as USAT's performance of its job, and its reciprocal decision not to compete with the industry that does not compete with it. one USAT decides its going to get into every bit of business it wants, then its open season on the revenue stream USAT enjoys.

Slowman, of course others would object to USAT doing payment processing. i bet GM and Ford object toTesla making cars too. but market economies thrive off competition and market entrants who have a competitive advantage (be it a brand, channel relationships, economies of scale, etc) are smart to use their advantage to offer a service in a market where the competition is vulnerable.

Your argument seems superficial if you are relying on the reaction of profit driven companies who don't want their revenues to go down. i do agree thst USAT would fail if they entered every possible service market related to triathlons. But payment processing is one i could see them doing better than active.com as they already do many of the "value add" services Active provides and therefore USAT's variable cost for doing payment processing is less and in fact leverages their fixed cost across a greater base.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing to consider from the RD side. If they roll the fees into the registration their race is going to appear more expensive to enter.

If people have a choice between a race costing $245 but with hidden fees(but coming out to $275 after fees) and $275 inclusive they'll probably consider the first race a less expensive option even though the cost is ultimately the same.

The perception of the cost of race 2 is higher.

Do RD's want to take the risk of driving people away by wrapping the fees in? Or do they want to appear less expensive and make the bad guy the registration company?

IIRC FFBoots did this for one/some of his races. Someone more energetic than I can search the archives if they want to find out what happened to his registration #'s.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 19, 17 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
One thing to consider from the RD side. If they roll the fees into the registration their race is going to appear more expensive to enter.

If people have a choice between a race costing $245 but with hidden fees(but coming out to $275 after fees) and $275 inclusive they'll probably consider the first race a less expensive option even though the cost is ultimately the same.

The perception of the cost of race 2 is higher.

Do RD's want to take the risk of driving people away by wrapping the fees in? Or do they want to appear less expensive and make the bad guy the registration company?

IIRC FFBoots did this for one/some of his races. Someone more energetic than I can search the archives if they want to find out what happened to his registration #'s.

Most of the RD's I race with give you the option still to send in a paper entry, so one can totally bypass fees like active or credit card. Pretty simple for the RD to do if they really care about their customers.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [smoothoperator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The entry fee to our SwimRun NC race is $350 for a team of 2. Basically $175 per athlete for a memorable race that last 4 to 6 hours depending how fast you are. There is no registration fee added on, we eat it (pay it from your registration), no additional insurance (again gets pulled from your entry fee), and we do not charge you for race photos either.

Herbert
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may be a totally stupid question.

But what is the registration fees for race for? Is it easier for RD's?

or I guess I'm asking why is it easier or can RD not just send google doc type registration?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The money the race registration site takes for handling the registration and hosting it. Plus giving race directors various tools such as volunteer registration etc.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
The entry fee to our SwimRun NC race is $350 for a team of 2. Basically $175 per athlete for a memorable race that last 4 to 6 hours depending how fast you are. There is no registration fee added on, we eat it (pay it from your registration), no additional insurance (again gets pulled from your entry fee), and we do not charge you for race photos either.

Herbert

No one "eats" it. Are you saying the event loses real money? No way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx and yeah that makes sense.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
If active is ditched, all other similar registration processing sites tack on the stupid processing fees. Has something to do with credit card companies. Now I'm not sure, but I think papal avoids this exorbitant fee.

As for USAt, with decline in partipants you need to cut staff and salaries as well. Lean out more... that stupid magazine with repetitive info every year, it's as if they have an AI bot printing it

What value is there to the athletes? I would expect bike/run distances as advertised to be on point, if not more for margin of error

PayPal can be even worse in terms of the vig they charge.
Large organizations can often negotiate with their processor for beneficial terms (and will get the best deal on volume anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are not paying attention. This could easily be a fee that we add on for the racers to pay, but we choose not to do it. No one said anything about losing money.

h2ofun wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Herbert

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [SommerSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SommerSports,

I am curious to hear your perspective as an RD. Does USAT provide any tangible benefits to you?

As a participant, the only thing i differentiate are ironman races vs. iron-distance races.

Being a bit hypocritical, I never cared for USAT fees but do seek out UCI events for points, even though I am not at all competitive.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 19, 17 19:36
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to put words into their mouth, but as a local who races SommerSports events (which are very well run btw) I doubt they're big enough to self-insure or go through the hassle of procuring insurance outside of USAT.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [smoothoperator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, another long winded email from Barry Siff. At least he tries to give you $15 worth of fluff every now and then.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:

I came in second in my age group at NYC Triathlon this weekend. I went to the Awards Ceremony where they made a big deal about being able to sign up on the spot for the “Championship” next year. I talked to a few other people and it didn’t seem to me like they were going to have a single taker across any of the age groups. Do they really think they are going to turn the NYC Triathlon into the Kona of Olympic distance? That people are going to fork over $300+ on the spot for a race 12 months away. It’s ridiculous. I think this is going to be an abysmal failure. I won’t even take my chances and sign up through the lottery for next year, and I’ve done it 3 years in a row. Like USAT said, if I can’t get a USAT score that will help me make All American, then I just as soon find a different local Olympic distance race where I can.

Since you have done it 3 years in a row, you know its an "event" and not a race.

NYC is a terrible place for a triathlon Championship. Now if they put on a duathlon Championship there, that would be awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will I see you in Penticton?
---

I though that you only do USAT events.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
You are not paying attention. This could easily be a fee that we add on for the racers to pay, but we choose not to do it. No one said anything about losing money.

h2ofun wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Herbert

To say this is a fee the racers are not paying is, well, .....

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Will I see you in Penticton?
---

I though that you only do USAT events.

Let's see, I get USAT ranking points from the event, so :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why I even engage with you, as you hear what you want to hear.

The point was that we could have added on the entry fee after the fact and we chose not to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Responds to Life Time Fitness Announcement about "divorce" from USAT Sanctioning [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
NYC is a terrible place for a triathlon Championship. Now if they put on a duathlon Championship there, that would be awesome.

Agreed on the first part but not sure on the second. The bike course at NYC is not very challenging, so stronger bikers as well as stronger swimmers may avoid it as well.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next