Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Felt IA Disc [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried mounting a bottle cage & bottle underneath the dragonfly (with arms tilted up to 15 degrees) to simulate the set up that TJ Tollakson used to use??

I don't own an Alpha One (yet) but to me that seems like a great way to narrow up the arm pads and run a "BTA" bottle to push air around the arms and rider...

My (pad) set up now does not allow for a bottle between my arms unless I run something super skinny like an aero bottle since my elbows are close together...
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc [MikeyC-anada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeyC-anada wrote:
Has anyone tried mounting a bottle cage & bottle underneath the dragonfly (with arms tilted up to 15 degrees) to simulate the set up that TJ Tollakson used to use??

I don't own an Alpha One (yet) but to me that seems like a great way to narrow up the arm pads and run a "BTA" bottle to push air around the arms and rider...

My (pad) set up now does not allow for a bottle between my arms unless I run something super skinny like an aero bottle since my elbows are close together...
I have never seen this suggested before but I was so intrigued I had to go try it immediately. I just used the normal length screw but I think you would need something longer and a spacer as even though the bottle cage fits with this setup, when the bottle is inserted it expands the cage a bit and doesnt really work. I'd need some more breathing room. This is also mounted to the furthest two mounting holes forward. Looks like there is some space to slide it back. Reaching and replacing the bottle is a bit awkward but doable. I have max tilt on this setup (17.5) and the bottle I used is a fairly small one. With a further back cage I think a larger bottle would do okay. Definitely doesn't add a whole lot of frontal surface area but does add some from the side. And if my monopost was all the way down the rear of the cage may bump the front of the basebar where the monopost bolt is.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben - Thanks so much for trying this and laying it out.... I was thinking of using a longer bottle with the Speedfill bottlle lid. I thought this approach would help elongate the top part of the bottle and keep the lid and straw essentially tucked between the area of your arms and "top" surface of the bottle. This would also be a great place to store a couple gels...

Part of me is wondering if there is a way to make a cage / cage holder (3d printed) that acts like a fairing to clean up the transition between the bottle sides and the arm rests...

Its got me thinking! Thanks again!!

Cheers
Mike
Last edited by: MikeyC-anada: Jun 16, 20 3:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad I saw this suggestion as I finish setting-up my Alpha One - I think I am going to run one under and one above.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike, I bought an Alpha One a few months ago but still haven't gotten around to installing it given the lack of races. Are you currently running a Speedfill system on top of your extensions? Is it the full Aerobundle (A2+Z4) or just the A2? I think my ideal setup would be Aerobundle with a 1-Liter Zefal Magnum bottle, wondering if this is realistic with the Alpha One. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't own an Alpha One - just have been contemplating my purchase and looking for ways to clean up the front end even more before I take the plunge...

My idea for keeping it "bare bones" and close to stock was using the Speedfill A2 lid on a Fabric Cageless bottle so you would just have the studs mounted underneath the dragon fly. https://fabric.cc/...geless-bottle-600ml/

I am currently running a stock PD base bar and aero bar bracket system with an Aeria hydration bottle up front. Im looking to upgrade to clean up the front end bar and risers and also give me tilt without impacting reach (i can rotate my brackets back for my desired Mantis set up but it pulls the arm pads back behind the base bar)

Cheers
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA Disc [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben - I was thinking that the curvature of the bottle / cage might be too close to the radius of the underside on the dragonfly....

I was thinking of using this as a spacer / standoff and then it would let me adjust the position forward and back
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...and-accessory-device

Cheers
Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeyC-anada wrote:
Ben - I was thinking that the curvature of the bottle / cage might be too close to the radius of the underside on the dragonfly....

I was thinking of using this as a spacer / standoff and then it would let me adjust the position forward and back
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...and-accessory-device

Cheers
Mike
I actually use something similar (https://www.amazon.com/...ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) on Summer's alpha one to bring the BTA cage a bit further back. With her extensions being shorter this allows more space for her bottle to slide out forwards. I could test it tomorrow undermounted, but I think it would be perfect for both better fitting the curve and allowing a wider range of positions. Of course the one I have isn't infinitely adjustable but same concept.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, alpha one people. There is obviously a great sale going on with tririg right now. I have been going back and forth and back and forth on it. I have a canyon speedmax cf. I need a bit more reach, currently an 80mm stem. My big question is as I get older and less flexible and need to change my position to less aggressive I want to have the ability to adjust my position to the distance or to what my body allows. I am including a pic not the best I was repositioning so I am not completely this far forward on the saddle/pads, but a bit more reach would be nice.

Is the alpha one going to allow me to do this down the road? Also, has anyone cut the steerer tube on the canyon to make the bento box nice and flat. Talk me into this or talk me out of this!

Thanks alpha ones!
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
Okay, alpha one people. There is obviously a great sale going on with tririg right now. I have been going back and forth and back and forth on it. I have a canyon speedmax cf. I need a bit more reach, currently an 80mm stem. My big question is as I get older and less flexible and need to change my position to less aggressive I want to have the ability to adjust my position to the distance or to what my body allows. I am including a pic not the best I was repositioning so I am not completely this far forward on the saddle/pads, but a bit more reach would be nice.

Is the alpha one going to allow me to do this down the road? Also, has anyone cut the steerer tube on the canyon to make the bento box nice and flat. Talk me into this or talk me out of this!

Thanks alpha ones!

I have an Alpha One on my Speedmax CF, you will not regret getting the Alpha One, it's so much better and more adjustable than the stock cockpit. Obviously the height is insanely easy to adjust with one bolt. But, the scoops also add a ton of fore/aft adjustment - I was on the short end of the Bike's reach for my size S Speedmax and the scoops allow me to hit those numbers with ample options to shorten (or lengthen) even more - something the stock cockpit did not allow.

I cut the steerer on my Speedmax; I am running the TriRig Alpha One with 1 10mm spacer and the TorHans Bento X and it aligns pretty well with the bento and all the Di2 wires and brake cables are not almost completely hidden, with the exception the the aerobar shifter cables from the back of the extensions to the stem cover. This set-up does require some modification (drilling new holes) in the Torhans bento, since the Speedmax bento mounts are not standard.

Let me know if you want any more info or want pics of anything.

I am basically replicating the CF that tririg featured sans Delta cover.
https://www.tririg.com/...eedmax_CF_SLX_Review
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, for letting me know. How is cutting the tube? DIY or take it in? I am not running Di2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to ask if you kept the PD extensions or if you went the the tririg ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, cutting the steerer was VERY intimidating, I had never cut a steerer before let alone a carbon one. But, it was very easy once I got over the intimidation.

I used the items below. I live in an apartment with no workbench or stand and had no real issues cutting the steerer and aerobar extensions, I would say DIY over going to a shop if you are reasonably competent mechanically.

Saw guide: https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Saw: https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Carbon Blade: https://www.amazon.com/...8&th=1&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm now using the TriRig Gamma Ones (and Omega front brake). In the bundle the cost was so low for extensions, I figured if I disliked them i could just sell and get most of my money back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use any hacksaw blade with 24 teeth per inch to cut a carbon steerer tube. I do recommend that you clean up the edges with a bit of sandpaper when you are done. Home Depot has a lot of bargain options for saws and blades:

https://www.homedepot.com/...N-5yc1vZc26qZ1z19aqc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BevK wrote:
lonniecdams wrote:

Thanks alpha ones!

I have an Alpha One on my Speedmax CF, you will not regret getting the Alpha One, it's so much better and more adjustable than the stock cockpit. Obviously the height is insanely easy to adjust with one bolt. But, the scoops also add a ton of fore/aft adjustment - I was on the short end of the Bike's reach for my size S Speedmax and the scoops allow me to hit those numbers with ample options to shorten (or lengthen) even more - something the stock cockpit did not allow.

I cut the steerer on my Speedmax; I am running the TriRig Alpha One with 1 10mm spacer and the TorHans Bento X and it aligns pretty well with the bento and all the Di2 wires and brake cables are not almost completely hidden, with the exception the the aerobar shifter cables from the back of the extensions to the stem cover. This set-up does require some modification (drilling new holes) in the Torhans bento, since the Speedmax bento mounts are not standard.

Let me know if you want any more info or want pics of anything.

I am basically replicating the CF that tririg featured sans Delta cover.
https://www.tririg.com/...eedmax_CF_SLX_Review
I was going to chime in and point to that same article, but you beat me to it! This is important for lonniecdams, because this setup lets you get even lower than before (if needed), but also has the advantages mentioned above (ease of adjustment, more range of reach adjustment, easy tilt, etc). As mentioned above, you do need to trim the steerer tube, and do a little DIY work to mount the BentoX. But the result (especially when you add Omega X and Delta) is stunningly beautiful, aero, and user-friendly.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a couple of others have asked in this thread over the past year+, is there anyone who can share how they installed an Alpha One onto a Felt IA -disc- frameset? The challenge being the front cable/head tube cover that has those two screw holes/nubs at the top. that are meant to screw into the side of the felt stems......
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s the exact same situation for both the rim and disc versions. I think most folks just shave that tab down and rely exclusively on the lower mounting points for the front cover.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my Diamondback Andean built with an Alpha One instead of the stock cockpit. I really like the bars but ran in one fitting issue: Using the Zipp Vuka AXS extensions in combination with the TriRig Alpha One massively restricts the aft-adjustability of the extensions as the bulging of the Vukas hit the clamps of the base-bar. Being a short rider that leaves me with the extensions being too long. A non-issue for bigger riders or users of regular shaped extensions but something you should be aware of if your short-armed with a compulsory need for integration.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [blackbird1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackbird1 wrote:
I had my Diamondback Andean built with an Alpha One instead of the stock cockpit. I really like the bars but ran in one fitting issue: Using the Zipp Vuka AXS extensions in combination with the TriRig Alpha One massively restricts the aft-adjustability of the extensions as the bulging of the Vukas hit the clamps of the base-bar. Being a short rider that leaves me with the extensions being too long. A non-issue for bigger riders or users of regular shaped extensions but something you should be aware of if your short-armed with a compulsory need for integration.

Yep, that's a fair critique. Any bar with a forward-offset clamp is going to have that issue to some extent (for example, Alpha One, 3T Aduro, or the Trek SC Gen 2 bar). That's the reason we designed Gamma One and Gamma 115; these extensions achieve similar ergonomic features to many modern extension shapes, while preserving the maximum possible range of reach adjustment:

Of course, I understand the desire to integrate and hide everything from the wind. For AXS, our recommended way to satisfy that integration itch is to mount the BlipBox on the UNDERSIDE of the Dragonfly. You can see how we did it in this article:

TriRig.com SRAM AXS Review

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: Feb 3, 21 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [blackbird1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran into the exact same problem as you. I purchased the Alpha One for my Andean along with the Zipp Vuka AXS extensions when TriRig reviewed them with the Alpha Ones. They simply do not work for the vast majority of fits! I'm certainly not a small rider at 5'11", and there was no way that setup could work for me. I felt a little misled by the TriRig review of the AXS extensions, and honestly looking back at the photos in the article you can see how far they stick out. Of course, the article never mentions the fit issue whatsoever.

I sold the Alpha One and kept the Zipp AXS 90 extensions. The AXS integration with those extensions is very clean!

https://www.tririg.com/...90_Extensions_Review

https://www.tririg.com/...nsions_Review_16.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One - Gamma one [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since several people discussed the possibilities and problems with installing an Xlab versa on their alpha one I thought it might be interesting to mention that Xlab has a new "versa slim". https://www.xlab-usa.com/torpedo-versa-slim.html

It looks like a good option for me but since the Alpha one is not specifically mentioned as compatible I sent Xlab an email and they confirmed it should fit the Alpha one. Being from the Netherlands I can't order yet since they just released it and didn't supply European distributors yet. As soon as I have one I will post some pics here.
If there is anyone from the US who has already tried it on the Alpha One I would be interested to hear if it works well.

Btw the customer service experience of Xlab was very good. Immediate replies and offers to help contacting EU distributors to be informed immediately when they arrive.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would the delta cover completely conceal the exposed front disc brake hose on a 2019 Cervelo P series when paired with alpha one?
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkb wrote:
Would the delta cover completely conceal the exposed front disc brake hose on a 2019 Cervelo P series when paired with alpha one?
I don’t know for sure. One customer sent us this gallery of images, but it doesn’t completely show the non drive side.

https://www.tririg.com/...tom_Cervelo_P_Series

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One - Gamma one [RichardA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last mont I wrote here that I ordered the new Xlab Versa Slim. It arrived yesterday and I just installed it.
I'm very happy with the product, it fits perfectly and garmin and bottle are exactly in the right position for me thanks for the plenty of space for adjustment.
Last edited by: RichardA: Mar 25, 21 3:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next