Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TriRig Alpha One [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still waiting on my bars to arrive. I was under the impression that the JB, cables and brake cable would fit within the cavity albeit a tight fit?
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [Tohan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tohan wrote:
Still waiting on my bars to arrive. I was under the impression that the JB, cables and brake cable would fit within the cavity albeit a tight fit?

I just installed mine and the junction doesn't fit. In fact, doesn't come close to fitting in there with the five Di2 wires attached and two brake cables running through there. I even dremeled the junction box to make it smaller. It would fit fine if it wasn't for those pesky brake cables but I guess we need brakes. Thankfully, I have a Dimond and I can just hide it in the beam but kind of disappointed the cavity isn't big enough.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Tohan wrote:

I just installed mine and the junction doesn't fit. In fact, doesn't come close to fitting in there with the five Di2 wires attached and two brake cables running through there. I even dremeled the junction box to make it smaller. It would fit fine if it wasn't for those pesky brake cables but I guess we need brakes. Thankfully, I have a Dimond and I can just hide it in the beam but kind of disappointed the cavity isn't big enough.

Conceptual question. Is it possible to take 2 wires to 1 by putting the left extension shifter wire with the left pursuit shifter wire into a 3-holed A junction, repeat with another 3-holed A junction for the right side, keep the two 3-holed junctions in the flat base bar area ahead of the stem, then use a 3rd 3-holed A junction in the stem and get that to fit with the brake lines? Extra wires / extra parts and ceftainly not elegant. But possible?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 In thinking about this for a while now, I think the simplest answer is going to be to come up with a rounded cover that allows for extra space having the junction box sit halfway in the cavity and stick up. As long as the junction box is under the cover, and the cover is smooth, there will be very little aero penalty.

All that has to happen is to design a new cover that allows for extra space underneath it rather than the relatively flat one that is there now. It would need to be about an inch taller and the designers would need to check ahead of time to make sure the junction box fits underneath it.

With this solution, there doesn’t need to be any real structural changes to the tri rig device itself.
Last edited by: dtoce: Mar 13, 19 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Tohan wrote:

Conceptual question. Is it possible to take 2 wires to 1 by putting the left extension shifter wire with the left pursuit shifter wire into a 3-holed A junction, repeat with another 3-holed A junction for the right side, keep the two 3-holed junctions in the flat base bar area ahead of the stem, then use a 3rd 3-holed A junction in the stem and get that to fit with the brake lines? Extra wires / extra parts and ceftainly not elegant. But possible?

Yes, that would work but the Di2 wires aren’t really the major problem, it’s the brake cable housing. Those two cables eat up a lot of real estate and you can’t really flex them and move them around. I’d imagine I can mash everything in there and maybe get the cover on but a) I don’t want to kink the Di2 wires, and b) I need to access everything periodically to charge the Di2.

Dale’s solution is best. If the cover was about an inch taller this wouldn’t be an issue.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tohan wrote:

It really doesn’t fit, but you can make it work with some filing and squishing. See my post 360 for pics. Time will tell whether the squishing has consequences.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Dale’s solution is best. If the cover was about an inch taller this wouldn’t be an issue.“

QFT.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bit disappointing if that is the case as in the faq it specifically states it fits with even the 5 port JB. Will see when I get it. My first thought if not was as one of the suggestions above to just make a larger cover. I know someone with a 3d printer so might see if he can knock something up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure it could be an easier fit. Our initial design didn't contemplate squishing the 5-port junction in. Once we had the final parts, we did a physical test (not always the same as measuring squirrely cables in CAD). Turns out, it DOES fit, although as mentioned by others, it needs to have the mounting tab filed down (this is a 1-minute job), and everything is a pretty tight squeeze in there.

The idea of a taller cable cover is definitely interesting. Of course, that would mean an all new design, and a new mold, which is neither quick nor cheap. Or a batch of CNC machined covers. Again, time and money. But it's something we will consider for sure. Of course, as the new round extension-mounted junction proliferates, this may become less and less of an issue.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tohan wrote:
My first thought was to just make a larger cover. I know someone with a 3d printer so might see if he can knock something up.

Hey thread; I'll share the cost of a 3d printed cover if anyone has the skills and equipment to make it happen.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Of course, as the new round extension-mounted junction proliferates, this may become less and less of an issue.”

The future is here:

Last edited by: GreatScott: Mar 13, 19 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Thanks for the details.

Sure would be a lot easier if the stem cavity was 1cm deeper!

Scott

I'm not sure, but you may be able to fit the b-junction boxes within the 22mm extensions themselves (they are 15mm wide I believe). Would take some creativity and maybe filing them down, but it's potentially a solution.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Thanks for the details.

Scott

I'm not sure, but you may be able to fit the b-junction boxes within the 22mm extensions themselves (they are 15mm wide I believe). Would take some creativity and maybe filing them down, but it's potentially a solution.

FYI - they fit perfectly fine inside 3T aluminum extensions....I even fit an internal Di2 battery in there along with a JC41 b junction in one single extension on my setup (3T extensions....don't own any of the Tririg stuff....yet).
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, is this a new junction box? or are you referring to EW-RS910? EW-RS910 is designed to fit in to the end of road bars (23.8mm). So it'll some dremmeling and also requires finding ways to hide two more junction B boxes, which seems to bring us back to square one?

TriRig wrote:
Of course, as the new round extension-mounted junction proliferates, this may become less and less of an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points. This came up around post 365. I wasn’t able to visualize how to make it work for my setup and went with the squish.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Callin' wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Thanks for the details.

Scott

FYI - they fit perfectly fine inside 3T aluminum extensions....I even fit an internal Di2 battery in there along with a JC41 b junction in one single extension on my setup (3T extensions....don't own any of the Tririg stuff....yet).

Different extensions have different wall thickness, and therefore, different inner diameters. Aluminum extensions will generally have more room inside.
I’ve fit a b-junction in the 51 Speedshop extensions. And also have got a di2 battery inside a Profile Design aluminum.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Tohan wrote:
My first thought was to just make a larger cover. I know someone with a 3d printer so might see if he can knock something up.

Hey thread; I'll share the cost of a 3d printed cover if anyone has the skills and equipment to make it happen.

Scott

Unfortunately it's not just about the shape. Material will be important too. This is a structural part because it acts as your top cap, so it needs to be able to take the force required to preload the headset. 3D printed plastic is not going to cut it. 3D printed metal, maybe.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads-up incase I actually forged down that route ha.

Was wondering it might not be a huge problem for me anyway seeing I run a single chainring with one shifter from the extension and if you just run the front brake with no outer then it should free up enough real estate inside. Granted I'm saying this without actually seeing it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately your proposed setup won't really change the equation as far as the bars are concerned, unless you use that new extension-based junction. But again, if you file down the tab on the back of the junction, it will squeeze in there.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's probably going away when they release their tilt version, apples to apples with TriRig.

GreatScott wrote:
“Of course, as the new round extension-mounted junction proliferates, this may become less and less of an issue.”

The future is here:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
that's probably going away when they release their tilt version, apples to apples with TriRig.

GreatScott wrote:

The future is here:
Well, our bar still has the stem cavity ;-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Tohan wrote:

Scott

Unfortunately it's not just about the shape. Material will be important too. This is a structural part because it acts as your top cap, so it needs to be able to take the force required to preload the headset. 3D printed plastic is not going to cut it. 3D printed metal, maybe.

FYI - there are 3D printers for composite structural grade materials. I've seen a large industrial sized one a a 3D printer show a number of years back that printed an entire "electric" car during the show from scratch. The surface finish was horrible but both functional along with structural. The "car" was the sized of a large go-kart/small dune buggy in reality.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Mar 13, 19 13:51
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well of course. But most folks are going to go for the cheapest plastic Shapeways makes. So I’m just providing fair warning :-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tohan wrote:

Me too and I saw on the TriRig FB page this morning from them posting that a new shipment is coming soon.
Let's hope they put ours in the mail very soon.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Alpha One [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Literally just got my email that they cleared customs and are being delivered today. Guess I know what i'll be doing this weekend now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next