Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you that this should have been self-evident to her. I am not a fan of USADA but they don't hide their list or try to fool people. As a professional this thing should be taped to the wall. The proper course was to take treatment and not race while this was getting worked out.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
Not for women, they are explicit that they will never consider a TUE for women and testosterone.

Not saying this is wrong (I don't know the facts), but this quote from Kate Mittelstadt, Director of Anti-Doping for Ironman, in the linked report below, seems to imply that Chaffin might have received a TUE if she had applied for one:

===========================

"...professional athletes ... must take responsibility for what they put in their bodies, and seek advice from anti-doping authorities before proceeding with any medical treatment that involves a prohibited substance or prohibited method."

and:

Mittlestadt went on to say that “the Ironman anti-doping rules, which are made available to all race participants, clearly identify those substances that are prohibited—including testosterone—and require a Theraputic Use Exemption before they may be used.”

============================

Why wouldn't she have just said, or at least added, "female athletes will never receive a TUE for testosterone" if what you say is true?
Link to the story:
http://lavamagazine.com/...stosterone-positive/
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because people don't always speak clearly or know what they are talking about.

USADA has made it clear they will not consider TUEs for testosterone and women. this is a fact. It is a fact that could change, but it is a fact currently

Kay Serrar wrote:
patsullivan6630 wrote:
Not for women, they are explicit that they will never consider a TUE for women and testosterone.

Not saying this is wrong (I don't know the facts), but this quote from Kate Mittelstadt, Director of Anti-Doping for Ironman, in the linked report below, seems to imply that Chaffin might have received a TUE if she had applied for one:

===========================

"...professional athletes ... must take responsibility for what they put in their bodies, and seek advice from anti-doping authorities before proceeding with any medical treatment that involves a prohibited substance or prohibited method."

and:

Mittlestadt went on to say that “the Ironman anti-doping rules, which are made available to all race participants, clearly identify those substances that are prohibited—including testosterone—and require a Theraputic Use Exemption before they may be used.”

============================

Why wouldn't she have just said, or at least added, "female athletes will never receive a TUE for testosterone" if what you say is true?
Link to the story:
http://lavamagazine.com/...stosterone-positive/

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all we know USADA will reconsider. There is a bit of evidence that suggests balancing hormones for women (not just estrogen but testosterone too) is a valid treatment for women. I only know the TUE is restricted to men because in an earlier thread about TRT I looked up the waiver. Even for men the TUE is difficult to get, perhaps unnecessarily.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
".....it strikes me as extremely scary that athletic regulators feel that it is within their enforcement power to overrule FDA & medical practitioner decisions on human health, and even scarier that not so much as an eyebrow is being raised by the public as these organizations continue to overstep their bounds."
----Branden Muhl

As a Private Pilot I have to see an Aviation Medical Examiner every two years. The Federal Aviation Administration has mandated that certain drugs, even those for health reasons, are not permitted to be used by pilots. In order to compete in International Aerobatic Meets, I must have a valid Medical certificate. I do not have a right to fly an airplane, nor do I have a right to drive a car or participate in a USAT sanctioned Triathlon.

My local bike club sponsors a "Fun" regional 25-100 mile bike ride every year to raise funds for a charity. No timining, no finishing medals, you can even cut the course, drafting is legal and nobody cares. They do not even enforce state and federal drug rules. Although I have never seen it, I am sure one could stop at a roadside reststop and smoke whatever......

Branden is just trying to sell his product and is whinning about the rules for one of his saleswomen. Triathlon without the rules is just a "Fun" Swim, Bike and Run with no timining or places.

My question is: What is the difference between a Pro Triathlete and a Salesman/woman?
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
. Even for men the TUE is difficult to get, perhaps unnecessarily.

Nooope
Just see the UFC for evidence of what happens when a TUE is easy to get

Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does the UFC have to do with getting a TUE for testosterone? The TUE is written in such a way that immediately doubts the physician and the patient - I get that they got burned by LA but sort of like sudafed and meth, most people are not being nefarious with it.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M Ernst wrote:
you think of what you would do given a choice between your long term health and continuing to participate in a sport you are passionate about.

Erm, long term health.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by triathh8er [ In reply to ]
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [triathh8er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You know that Coca-Cola is an official on course beverage at and consumed by "athletes" at aid stations. "

I assume you must be Branden Muhl, since that is what you tweeted to me. I assure you that 1) many people are aware that flat coke is available at Kona aid stations and 2) this will be perceived as a bizarre way to respond to this discussion. 3) Choosing the username triathh8er as your user name is childish and confusing given your sponsorship of a triathlete.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 27, 15 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [triathh8er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathh8er wrote:
you know that Coca-Cola is an official on course beverage at and consumed by "athletes" at aid stations.

Keep digging..this could get interesting.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

Yup... this just got interesting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
and 2) this will be perceived as a bizarre way to respond to this discussion.

Indeed.

I have no idea what the Coca-Cola reference means. Can you or Triathh8er explain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is offended that someone pointed out that the sponsor of a triathlete is a soda distributor, insinuating that soda is not the drink of a triathlete.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Early in the thread someone teased that he found it odd a cola company was sponsoring this athlete.

Kay Serrar wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
and 2) this will be perceived as a bizarre way to respond to this discussion.

Indeed.

I have no idea what the Coca-Cola reference means. Can you or Triathh8er explain?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
He is offended that someone pointed out that the sponsor of a triathlete is a soda distributor, insinuating that soda is not the drink of a triathlete.

The newbie triathlete shuns all things like cola and becomes frighteningly passionate about kale.

Veteran triathletes occasionally turn to cola because it contains much needed calories...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's expressed a some more opinions on the matter via twitter.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think he should be expected to know why the rule is this way.
But then maybe he should be aware that he isn't an expert and not be so quick to weigh in.

But that wouldn't be very human.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True... though if he was truly uninformed, and then every opinion of the community his post is dealing with disagrees with him, joining the discussion as triathh8er doesn't make it sound like he feels our arguments are valid....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
But then maybe he should be aware that he isn't an expert and not be so quick to weigh in.

What do you mean he's not an expert?
His company passed out sport drink at RAGBRAI..Obviously he knows of what he speaks!

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well yes, on beverages I'll defer to his wisdom.

stringcheese wrote:
jackmott wrote:

What do you mean he's not an expert?
His company passed out sport drink at RAGBRAI..Obviously he knows of what he speaks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
has it been two years already?

h2ofun wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
jonahsdad wrote:
Maybe we should just make a TUE division. Then people like Morgan and Moats can continue to compete if they wish, but the rest of us can compete against a level playing field.

did kevin just go away or is he still racing?

Look at the ranking results, he is still racing.

He only got like 6 months, off season, so he never stopped racing I believe. He had really zero impact of the 7 years he doped.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man that sucks.
that guy deserved the lance treatment

h2ofun wrote:

He only got like 6 months, off season, so he never stopped racing I believe. He had really zero impact of the 7 years he doped.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Oh man that sucks.
that guy deserved the lance treatment

h2ofun wrote:

Oh - he got his! Nothing a cheater cares more about than what others think of him. (do I really need to use pink here?)
Quote Reply

Prev Next