Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
They lost me at "Morgan’s story is particularly unnerving as the right to the best healthcare available to an individual in a given geography is certainly an inalienable American right and arguably a basic human right as well. There is no need to argue this point as the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is pretty clear in its mandate that Americans have a right to the best healthcare available."

Just wrong on so many levels.

X2

"I did not do my part as athlete by checking with the WTC to see if I could receive treatment"

Case closed and game over right there.

You are a professional athlete.

You and you alone are wholly responsible for what goes in your body.

There are governing bodies, coaches, doctors and other heathe are professionals that should have been consulted beforehand.

Testosterone must have been on the banned list of all sports for at least 30 years.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You completely missed the point being made.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Chaffin got caught taking a banned substance. The 2 year ban was appropriate. Lashing out at the penalty, the organization handing down the penalty, etc. is, in my opinion, a bit ridiculous, but Mahaska / Chaffin are free to write and say whatever they wish, even if it includes outlandish comparisons of Chaffin to WWII stories. Perhaps a more appropriate title for this thread should be "The incredibly poor judgment, or lack thereof, of a professional triathlete, and the consequences and challenges that she must now face."
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She should've been banned from racing for money for the rest of her life.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:

How about Nina Kraft?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:

How about Nina Kraft?

There's nothing I hate worse than feeding a troll like you. I'm totally anticipating your standard response (sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending to not comprehend anything I've said, while you spout off whatever inane story you've already decided is going to form the backbone of your oddly-formatted response), but I believe someone who's receiving benefits from the rules they've previously broken shouldn't be allowed to participate with people who have never broken rules and had those unfair benefits.

Nina Kraft should be banned from competing to win money for the rest of her life.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:

How about Nina Kraft?

There's nothing I hate worse than feeding a troll like you. I'm totally anticipating your standard response (sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending to not comprehend anything I've said, while you spout off whatever inane story you've already decided is going to form the backbone of your oddly-formatted response), but I believe someone who's receiving benefits from the rules they've previously broken shouldn't be allowed to participate with people who have never broken rules and had those unfair benefits.

Nina Kraft should be banned from competing to win money for the rest of her life.

I agree :)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aztri81 wrote:
Chaffin got caught taking a banned substance. The 2 year ban was appropriate. Lashing out at the penalty, the organization handing down the penalty, etc. is, in my opinion, a bit ridiculous, but Mahaska / Chaffin are free to write and say whatever they wish, even if it includes outlandish comparisons of Chaffin to WWII stories. Perhaps a more appropriate title for this thread should be "The incredibly poor judgment, or lack thereof, of a professional triathlete, and the consequences and challenges that she must now face."
Or simply "A cheat got caught and bitch about it"

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should be noted that she was part of the snapple tri team, the guy who manages, Bart, it worked (works?) with that congressman Jim Sesenbrener who raised a stink about USADA funding when they went after Lance -

http://snappletriteam.com/...le-team/bart-forsyth

When that happened Bart had a buddy post a thread about congress investigating USADA, without mentioned it was HE who started the the whole fucking thing.

high level douchebag stuff. wonder if he is behind this too.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should not be surprised at the direction that this thread has taken, but it is tangential to my intended question to all of you, which is, "Given similar difficult choices between your long term health and racing tri, what would you do?" I'm not asking for continued character assassination but for you to "look in the mirror".

Really would you stop racing or would you quietly "cover it up" and hope it goes away.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Truth of the matter is that unfortunately there are always people out there trying to cheat the system which ultimately taints the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Really would you stop racing or would you quietly "cover it up" and hope it goes away. "

stop racing..... It really is not a difficult dilemna. I believe in playing by the rules, if you don't like the rules then work to have them changed. That is in my personal life as well as at work.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Given similar difficult choices between your long term health and racing tri, what would you do?"

I don't even think this is a valid question. I think a vast majority (100% for all practical purposes) would put our health first. Then our family and their health. Then our jobs. And our hobby of triathlon would be way down on the list. I also think a large segment would, assuming our health allowed it, would continue our hobby, at least in the form of training. Some may compete. Some may not. Some may be open with the RD and accept the DQ. Others not. What we wouldn't do is try to draw a paycheck by attempting to race pro. We also would expect any pity if we decided to keep racing while on a banned substance and get caught.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This really isn't a hard choice. Your health comes first. We all have limiters, You compete with the body you have. And do we really know why her levels were low ? Over trained ? Will they come back up if she rests ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is tough to answer your question due to it being based on a false premise (potentially, multiple false premises). Chaffin states in her post that there is and she is currently taking a drug not currently banned which may allow her to race and be healthier. Chaffin could have applied for a TUE. She did not do either of these actions until after she was caught and appropriately suspended.

I'm not denying that Chaffin has health issues or difficulties relating thereto. If faced with a similar set of facts and circumstances, I'm assuming I would do what a responsible professional would do and seek answers prior to putting something in my body which may get me suspended. I would venture to guess that most persons responding to your thread have compassion towards Chaffin's health issues and wish her well, but do not believe the version of the story offered up to the general public. So, to "look into the mirror," based with your stated two options of quit racing or race while taking a banned substance, I'll go ahead and quit racing; my health is way more important and being a professional triathlete does not pay well.
Last edited by: aztri81: Apr 27, 15 5:41
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Agree with the others, there's no injustice here. She gambled and lost, the rules were against her and therefore she got caught. She knew that was a possibility and now argues that life isn't fair.
Agree with you and I'll just tack on a truth I've come to embrace... life isn't always fair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe we should just make a TUE division. Then people like Morgan and Moats can continue to compete if they wish, but the rest of us can compete against a level playing field.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonahsdad wrote:
Maybe we should just make a TUE division. Then people like Morgan and Moats can continue to compete if they wish, but the rest of us can compete against a level playing field.

did kevin just go away or is he still racing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no TUE for testosterone therapy and women, it is only for men. I agree that she must have known that, but if her history indicated a need for it and a reputable physician made the call then she made the correct choice for herself.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonahsdad wrote:

Moats wasn't gonna get no TUE

Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
jonahsdad wrote:

Look at the ranking results, he is still racing.

Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
has it been two years already?

h2ofun wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
jonahsdad wrote:

Look at the ranking results, he is still racing.

Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A TUE is determined on a case-by-case basis, where the facts and circumstances, along with the substantial research on the topic available, are considered prior to making the ruling. If a TUE is not granted, she could appeal or seek to change the rules of the governing body. It is not the easiest path, nor a potentially successful one.

I do not disagree (nor agree) that following a doctor's recommendation was the right call for her health. (There is insufficient information available to determine whether the drug used was appropriate and/or warranted, other than what Chaffin has stated.) It was the wrong decision for a professional triathlete to make in taking a banned substance, especially considering there were alternatives available not on the banned substance list. The 2 year suspension was warranted.
Last edited by: aztri81: Apr 27, 15 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She may have made the right medical decision for herself, no one is contesting that. It's the choice to race while on a banned substance that is being criticized. They are 2 separate decisions. She has apparently made a statement that she is now on an alternative treatment that does not include a banned substance. Strange that since she intended to race she did not select that option first and instead opted for a substance that is tremendously performance enhancing for women.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not for women, they are explicit that they will never consider a TUE for women and testosterone. I can see why, it is different to give a woman testosterone than it is to give a man testosterone, the possibly physiological impacts are much more pronounced for women. Having said that, her history (if it is all true) may warrant USADA to reconsider that policy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next