Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make.
Quote | Reply
The following story is complicated but it serves as an example of the hard and horrible decisions that professional athletes must make, especially female athletes.

http://blog.mahaska.com/...mp;utm_medium=social
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The title of this thread should be changed as this story relates to one person. Nobody wants to have health issues at any age. She and her team need to work with the various "other" groups and hope for the best.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost stopped at all the hyperbolic prose about her morals and strength, it was a little much. medical conditions limit our ability to chose certain professions. I can't be a fighter pilot because I have bad eyesite. Sounds like she can't be a pro athlete based on her story. We all have to work within the box we were born into

She can get a job that isn't determental to her health but instead we get a thinly veil plea to use anabolic steroids
Last edited by: npage148: Apr 25, 15 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So a pro triathlete decides to take a drug without ever googling WADA/USADA lists to see if it's legal? her coach didn't say anything? Sorry, no sympathy. She doesnt have a right to be a pro, any more than anyone else. And,under the rules, regular AGers have to follow the same rules. But I keep coming back to her (intentional) ignorance of a very public issue. Perhaps she could have gotten a TUE had she attempted to.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 25, 15 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a terrible blog post full of faulty logic, hyperbole and misdirection. racing triathlon events is not an inherent right. Morgan, when caught doping with testosterone, pretended that she had no idea that testosterone was a banned substance and basically said her only fault was not telling her doctor that she was subject to drug testing. BS. There is 0 chance that any professional triathlete is unaware that testosterone is a banned substance. She tried to get away with it and she was caught. So all that cap about her integrity and how she is the greatest human being since WWII is just absurd.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 25, 15 14:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The following story is complicated but it serves as an example of the hard and horrible decisions that professional athletes must make, especially female athletes.

I would say it is a story that serves as another example of how a professional athlete should inform his/her doctor if she takes any medication, especially one she knows is banned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from the post:
"In short, Morgan is the type of individual that you can only seem to find in World War II documentaries in the contemporary world."

This is an insult to the thousands of military men and women currently serving in active combat zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe this thread could be renamed 'The horrible choices that some professional triathletes choose to make'?

I'm trying to wrap my head around how any professional athlete anywhere could not know taking testosterone is um, bad for your business.
I mean in all seriousness I don't know any amateur triathletes that don't know this....
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Apr 25, 15 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've been registered since '09 and thought this was going to end well?

I couldn't even read the entire post but skimmed enough to get the gist. They laid it on pretty thick. I pay pretty good attention to what I put in my body, even if prescribed by a doctor. I would think a professional would know to check and make sure that what they were taking weren't banned, in this case I think she knew the answer. She took the risk and got caught. End of story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is ridiculous. Either she's a just another cheater/doper who got caught and is trying to excuse her behaviour, or she's suffering from some sort of persecution complex. By her logic, if I had my hand amputated but wanted to become a boxer, it would be totally legit for me to strap on a prosthetic metal hand and step into the ring.
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Tough crowd. My objective with this post is to pose such a moral dilemma and ash that you think of what you would do given a choice between your long term health and continuing to participate in a sport you are passionate about. What would you do?. I can't comment on her thinking or motivations for following her doctors recommendations. No responses required. Just think. (btw, they did lay it on thick. Having said that I know this chick and she works her ass off at Tri and harder at fundraising for MS foundations. Quality person.)

rjrankin wrote:

I couldn't even read the entire post but skimmed enough to get the gist. They laid it on pretty thick. I pay pretty good attention to what I put in my body, even if prescribed by a doctor. I would think a professional would know to check and make sure that what they were taking weren't banned, in this case I think she knew the answer. She took the risk and got caught. End of story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kind of saw where you were going. The link you added was clearly biased though. I know nothing about her condition, but was her choice the only option? If that's all that would help her lead a normal healthy life, give up racing. Its unfortunate but life isn't fair. Thanks to Top Gun I wanted to be a fighter pilot, but I'm 6'4 and flat footed, so I couldn't do that. Pilot seems to be a good defense in this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M Ernst wrote:
Yeah, Tough crowd. My objective with this post is to pose such a moral dilemma and ash that you think of what you would do given a choice between your long term health and continuing to participate in a sport you are passionate about. What would you do?. I can't comment on her thinking or motivations for following her doctors recommendations. No responses required. Just think. (btw, they did lay it on thick. Having said that I know this chick and she works her ass off at Tri and harder at fundraising for MS foundations. Quality person.)

rjrankin wrote:

I do not think any competitive athletes would consider this a legit moral dilemma. The moral choice is very clear. She did not make it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, there is no "moral dilemma" here to ponder. And if it's a choice between doing a job I'd like to do - even if passionate about it- but cannot due to health concerns, well for me it's any easy choice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like she made a spur of the moment "bad choice." It seems like she willfully chose to take a banned substance, chose not to try get a TUE, claimed ignorance about the TUE requirements, and then cried foul when she got busted. It seems like she was trying to fly under the radar and got caught. This doesn't seem like a moral dilemma to me. Maybe she chose to take testosterone because of her health. That's fine, but it doesn't excuse the fact that she tried to cheat.

In the end, does it really matter that she's a "good person?" Not to me it doesn't.

My triathlon training blog
Last edited by: tejanatab: Apr 25, 15 18:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is many of us doubt her story. I don't know, I've learned that some people are incredible uninformed so it is possible she was really that ignorant and not lying. Either way - if the rules allowed her to use steroids for her health, and compete, it would make it trivially easy for others to cheat to tremendous effect. Steroids make women tremendously faster and it is not as simple to just say "oh but it is a therapeutic dose"

So, that is also a moral dilemma.

M Ernst wrote:

rjrankin wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iffin I coud write as well as said AT-LEETS PRESS AGENT I'd be teaching Dodwood stuff stead O GED here in BC.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is she passionate about tri or passionate about being on the podium?

I ask because if she really is passionate about triathlon, then her drive and acclaimed enthusiasm would no doubt allow her to coach or get involved in race organisation. Perhaps even working with a sporting goods company's marketing department as a link to the athletes.

As others have said, her justification doesn't wash. Furthermore, her self proposed options aren't valid and a more accurate indication of her personality, I feel.

Not a moral dilemma; just a crap hand dealt. The guy doing the introduction on that link trashes 'unregulated' sports organisations. WTC provide the race, and the athlete is under no obligation to enter. It's not like they're USAT, etc... I'd be very surprised if WTC had regulations that were different from WADA. What governmental oversight would be recommended. It smacks of someone who doesn't understand sport and can't see beyond his enormous bias.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No this is a story of bad genetics. Period.

"There is no shame in not being a genius, the world needs plenty of carpenters" I can't remember where I heard that but it sums up this situation nicely.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
No this is a story of bad genetics. Period.

"There is no shame in not being a genius, the world needs plenty of carpenters" I can't remember where I heard that but it sums up this situation nicely.

no, this is a story about cheating and stupid logic, and about a douchebag CEO that supports cheating and stupid logic.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That too :)

And I just realized that her "sponsor" is a soda distributor :/

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Last edited by: rbuike: Apr 26, 15 4:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They lost me at "Morgan’s story is particularly unnerving as the right to the best healthcare available to an individual in a given geography is certainly an inalienable American right and arguably a basic human right as well. There is no need to argue this point as the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is pretty clear in its mandate that Americans have a right to the best healthcare available."

Just wrong on so many levels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the others, there's no injustice here. She gambled and lost, the rules were against her and therefore she got caught. She knew that was a possibility and now argues that life isn't fair.

Quote | Reply
Not buying this. I was in the testing pool for swimming and was tested the first time at 17. I knew all the big names as we had an information lecture we had to attend annually.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: The horrible choices that professional triathletes have to make. [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
from the post:
"In short, Morgan is the type of individual that you can only seem to find in World War II documentaries in the contemporary world."

This is an insult to the thousands of military men and women currently serving in active combat zones.

I'm sure there were plenty of soldiers who made stupid decisions in WWII that they claimed were not their fault. Thankfully, in this case, nobody died or got their legs blown off because of such foolishness. There are plenty of documentaries about hubris and/or ignorance and the consequences, which is all this really is.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply

Prev Next