Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination...I just noticed your post...sounds a lot like mine and how I like it. Same proportions and everything.

Seems like most of my family likes them on the "mushy" side, but I can't stand them like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [JJFlyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If my spoon can't stand up in the stuff, it's back into the microwave or worse (the dogs love the stuff!)
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
been eating it since the third grade but now with cinnomin and honey.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:

You my friend are a Wildman , I want to party with you ;0)

Ha... yes, sad. I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [dubdeuce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dubdeuce wrote:
Almost every mornings breakfast is oatmeal with
almond butter
ground flax seed
dried cranberries
raisins
Then I add a fresh/frozen fruit for variety. My favorite is homade rhubarb sauce, but also do berries, pomegranate seeds, etc.

When I'm in the mood for a savory breakfast I make what I call "Thai Oatmeal"
peanut butter
sriracha
shredded coconut
green onion
cilantro
ground flax seed
raisins

Its freaking delicious. I might have to make some for tomorrow.

That looks interesting. I may actually try this sometime this week. Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [shamerli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap... Is that pre-workout?

Even having that after a workout, that's like twice what I eat for breakfast!

Pre-workout - 2 pieces rye bread with PB and banana (if in a hurry or a relatively light workout, just a banana and/or an apple) w/coffee

Post workout - 2/3 cup muesli (oats, bran, little dried apricot, few sultanas and smattering of slivered almonds), 1 cup soy or coconut or almond milk, banana, handful of berries, chobani.

Freaking delicious.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on whether this is a good approach - seems to sit fine (even when swimming is first up)

Used to do weetbix and banana - then went to the minimal carb approach (egg-white omellete or something after, just apple or banana before) but found that left me miles too lean.

Also - people should try the quinoa/oats mix. Throw in a few egg whites, and it is delish. I tended to keep the serving quite small though as its super dense calorie-wise.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [njosey17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an "advert" for porridge.... - traditional food of Scotland although many other countries having their own version (Chinese make a rice porridge called Congee and a Norwegian version, Rommegrot!)

Porridge oats are a whole grain cereal so they contain the entire edible part of the grain including the germ, endosperm and bran. The germ is packed with vitamin E.
Porridge is a nutrient dense food which means you get a lot of other nutrients for every calorie of energy. The gelatenous texture of porridge is due to beta-glucan, a type of fibre which helps to reduce blood cholesterol levels. It also helps to regulate the absorption of glucose, thus avoiding a sudden rush of sugar into your bloodstream.

Porridge oats tip ;

Choose the original whole grain -- In instant oat mixes/porridges, the beta-glucan fibre is broken down and the complex starch is pre-gelatenised. It cooks quickly but rushes into your system causing a sudden rise in blood sugar.

Original source Dr Chris Fenn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will have plain oatmeal with peanut butter, but not regular peanut butter. If you want to cut out some of the fat that regular peanut butter has, use the powdered peanut butter. It doesn't taste great by itself, but in oatmeal it tastes great and you get all the protein without the fat.

Steph
Snapple Triathlon Team
Powerbar Team Elite
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [Stephanie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am totally addicted to Trader Joe's - Quinoa and Steel Cut Oatmeal!!! I add a dollop of peanut butter and some raisins.

Since I discovered it I've been scarfing it down at least five mornings a week.

Yum!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Believe it or not, I didn't read all 100+ posts, so not sure if this was mentioned. Ted King posted his oatmeal on Strava once. He stirs a beaten egg in while cooking, and since trying it, I'm sold! Gives it an almost custard consistency.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey, raisins & banana
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steel cut, almond milk, with some pumpkin pie spice, and a bit of maple syrup. Great for the holiday season - my son would eat it every meal if he could.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [rdm1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why no ironman branded oatmeal yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thread. Glad it was brought back up.

I've recently fell in love with nuts.com and ordered some dark chocolate covered chia seeds. They mix in perfectly with some almonds and peanut butter to make a good bowl of oatmeal. Sometimes I'll cover everything in some honey as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almond milk and water, banana, chia seed, blueberries, walnuts. Sometimes I'll put a scoop of protein in.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Humorous thread. Could get some good ideas.
Me: too much water. Wife says someone's doing oatmeal soup again. Sweetner. Pumpkin pie puree. Pp spice and cinnamon.
I've tried pb-can't get it to mix right.
I saw a carrot cake mixture the other day. That could b good too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/4 cup walnuts
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Do not cook. Put in the refrigerator over night. Eat cold in the morning or heat in the micro.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
Aside from the obligatory berries and bananas. What do you put in your oatmeal? I've heard peanut butter as a bit more of an odd-ball addition.

Either way, I'm sure there's quite a few other non-standard items fellow slowtwitchers like to top-off their oats with. I actually wouldn't be surprised if someone's pre-Ironman race breakfast includes beets in their oatmeal. I love beets, but I don't think I'll be trying that one. Mainly because I won't be doing an IM any time soon.

I eat my way the Viking way.
Raw oats with cold milk, sometimes I add bananas or raisins or jam.
Nothing fancy, it takes 10s to make.
Quote Reply

Prev Next