Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell me about your oatmeal!
Quote | Reply
Aside from the obligatory berries and bananas. What do you put in your oatmeal? I've heard peanut butter as a bit more of an odd-ball addition.

Either way, I'm sure there's quite a few other non-standard items fellow slowtwitchers like to top-off their oats with. I actually wouldn't be surprised if someone's pre-Ironman race breakfast includes beets in their oatmeal. I love beets, but I don't think I'll be trying that one. Mainly because I won't be doing an IM any time soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a lot sea salt in my old fashioned oats. Try it, it's amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
Just a lot sea salt in my old fashioned oats. Try it, it's amazing!

I tend to put a bit in the water before I mix the oats. Do you mean after they're cooked and ready?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, cook them (i like mine on the dry side) and dump salt on top
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make my oats (Coach's Oats - delicious) using Almond Milk (original) instead of water. And then stir in a spoonful of peanut butter after its cooked. I like the extra fat and protein from the milk and PB plus it tastes better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I add a heaping tablespoon of almond slivers/slices, dried cranberries, and a spoonful of a plant based protein powder. Sometimes, I'll change the almonds out with walnuts or other nuts. The added protein from the nuts and the powder make sure I'm not hungry 30 mins later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1cup old fashioned/rolled oats
1/4 cup of milk

Nuke in microwave 2 minutes

Add diced Banana, shelled Walnuts, 2 packs of Splenda and a generous amount of Cinnamon.

throw in some eggs and you've got the breakfast of champions (well, at least the breakfast of the mediocre)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I throw in nuts every now and again... Raw cashews typically as I can't stop eating them. Interesting to know about the protein powder. I'll have to try that.

Here's a couple of other things I've tried:

- Chia seeds (not really for flavor)
- Hemp Milk (trying to stay away from Soy milk, and almond milk alternative)
- Cocoa Powder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Banana, peanut butter, honey

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old fashioned oats in a small bowl & just enough water to make oats start to float. Microwave for 2:22. Add raisins, one packet of Splenda and some almond milk.

Seems to satisfy hunger and fill me up for a few hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got my recipe pretty set in stone now...

-.75 (3/4 or 75% also acceptable) cup of rolled oats
-1.5 cups of liquid (either almond milk or water)

Nuke that for 2 min

Post nuke:
- 2 tbsp of http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/...chocolatedreams.html (they sell it at Sprouts/Whole Foods)
- 5 cranks of salt

and I'm drooling...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I eat oatmeal and peanut butter at least 5 mornings per week...but not just any peanut butter. I use Peanut Butter and Co "White Chocolate Wonderful." I used to use PB and Co "Dark Chocolate Dreams" but the white choc is even better.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
I add a heaping tablespoon of almond slivers/slices, dried cranberries, and a spoonful of a plant based protein powder. Sometimes, I'll change the almonds out with walnuts or other nuts. The added protein from the nuts and the powder make sure I'm not hungry 30 mins later.

this.
If you want to get extra silly -- add some almond milk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put plain old fashioned oats in a rice cooker the night before. It's a fancy rice cooker with a timer, so I set it to be done before I get up. By the time I get to it, it's cool enough to eat. I just eat it plain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peanut butter! Always. It is amazing. Adds some fat and a little protein so I can go longer before lunch. I also add brown sugar to plain oatmeal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot believe nobody has said Nutella yet. The fruit that goes in varies, usually strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries and then a spoonful of Nutella. Add a little 2% milk and I am good to go. Apples and cinnamon or honey and banana always makes good alternatives when I forego the Nutella.

Contemplating a multi-sport comeback
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vanilla almond milk, cinnamon, and oatmeal. Let it soak overnight.

In the morning re-heat it, add sliced banana, peanut butter, and brown sugar.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming that since your handle is "sxevegan" that you're vegan. Wouldn't have imagined that those 2 peanut butter flavors are vegan. Anyway, I am too and may have to check that out.

Just remembered that dates are also pretty good to have as a topping. Also, quite surprised that so many people go with rolled/old fashioned oats versus the steel-cut. Always thought the steel-cut oats were better/healthier.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
corneliused wrote:
I put plain old fashioned oats in a rice cooker the night before. It's a fancy rice cooker with a timer, so I set it to be done before I get up. By the time I get to it, it's cool enough to eat. I just eat it plain.

What water/oats ratio do you use. I have a rice cooker and haven't quite got the oatmeal to turn out yet. Love that I can set the timer and it is ready in the morning though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40g Porage Oats
250g Unsweetened Soy Milk

Cook.

After:
a sprinkling of dried coconut
cinnamon
tsp of honey

frozen berries to taste (and to cool that fiery tempest in a bowl down).

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just discovered peanut butter/Nutella/banana oatmeal. Amazing.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At breakfast I used to put succinat and cinnamon in it, but then realized that the oatmeal gave me horrible gas in the afternoon. Constant farting ALL afternoon.

Quote | Reply
~2:1 I like the texture that way, but I'm not exactly a picky eater.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Milk & Honey. Sometimes a little brown sugar.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
Assuming that since your handle is "sxevegan" that you're vegan. Wouldn't have imagined that those 2 peanut butter flavors are vegan. Anyway, I am too and may have to check that out.

Just remembered that dates are also pretty good to have as a topping. Also, quite surprised that so many people go with rolled/old fashioned oats versus the steel-cut. Always thought the steel-cut oats were better/healthier.

Google-fu tells me the following:

Also read that steel cut oats are basically the same as old fashioned oats, just a little less processed.
Last edited by: d00d: Jul 22, 13 11:56
Quote Reply

Prev Next