Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope..but try that McCann's Irish instant oatmeal..VERY tasty...plus I checked the panel and the instant stuff sometimes has even less sugars than the 'organic' kind.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is every morning, one cup old fashioned Quaker Oats, with a hefty spoon full of light brown sugar, paired with 2 eggs laid fresh by my little flock of 4 backyard hens and a cup of joe. For early morning rides I have a stash of instant oatmeal packets so I can just nuke 'em and go. I should get Quaker to sponsor me with the amount of oats I go through, they make good chicken scratch too!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually eat it with greek yogurt, nuts and fruit , raw oats on top and cold (european , muesli style). However have to mention with Thanksgiving around the corner hot oatmeal is awesome with left over cranberry sauce and walnuts or pecans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
OK, so I finally had the balls to do it. Yes, Sriracha sauce on my oatmeal. Why Sriracha? Well, it's pretty hot at the moment (pun intended) and has a bit of a cult following. So, if salt, pepper, and olive oil was pretty tasty, perhaps I could have a bit of luck with this combination.

Old fashioned oats, fresh ground pepper, tiny bit of sea salt (sriracha is salty enough), and a tiny bit of olive oil (I'll try it again without it).

The verdict: While it's not something I may eat for breakfast before going for a long ride, it's actually pretty good. Not as spicy as I would have anticipated given the hot oatmeal/hot sauce combo. But if you like spicy, just add more.

Next up, habañero jelly.
You my friend are a Wildman , I want to party with you ;0)

Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
This morning had steal cut oats with 2 slices of bacon mixed in and 1 egg over easy on the top. Still feeling full 6 hours later.

I tried this today. I didn't have any bacon (must fix that!) but I did add the egg and a touch of maple syrup. It was surprisingly tasty. Definitely on the schedule for another outing. :)

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same everyday; oats with about 2tbsp of coconut oil, dash of agave and a dash of plain almond milk.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello AndresLD and All,

Dr. Frank Cokan has about 20 Ironman Hawaii races under his belt.

I was on the phone with Frank and trying to impress him with my 'excellent diet' so I was telling him about my oatmeal.

On previous dinner occasions he had berated me for eating beef as it was not heart healthy so I was trying to make amends.

I said, I have a large microwave safe bowl with a handle ............. I add 1 table spoon of rolled oats ...... Ja Ja ...... he says approvingly ... (he is originally from Slovania)

then I add a tablespoon of oat bran ...... Ja Ja (I am doing pretty well so far)

and a tablespoon of quinoa ..... Ja Ja

and a tablespoon of wheat bran ..... Ja Ja

and a table spoon of polenta ..... Ja Ja

and a table spoon of steel cut oats for texture ...... Ja Ja (still winning)

add some water ..... and cook it for 10 minutes in microwave ...... YOU COOK IT???

Hard to please Frank .......... he suggested eating it raw - just blanching the polenta for a minute or so in boiling water to reduce the crunchiness.

That did not appeal to me so I still cook it ..... add berries (blueberries, raspberries, Boysenberries and non fat milk ...... enjoy ...... :)

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever try cooked grains instead of oats?
Lately my go to has been a 1 to 1 mix of amaranth and quinoa. Made in a rice cooker- just like rice.
The amaranth gives it a hot cereal like texture.
I also make a mix quinoa, millet, buckwheat and brown rice- also made in rice cooker.
I love the rice cooker because I always have food ready to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mix one 5oz container Oikos Greek nonfat yogurt with 1cup mixed berries (frozen raspberries, blueberries, blackberries: thawed in microwave), about a packet's worth of GV Quick Oats, quarter cup granola.
I started eating this instead of ice cream and junk food. Lost 25lbs this year.

Ex Race Director, put out of business by the Rona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3/4 cup whole oats and 1 tablespoon of oat bran boiled in 1 1/8 cup water. Add 1 scoop unflavored why protein powder, 1 tablespoon of half & half, 1 teaspoon light butter w/ canola oil, a dash of cinnamon, and 2 scoops brown sugar. It's a lot of carbs, but I'm worth it. lol

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Nov 25, 13 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sxevegan wrote:
I eat oatmeal and peanut butter at least 5 mornings per week...but not just any peanut butter. I use Peanut Butter and Co "White Chocolate Wonderful." I used to use PB and Co "Dark Chocolate Dreams" but the white choc is even better.

White Choc Wonderful is some amazing PB. I like all of the flavors from PB Co but the WCW is full of awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
Banana, peanut butter, honey

Usually this. Easy and tasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The latest...(I'm a 300+ days per year guy on the oats)...crockpot steel cut oats, enough for 5-7 days w/ a little vanilla soy milk, fresh flash frozen blueberries, and a tablespoon of honey. Bam.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [5stones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That stuff is more frosting than it is peanut butter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steel cut presently, quick cook.. it just means its cut a little finer AFAIK over "standard" steel cut.

This is how I eat it... couple raisins, one of these spices.... cinammon/pumpkin pie/apple pie spice and a dash of salt.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Coach's Oats. With chia and flax seeds. Topped with either dried cherries, dried blueberries, or lately dried pineapple (my favorite of the options).
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [Hounddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I would have never tried it otherwise, I had an over-medium egg on plain oatmeal yesterday. Delicious. Savory oatmeal could be the new frontier.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
Although I would have never tried it otherwise, I had an over-medium egg on plain oatmeal yesterday. Delicious. Savory oatmeal could be the new frontier.

I do this quite a bit with steel cut oatmeal. I make some in the rice cooker and divide up into quarters. Take one portion, flatten out a bit in a skillet (sort of like a thick pancake), cook on both sides. Add an egg and some spinach and goat cheese. Shake of Tabasco, salt and pepper. Very tasty.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is how you turn steel cut oats into looking like regular old fashioned oats. Cooks much quicker. Tried it at a friends house. Worked awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [martman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyday starts pretty much the same:

First: 1 kiwi
2nd : 1 bowl of 40gr of oats with 150-200 ml of cold soya-milk.
3rd: 3 slices of medium / dark bread. 1 with dark-cholocade, 1 with dark-fruit gelly and 1 with small pieces of chocolat.

Add 1 coffee (espresso-style, not brewed) and 1-2 glasses of tap-water.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [shamerli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
water, berrys (blue being my favorite), cinnamon, crushed walnuts or almonds, peanut butter, maple syrup, honey and butter. I've been thinking of adding Hersey's chocolate syrup. I wonder what that would be like.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I have been cooking my steel cut oats with a 3:1 ratio of water to oats. 1/2c oats, 1.5 c water.
But I do the overnight method: Boil water (with salt), add oats. Put a lid on the pan and stick it in fridge overnight. Then in the morning, they just need to heat up on medium.
Leaves a bit more 'al dente' type. I hate oatmeal if it's total mush.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost every mornings breakfast is oatmeal with
almond butter
ground flax seed
dried cranberries
raisins
Then I add a fresh/frozen fruit for variety. My favorite is homade rhubarb sauce, but also do berries, pomegranate seeds, etc.

When I'm in the mood for a savory breakfast I make what I call "Thai Oatmeal"
peanut butter
sriracha
shredded coconut
green onion
cilantro
ground flax seed
raisins

Its freaking delicious. I might have to make some for tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your oatmeal! [dubdeuce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is hardcore.

Mine is:

old fashioned oats
flax
natural peanut butter
banana
cinnamon
honey
milk on top

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am very particular about my oatmeal. I like it thick, not at all "soupy"...or "creamy" like my wife likes it. Mine is more "nutty". I have perfected a process that makes them turn out perfect every time. I don't add much other than a little brown sugar, but toasting the oats adds a little more flavor.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup steel cut oats
  • sprinkling of brown sugar
  • 1-1/2 cup water

Process:
  • Start boiling the water on high in a smallish saucepan.
  • At the same time, take a skillet and toast the oats over another burner on med/high...make sure to flip every once in a while to make sure they don't burn.
  • When the water is boiling, turn down to low.
  • Add the toasted oats to the water...slowly, as the added heat from toasting will make it boil over if done too fast.
  • Stir briefly.
  • Cover.
  • Turn off heat.
  • Let sit for about an hour.
  • Serve in bowl.
  • Sprinkle with brown sugar.

Quote Reply

Prev Next