Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [ldub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a PSA to everyone, the red & black Octane just showed up on http://www.theclymb.com for $170.

Right now, they have all sizes - S, M, L and XL.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
What about shorts under suit instead?

I think it's a poor choice. There aren't many instances where you would wear padded cycling shorts underneath padded tri shorts.

Seems like you would be sitting on a lot of water after the swim. You may even possibly be effectively raising your seatpost by a noticeable amount...
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perhaps...I'm just throwing it out there. But, honestly, to call that thing in the Octane (and frankly many other trisuits) a "pad" is a joke. I was thinking a Forza 4 mm under the Octane...
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the suit workout in the water without a wetsuit? Non WTC of course
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
perhaps...I'm just throwing it out there. But, honestly, to call that thing in the Octane (and frankly many other trisuits) a "pad" is a joke. I was thinking a Forza 4 mm under the Octane...

I agree with you on the use of the term "pad" for most things tri related. I suppose it's better than nothing and running with a cycling specific pad is a mess. Unless you have really skinny legs, a true pad can easily wad up between your thighs while running. Maybe triathlon is a sport of compromises.

Unless you're talking about something over a 70.3, I don't think supplementing the Octane pad is necessary......but you're the one wearing it and making the decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the pad in the Octane the same pad that is in their elite tri shorts?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Is the pad in the Octane the same pad that is in their elite tri shorts?

Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [ldub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore mine for the first time this last weekend at the PacCrest half. I really loved this suit. I'm 6'2 180 and I chose a large. The fit feels perfect. Very comfortable to run in. It even felt fast on the bike.

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming in at a little over 6'4 and 195 lbs, I'm hoping to get into the large. I see a few guys around the low 6' mark at 180 going with the large. Do you find it uber-snug or do you think I can squeeze into it?
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [CDN James] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 6'4" you should fit in the large. I am 6'1" and anywhere from 160-168 and the medium is snug.

Just played around with it a little yesterday and now that I am doing short distance stuff for the foreseeable future I think I am going to part with my suit. Down here in Texas we don't have too many wetsuit legal swims and I prefer sleeveless in the water. Suit is fine in the heat but not ideal for short distance non-wetsuit swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really depends on how you are built. I'm 6'3", 186-189# and fit very snug in a medium. The large was slightly more comfortable through the body but very baggy through the arms.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Really depends on how you are built. I'm 6'3", 186-189# and fit very snug in a medium. The large was slightly more comfortable through the body but very baggy through the arms.

I'm pretty large in the shoulders and chest with a smaller waist and large legs. Chest is about 44" so I don't think the M is an option. And if I dip into the pizza and beer a few times I tip the scales in the low 200s. I think a large is the way to go.
Fingers crossed! Found it for $175 on Amazon incl shipping to Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you unzip for the swim and run you will be happy with your choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CDN James wrote:
PeteDin206 wrote:

I'm pretty large in the shoulders and chest with a smaller waist and large legs. Chest is about 44" so I don't think the M is an option. And if I dip into the pizza and beer a few times I tip the scales in the low 200s. I think a large is the way to go.
Fingers crossed! Found it for $175 on Amazon incl shipping to Canada.

Yeah with that build the large. I am a 40-42" chest and it is snug.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any one else have chaffing issues with the suit on the swim? I wore mine at challenge AC and nearly had to stop swimming. My neck and both under arms had pretty deep cuts from it. I didn't put body glide on, I've never had to with any other tri suit
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [MFConlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam at 70.3 FL with it and had no issues. Didn't use body glide. Was it bunched up anywhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
I swam at 70.3 FL with it and had no issues. Didn't use body glide. Was it bunched up anywhere?

I don't believe so, if any thing I'd feel the worst pain as my arm was extended and just coming into the catch. It was a non-wetsuit swim so that's all I had on. After the race I looked at the inside of the suit and the seams lined up with the location of the chafe marks. I was hoping to wear it for IMMT, but no chance I'd risk it after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PUTU wrote:

Has anybody experience about this?
Last edited by: Finn73: Jul 10, 14 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [Finn73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never found out, sold mine before I could try. I knew I would be losing time in the water and wasn't worth it. Bought a Kiwami to replace it and figure if I ever do longer distances I will wear something like a Castelli top for the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [Finn73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finn73 wrote:
PUTU wrote:

Has anybody experience about this?

Other than the chafing I had, the suit was perfectly fine in the water. I most likely would of experienced even worse chafing if I was wearing a wetsuit. For the first 1,500 meters I felt great in it, wasn't restrictive in anyway. I can't verify in anyway, but I would definitely say it did not slow me down, I felt no drag at the neck or arms.
Last edited by: MFConlon: Jul 11, 14 4:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same severe chaffing issues at Challenge AC with the Octane. Prior to the race I had used the suit with a wetsuit in open water for an hour and had minimal chaffing. Not sure why it was worse without a wetsuit, but the worst feeling I had after Challenge was the chaffing under my arms and back around my shoulders.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [bri4tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bri4tri wrote:
I had the same severe chaffing issues at Challenge AC with the Octane. Prior to the race I had used the suit with a wetsuit in open water for an hour and had minimal chaffing. Not sure why it was worse without a wetsuit, but the worst feeling I had after Challenge was the chaffing under my arms and back around my shoulders.

x2 - didn't help that I didn't use any body glide at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [bri4tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bri4tri wrote:

I noticed 2-3 other people wearing it at the race, was hoping one of you would comment! I was really surprised by it. I didn't noticed too much on the bike, but the days afterward were definitely painful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam in mine today under a wetsuit with no issues. I did put body glide where the zipper and neckline are.

I'm good to go for whistler in the octane suit but will keep a pair of shorts and top in my run bag at T2 just incase I'm need to change.
Quote Reply

Prev Next