Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm amazed that I fit in a medium. It was probably a touch too tight, but after the first wash (delicate/cold/hang dry) it actually is much more comfortable. I don't think it stretched out as I've cut down to 185 right now as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [hilomike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hilomike wrote:
dangle, thanks for the thoroughly detailed description of the suit! I'm 6'0", 158lbs and am deciding between a S and M. I am thinking of going with the S for a tight fit. IMFL will be my first IM distance. I plan to wear this under a full wetsuit, and then put on cycling shorts for the ride.

Did you wear the top under the wetsuit or have it rolled down? If it was up, how did the shoulders/armpits feel under the wetsuit? If you had it rolled down, did you have any issues rolling it up in T1?

Also, how is the chamois seam? You mentioned it isn't a problem for running. I have a PI Attack tri short. Is it similar to that?

Thanks!

I'm a bit heavier than you and I wear a small. It's fine under a wetsuit, and if you choose to roll it down it's easy to put on in T1, just be careful because the zipper area can tear if the suit is really tight and you zip it up in a rush (but I wouldn't roll it down for a wetsuit swim).

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know when the yellow/red version will be available for sale?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hilomike wrote:
dangle, thanks for the thoroughly detailed description of the suit! I'm 6'0", 158lbs and am deciding between a S and M. I am thinking of going with the S for a tight fit. IMFL will be my first IM distance. I plan to wear this under a full wetsuit, and then put on cycling shorts for the ride.

Did you wear the top under the wetsuit or have it rolled down? If it was up, how did the shoulders/armpits feel under the wetsuit? If you had it rolled down, did you have any issues rolling it up in T1?

Also, how is the chamois seam? You mentioned it isn't a problem for running. I have a PI Attack tri short. Is it similar to that?

Thanks!

No idea what to tell you for sizing. Sorry. I'm still holding to the idea of chest measurement being important. If you are between sizes, go smaller. Your chest is smaller when in the aero position and you can unzip it for the swim and run. There's no way that I would ever roll it down for a wetsuit swim because I would have nothing but issues getting it back up. I'm not new to one piece suits and this has been the hardest one to get on. I have no idea how people do it wet without help from somebody else or tearing the suit. It's really lightweight fabric. FWIW, I probably have much bigger arms and shoulders than you though. We're about the same height and I'm 30+lbs heavier at ~10% BF.

Why would you wear this for the swim and then put cycling shorts on after? Maybe that's a typo...

Comparing the resistance of shoulder movement between a wetsuit and the Octane is like comparing a puddle to a lake. Maybe you will notice some shoulder resistance with the Octane alone, but you shouldn't notice further resistance while wearing a wetsuit.

Enough with the arm/shoulder wrinkle stuff. The feeling of being choked to death while swimming or running isn't worth the 0.5 watts of drag on the bike.

I'm a big fan of the cost/quality ratio of that PI Attack short. The Attack chamois is more of a fleece material and I don't know if I have ever gotten it wet before. The pad in the Octane is different. Maybe slightly less padding, but it dries well and runs just fine. It feels like there is "less" down there than the Attack. Maybe the Attack chamois is slightly more loose and can bunch up a little?

One final note, I would probably unzip the suit for the swim and try to pull the neck down a little. The higher neck of the Octane combined with a wetsuit can cause major rubbing no matter what skin prep you use. I used it zipped up for a 1.2 swim and tore up my neck pretty well. Zip it for the bike and unzip for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robin, run wrote:
Does anyone know when the yellow/red version will be available for sale?

All that is missing from this is a McDonalds logo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This must be a person to person thing. I swam with it zipped up yesterday at Syracuse and there isn't a mark to be found on my neck. I used plenty of body glide and had zero issues with it chafing me.

Also, FWIW, I am 6'0" and 168lbs and wear medium. I was really close to being able to squeeze into a small. For anyone 5lbs or so lighter I'm sure they could make that work.

Quote | Reply
It won't...they are revamping this kit and it will put into the custom line. As of right now, they have pulled the suit (pictured) from the inline options. My guess is that it will be back once the changes have been made.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It won't be.

After seeing it in the Triathlete Buyer's Guide I emailed PI before buying my Octane. They said something about the fabric they wanted to use not being up to their standards for production. Or something like that. Basically there are not any new Octane options this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also inquired with Pearl Izumi about the yellow suit. They told me the exact same thing: No new Octane suits for 2014

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
This must be a person to person thing. I swam with it zipped up yesterday at Syracuse and there isn't a mark to be found on my neck. I used plenty of body glide and had zero issues with it chafing me.

SB,

I had zero issues before, but something was different during the slightly longer swim. This hicky is still scabbed over 9 days later.

My main point was that some may be at higher risk because the neck comes up higher than most tri tops.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
All that is missing from this is a McDonalds logo.
Dammit, now I will not be able to unsee. Add in a red helmet and shoes and you're good to go.

Tossing my hat into the mix:
Size small
6'-0" and 155 lbs. Bottom heavy with t-rex arms makes it difficult to minimize wrinkles.
Swim and run unzipped but not rolled down under a wetsuit.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm going to wear cycling shorts over it for the ride. I can run a half in the attack, so hopefully no issues with the octane for the full. Yeah I have twigs for arms and legs, so the small should be fine. The inseam and arm length don't shorten with size, right? The length looks like good support. I can only find the ugly cobra commander black/red in small now. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hilomike wrote:
Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm going to wear cycling shorts over it for the ride. I can run a half in the attack, so hopefully no issues with the octane for the full. Yeah I have twigs for arms and legs, so the small should be fine. The inseam and arm length don't shorten with size, right? The length looks like good support. I can only find the ugly cobra commander black/red in small now. Oh well.

Wear cycling shorts over the Octane? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hilomike wrote:
No

So the fact that the Octane was designed to be faster aerodynamically because of less seams, sleeves and special fabric is irrelevant I guess? Throwing a pair of bike shorts over them means you will have seems and loose material where it should have been tight and smooth. You might as well just change into the bike shorts and a well fit top then change into shorts and a running shirt at T2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupidest thing I have ever read. The Octane was designed as 1 piece for aerodynamics. By adding cycling shorts...you are wasting time putting them on and taking them off. This negates any aerodynamic advantage. Either buy the suit and wear it the way it was designed...or don't wear it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering going with the split style. I could try changing out my shorts, but I would have to run to the bathroom then back to my bike? I was interested in this suit because of the shoulder coverage. I think it being a full suit would be comfortable for the whole ride? Like I said, this is my first IM distance. I am more interested in comfort so I can finish. Maybe after I finish my first IM, get as fast as you guys, and get in more ride time so I can handle the ride with just a felt pad, I'll consider riding the entire thing in just this suit. Besides...10 seconds to put on shorts and 3 seconds to take them off. How long does it take you to dress?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If comfort os the main concern with sunburn avoidance a close second, why not ride with regular bike shorts (or good tri shorts - I find Skinfit shorts comfortable enough for 250km rides) and a regular jersey? Plenty of folks do that when they're not aiming for top times.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my size large from Sierra Trading Post last night. I'm 180lbs, 6'0" with a slightly long torso. Fit is great, but I think I could have easily sized down. I'm hoping to go down another 10 pounds and I expect that the large will be too big at that point. Overall I love the fit and quality. The only place I have wrinkles right now is on the front of the shoulders and I think I can probably work those out.

Having come from only ever wearing split kits I wasn't prepared for just how "on display" the one piece makes you feel. Good thing I don't have confidence issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hilomike wrote:
Considering going with the split style. I could try changing out my shorts, but I would have to run to the bathroom then back to my bike? I was interested in this suit because of the shoulder coverage. I think it being a full suit would be comfortable for the whole ride? Like I said, this is my first IM distance. I am more interested in comfort so I can finish. Maybe after I finish my first IM, get as fast as you guys, and get in more ride time so I can handle the ride with just a felt pad, I'll consider riding the entire thing in just this suit. Besides...10 seconds to put on shorts and 3 seconds to take them off. How long does it take you to dress?

Then why spend that much money on the octane? If comfort is what your looking for just wear your cycling shorts and a cycling top for the shoulder coverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hilomike wrote:

Your IM will have a change tent where you can change and a lot of people will be changing in. No shame in wearing what is comfortable but putting bike shorts over an octane suit is a bit of a waste for the reasons given above. Have you ridden with bike shorts over tri shorts (or the octane suit) before? I can't imagine it would be very comfortable. Given that you will probably have to use the restroom on the bike as well a one piece is not the ideal. I'm actually even debating if I will race in it for my first IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wore mine in the Kansas 70.3 and loved it. I am 5'-11" and 153 with a 30" waist and 39" chest. Mine is a medium.

Quote | Reply
I was also considering using the octane alone for HIMs. Also want the shoulder coverage during the run without changing. The PI elite tri top I picked up should do the job. If my sit bones develop an immunity by race time, I might just use bike shorts. Maybe it's just this seat... another story. Thanks for the help. Gonna stick with a split suit for the IM
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used it Sunday for an Oly and it was great!

Prob using for IMLP as well.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Last edited by: LuisDF: Jun 24, 14 11:29
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [crambo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about shorts under suit instead?
Quote Reply

Prev Next